837 W. Fulton Market
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thepublicanrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3127339555x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday*: 3:30pm - 10:30pm
Friday*: 3:30pm - 11:30pm
Saturday Brunch: 10am-2:00pm
Saturday Dinner*: 3:30pm-11:30pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am-2:00pm
Sunday Dinner: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
* denotes abbreviated afternoon menu from 3:30pm-5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Paul Kahan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: In cooperation with the Greater Chicagoland Food Depository, Publican is accepting donations from Monday, March 18th through Sunday, March 24th.
In appreciation for your contribution, the Publican will be extending a voucher redeemable anytime for a beer, pork rinds or pastries depending on availability.
A word from The Publican
From the team behind Blackbird and avec comes this homage to beer, pork, and fish. Executive Chef Paul Kahan and Chef de Cuisine Cosmo Goss have developed a network of proveyors to supply the restaurant with hand-selected, sustainably-harvested fish and seafood as well as sustainably-raised heirloom pork to anchor a rustic menu of simple, eclectic fare. The extensive international beer list, developed by partners Eduard Seitan and Terry Alexander, features 100 or so ales, lagers, stouts and ciders by the bottle, 12 of those available on tap. Like Blackbird and avec, The Publican is a design partnership from the James Beard Award-winning team of Thomas Schlesser and partner Donnie Madia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Publican - Best Restaurants in West Loop ›
The Publican reviews from OpenTable diners
514 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (408)good for groups (266)hot spot (259)neighborhood gem (163)great for brunch (163)special occasion (136)great for outdoor dining (107)great for lunch (53)vibrant bar scene (50)notable wine list (42)romantic (26)late-night find (22)kid-friendly (19)scenic view (5)Show More
- IndulgentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/27/2014Publican asserts its authority in all things beer, pork, oysters and conviviality. Come hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceChicagonativeDined on 10/26/2014service was not rushed, great food brought to the table. As a first time diner, the server gave a great overview and recommendations on food and number of selections. Loved everything. Only caveat is that if you want a non-sharing table, you have to request that when reserving. Didn't know that, but they had a cancellation and was able to accommodate. Sitting with a group would be okay, but have a friend in from out of town and we wanted to catch up.Special Features:
- While I don't eat pork....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014My family and I always enjoy ourselves at the Publican. Even though I don't eat pork, the rest of my family devours it :) The Publican's menu is diverse and unique enough to keep everyone at the table happy. Plus the decor and service are always outstanding. I recommend the lobster scramble for brunch, and the bacon is a must.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Loud, fun atmosphere with great food. I am really glad we had a reservation as it was very crowded.Special Features:
- LoveChicagonomadDined on 10/25/2014I cannot write a good enough review for this place. I have heard all the hype surrounding it, and it lived up to every bit of it. There is a fun "home kitchen" vibe to the dining room with high backed wood chairs and the exposed wooden beams. The staff is great. Incredibly friendly and knowledgeable and the whole atmosphere is very laid back and welcoming. The coffee is fantastic and I love the raw sugar cubes. I had the pimento toast for my brunch meal and was amazed. Nothing beats a fried egg, ham, cheese, and carbs. Everything meshed perfectly and the combination of the gooey yolk, crunchy toast and nice sharp bite of cheese with a little bit of smoky ham was simply fantastic. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Delicious!MeaghanVIPDined on 10/25/2014One of the best brunches in Chicago, but true to Chicago form, don't expect to be eating healthy!Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014One of my favorite brunches. Absolutely excellent. Waiter was great; knew EVERYTHING menu knowledge-wise. He was able to explain all ingredients. He was very proud of the food and experience. Highly recommend the publican for brunch. We had the shakshouka, waffles, coffee, mimosas, and candied maple bacon. Everything was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous!kellynDined on 10/23/2014My experience at the Publican was great! The service was superb and i loved all the sour beers on tap. The raw bar items i got were really fresh and i enjoyed the brussel sprouts and weisswurst sausage as well. I live in nyc but will definitely be making the trip back to chicago to go to the publican again soon i hope!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Group was in AWESheSheDined on 10/23/2014We brought a crew in from Europe and they were in heaven. They loved every single item from the apple salad, ham selection and fish. We also had wine and the entire dinner for the group was well within budget. The conversations about the loo went on into the next day. We will be back again and again!Special Features:
- Worth the tripdininginCLEVIPDined on 10/22/2014We travelled many miles to visit The Publican. The food, service and atmosphere made it all worthwhile. Can't wait to get back.Special Features:
- LondonDined on 10/19/2014First time dining at the Publician. The food, atmosphere and vibe were awesome. We enjoyed our meal but unfortunately our server was not up to the same standards. The server was not engaged with our table, we had to flag him down for a second drink. As soon as our meal was finished he brought the bill without asking if we wanted another drink, coffee or dessert. We took our time finishing our drinks and we felt that we were being rushed out the door even though the restaurant was not full.Special Features:
- Good, just not great this timedcpolDined on 10/19/2014I've been to the Publican several times and the service is always fantastic. However, this was my least favorite food experience. I went with a friend who doesn't eat pork and she had a really hard time finding something on the brunch menu. I felt like there wasn't as much variety as there normally is with regards to meat choices. My husband ordered the oven baked pancake and it was not that great. Really gooey with hunks of sausage in it--the textures didn't combine well and he said it sat like a rock in his stomach. I had the red beans and rice which was good, but not phenomenal (which is what I usually expect from here). Not my favorite time there, but I'm sure I'll be back. As always, great bacon, great hash browns.Special Features:
- Wonderful brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014Couldn't have chosen a better restaurant for a Sunday brunch. Food & service were great! We will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- brunch visitSuMEDined on 10/19/2014Food was delicious..pancake wrapped chicken thigh was awesome. Bacon rinds were something new to taste. Crunchy and nicely seasoned. The maple glazed bacon was very good...thick and juicy. Dining partner had lobster eggs...nice portion of seafood, but neighbor next to us had a smaller lobster portion. Sizes should be looked at closer before leaving the kitchen.Special Features:
- Great foodrhamlinjDined on 10/17/2014The publican is a very interesting restaurant. Dishes are intended to share. The blend of flavors and cuisines were unique. The spicy pork rinds were amazing. I would recommend to any foodie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, Creative CuisineGonzo70VIPDined on 10/15/2014Publican is one of Chicago's gems for creative, delicious, seasonal cuisine. Wonderful balance of seafood, meat and vegetable focused selections - I definitely recommend ordering at least one dish from each category. The sweet potato/sunchoke/goat cheese dish was my favorite veggie dish of the year. Add to that a lively & energetic vibe, friendly staff, top notch bar program, decent portions and reasonable prices and it makes for an all around wonderful meal. Oh and be sure to save room for dessert; Anna Shovers is one of Chicago's upper echelon pastry chefs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicago stapleSilverWk2VIPDined on 10/15/2014Friendly service amazing charcuterie and cheese plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousgetinmybellyDined on 10/14/2014My title says it all. this place is delicious and is a must-visit in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HorsebleepDined on 10/14/2014A favorite for us. It's foremost on our minds for special occasions or for when a little self-indulgence is in order.Special Features:
- Pork & Beer Lovers' DreamOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 10/13/2014The beers available looked impressive, and I wish I could have tried them all. The wine list looked great as well, distinguished by not only red or white, but the flavors behind the grapes as well. The food was superb. We had one seafood dish (scallops), two meat dishes (pork belly and duck sausage) and one vegetable (marinated eggplant) for two, and it was a perfect amount of food. The taste of each dish was spot on, and the marinated eggplant with Harissa and beets being our favorite.Special Features:
- Young crowdJackMVIPDined on 10/13/2014Mostly for the young. Group tables with loads of obvious friends out for a good time. Food very good. Some issues with service. Two dishes that were ordered arrived twice and had to be sent back. Waiter was very good and attentive.Special Features:
- brunchkittyDined on 10/12/2014We enjoyed the food immensely and the bloody mary's. Service was excellent and helpful with choice selection. Neighborhood find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- People make for a great experience!foodie4dinnerVIPDined on 10/11/2014Being from Vancouver, Canada (but well-travelled) we love the social scene in other cities (heaven forbid a Vancouverite actually meet someone new at a social table back home!!) and the Publican delivers great beer, outstanding gastropub food and delivers the goods with social tables and friendly Chicago locals. Not for the introverted ... We loved it all! Be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itNomnomnomVIPDined on 10/11/2014The best brunch I've had in a long time. The beer list is EXCEPTIONAL.Special Features:
