837 W. Fulton Market
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thepublicanrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3127339555
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday*: 3:30pm - 10:30pm
Friday*: 3:30pm - 11:30pm
Saturday Brunch: 10am-2:00pm
Saturday Dinner*: 3:30pm-11:30pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am-2:00pm
Sunday Dinner: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
* denotes abbreviated afternoon menu from 3:30pm-5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Paul Kahan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: In cooperation with the Greater Chicagoland Food Depository, Publican is accepting donations from Monday, March 18th through Sunday, March 24th.
In appreciation for your contribution, the Publican will be extending a voucher redeemable anytime for a beer, pork rinds or pastries depending on availability.
A word from The Publican
From the team behind Blackbird and avec comes this homage to beer, pork, and fish. Executive Chef Paul Kahan and Chef de Cuisine Brian Huston have developed a network of proveyors to supply the restaurant with hand-selected, sustainably-harvested fish and seafood as well as sustainably-raised heirloom pork to anchor a rustic menu of simple, eclectic fare. The extensive international beer list, developed by partners Eduard Seitan and Terry Alexander, features 100 or so ales, lagers, stouts and ciders by the bottle, 12 of those available on tap. Like Blackbird and avec, The Publican is a design partnership from the James Beard Award-winning team of Thomas Schlesser and partner Donnie Madia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Publican - Best Restaurants in West Loop ›
The Publican reviews from OpenTable diners
520 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (405)good for groups (270)hot spot (254)neighborhood gem (160)great for brunch (160)special occasion (142)great for outdoor dining (121)great for lunch (57)vibrant bar scene (53)notable wine list (44)late-night find (29)romantic (28)kid-friendly (19)scenic view (5)Show More
- Great food and great serviceKCM1Dined on 9/28/2014Wonderful dining experience. Great tasty dishes. Joanna is a great waitress. She knows the menu and made excellent suggestions.Special Features:
- loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014The service was amazing, as were both food and people.Special Features:
- Superior food superior serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/28/2014We been to Publican numerous times for dinner. This was our first time going for brunch. We arrived at 9:30 so it was not too busy. If you haven't been here before, you should know that unless you are a twosome you will likely get seated at a communal table. The place was pretty empty so they seated us at the end so are good before could be alone. Unlike dinner they suggested that each of us get our own dish. When my wife's order arrived she didn't realize that it included beans. It was a tasty dish just not something she wanted. The server immediately whipped out a menu and ask her what she would like instead without asking any questions. They replaced her dish quickly and delightfully. That kind of a service is a rarity this day and age.Special Features:
- Good brunch but overhypedDFIDinerVIPDined on 9/28/2014Went for brunch and took advantage of warm weather to sit outside. Kind of cramped, but nice to be outside. Non-traditional menu, but that's ok. Frites with eggs were way over salted. Sourdough pancake was good. Coffee cake was good, but not to die for as the server suggested. Great OJ. Took 4 tries to get some ice and it wasn't that crowded yet. Overall it was fine, but expected more given the reviews on OT and other websites.
- Meat Lovers RejoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/27/2014The Publican was a really cool and unique dining experience. Seated right when we got there at one of their many communal tables. A little disappointed we didn't get to sit in one of their booths - each had their own door - pretty fun! The service was amazing - our waiter was extremely knowledgable about the menu and, being that all dishes are meant to be shared - he was a great guide in letting us know when we had ordered the right amount. My boyfriend and I had been wanting to eat here for awhile - really glad we did! Would definitely return. Great place to take out of town guests!Special Features:
- Excellent food and service!FoodDivaDined on 9/25/2014Food was amazing but what wowed me was the service. In any restaurant, no matter how great the food, service can affect your overall dining experience. I highly recommend the oysters and the ginger beer cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceFreddyAndCompanyDined on 9/24/2014The atmosphere was lively, though a bit noisy. We were lucky to get one of the four person booths which afforded us a little more privacy as opposed to the communal seating. Everything on the menu looked good and our server was really helpful with describing the menu items and helping us make just the right choices. The food was delicious, both fresh and well prepared. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eat. Very trendy.HappyEater56Dined on 9/21/2014Very extensive menu using seasonal and a lot of locally sourced food, although some fish was from other countries. Plates are generally to share as entrees, for example, may not all come out of the kitchen at the same time. Large variation is portions - the waiter explained that the further down the menu, the larger the plate, although this did not always seem to be correct. The wine list does not have any US wines (only European wines). If they are promoting local food, they could / should promote US wines. As a non-American, I was not impressed by this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014The food was great...not enough waiters....so service was bad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traveled 800 miles for brunchehnoelDined on 9/21/2014I live in NYC now, but every time I go back to Chicago I have to eat at Publican for brunch--one of my absolute favorites in the city due to the boozy brunch drinks and array of savory and sweet menu items available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JUST OKjtsourDined on 9/20/2014Publican really didn't impress. The prices for things were outrageous. We has a sashimi plate for $18 and the amount of fish was no bigger than a silver dollar. The service is extremely slow. The rest of the food except the barbecued carrots was just not all that new and exciting. Publican made us leave there wanting more and broke. I would not go back. There was little imagination.Special Features:
- A great recommendation!ChrisDined on 9/20/2014I came to this restaurant on my first visit to Chicago this past weekend (beautiful, magnificent city). The President of the company I work for has dined here twice, and highly suggested checking this place out. The food was absolutely to die for, and I wish I could have ordered one of everything from the menu! Can't wait to come back to Chicago, and The Publican!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Killer BrunchNomnomnomVIPDined on 9/20/2014The Publican is one of my all time favorite brunch spots. Amazing food and beer list! The ambiance is a little crazy, but that's the way it's designed so if you are looking for something quiet and private, go somewhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to order the entire menu!DaveInChicagoDined on 9/20/2014And we almost did. Every dish we tried was excellent; oysters, bacon, lobster scramble and a few others all exceeded expectations. The only negative is that they don't serve espresso drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not great food bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014This place is regarded among the upper tier or Chicago restaurants and I can't leave a negative review about the food to take it out of this tier, the food was good. However, the waitstaff is better at 95% of other restaurants in the city. The bus boys are great but the over all service gets a poor enough grade that the next time I want to go to a nice restaurant I will choose somewhere else.Special Features:
- Overpriced MehCaligirl74Dined on 9/20/2014The seating style is shared long tables, so you will sit next to strangers. Also, we had various beverages splashed on us since it is difficult for the wait staff to reach over peoples' heads and pour and there is no end of the table to pour from due to the way the communal seating is set up. At one point coffee was poured on the table and they didn't clean it up until we asked 2x. My friend just had to stand there waiting for someone to come take care of a spill she didn't cause. The food was good, very good, not outstanding or great. Finally, at the end of our meh experience my other friend found 2 hairs baked right into her sourdough pancake. They took the pancake off the bill but left on her drinks and never even said sorry. Meh -
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014Very nice restaurant and food. Sat outside on a lovely evening. Service was excellent. Great beer selection. Had one of the rib dishes w/ apple salad. Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingYeabudddyDined on 9/18/2014This place is awesome. Food fit for the gods. Authentic and local.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a WinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/17/2014Haven't been for dinner in awhile. It was better than I remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/17/2014Terrific meal, great server. Casual atmosphere, but very loud.Special Features:
- YUM!pattyfabulousDined on 9/16/2014What a wonderful restaurant. The food was amazing, and I appreciated that the provenance of each food was noted on the menu. The seating arrangement was a neat way to check out what food other parties were enjoying. I'd definitely visit again when I'm back in Chicago!Special Features:
- Good food, plan to eatfoodisdivineVIPDined on 9/14/2014Food is very good and very creative. Plan to eat more than you think as portions are bigger than I expected them to be. The food is really good. The potted rilletes are delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend Brunc: Day might matterJulieannaSyDined on 9/14/2014I had just been there for a 5 star brunch on a Saturday, so I figured Sunday couldn't be that different…I was mistaken. The Saturday menu definitely trumps the Sunday menu. On the Saturday I had a delicious brunch that had a pimento cheese spread. I don't remember the rest of the details but it had me drooling. 8 days later on a Sunday my Tuna melt with an egg was super fishy. AND there was also no comparison in the service department either which was unfortunate. I wish I could remember my server's name on that Saturday, because I would definitely request him, and not the gal that I had this past Sunday. I'm not one to complain, but the experiences were just so different- kinda unfriendly. But my coffee was kept full so there's thatSpecial Features:
- Vegetarians need not comeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014My meal was awesome and unique for brunch (smoked pork shoulder with kimchi) and absolutely delicious. My partner didn't find much in the way of vegetarian items but we knew that coming in. If you like pork this place is heaven. The menu was slightly different than what was posted online so don't go with your heart set on anything too specific. Just go an order anything and it will be delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nlnicoDined on 9/13/2014Dear Publican, it seems I'll never have enough of your food. From your beef heart tartare to your beef tongue to your duck hearts, the quality of your meat cooked to perfection is a delight.
