837 W. Fulton Market
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thepublicanrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3127339555
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday*: 3:30pm - 10:30pm
Friday*: 3:30pm - 11:30pm
Saturday Brunch: 10am-2:00pm
Saturday Dinner*: 3:30pm-11:30pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am-2:00pm
Sunday Dinner: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
* denotes abbreviated afternoon menu from 3:30pm-5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Paul Kahan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: In cooperation with the Greater Chicagoland Food Depository, Publican is accepting donations from Monday, March 18th through Sunday, March 24th.
In appreciation for your contribution, the Publican will be extending a voucher redeemable anytime for a beer, pork rinds or pastries depending on availability.
A word from The Publican
From the team behind Blackbird and avec comes this homage to beer, pork, and fish. Executive Chef Paul Kahan and Chef de Cuisine Brian Huston have developed a network of proveyors to supply the restaurant with hand-selected, sustainably-harvested fish and seafood as well as sustainably-raised heirloom pork to anchor a rustic menu of simple, eclectic fare. The extensive international beer list, developed by partners Eduard Seitan and Terry Alexander, features 100 or so ales, lagers, stouts and ciders by the bottle, 12 of those available on tap. Like Blackbird and avec, The Publican is a design partnership from the James Beard Award-winning team of Thomas Schlesser and partner Donnie Madia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Publican - Best Restaurants in West Loop ›
The Publican reviews from OpenTable diners
516 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (397)good for groups (267)hot spot (245)great for brunch (161)neighborhood gem (160)special occasion (149)great for outdoor dining (125)great for lunch (59)vibrant bar scene (53)notable wine list (48)romantic (29)late-night find (28)kid-friendly (23)scenic view (5)Show More
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/18/2014This place is awesome. Food fit for the gods. Authentic and local.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a WinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/17/2014Haven't been for dinner in awhile. It was better than I remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/17/2014Terrific meal, great server. Casual atmosphere, but very loud.Special Features:
- YUM!pattyfabulousDined on 9/16/2014What a wonderful restaurant. The food was amazing, and I appreciated that the provenance of each food was noted on the menu. The seating arrangement was a neat way to check out what food other parties were enjoying. I'd definitely visit again when I'm back in Chicago!Special Features:
- Good food, plan to eatfoodisdivineVIPDined on 9/14/2014Food is very good and very creative. Plan to eat more than you think as portions are bigger than I expected them to be. The food is really good. The potted rilletes are delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend Brunc: Day might matterJulieannaSyDined on 9/14/2014I had just been there for a 5 star brunch on a Saturday, so I figured Sunday couldn't be that different…I was mistaken. The Saturday menu definitely trumps the Sunday menu. On the Saturday I had a delicious brunch that had a pimento cheese spread. I don't remember the rest of the details but it had me drooling. 8 days later on a Sunday my Tuna melt with an egg was super fishy. AND there was also no comparison in the service department either which was unfortunate. I wish I could remember my server's name on that Saturday, because I would definitely request him, and not the gal that I had this past Sunday. I'm not one to complain, but the experiences were just so different- kinda unfriendly. But my coffee was kept full so there's thatSpecial Features:
- Vegetarians need not comeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014My meal was awesome and unique for brunch (smoked pork shoulder with kimchi) and absolutely delicious. My partner didn't find much in the way of vegetarian items but we knew that coming in. If you like pork this place is heaven. The menu was slightly different than what was posted online so don't go with your heart set on anything too specific. Just go an order anything and it will be delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Dear Publican, it seems I'll never have enough of your food. From your beef heart tartare to your beef tongue to your duck hearts, the quality of your meat cooked to perfection is a delight.
- "You have 10 mins"OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Really shouldn't take reservations at 1:45, if you are closing at 2pm.
- AMAZING. Where do I begin?MeredithP24Dined on 9/13/2014DELICIOUS food, excellent service and incredible ambiance. Take away the great food (which was GREAT) I would still come back to The Publican because of the cool atmosphere and great service. Can't wait to come back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealBobRVIPDined on 9/11/2014A friend and I stopped in from out of town and proceeded to have a literal pig-fest. Food was great, family style seating was fun, and we both left very full and happy.Special Features:
- Excellent as usual.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014After several visits to Publican I am yet unable to find any weaknesses. Each and every item I have experienced off the menu has exceeded my expectations. The service staff is very knowledgeable and professional. All in all you cannot go wrong recommending this place.. And I cannot find a reason not to return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A unique placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Enjoyed dinner. Many different items to choose from. Attentive service. Since this was our first time, we relyed on our waiter for direction. His recommendation were very good, but he did oversell us by a larger item. Would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a great spot!SarahDined on 9/8/2014Their menu changes every day for the most part, so you can always come here and see something new on the menu. And all of the food is really inventive putting together local seasonal ingredients in so many ways. Amazing pork rinds, their chicken liver pate with strawberries was amazing, their whole chicken is some of the best chicken I've had, and their trio of hams was so tasty! Plus their chocolate pudding dessert is the perfect balance of sweet and salty. It is a little loud in here is the only draw back, but if it is nice out, the patio is much nicer for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but at a costcamone60Dined on 9/7/2014Good food and service but no ambience and extremely loud. Also no privacy as most likely you will sit at large communal tables. Worth trying for food alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MCastleDined on 9/7/2014Always a great brunch spot. Our favorite by far. The Boudin Noir was a killer dish, and my wife got sucked in to the waffle again. She always intends to order something different but then she gets there and can't because its her favorite waffle. Server was great as per usual.Special Features:
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014We ate there on a recent weekend trip. The food was excellent albeit a bit pricey. The restaurant has great character and is so convenient to Millenium Park. Service was also top notch.Special Features:
- Yummy food, decent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/7/2014The service could have been a bit more on top of its game, but I enjoyed the experience overall.Special Features:
- BrunchDerekVIPDined on 9/6/2014We went for brunch on Saturday. Certainly different than your typical brunch. Food is good but you have to be willing to have a bigger meal for brunch. Both the sticky bun and coffee cake are great starters and their bloody Mary's are fantastic! Service all three times I have been are anywhere between bad and totally absent. You will sit with cold or empty coffee for a while unless you place your order right away. They clearly want to turn the tables, if you eat your big meal slowly you will be ignored. Also, most of the restaurant is communal seating, which we were ok with, but the seating is right on top of each other.
- Always love it, but drink situationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014I've been to Publican a few times. I have never left unsatisfied. Watching someone fillet a fish right before you was like watching a surgeon at work! Though their drink offerings could be expanded and the drinks are er pricey for the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reconnecting with an old friendgourmandDined on 9/5/2014It is the rare trip to Chicago when I don't make my way to Publican. This trip I brought a colleague, who is also a vegetarian, with promises of a fantastic meal without meat. Thank you Publican for keeping my reputation intact as the go-to person for restaurant tips anywhere we travel! I didn't even mind that my guest took pictures of the food since he was so clearly smitten by the experience. Thanks to our young server, Nick who answered our questions, and recommended just the right bottle of wine for the varied dishes that we ordered. We did have to shout at each other over the noise but those are the costs of doing business in a hot spot. Hope you add a zatar roasted chicken with preserved lemon to your menu sometime soon!Special Features:
- Always a treatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/4/2014This was my fourth visit to the Publican and as always it was truly a treat. Lovely staff, great food, and an extensive wine and beer list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and TastyTayloraeVIPDined on 9/4/2014This restaurant was a little too loud for my dad's girlfriend, and we were even in one of the booths. The food was delicious and my Adrian Grenier-look alike waiter was very accommodating to my weird food allergy of bacon. Go there. Have fun!Special Features:
- Great food and quiet streetksloDined on 9/3/2014If you are looking for a place to get fantastic food and drinks that are local this is the place for you.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/1/2014Everything we had was fantastic. From the Crudo to the boudin noir, the corn on the cob, and the oyesters. But the biggest hit was the pork belly. The only disappointment for me was there wasnt more of all of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved it :)OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014We were in Chicago on our honeymoon. My new husband is a chef and our dinner was a wedding gift. We couldn't have loved it more! The Publican was highly recommended by fellow chef and foodie friends in Toronto who visit Chicago for the great food. The food was inspired and really delicious. Great service as well. Thank you!Special Features:
- Great menu, slow serviceMad4FoodVIPDined on 9/1/2014While the menu was intriguing and the waiter friendly and knowledgeable, the Publican disappointed in the slow pace the food took to come out and the high level of saltiness, especially their signature chicken course. Almost inedible. Loved the slow roasted green beans but have had better charcuterie platters in places like New Orleans (Cochon et al.) and even Boulder (Cured).Special Features:
- A must to tryBzerkeleyVIPDined on 9/1/2014It's loud and cramped especially if you end up at one of the very long communal tables. The effect is that you are packed in like cattle in the stock yard. Don't go if that is going to bother you but you will miss some great food. Crispy fried pig ears - so good. Don't skip dessert - they do a great job there too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must-experienceYumHunterDined on 8/30/2014The quality of meals and drink selection befitting a place more pretentious and that may have been the most charming aspect: it wasn't pretentious at all. The attention to detail from the staff amazed me (while I was away from the table, I returned to find my napkin folded neatly on the table). Our server was extremely knowledgeable with the menu and graciously guided us through his favorites which soon became ours. The entire experience was unforgettable, charming, unique and so very delicious. Thank you!!!Special Features:
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014I had higher expectations of this place. While the cocktails and ambiance are very nice, the brunch food was just okay. I had the pimento cheese toast and felt like it was more of a junk food with the pimento cheese slathered on. It wasn't bad but nothing remarkable either.Special Features:
- Exceeded expectations!TMatDined on 8/28/2014Had been hearing about The Publican for years. Finally made it there - what a treat! I knew they were about the meat, and especially pork. What I did not know was they have a "small plate" (generous, however) to share. We were advised "about 2 plates per person" is the way to go. We had: Daily pickles (dills, red onions, cauliflower) Taste of three hams Hen with pork belly sausage stuffed inside Clams Pork shank For 2 ambitious eaters, this was perfect. Every dish was sublime, and featured simple ingredients elevated way behind my imagination! Superb service - can't wait to go again !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!OsmeyersDined on 8/25/2014Food was a 10. Amazing!!! Service was a bit slow and confusing could Benefit from a few more servers. Although slow the servers/waiters were all great when they were aroundSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014the food was good, but definitely over-priced. the restaurant was extremely loud and it was difficult to have a conversation with one other person at the communalt table.
- I was expecting moredc4916Dined on 8/24/2014There were some parts of Publican that were excellent, but the overall experience felt lacking, mainly due to an indifferent waiter. We ordered the ceviche and the trio of hams to start. Both were excellent. We ordered the suckling pig, which was over-crispy and a little dry (and now off menu). We had beets and another vegetable dish that were both excellent as well. We had the peach tart for dessert, which was very good since it wasn't super-sweet. Service-wise, the rest of the staff outside of our waiter was great, but our waiter left major gaps in time when checking in. We may have ordered more after our appetizers came out if he stopped by, and it felt like we were ready to order dessert for a good 15-20 minutes before he came back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't love for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/24/2014I've ordered from Publican before for a client event and they did a great job. Meat and cheese trays, sandwiches, salads, it was delicious. So when it was my turn to pick a brunch place, I thought we'd try it. I didn't love it for brunch. The indoor seating is all community style, it was very loud in there (which makes it hard to catch up with friends) and the food was just ok. I ordered the Red Wine Poached Eggs and they were over cooked and the toast was so hard I needed a steak knife to cut it. Our server seemed over us from the get go and so the service was just ok. Food has potential.. just might be better for a later-in-the-day meal.Special Features:
- WowJB89Dined on 8/23/2014A "must-go destination" un Chicago! We had a wonderfull time. The chicken is one of the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of BrunchAmaKDined on 8/23/2014Food is impeccable and the bloody mary's are amazing!Special Features:
- Great service, delicious food!patang01Dined on 8/23/2014The food was amazing, and the service was above and beyond. Apparently, the kitchen was backed up because of a ticketing issue, which delayed our food. But we didn't even notice until our server brought us a pecan sticky bun and a doughnut on the house as an apology! Totally unnecessary, but so delicious and appreciated.Special Features:
- foodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014Sat outside - very noisy inside. Communal dining. Brunch was excellent - waiter brought check before asking whether we wanted to order anything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Noisy for SeniorsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Came for brunch after having enjoyed dinner, drinks, and appetizers on previous occasions. The food, as always, was superb. The staff was friendly, responsive, and knowledgeable. My mother was in from out-of-town and we had a group of four that sat at the communal tables. Unfortunately, for a senior citizen whose hearing is no longer at the top of its game (or even a person's whose is), the Publican gets LOUD. I doubt sitting in the corral booth would have helped as sound is amplified and carried throughout the entire space. While I'm glad I got to share some delicious food with my mom, I doubt she heard most of the conversations happening throughout the meal. Great spot, but better for younger folk who don't mind shouting over their food.Special Features: