837 W. Fulton Market
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thepublicanrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3127339555x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday*: 3:30pm - 10:30pm
Friday*: 3:30pm - 11:30pm
Saturday Brunch: 10am-2:00pm
Saturday Dinner*: 3:30pm-11:30pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am-2:00pm
Sunday Dinner: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
* denotes abbreviated afternoon menu from 3:30pm-5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Paul Kahan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: In cooperation with the Greater Chicagoland Food Depository, Publican is accepting donations from Monday, March 18th through Sunday, March 24th.
In appreciation for your contribution, the Publican will be extending a voucher redeemable anytime for a beer, pork rinds or pastries depending on availability.
A word from The Publican
From the team behind Blackbird and avec comes this homage to beer, pork, and fish. Executive Chef Paul Kahan and Chef de Cuisine Cosmo Goss have developed a network of proveyors to supply the restaurant with hand-selected, sustainably-harvested fish and seafood as well as sustainably-raised heirloom pork to anchor a rustic menu of simple, eclectic fare. The extensive international beer list, developed by partners Eduard Seitan and Terry Alexander, features 100 or so ales, lagers, stouts and ciders by the bottle, 12 of those available on tap. Like Blackbird and avec, The Publican is a design partnership from the James Beard Award-winning team of Thomas Schlesser and partner Donnie Madia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Publican - Best Restaurants in West Loop ›
The Publican reviews from OpenTable diners
514 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (404)good for groups (267)hot spot (253)neighborhood gem (162)great for brunch (156)special occasion (138)great for outdoor dining (109)great for lunch (56)vibrant bar scene (50)notable wine list (41)late-night find (25)romantic (24)kid-friendly (18)scenic view (5)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014First time dining at the Publician. The food, atmosphere and vibe were awesome. We enjoyed our meal but unfortunately our server was not up to the same standards. The server was not engaged with our table, we had to flag him down for a second drink. As soon as our meal was finished he brought the bill without asking if we wanted another drink, coffee or dessert. We took our time finishing our drinks and we felt that we were being rushed out the door even though the restaurant was not full.Special Features:
- Wonderful brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014Couldn't have chosen a better restaurant for a Sunday brunch. Food & service were great! We will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- brunch visitOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/19/2014Food was delicious..pancake wrapped chicken thigh was awesome. Bacon rinds were something new to taste. Crunchy and nicely seasoned. The maple glazed bacon was very good...thick and juicy. Dining partner had lobster eggs...nice portion of seafood, but neighbor next to us had a smaller lobster portion. Sizes should be looked at closer before leaving the kitchen.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014The publican is a very interesting restaurant. Dishes are intended to share. The blend of flavors and cuisines were unique. The spicy pork rinds were amazing. I would recommend to any foodie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicago stapleSilverWk2VIPDined on 10/15/2014Friendly service amazing charcuterie and cheese plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousgetinmybellyDined on 10/14/2014My title says it all. this place is delicious and is a must-visit in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HorsebleepDined on 10/14/2014A favorite for us. It's foremost on our minds for special occasions or for when a little self-indulgence is in order.Special Features:
- Pork & Beer Lovers' DreamOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 10/13/2014The beers available looked impressive, and I wish I could have tried them all. The wine list looked great as well, distinguished by not only red or white, but the flavors behind the grapes as well. The food was superb. We had one seafood dish (scallops), two meat dishes (pork belly and duck sausage) and one vegetable (marinated eggplant) for two, and it was a perfect amount of food. The taste of each dish was spot on, and the marinated eggplant with Harissa and beets being our favorite.Special Features:
- Young crowdJackMVIPDined on 10/13/2014Mostly for the young. Group tables with loads of obvious friends out for a good time. Food very good. Some issues with service. Two dishes that were ordered arrived twice and had to be sent back. Waiter was very good and attentive.Special Features:
- brunchkittyDined on 10/12/2014We enjoyed the food immensely and the bloody mary's. Service was excellent and helpful with choice selection. Neighborhood find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- People make for a great experience!foodie4dinnerVIPDined on 10/11/2014Being from Vancouver, Canada (but well-travelled) we love the social scene in other cities (heaven forbid a Vancouverite actually meet someone new at a social table back home!!) and the Publican delivers great beer, outstanding gastropub food and delivers the goods with social tables and friendly Chicago locals. Not for the introverted ... We loved it all! Be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itNomnomnomVIPDined on 10/11/2014The best brunch I've had in a long time. The beer list is EXCEPTIONAL.Special Features:
