The Pub BBQ at Ghiradelli Square
851 Beach St
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
The Pub BBQ at Ghiradelli Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thepubsf.com/
- Phone: (415) 351-0500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30AM - 4:00PM.
Dinner: Daily: 4:00PM - 1:30AM.
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00AM - 2:00PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Scott Broccoli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: The Pub can cater your next BBQ, party, celebration, office meeting, or game day!
- Entertainment: The Pub is also a great place to take in a game at the bar.
A word from The Pub BBQ at Ghiradelli Square
Head to the end of Polk Street, hang a right, and you will find yourself at The Pub at Ghirardelli Square. Ocean views and a glimpse of Alcatraz will go great with a beer or speciality cocktail at the bar. Dive into the menu, a comfy booth, and get ready for barbecue favorites, New Orleans flair, and combinations so outrageous they should be criminal: Buffalo Blue Mac N Cheese, Brisket Tacos, Tommy Tots, and much more! For entrees we serve classic comfort food from ribs, burgers, and meatloaf to fried chicken. Come to The Pub with an appetite and we can guarantee that you will leave very happy and completely full.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Pub BBQ at Ghiradelli Square reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (7)scenic view (6)great for lunch (5)vibrant bar scene (5)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (4)fit for foodies (3)neighborhood gem (3)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Good ServiceTooSweetDined on 11/2/2014This wasn't what I expected for a place specializing in BBQ. Our dishes included the ribs, the pork sliders, and the chicken tacos. In all cases, the meat was cooked to our satisfaction, but lacked seasoning and flavor on its own. It was all covered with a heavy, sweet BBQ sauce that overpowered the rest. On the plus side, our service was excellent--friendly, prompt & attentive. And we were seated by the window with a good view of the bay.Special Features:
- Blue Angels Weekend 2014bosox6789Dined on 10/10/2014I had lunch there on 10/10 and 10/11 while watching the Blue Angels. Great food, service, atmosphere and view! I had the "Pub" burger on 10/10 and the "Little Lucca" sliders on 10/11. Both were excellent and prepared as ordered. The staff was very friendly and efficient. Management stopped by my table on both days to ensure everything was up to standard. I would strongly suggest you check this place out! Also serves brunch and has a late night menu as well. I wish this restaurant was in the Inner Sunset....I'd be there all the time!Special Features:
- MJPatzDined on 10/3/2014Really enjoyed the food and service at The Pub BBQ. Ate outside and the weather and view were great.Special Features:
- Good BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 9/30/2014Fun watching the Royals win - our server Emily was greatSpecial Features:
- Excellence DeferredSmallTownGirlVIPDined on 8/6/2014Service isn't the best, and the food isn't stellar but it's a nice lunch spot for those who are on the run or in between a tourist excursion. At first there seemed to be some confusion as to who would be our server. Three servers and about 15 minutes later, someone managed to get us some water and take our order. We were excited to try the truffle mac and have some bbq chicken. Unfortunately, they don't offer smoked chicken only fried. We opted for the chicken sliders with a side of truffle mac. That was definitely a great choice and quite satisfying. We also ordered a side of veggies which came in a rather small portion given the price. Fortunately, the chef was willing to send out a second serving to my satisfaction.
- Excellent!dtibDined on 7/27/2014We have been here twice and the food is amazing! Service was good but much better the second time. Great barbecue and good draft beer.Special Features:
- The following 74 reviews are from the The Pub BBQ at Ghiradelli Square reviews archive.
- MehMissattitude57Dined on 7/3/2014I wasn't a huge fan of the pub's food owing primarily to the fact that their BBQ sauce appears to be laced with hot sauce which is not what I was expecting. BBQ should be sweet and maybe a bit spicy but the overpowering taste of franks red hot was not welcome. Other than that the Mac and cheese and baked beans were excellent but I'd stay away from the BBQ if you don't like hot sauce.Special Features:
- It's all about the detailsNickVIPDined on 5/29/2014We had a an awesome yummy time at the Pub. We tried their tater tots and the sauce that comes akong with it is so yummy! We ordered the triple crown bbq with ribs, brisket and pulled pork. My favorite is the ribs and my least favorite is the pulled pork. For the sides the I love their mac and cheese and potato salad, the jalapeno coleslaw tastes different. And the incident at the beach is a great drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious brisket sliders!Mama1022Dined on 5/24/2014I had a big lunch earlier so I wasn't super hungry but I could still taste how delicious the brisket sliders were! Our waitress was great and gave my husband his bottle caps (he's collecting them for a table). Great spot by the window for people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingGrottoDined on 5/15/2014We stopped in for lunch on a Thursday so the restaurant was not busy. In fact, only the 4 tables outside were occupied so we were the only people inside. It took over 30 minutes to get our lunch. The pulled pork sandwich which they are known for was just okay. Not alot of meat, more bread than filling. Tator tots were crunchy but very greasy. My friend had a salad which was okay. Would not make a trip back to this restaurant.
