837 W. Fulton Market
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thepublicanrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3127339555
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday*: 3:30pm - 10:30pm
Friday*: 3:30pm - 11:30pm
Saturday Brunch: 10am-2:00pm
Saturday Dinner*: 3:30pm-11:30pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am-2:00pm
Sunday Dinner: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
* denotes abbreviated afternoon menu from 3:30pm-5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Paul Kahan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: In cooperation with the Greater Chicagoland Food Depository, Publican is accepting donations from Monday, March 18th through Sunday, March 24th.
In appreciation for your contribution, the Publican will be extending a voucher redeemable anytime for a beer, pork rinds or pastries depending on availability.
A word from The Publican
From the team behind Blackbird and avec comes this homage to beer, pork, and fish. Executive Chef Paul Kahan and Chef de Cuisine Brian Huston have developed a network of proveyors to supply the restaurant with hand-selected, sustainably-harvested fish and seafood as well as sustainably-raised heirloom pork to anchor a rustic menu of simple, eclectic fare. The extensive international beer list, developed by partners Eduard Seitan and Terry Alexander, features 100 or so ales, lagers, stouts and ciders by the bottle, 12 of those available on tap. Like Blackbird and avec, The Publican is a design partnership from the James Beard Award-winning team of Thomas Schlesser and partner Donnie Madia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Publican reviews from OpenTable diners
509 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (391)good for groups (260)hot spot (245)neighborhood gem (159)special occasion (158)great for brunch (157)great for outdoor dining (123)vibrant bar scene (60)great for lunch (56)notable wine list (49)late-night find (33)romantic (30)kid-friendly (23)scenic view (6)Show More
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014I had higher expectations of this place. While the cocktails and ambiance are very nice, the brunch food was just okay. I had the pimento cheese toast and felt like it was more of a junk food with the pimento cheese slathered on. It wasn't bad but nothing remarkable either.Special Features:
- Exceeded expectations!TMatDined on 8/28/2014Had been hearing about The Publican for years. Finally made it there - what a treat! I knew they were about the meat, and especially pork. What I did not know was they have a "small plate" (generous, however) to share. We were advised "about 2 plates per person" is the way to go. We had: Daily pickles (dills, red onions, cauliflower) Taste of three hams Hen with pork belly sausage stuffed inside Clams Pork shank For 2 ambitious eaters, this was perfect. Every dish was sublime, and featured simple ingredients elevated way behind my imagination! Superb service - can't wait to go again !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!OsmeyersDined on 8/25/2014Food was a 10. Amazing!!! Service was a bit slow and confusing could Benefit from a few more servers. Although slow the servers/waiters were all great when they were aroundSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014the food was good, but definitely over-priced. the restaurant was extremely loud and it was difficult to have a conversation with one other person at the communalt table.
- I was expecting moredc4916Dined on 8/24/2014There were some parts of Publican that were excellent, but the overall experience felt lacking, mainly due to an indifferent waiter. We ordered the ceviche and the trio of hams to start. Both were excellent. We ordered the suckling pig, which was over-crispy and a little dry (and now off menu). We had beets and another vegetable dish that were both excellent as well. We had the peach tart for dessert, which was very good since it wasn't super-sweet. Service-wise, the rest of the staff outside of our waiter was great, but our waiter left major gaps in time when checking in. We may have ordered more after our appetizers came out if he stopped by, and it felt like we were ready to order dessert for a good 15-20 minutes before he came back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't love for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/24/2014I've ordered from Publican before for a client event and they did a great job. Meat and cheese trays, sandwiches, salads, it was delicious. So when it was my turn to pick a brunch place, I thought we'd try it. I didn't love it for brunch. The indoor seating is all community style, it was very loud in there (which makes it hard to catch up with friends) and the food was just ok. I ordered the Red Wine Poached Eggs and they were over cooked and the toast was so hard I needed a steak knife to cut it. Our server seemed over us from the get go and so the service was just ok. Food has potential.. just might be better for a later-in-the-day meal.Special Features:
- WowJB89Dined on 8/23/2014A "must-go destination" un Chicago! We had a wonderfull time. The chicken is one of the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of BrunchAmaKDined on 8/23/2014Food is impeccable and the bloody mary's are amazing!Special Features:
- Great service, delicious food!patang01Dined on 8/23/2014The food was amazing, and the service was above and beyond. Apparently, the kitchen was backed up because of a ticketing issue, which delayed our food. But we didn't even notice until our server brought us a pecan sticky bun and a doughnut on the house as an apology! Totally unnecessary, but so delicious and appreciated.Special Features:
- foodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014Sat outside - very noisy inside. Communal dining. Brunch was excellent - waiter brought check before asking whether we wanted to order anything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Noisy for SeniorsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Came for brunch after having enjoyed dinner, drinks, and appetizers on previous occasions. The food, as always, was superb. The staff was friendly, responsive, and knowledgeable. My mother was in from out-of-town and we had a group of four that sat at the communal tables. Unfortunately, for a senior citizen whose hearing is no longer at the top of its game (or even a person's whose is), the Publican gets LOUD. I doubt sitting in the corral booth would have helped as sound is amplified and carried throughout the entire space. While I'm glad I got to share some delicious food with my mom, I doubt she heard most of the conversations happening throughout the meal. Great spot, but better for younger folk who don't mind shouting over their food.Special Features:
- Great Breakfast!luvgoodfoodDined on 8/23/2014I had the Lobster Scramble...loved it. Nice chunks of lobster and creme fraiche gave it a nice creamy texture. I didn't have the French Toast but, it looked awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid, classic Chicago restaurantshanghaijbDined on 8/20/2014It was my second time at The Publican, and it is the favourite of many of my friends. Food was excellent, they have a good selection of wine and beer, and service is always friendly and casual yet professional. The only downside is the noise. That's why I would recommend going with a group otherwise a discussion at 2 or 3 people may be a challenge.Special Features:
- Still the bestachallengerVIPDined on 8/20/2014Just returned to The Publican for the first time in eight months. It's still my favorite restaurant in Chicago. A refreshing culinary experience every visit. This was the second time I ordered duck hearts, but the preparation had shifted so dramatically, it was a different meal. And for the less adventurous members of my party, there was juicy chicken and sausage served with french fries.Special Features:
- MixedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014Loved the corn dish. Did not understand plating a clear/white fish on a white plate. Enjoyed the duck but it was very salty. Great pawpaw beer.Special Features:
- Was Expecting MoreCincyExplorerDined on 8/17/2014Went on a personal recommendation for brunch. Had an 11:30 reservation but was running late. Called and they said they'd hold it for 15 minutes. Frantically got there with two minutes to spare and they had already given the table away with no apologies. Sat at a communal table, which was fine. Service began with "You guys ready to order, or...?" Both brunch dishes were too salty. House mimosa with Bruxelles instead of champagne was a nice idea, but I wouldn't get it again. We were visiting from out of town. With the explosion of craft food all over the country, we can get food just as good and creative at home. Service and overall experience make the difference.Special Features:
- another excellent mealichabod777VIPDined on 8/15/2014I eat at The Publican every time I am in Chicago. The menu is seasonal and the preparation excellent, matching the service. Jordan is a terrific server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointingjanschoiceVIPDined on 8/15/2014Arrived at 6pm w-reservation. offered us 2 seats at the banquet table. Asked for 2 top, but was told they hold those to put together for "large" parties? Don't they know their own reservations? Chose to sit outside. I had chicken liver pate that was a mousse, not pate, smothered in blueberry topping (think ice cream sunday) and lots of chopped green onions. It was horrible. My husband's beet salad was good. I had chicken and frites - the plate was full of juice making all the frites soggy - horrible. My husband had the whole fish that disappeared for 10 minutes to debone, while my food got cold. Even deboning left so many bones, he stopped eating it. I would never recommend this place to anyone wanting more than beer and apps.
- Delicious Food!YumsDined on 8/14/2014Went here with a friend that was visiting. Started with oysters, assorted hams, and the charcuterie plate. The charcuterie plate was absolutely amazing. Ordered the farm chicken with sausage and the boudin for our entrees. The chicken was very tender and the duck fat fries were mouth watering. The boudin was so tender and juicy with the added caviar and double fried potatoes, it made this dish even more impressive. We also had the side of asparagus that was tossed in the mustard (Which we loved so much, that we went and bought two bottles of it from the market across the street).Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014Everything about our meal was amazing! The food was over the top great and our service was top notch. The duck hearts are the highlight of our trip to Chicago. Our 10 year old tried them and loved them! Thanks for making our daughters 8th birthday even more special. Everyone at Publican out did themselves! You are all deserving of a big thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014If you're looking to try something different than the traditional restaurant setting, the Publican is a must. This is great for large groups with the communal seating, but also great for a small group with the booths and small tables that surround the place. The menu changes daily and offers a substantial variety of seafood, meat, and vegetables. Also, the beer/wine list is extensive and complements the meal very well. Overall, a great experience.Special Features:
- Good Morning WakeupOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014Excellent find. Located across from their own meat shop and seemed to be tucked into a meat packing area. The inside has a college dormatory canteen feel to it. Lots of energy. The food and libations came quickly and were delicious. Highly recommend as a brunch spot. Get the blood sausage. Location wise, it's only about a 15 to 20 minute Divvy bike ride from Trump.Special Features:
- Bacon. Doughnut. Brunch.ged64Dined on 8/10/2014The bacon is poetic - a thick, rustic slab of brute force pork resplendent in a pool of maple-bourbon glaze. The doughnut is sublime - a dense buttermilk-glazed tower of childhood nostalgia. The brunch is robust - a thick, buttery pile of lobster scramble with tangy sourdough toast, a succulent confit of duck, and some red-wine poached eggs that proclaims obvious indulgence in their name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BACONBaconInMyFaceDined on 8/9/2014The bacon is soaked in maple syrup and is about an inch thick, its heavenly. The smokin' mary (bloody mary) is perfect and comes with a side of delicious craft beer. I had the lobster scramble with creme fraiche. The eggs are cooked perfectly (moist) and the flavor is epic. My fiance had the corn hash and was really pleased with it as well. The food here is amazing at brunch, excited to try dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked brunch, wish more optionsLP21VIPDined on 8/9/2014I have been to Publican before and the food is always good, but I wish they had some more brunch options. I'm not a picky eater and did not really love any of the options. It was good though, and the atmosphere is always fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good brunchAnonymousDined on 8/9/2014The brunch food was as good as, though not better than, a lot of Chicago's better brunch places, and the outdoor seating on the right day is exceptional. The service was surprisingly hands-off and somewhat absent. Enjoyable as before, and it's a great feature that they take reservations.Special Features:
- Great food, unfortunate serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014My fourth time dining at The Publican and the first time I have ever had bad service. Our waitress was forgetful and slow. I never received a beer that I ordered or bread that was requested at least four times. Long stretches of time would pass without any acknowledgement or inquiry on her part. We would have ordered more food and drinks had she been on top of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food pretty good - service lousyGordonKDined on 8/7/2014Had a good time until halfway through our meal when the service disappeared. Waited, and waited for one of our main courses. Waiter was ineffectual, never did tell us what happened. Manager wasn't much more help. Ended up comping us dessert and after-dinner drinks but that's not what we came for. Very strange experience.
- Service was fabulouslstephensdinnerpublicanDined on 8/7/2014I would recommend this type of dining, I enjoyed the style of the food coming out at the right times.Special Features:
- publicandondonDined on 8/5/2014Wow! Didn't especially like the community seating or the noise level but since the restaurant wasn't full, they sat us separately. Also took us right on the dot. The waitress (Katelyn) was adorable and enthusiastic and oh so helpful in choosing dishes that went together well. Delicious and unique.Special Features:
- Great Spot - Exceptional food!BrittanyYYCDined on 8/4/2014Great spot for a casual night out with a group or 2-20! Outstanding food, everything we had was delicious and unique and perfectly portioned for sharing. Loved the fun, casual atmosphere and vibe in the place - reasonable price point as well so this place is really a gem!Special Features:
- My favorite Chicago eatery!donnakDined on 8/3/2014After having an amazing experience last August we decided to re-visit The Publican during our recent visit. Once again the food was excellent and by far the best dining experience in Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jamkhDined on 8/2/2014My best dining experience in Chicago. Health/sourcing, flavor, overall sensory experience were all fabulous and perfectly aligned.
- delicious!pickychicDined on 8/2/2014we were seated promptly when our entire party arrived, they were considerate when one guest was late because of parking. we ordered drinks & the bar was backed up, so the server brought us complimentary coffee cake. our entrees were amazing. custard French toast, the lobster scramble, & the fried chicken. will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the Bacon!ninjaDined on 8/2/2014Best place in Chicago for Brunch! I bring everyone who visits from out of town here; and they always leave happy :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unpleasant dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/1/2014Visited The Publican on a weekend trip to Chicago. It was a low spot in an otherwise great weekend. Lousy service, miscommunication with our server probably due to the noise levels in there and food that doesn't live up to the hype. Also it extremely frustrating when a restaurant runs out of an popular item on the menu and says this always happens. Be better prepared and make sure there's enough on hand.Special Features:
- Deafening but Delicious DinneriwuproDined on 8/1/2014We enjoyed a truly mouthwatering and interesting meal with remarkably attentive and friendly service. This is an ingredient-focused restaurant. The charcuterie, jamon, pork rinds, custom genever, house-made pickles, cheese course, and fish were all first rate. It was also the loudest dinner either of us recalls having. We cannot go back it was so painful. The clientele have good reason to be enthusiastic, but they were all screaming because they couldn't hear each other due to how acoustically live the space is. Please put some cloth on the walls or ceiling dampers.Special Features:
- Not for kidsRobWDined on 8/1/2014I made the mistake of going with my two sons. They have an adventurous menu. Even the safer options (like fried cod) had unique takes that made them not-so-friendly for kids. In asking if they could admend an item or offer a kid friendly dish, I was told NO. Felt very short-sighted. There are so many options in Chicago; I was surprised by their lack of effort.
- AmyuDined on 7/31/2014Food was fantastic! The pork rinds were delicious. Only problem was a few things didn't come out without asking for them but the server was perfectly apologetic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/31/2014Great experience! We will go back! Waiter was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.