- DawnandSandyDined on 10/9/2014Publican is one of my favorite restaurants and is always worth a re-visit. This was no exception. My only gripe was that I wish our server had taken a more active role in helping us order, as has been the case previously. We asked for recommendations, and they were listed without much explanation or reasoning. One dish was thoroughly explained to us, but only as it was being cleared. Not a huge deal, just the difference between a good experience and a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceEat2liveDined on 10/8/2014Great atmosphere, Great food, Great service. The Dover sole and pork shank are amazing.Special Features:
- A Celebration of All Things PorkOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/8/2014A truly unique and wonderful dining experience. The pork rinds are a must. The Belgian and Belgian-style beer selection is beyond description. We had the pork shank with smoked potatoes for our entree and side. Both were wonderful. This will be a regular stop for us whenever we are in Chicago.Special Features:
- great for the vegan of the family!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2014they put together a great vegetarian plate! my meat loving family love this place and I have to say its really good. They have a great ventilation system they place does not smell offensiveSpecial Features:
- Farm to overly tight TableBatailleDined on 10/8/2014Some appetizers were ok. Got the notion of providing the seafood or meat option. Veg choices were insignificant. Too bad given its emphasis on meat, the chef didn't delve more into sweetbreads or at least try a terrine of pork. It's really a very vibrant social scene where after work coworkers can share (family-style seems to be the theme) some dishes and drink it's fantastically varied and extensive craft beer list. For a fun place to just decompress from a long day at work, I would highly recommend this place, but not for a decent meal. Note, service is excellent!Special Features:
- NoisyNycdinerVIPDined on 10/7/2014This restaurant is so noisy that my husband and I couldn't even speak. The food was just ok. Certainly not what I expected. With no alcohol, our bill was $70. We only ordered 3 items. Rather expensive.Special Features:
- Just the name!CarlosJMVIPDined on 10/4/2014Food and Ambiance are a big OK, but that's about it. Oysters and desserts are very very good but main courses were less than ok and the BIG issue was that we had to wait for and HOUR AND A HALF for a duck breast that came kind of cold. Chef send us a couple more dishes of Ribeye and beets as an apology but again those were at best OK. My advice is go somewhere else, really.Special Features:
- SheilaVIPDined on 10/4/2014Had dinner there a few weeks ago "Outstanding" Had brunch this last visit. 2 of the 4 meals were great. However, my meal was the pimento cheese toast. It was awful. I enjoy salty things but this tasted like they accidentally dumped an entire box of salt on it.Special Features:
- shiningVIPDined on 10/4/2014food is great. but the server wants us out after one and half hour.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for large groupsAshandmVIPDined on 10/2/2014The food was amazing. Portions are bit small for family style, but love the idea of trying different types of meat. It's a great place for a group setting not very romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PublicanLsmuzDined on 10/2/2014Food was good large portions. Sound level very loud, seating arrangement like southern outdoor bbq. Good lighting. Liked the seasonal sides made with creative combinationsSpecial Features:
- Great food and great serviceKCM1Dined on 9/28/2014Wonderful dining experience. Great tasty dishes. Joanna is a great waitress. She knows the menu and made excellent suggestions.Special Features:
- loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014The service was amazing, as were both food and people.Special Features:
- Superior food superior serviceIzzyDined on 9/28/2014We been to Publican numerous times for dinner. This was our first time going for brunch. We arrived at 9:30 so it was not too busy. If you haven't been here before, you should know that unless you are a twosome you will likely get seated at a communal table. The place was pretty empty so they seated us at the end so are good before could be alone. Unlike dinner they suggested that each of us get our own dish. When my wife's order arrived she didn't realize that it included beans. It was a tasty dish just not something she wanted. The server immediately whipped out a menu and ask her what she would like instead without asking any questions. They replaced her dish quickly and delightfully. That kind of a service is a rarity this day and age.Special Features:
- Good brunch but overhypedDFIDinerVIPDined on 9/28/2014Went for brunch and took advantage of warm weather to sit outside. Kind of cramped, but nice to be outside. Non-traditional menu, but that's ok. Frites with eggs were way over salted. Sourdough pancake was good. Coffee cake was good, but not to die for as the server suggested. Great OJ. Took 4 tries to get some ice and it wasn't that crowded yet. Overall it was fine, but expected more given the reviews on OT and other websites.