- Great food and service.ELS1Dined on 5/6/2014Our server was fabulous and the buffalo tater tots were out of this world. We had a special birthday dinner for our Director, a Southern lady and it was truly perfect. Great BBQ and fun. Thanks for a great experience.Special Features:
- Terrible Bar foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/19/2014This place was gross. From the sticky floors, to the food. It smelt like a bar- the day after a busy night. Dirty. The menu is great, lots of options- but the food was nasty. We all had stomach aches after. We will not be returning.Special Features:
- Better choices abounddggtgVIPDined on 4/17/2014In a city full if great restaurants don't waste an evening on this one. This restaurant is average at best. Beef briscuit was served as little cubes not sliced traditionally and was fatty. Ribs and sides were nothing special. Service was unfriendly. Server was annoyed when I asked for a lime when she brought my Corona without one. I just think there are better options.
- new placerbkeatingDined on 4/13/2014for arriving at 7pm, they were already out of brisket and meatloaf! had heard about the meatloaf and had to settle for ribs, pulled pork, fried chicken and links;still not bad; sauce little spicy for me, and the pork portion of the duo could have been a little more generous;not sure why friend chicken cost $3 more on the duo..mgr was gracious and acknowledged birthday w/ comp dessert; overall well priced and friendly..would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and serviceRyanDined on 4/11/2014This place was surprisingly amazing. Food was great and service was A+++Special Features:
- Comfort dining at Ghirardelli SqTCSLCVIPDined on 4/9/2014Traveling with kids and just got into SF. Took the cable car from Union Sq to the last stop, and a short walk to Ghirardelli Square. Was greeted promptly, had a nice window table with a 'reserved' sign from the Open Table reservation not an hour prior that set the stage for a great meal. BBQ was fantastic, both ribs and brisket, as was the truffle mac and cheese. Nice selection of on tap local brews. Attentive, friendly service that was just right. Kids wanted to return a few days later, and despite a few fine dining experiences in between it was The Pub they liked best. Very good prices, good portion size, great taste, great service. Hit the spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick and tastycatalinaDined on 4/3/2014The reservation process was very smooth over the website - no need to call or wait for an e-mail back, just had the confirmation on the spot. The service was quick and the food very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Late Night PlaceRWAlfordVIPDined on 4/2/2014I love this place, plain and simple. The servers and bartenders are always nice, and accommodating, and great at making suggestions. I enjoy the late night menu best, and a seat at the bar. The only thing I wish they would bring back is the pepperjack cheese pulled pork, thats my all time favorite. The drinks are great, strong, and affordable. The food is flavorful, BBQ oriented of course, but a nice mix of it, so you will find something for even people who arent too keen on BBQ itself.Special Features:
- Unfortunately very dissatisfiedMitziDined on 3/21/2014We were a group of four coming for dinner and to watch a game. We specifically chose this restaurant for the atmosphere and scenery. I specifically indicated which game we were coming to watch, however, upon arrival we were seated at our reserved table which had one designated tv straight above our heads. We had a hard time viewing the tv and requested to be moved which they were happy to do but were not able to change any other tv's for us to watch. The bar eventually filed completely with a very large party cheering for another game (which was totally fine) but there were other tv's on cartoons that they refused to change the channel for us. We were very disappointed.Special Features:
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/20/2014Our waitress was one of the nicest we have ever had. She was friendly, honest, knowledgeable, and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forget "brunch"!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/16/2014Had guests from Europe and wanted a nice restaurant for Sunday Brunch at a reasonable price. After spending hours on Google looking for a place which offered this and also a nice view, I settled on The Pub because of location and they had recently introduce Sunday Brunch with champagne. The brunch menu consised of breakfast burrito and a very few other items. The champagne was mimosa. We all settled for the BBQ ribs, which were very good. Should not advertise brunch, best to stick with their main things, BBQ. For being a Sunday with beautiful weather, there were very few people there which should have been the first clue. It is a sports bar with tvs everywhere.Special Features:
- Decent BBQ friendly staffbsmontyDined on 3/15/2014I'm a bit picky on BBQ coming from Chicago and having spent time in the south and southwest. The BBQ was a bit overworked but the flavors were there. The staff were friendly and it wasn't too crowded or too empty. It is a proper pub for grabbing a bite and you won't leave disappointed. I was searching for great BBQ in SF and I am still searching but it was good and again, the staff were great. Worth a trip but probably not a regular haunt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Know what to expect....SperanzaDined on 3/1/2014Bottom line - this is a sports bar with food. That is not how the website portrays the venue, so we went in with expectations of a nicer restaurant than it was. Food was OK, but atmosphere not what we had hoped....TVs everywhere, lots of noisy sports fan. Just be aware of the type of restaurant and you should be fine.