- "You have 10 mins"OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Really shouldn't take reservations at 1:45, if you are closing at 2pm.
- AMAZING. Where do I begin?MeredithP24Dined on 9/13/2014DELICIOUS food, excellent service and incredible ambiance. Take away the great food (which was GREAT) I would still come back to The Publican because of the cool atmosphere and great service. Can't wait to come back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealBobRVIPDined on 9/11/2014A friend and I stopped in from out of town and proceeded to have a literal pig-fest. Food was great, family style seating was fun, and we both left very full and happy.Special Features:
- Excellent as usual.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014After several visits to Publican I am yet unable to find any weaknesses. Each and every item I have experienced off the menu has exceeded my expectations. The service staff is very knowledgeable and professional. All in all you cannot go wrong recommending this place.. And I cannot find a reason not to return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A unique placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Enjoyed dinner. Many different items to choose from. Attentive service. Since this was our first time, we relyed on our waiter for direction. His recommendation were very good, but he did oversell us by a larger item. Would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a great spot!SarahDined on 9/8/2014Their menu changes every day for the most part, so you can always come here and see something new on the menu. And all of the food is really inventive putting together local seasonal ingredients in so many ways. Amazing pork rinds, their chicken liver pate with strawberries was amazing, their whole chicken is some of the best chicken I've had, and their trio of hams was so tasty! Plus their chocolate pudding dessert is the perfect balance of sweet and salty. It is a little loud in here is the only draw back, but if it is nice out, the patio is much nicer for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but at a costcamone60Dined on 9/7/2014Good food and service but no ambience and extremely loud. Also no privacy as most likely you will sit at large communal tables. Worth trying for food alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MCastleDined on 9/7/2014Always a great brunch spot. Our favorite by far. The Boudin Noir was a killer dish, and my wife got sucked in to the waffle again. She always intends to order something different but then she gets there and can't because its her favorite waffle. Server was great as per usual.Special Features:
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014We ate there on a recent weekend trip. The food was excellent albeit a bit pricey. The restaurant has great character and is so convenient to Millenium Park. Service was also top notch.Special Features:
- Yummy food, decent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/7/2014The service could have been a bit more on top of its game, but I enjoyed the experience overall.Special Features:
- Such as great for dinner as Brunch!ninjaDined on 9/6/2014I have always gone just for Brunch; however, finally made it for dinner the other week. Fantastic!!Special Features:
- BrunchDerekVIPDined on 9/6/2014We went for brunch on Saturday. Certainly different than your typical brunch. Food is good but you have to be willing to have a bigger meal for brunch. Both the sticky bun and coffee cake are great starters and their bloody Mary's are fantastic! Service all three times I have been are anywhere between bad and totally absent. You will sit with cold or empty coffee for a while unless you place your order right away. They clearly want to turn the tables, if you eat your big meal slowly you will be ignored. Also, most of the restaurant is communal seating, which we were ok with, but the seating is right on top of each other.
- Always love it, but drink situationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014I've been to Publican a few times. I have never left unsatisfied. Watching someone fillet a fish right before you was like watching a surgeon at work! Though their drink offerings could be expanded and the drinks are er pricey for the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reconnecting with an old friendgourmandDined on 9/5/2014It is the rare trip to Chicago when I don't make my way to Publican. This trip I brought a colleague, who is also a vegetarian, with promises of a fantastic meal without meat. Thank you Publican for keeping my reputation intact as the go-to person for restaurant tips anywhere we travel! I didn't even mind that my guest took pictures of the food since he was so clearly smitten by the experience. Thanks to our young server, Nick who answered our questions, and recommended just the right bottle of wine for the varied dishes that we ordered. We did have to shout at each other over the noise but those are the costs of doing business in a hot spot. Hope you add a zatar roasted chicken with preserved lemon to your menu sometime soon!Special Features:
- Always a treatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/4/2014This was my fourth visit to the Publican and as always it was truly a treat. Lovely staff, great food, and an extensive wine and beer list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.