- Meat Lovers RejoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/27/2014The Publican was a really cool and unique dining experience. Seated right when we got there at one of their many communal tables. A little disappointed we didn't get to sit in one of their booths - each had their own door - pretty fun! The service was amazing - our waiter was extremely knowledgable about the menu and, being that all dishes are meant to be shared - he was a great guide in letting us know when we had ordered the right amount. My boyfriend and I had been wanting to eat here for awhile - really glad we did! Would definitely return. Great place to take out of town guests!Special Features:
- Excellent food and service!FoodDivaDined on 9/25/2014Food was amazing but what wowed me was the service. In any restaurant, no matter how great the food, service can affect your overall dining experience. I highly recommend the oysters and the ginger beer cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceFreddyAndCompanyDined on 9/24/2014The atmosphere was lively, though a bit noisy. We were lucky to get one of the four person booths which afforded us a little more privacy as opposed to the communal seating. Everything on the menu looked good and our server was really helpful with describing the menu items and helping us make just the right choices. The food was delicious, both fresh and well prepared. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eat. Very trendy.HappyEater56Dined on 9/21/2014Very extensive menu using seasonal and a lot of locally sourced food, although some fish was from other countries. Plates are generally to share as entrees, for example, may not all come out of the kitchen at the same time. Large variation is portions - the waiter explained that the further down the menu, the larger the plate, although this did not always seem to be correct. The wine list does not have any US wines (only European wines). If they are promoting local food, they could / should promote US wines. As a non-American, I was not impressed by this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014The food was great...not enough waiters....so service was bad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traveled 800 miles for brunchehnoelDined on 9/21/2014I live in NYC now, but every time I go back to Chicago I have to eat at Publican for brunch--one of my absolute favorites in the city due to the boozy brunch drinks and array of savory and sweet menu items available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JUST OKjtsourDined on 9/20/2014Publican really didn't impress. The prices for things were outrageous. We has a sashimi plate for $18 and the amount of fish was no bigger than a silver dollar. The service is extremely slow. The rest of the food except the barbecued carrots was just not all that new and exciting. Publican made us leave there wanting more and broke. I would not go back. There was little imagination.Special Features:
- A great recommendation!ChrisDined on 9/20/2014I came to this restaurant on my first visit to Chicago this past weekend (beautiful, magnificent city). The President of the company I work for has dined here twice, and highly suggested checking this place out. The food was absolutely to die for, and I wish I could have ordered one of everything from the menu! Can't wait to come back to Chicago, and The Publican!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Killer BrunchNomnomnomVIPDined on 9/20/2014The Publican is one of my all time favorite brunch spots. Amazing food and beer list! The ambiance is a little crazy, but that's the way it's designed so if you are looking for something quiet and private, go somewhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to order the entire menu!DaveInChicagoVIPDined on 9/20/2014And we almost did. Every dish we tried was excellent; oysters, bacon, lobster scramble and a few others all exceeded expectations. The only negative is that they don't serve espresso drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not great food bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014This place is regarded among the upper tier or Chicago restaurants and I can't leave a negative review about the food to take it out of this tier, the food was good. However, the waitstaff is better at 95% of other restaurants in the city. The bus boys are great but the over all service gets a poor enough grade that the next time I want to go to a nice restaurant I will choose somewhere else.Special Features:
- Overpriced MehCaligirl74Dined on 9/20/2014The seating style is shared long tables, so you will sit next to strangers. Also, we had various beverages splashed on us since it is difficult for the wait staff to reach over peoples' heads and pour and there is no end of the table to pour from due to the way the communal seating is set up. At one point coffee was poured on the table and they didn't clean it up until we asked 2x. My friend just had to stand there waiting for someone to come take care of a spill she didn't cause. The food was good, very good, not outstanding or great. Finally, at the end of our meh experience my other friend found 2 hairs baked right into her sourdough pancake. They took the pancake off the bill but left on her drinks and never even said sorry. Meh -
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014Very nice restaurant and food. Sat outside on a lovely evening. Service was excellent. Great beer selection. Had one of the rib dishes w/ apple salad. Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.