- Great PlaceJayTeeVIPDined on 3/1/2014We had a last minute Saturday afternoon reservation for two families with 5 kids. The service was accommodating, the location had a wonderful view of Alcatraz. The food was delicious and perfect for a family. I would highly recommend the Pub.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy southern foodJocey88Dined on 2/14/2014Great spot, my boyfriend and I found this spot last minute and valentines day and didn't know what to expect. The food was Louisiana style with a nice kick! Everything on my plate was delicious. They also give you large portions, so sharing is definitely an option. The staff was kind and the atmosphere is laid back with a relaxed vibe. There's a cute little bar too, if you just want to enjoy some drinks. Nice spot for dates or just to chit chat with a friend. Ambiance is laid back and personalSpecial Features:
- Relaxing EverytimeRWAlfordVIPDined on 1/20/2014Generally I come late nights, for the bar menu, and usually it is quiet. This time, it was more occupied, but still relatively quiet, the food was great, the server and host were great, very nice and accommodating, and who can not love the view across the bay to Sausalito, Angel Island and Marin!? Yes, it is a pub, but it is a great late night neighborhood gem, has space for groups, and in a strange way, if its raining outside, can be quite romantic at night. I love this place, and definitely return and sometimes bring friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My friend and I were lookingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/14/2014My friend and I were looking for a place by Ghiradelli and found The Pub. After looking at the menu, we had to go. I ordered the Little Lucca slider and side Mac n cheese. My friend ordered so many sides plus the tater tots. It was all amazing! Service was great and we were carefully looked after throughout our meal. Now the noise level was pretty quiet. However, it was a slow night. I'm unsure how it would be normally. Great place to check out! My friend and I will be visiting again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our waitress was great. WeNinerfanDined on 1/12/2014Our waitress was great. We truly never saw the bottom of our bottomless mimosa glasses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brisketSpencerDined on 1/2/2014Recommend the triple and the double, especially the brisket and ribs done to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gave it a "quiet" for noiseWandaVIPDined on 12/4/2013Gave it a "quiet" for noise level, but we were there about 6 PM during the week, so it probably gets a little more active later.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Friendly RestarauntanglosgatosVIPDined on 11/16/2013Our family loved this restaurant. This place has wonderful service and made everyone in our family feel welcomed. We have two school aged children. The manager brought over kids crayons for them. Our waiter listened and took their order. I noticed that there were tables of all ages. Families with kids and also groups of twentysomethings having dinner or hanging out at the bar. It had a nice crowd of people. The food was good. We enjoyed our sandwiches, salads, and ribs. It also had an amazing view of the bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very impressedJeniDined on 10/12/2013I googled a whole bunch of places around the area for my birthday trip to San Francisco for the day and stumbled upon this place. I read the good reviews and decided to make a reservation for my group of 7 big people and one 17 month old...I am so glad that we decided to keep the reservation and try it! The food was fantastic, the service was awesome - all very nice and accommodating - even with a little one. We had a fabulous time and enjoyed it very much. Highly recommend this place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy AccidentSunbuns13Dined on 10/5/2013I found The Pub online and figured we'd give it a shot since it was so nicely located. What a treat that it was so good. The view of the bay at sunset was spectacular! They had a great choice of cocktails. Their Sweet and Spicy tater tots were to die for. I had the Bleu cheese and hot sauce mac and cheese. It was very rich and delicious. My boyfriend had the meatloaf and pulled pork and was pleased as well. I would definitely recommend The Pub.Special Features:
- This is a brunch review only...stenroVIPDined on 9/14/2013We walked in for brunch and I think we may have been the first ones there. Reservations were not needed. Unfortunately, the brunch menu did not have many choices and was smaller than what was seen online. Nevertheless, I had the eggs over smoked brisket hash and it was very tasty. My wife had an "Everything Sando" which was eggs, cheese and sausage patty on an everything bagel which she enjoyed. Coffee was not bad and service was pretty good.Special Features:
- Good BBQPaniolo55025VIPDined on 9/6/2013Fun location, eautiful view of the San Francisco Bay, solid BBQ.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The pubMiggs13Dined on 6/15/2013The pub is located at the bottom of Ghirardelli square.It has has a great expresso burger. You have to try it. There's seating at the front of the pub that lets you look at at the bay. Overall this was a good food experience . They also have some infusion cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/15/2013Good place for brunch. Took our 2 kids. Food was quick, mimosas were bottomless!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy...!!lesleyann85Dined on 5/31/2013my fiancé and I thoroughly enjoyed our time at The Pub BBQ. We arrived an hour and a half before our reservation and the staff very kindly found us a booth at the window (as we had requested) after a short wait at the bar - enjoying the lovely cocktails!! The food was great, the staff were excellent - overall a great night... definitely worth a visit!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK, convenient place for prettyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/16/2013OK, convenient place for pretty good food. I had the quesadilla, my wife had the sliders. They were both plentiful and tasted good. The place isn't special, but a good pub.Special Features:
- Your Assistant Mgr needs training!!AnnadlfDined on 4/7/2013Overall, the food was good, but the management left a lot to be desired. We had reservations for 12 people at 10:45 a.m. (right after the SF Rock and Roll Race). The restaurant was great about accommodating us. We were hoping to have Brunch that day (which usually includes breakfast items - not just eggs). But only an hour after they opened, the restaurant did not have Waffles, French Toast, their known Breakfast Potatoes or Brisket Potatoes as listed on their menu. Our waitress "Emily" had to come back and tell us each time another item was not available. She was very nice and apologetic; however, when the assist. mgr. came by he was lacking in customer service. He began with asking if I was the one with the "food issues"!Special Features: