9 India Street
Nantucket, MA 02554Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.proprietorsnantucket.com/
- Phone: 5082287477
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Proprietors
The owners of American Seasons, Orla and Michael Lascola, are opening “The Proprietors” - sustainable, seasonal and locally-sourced foodsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Proprietors - Best Restaurants in Nantucket ›
The Proprietors reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (39)vibrant bar scene (23)neighborhood gem (20)hot spot (13)good for groups (11)notable wine list (10)special occasion (9)romantic (7)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Dynamite Small PlatesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014After several dining experiences here, must say the small plates and "planchas" never disappoint. Main courses on two separate occasions by comparison have been a relative let down--while very well presented and flavorful, prep timing of ingredients appeared slightly off in both instances. During our most recent visit the main course fish was slightly overdone while the brussel sprouts were too "al dente." Overall a terrific addition to the Nantucket dining scene, though, with a very well thought out wine list to boot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor timingmaryVIPDined on 10/11/2014Sharing small plates is great BUT if you also have entrees on the menu and one person in the party orders that then the food should all arrive at the same time! We ate then our friend ate. An awkward evening
- Restaurant weekErnie44foodDined on 9/30/2014Great simple expansion of tasting menu. The Mushrooms, shrimp, spare ribs and yellowfin were amazing (and all recommended by our server, who was excellent and very helpful/attentive). Really great. Pretty hard to stand out with such tough competition (so many great restaurants), but they stand out. We'll go here every time we visit Nantucket.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Craft bar with great foodHoneymoonerVIPDined on 9/28/2014My wife and I stopped back at this fairly young establishment in the heart of town. A perfect spot for a well crafted bespoke cocktail, Proprietor also has excellent food. Come for brunch, lunch, or dinner and you won't be disappointed. Keep a keen eye open for the illusive heart of ribeye steak that can be found on their most recent dinner menu; perhaps the most delicious and hard to find cut of beef there is! Service is A+.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Proprietors keeps impressing!RickysGirlVIPDined on 9/14/2014We love Proprietor's. The cocktail list is an adventure. The choice for tapas is extensive - I love the porkums, little sliders on a buttery biscuit, the three of us ordered three separate different tapas, and shared them. This was our dinner. 9 different tapa dishes, and all were excellent. We didnt leave hungry. Attentive, friendly service. There are a lot of different seating areas, basically three, maybe five if you count front, back or side upstairs. We sat for the first time in the main dining room in back of the restaurant. I was very pleased being there. Nice ambiance there as well. Enjoy Proprietor's. I think they're open through the Christmas Stroll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisapointedFoodguy2VIPDined on 9/1/2014We greatly enjoy the sister restaurant American Seasons. The concept is a good one, creative small plates from fresh seasonal ingredients. The space is nice. Bar scene active. Good energy. Unfortunately, our waiter could not have been less interested or engaged. He didn't seem overly busy elsewhere. Food was very disappointing. Salt, salt, salt. It's something I am rarely critical of. Here it was consistently off the charts. My wife and I both ordered the Socca tart. Both plates were inedible. Very aggressive salting and saucing of other dishes hid high quality ingredients which could have been showcased.Special Features:
- Almost perfect....BetsyDined on 8/15/2014.....the small plates were creative and delicious.....but the entrees under whelmed us....our server, Rene was fabulous. We will go back, but next time we will stick to the small plates....by the way, Proprietor's sister restaurant, American Seasons, is the best!!Special Features:
- OMG!rcboothDined on 8/12/2014When I visit Nantucket this restaurant is the only one I want to make sure I go to. It's just creative, imaginative, delicious and fun and consistently excellent.Special Features:
- ImpresseddisappointedVIPDined on 8/10/2014Food was imaginative and exceptionally well balanced. Chefs creativity was spot on with every dish. Best meal I had in NantucketSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Interesting appetizers and entrees with a plethera of unexpected flavors. Light and healthy dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent - everything on menuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2014Been there twice already this summer once at the bar with my wife and in e with a group. Both times it was excellent. The quality and creativity that goes into each item is amazing. The bar scene is great as the owner founder takes care to make drinks thoughtfully with the best combinations and care. It's a sharing style menu so it's a little bit like tapas.Special Features:
- KnarfDined on 7/10/2014Excellent service and food! Back room very noisy-would choose front room or upstairs on next visit.Special Features:
- Highly Recommended!!KarenDined on 7/9/2014Plates for sharing. Food and Service was fabulous. We will be going back again and again!!Special Features:
- Small platesililiVIPDined on 7/6/2014Love the small plates so that you can sample a lot of variety. Everything was delicious.Special Features:
- The following 34 reviews are from the The Proprietors reviews archive.