- DawnandSandyDined on 10/9/2014Publican is one of my favorite restaurants and is always worth a re-visit. This was no exception. My only gripe was that I wish our server had taken a more active role in helping us order, as has been the case previously. We asked for recommendations, and they were listed without much explanation or reasoning. One dish was thoroughly explained to us, but only as it was being cleared. Not a huge deal, just the difference between a good experience and a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceEat2liveDined on 10/8/2014Great atmosphere, Great food, Great service. The Dover sole and pork shank are amazing.Special Features:
- A Celebration of All Things PorkOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/8/2014A truly unique and wonderful dining experience. The pork rinds are a must. The Belgian and Belgian-style beer selection is beyond description. We had the pork shank with smoked potatoes for our entree and side. Both were wonderful. This will be a regular stop for us whenever we are in Chicago.Special Features:
- great for the vegan of the family!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014they put together a great vegetarian plate! my meat loving family love this place and I have to say its really good. They have a great ventilation system they place does not smell offensiveSpecial Features:
- Farm to overly tight TableBatailleDined on 10/8/2014Some appetizers were ok. Got the notion of providing the seafood or meat option. Veg choices were insignificant. Too bad given its emphasis on meat, the chef didn't delve more into sweetbreads or at least try a terrine of pork. It's really a very vibrant social scene where after work coworkers can share (family-style seems to be the theme) some dishes and drink it's fantastically varied and extensive craft beer list. For a fun place to just decompress from a long day at work, I would highly recommend this place, but not for a decent meal. Note, service is excellent!Special Features:
- NoisyNycdinerVIPDined on 10/7/2014This restaurant is so noisy that my husband and I couldn't even speak. The food was just ok. Certainly not what I expected. With no alcohol, our bill was $70. We only ordered 3 items. Rather expensive.Special Features:
- Just the name!CarlosJMVIPDined on 10/4/2014Food and Ambiance are a big OK, but that's about it. Oysters and desserts are very very good but main courses were less than ok and the BIG issue was that we had to wait for and HOUR AND A HALF for a duck breast that came kind of cold. Chef send us a couple more dishes of Ribeye and beets as an apology but again those were at best OK. My advice is go somewhere else, really.Special Features:
- dinner Publicanbarb2dineDined on 10/4/2014excellent food, good variety, enjoyed the carrots, and other plates, that were large enough to share with another person a bit noisy, minimal decor, patrons should leave infants and small children at home, excellent wait staff, gave good suggestions, for food and wine will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SheilaVIPDined on 10/4/2014Had dinner there a few weeks ago "Outstanding" Had brunch this last visit. 2 of the 4 meals were great. However, my meal was the pimento cheese toast. It was awful. I enjoy salty things but this tasted like they accidentally dumped an entire box of salt on it.Special Features:
- shiningVIPDined on 10/4/2014food is great. but the server wants us out after one and half hour.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for large groupsAshandmVIPDined on 10/2/2014The food was amazing. Portions are bit small for family style, but love the idea of trying different types of meat. It's a great place for a group setting not very romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PublicanLsmuzDined on 10/2/2014Food was good large portions. Sound level very loud, seating arrangement like southern outdoor bbq. Good lighting. Liked the seasonal sides made with creative combinationsSpecial Features:
- Great food and great serviceKCM1Dined on 9/28/2014Wonderful dining experience. Great tasty dishes. Joanna is a great waitress. She knows the menu and made excellent suggestions.Special Features:
- loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014The service was amazing, as were both food and people.Special Features:
- Superior food superior serviceIzzyDined on 9/28/2014We been to Publican numerous times for dinner. This was our first time going for brunch. We arrived at 9:30 so it was not too busy. If you haven't been here before, you should know that unless you are a twosome you will likely get seated at a communal table. The place was pretty empty so they seated us at the end so are good before could be alone. Unlike dinner they suggested that each of us get our own dish. When my wife's order arrived she didn't realize that it included beans. It was a tasty dish just not something she wanted. The server immediately whipped out a menu and ask her what she would like instead without asking any questions. They replaced her dish quickly and delightfully. That kind of a service is a rarity this day and age.Special Features:
- Good brunch but overhypedDFIDinerVIPDined on 9/28/2014Went for brunch and took advantage of warm weather to sit outside. Kind of cramped, but nice to be outside. Non-traditional menu, but that's ok. Frites with eggs were way over salted. Sourdough pancake was good. Coffee cake was good, but not to die for as the server suggested. Great OJ. Took 4 tries to get some ice and it wasn't that crowded yet. Overall it was fine, but expected more given the reviews on OT and other websites.