- WALLYWUVIPDined on 6/21/2014First time there and was pleasantly surprised! Organic, locally grown/raised which was healthy but also pleasingly tasty. Our server Sean was a real pro!Special Features:
- EsotericluluahVIPDined on 5/17/2014the food here is primarily small plates for sharing with a few 'regular size entrees' available. The food is outstanding and very creative. My wife and I had four small plates that we shared and we were very satisfied. One of the signature dishes is the pork-um and it is worthy of the moniker. Save room for dessert and try their weird ice cream. It may change regularly but I believe you can't go wrong with whatever they 'cook' up.Special Features:
- Hungry after dinnerMARKVIPDined on 5/17/2014Food was tasty but very small portions. Price for small portions was more than the 5 top restaurants on the island. Our part of 4 went to nixs for more appetizers and desserts since we were still hungry after a 3 course dinner we all had at proprietors. Eat here if you had lunch an hour before.Special Features:
- Great flavordiningoutoftenVIPDined on 5/16/2014Plating is packed with flavor and beauty. Appreciated everything we ate. Will certainly retain. Waitstaff was very busy.Special Features:
- DisappointmentsammyVIPDined on 5/3/2014Our expectations outpaced the food and service. The beet salad was flavorful and small. The tuna tartare was smaller, the tuna had no taste and there was an overwhelming fragrant citrus taste, the presentation was attractive but the taste was lacking. The squid was served in a bowl fit for a king but the serving portion was made for a peasant. Either shrink the serving plate or increase the serving size. I felt like the serving was in the land of the giants. The flavor, while nothing technically wrong, was not to our liking. When asked by the waiter, we told him how we felt; his response..."you win some, you lose some". Then he turned and left the table. The coffee service was $4.50/cup? This was a one and done for us. Thanks.Special Features:
- Not ready for prime time.DemandingDined on 4/26/2014Staff was not fully trained. Very long wait times. Confusion with our order. Food was good. Dining experience poor.Special Features:
- Fun small platesChappaqua5423VIPDined on 4/25/2014Good for a group as everything comes in small plates meant for sharing, although there are 3 larger dishes. We had a fabulous asparagus and pea salad (with a lick your plate sauce) and delicious houmini cheese and eggplant dish. The spicy shrimp were very spicy, but too salty. In fact, everything was too salty. Ended with creamsicle soft serve --'a refreshing way to end the meal!Special Features:
- Great food, great drinks, great funOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/30/2013Love the ecliptic menu. Really interesting dishes. We ordered a few small plates and one was better than the next.Special Features:
- Fabulous new Nantucket restaurantKristyDined on 10/25/2013Opened by the same owners of the always great American Seasons, The new hot spot - The Proprietors does not disappoint. The menu is so unique, do not fear, just trust that you will LOVE everything that arrives tableside. No 5 on the drink list is superb with an amazing addition of bee pollen - who knew?!? We also loved the grown up Tater cubes and the Socca tart (beet and whipped feta), fabulous. We are Nantucket homeowners and always enjoy a new spot to try, especially off season when most restaurants are closing for the season. The atmosphere was warm, cozy and fun. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant butACKfanVIPDined on 10/16/2013The service was painfully slow, from getting drinks to the table at the start to ultimately leaving without ordering dessert because it had just taken so long to get through the meal up to that point. The very knowledgable waiter could discuss the menu well but either needed more help or simply was very laid back. My friends had steak, flavorful but tough, but overall the food was delicious and interesting. Atmosphere was fine, but having read that the name of the restaurant derives from a reference to historic Nantucket, I was underwhelmed by anything in the restaurant decor relating to that. In fact, the decor was a little bland. Despite this so-so review, I would go back again but with lower expectations. The small plates idea is good!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant small platesAckDebVIPDined on 10/12/2013Very imaginative cuisine in the former DeMarco location. Small plates are just the right size for sharing. Choices included Georgia Rock Shrimp on a "molten tamale" (polenta with a twist); king trumpet mushrooms, shaved "pork-umms" (Berkshire pork sliders on a biscuit with kimchee) and duck breast served sashimi style with quinoa. This Nantucket newcomer gets high marks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took 45 minutes to get a drinkACKDINERDined on 10/12/2013Took 45 minutes to get a drink after we sat down, then waiter completely forgot to bring a small plate my wife had ordered. When reminded he said it would be there quickly, but it came when everyone else at the table had finished eating. We had asked for separate checks as one person in our party had a gift certificate. The request was ignored and recalculations ensued at the end of the meal and took a long time.Good food, horrible service.Special Features:
- Excellent Dinner (& cocktail list!)MH98VIPDined on 10/2/2013We were excited to try this new restaurant in Nantucket during our annual trip to the island and were not disappointed. The food was excellent - we loved the tapas style dining which gave us the opportunity to sample a few different dishes. The cocktail menu was quite creative - although I was skeptical, I tried the No. 4, which included Kale in the list of ingredients and was pleasantly surprised! I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting the island - the ambiance/updated decor was welcoming, they provided a high level of service and, as mentioned above, the meal was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the fooddiningoutoftenVIPDined on 9/28/2013sat on the second floor this time and it lacks some love up there. downstairs is much more vibrant and exciting. service seemed off but the food was so spot on! love those porkumsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious small platesbks1Dined on 9/8/2013This is NOT the place to go with friends who are fussy eaters and expect a menu to have enough breadth to include their specific tastes. But it's great for taste explorers and people who like to try a couple of different things instead of one main course. They do offer several main course options but the fun is in the small plates. Really good the other night was a grilled and shredded pork concoction on a little bun and the grilled haloumi cheese (which I would like to eat again right now). Our waiter was excellent, knew the details of the menu items and stayed in range. Desserts were slightly exotic and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a visit.KarenVIPDined on 9/7/2013Fabulous location and scrumptious food as long as you love sharing! Common plates of yummy eclectic dishes. Loud and casual with great music. Tables on first floor in back are not great views of backyard/service area, hence the 3 for ambience. Just needs some creative flowering or painted screens for future. Worth a try to evaluate.Special Features:
- Fabulous Dining!!KarenDined on 9/1/2013This was our second visit, and we liked it even more than the first. I think we have had just about everything on the unique and delicious menu and, we would do it AGAIN!! Service was excellent; our server was very helpful in navigating the plates and choices. Bravo to the Proprietors!!!Special Features:
- Second time hereSusanDined on 8/29/2013Friends came to visit and we took them here. They would never have come on their own but said they loved it. I think we may have tried everything. The food is fresh and the balance of taste wonderfully creative. Bravo to the chefs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!EaterVIPDined on 8/22/2013Looked like the bar was lively; tables are upstairs so that doesn't affect the noise level for diners. There were six of us. We ordered several small plates each and had fun tasting. The cocktails and the food are inventive, and more importantly, delicious. EVERYTHING was delicious. Service was excellent. This restaurant is a great new addition to Nantucket.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best on Nantucket!FenerJWVIPDined on 8/21/2013Amazing food. I love anywhere I can go and pick and choose from small plates. Every bite was better than the next. Our favorite was the fluke ceviche plate. One of the best I've ever had. Great work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were outstanding.SirdinealotVIPDined on 8/21/2013Food and service were outstanding. This was the second time we have dined here and the upstairs area was much quieter. This is a great place to go if you like to share your food. We tried many small dishes like the shrimp, fluke and pork. All were amazing. We even saved room for dessert which we don't normally have so could recommend the blueberry stick and the Morrocan doughnuts! Just a note, if you like "hungry-man" portions this is not the place for you. If you want to enjoy a delicious meal and not feel you've blown your diet...try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/18/2013i guess i expected too much from a sister restaurant of American Seasons. Food was overpriced, pre cooked and just warmed up in the microwave!!! portions are very small, everything was over salted, service was very poor. They did not even offer us a desert!!! Just go to American Seasons if you would really like quality dinner!Special Features:
- Excellent new Nantucket restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/16/2013Everything was wonderful! Great to share and get a taste of the menu!! Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dinner and bar experiencemadaketRoxDined on 8/15/2013I have been to The Proprietors a number of times and the experience has been outstanding either with a large party (9 for a birthday) or with my husband sitting for drinks and apps at the bar. The atmosphere is hip, cosy and fun and the staff friendly, knowledgeable and passionate about the food and beverages they serve. It is fun to go with a large group and try lots of different plates (everything is delicious.. but don't miss the tater cubes) and then come back and order your favorites. The drinks are some of the most inventive and finely crafted I have had (no. 3 and no. 7 are favorites) In a town of very good restaurants to choose from we keep coming back to The Proprietors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST new addition to ACK dining!EPS172VIPDined on 8/13/2013Cocktails are unique and tasty - but be sure to ask about the strength of the drink. Ambiance is lovely. Service is personable. The real star of Proprietors is THE FOOD. So many layers of flavor in every dish. They really hit the nail on the head, paying attention to textures, colors, seasoning... My mouth is watering just thinking about the shrimp a la plancha. My one tiny critique is the wine: -I wish they had 1/2 bottles -the list is hard to follow (maybe I received out-of-order pages?) -by-the-glass offerings are not nearly as exciting as the bottles. I had a great bottle of wine with my S.O. the first time we dined, and the second time we each just had a glass of wine (one gruner and one muscadet), which were sadly underwhelming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and fun menu concept.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2013Great food and fun menu concept. Service a little inconsistent. Some real highlights on the menu include Pork Ums, yum! Desser not up to the quality of the rest of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.