The Prime Rib
2020 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Prime Rib
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theprimerib.com/
- Phone: (202) 466-8811
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm (Business casual attire until 5pm. Jacket required for dinner.)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Santiago Cisneros
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private room for parties up to 20.
- Private Party Contact: James MacLeod 2024668811
- Entertainment: Live Jazz - piano and bass.
- Special Events: 1/2 price bottles of wine from our Wine Spectator award winning list Monday thru Friday with the purchase of entrees for dinner until August 10th.
A word from The Prime Rib
Consistently Zagat's #1 Rated Steakhouse in DC. The Prime Rib features USDA Prime Dry Aged NY Strip Steaks&USDA Filet Mignon. One of DC's best kept secrets is their award winning seafood, such as Jumbo Lump Crabcakes and Imperial Crab. Casual dress at lunch, jackets after 5:00 pm , complimentary valet parking, live piano music nightly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
The Prime Rib - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Prime Rib reviews from OpenTable diners
198 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (144)romantic (93)notable wine list (83)fit for foodies (56)great for lunch (22)neighborhood gem (20)good for groups (20)vibrant bar scene (18)hot spot (10)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (4)great for brunch (3)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Step into old world eleganceskwmdDined on 11/8/2014Black leather booths, soft lighting, a jazz piano player and great food -- what more could you want from this 50 year old establishment. I go out of my way to have dinner here when in DC and am never disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black People Dont TipOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014I heard about this place from a friend, so I decided to have my birthday dinner here. I ordered the Jumbo lump crab cakes that were not even close to jumbo. In fact they were medium at best. Of the 5 of us African Americans who dined only 1 person was completely satisfied. She ordered the Lobster which was outstanding. Fast forward... The check comes to the table. Our waiter decides that it is exceptable to write the tip on the check as if we were not going to leave one. Our bill was approx $317 he wrote in a $64 tip. When has it become customary to hand write gratuity and the amount on the check? Personally we were offended as we made it a point to ask the white people who were seated next to us if the same was done & it was not.Special Features:
- AnniversaryAnniversaryDined on 11/3/2014This was a great place, me and my wife went here for our wedding anniversary and we both loved it.Special Features:
- come for the beeffoodie16Dined on 11/3/2014we had a delicious diner. Prime rib and tenderloin were cooked just right, Salds and veggies were very good. Good wine list and excellent service.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceSheLuvs2EatDined on 11/1/2014The food and the service was excellent. Our waiter, Harvey, provided impeccable service. Everything we ate was absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazingJLazMDDined on 10/30/2014The Prime Rib is always our go-to for special occasions or if you are just in the mood for the best prime rib around.Special Features:
- A Fabulous ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/28/2014There to celebrate my wife's birthday we thoroughly enjoyed our experience. Eric took very good care of us, the ambiance was romantic and the food superb. We enjoyed rack of lamb and crab cakes for entrees with creamed kale and au gratin potatoes. Recommend this place highly!Special Features:
- A Washington InstitutionBlackjackDined on 10/28/2014The Prime Rib is a Washington institution with excellent Prime Rib as the name would imply, but also some of the best crab cakes and imperial you will find in the Chesapeake Bay area. The service is outstanding and the wonderful piano music is an added bonus. I have been dining here since my college days in the mid 1970's. The atmosphere is something from an age of elegance that barely exists in America today. It is so refreshing to see patrons so well turned out. They look as good as the food tastes. It is a restaurant scene straight out of Mad Men.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed!CAngelesVIPDined on 10/24/2014This was our first time to return to Prime Rib after about 10 years. The Prime Rib Roast we remembered so fondly which melted like butter in one's mouth was no more. Though tender, my Prime Rib signature cut was almost tasteless and the prices were astronomical. We won't be back.Special Features:
- Special OccasionMarkeese30Dined on 10/24/2014The ambiance of this restaurant was one to remember. It felt like being back in time in an old world steak house. The piano and cello player was a nice touch. Service was top notch. Bar drinks were excellent. The appetizers ... we both agreed the crab cake was one of the best we've ever had. The escargot was disappointing though. They were extremely small and were placed inside mushroom caps. I tasted more mushroom than escargot. I had the special--porterhouse steak/spinach. Wife had--full cut prime rib/baked potato. I was disappointed in size/taste/tenderness of the porterhouse at that price point. The prime rib was the best I've ever tasted. Desert--apple pie ala mode and strawberry cheesecake ... both extremely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dining Experience!!ARobDined on 10/23/2014I went to celebrate a friend's birthday. The service was outstanding from the moment I arrived. We were promptly seated. I asked if there was a coat check, and my waiter took the liberty of taking my coat to coat check for me. I ordered 2 glasses of wine, then realized I would probably order more than two glasses, therefore needing a bottle. The waiter returned the two glasses to the kitchen, and returned with a bottle. The appetizers (crab cake & lobster bisque), sides (baked potato & asparagus) and main course (porterhouse & lamb chops), were excellent!! There was a pianist, who played all songs I requested (3 songs). He was awesome!! He also played Happy birthday for my friend's birthday. Overall, my dining experience was wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little stuffy but good foodsteakloverDined on 10/23/2014Was surprised to learn you need to wear a jacket even on a Thursday night and they are strict about it. The food was very good,we all had the signature prime rib which was cooked correctly which is hard to do at that thickness. Service was professional and attentive. The atmosphere was also a bit stuffy but the noise level created by the live piano was excessive. The musician was good but way to loud for the size of the restaurant.Special Features:
- UnderappreciatedPenmanshipVIPDined on 10/22/2014This could be the most underappreciated and underrated restaurant in DC. Perhaps because it has been here so long and is not considered trendy enough, but the food, service and atmosphere are outstanding. The crab cake is the best in the city and the prime rib melts in your mouth. The stuffed baked potato is so good we buy a second one to take home. This is one of our very favorite restaurants and we eat out 14 times a week.Special Features:
- Prime rib paradiseCrampedVIPDined on 10/18/2014I got the 24oz prime rib, it is of prehistoric proportions but delicious. No way to finish it. Things I liked: Blood orange martini, the blue cheese dressing, prime rib , lump crab appetizer, potato skins Things didnt like so much: Private party of 50 separated by a curtain was quite noisy, my waiter didnt give us complete list of specials at start, appetizers/salads a bit high of dollar scale Beautiful decor, happening place, older crowd, crowded bar sceneSpecial Features:
- Best of the Best!!ACH1Dined on 10/18/2014Gorgeous ambiance, great food and service! Definitely will be returning! They are famous for their Prime Rib, but their Filet Mignon is out of this world! Coats are required for gentlemen, but if you don't have one, they will supply one for you. This restaurant is by far, one of my favorites of all time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSteakloverDined on 10/17/2014Our server JD seemed overwhelmed and uninterested in providing attentive service. The food was ok but not worth the $200+ price tag (without wine). Our server kept forgetting our dietary restrictions (gluten free) and brought bread to our table twice. He also forgot to place our entire order with the kitchen so our meal came in 2 parts. He did the same with the table next to ours. We went for a classic , ambient, good service experience for our 20th anniversary. We would not return to this restaurant again.Special Features:
- Classy and Wonderful as Alwayst8teVIPDined on 10/16/2014Don't get there often enough, but always enjoy when I do...servers here are top shelf. They are the utmost professional and competent - I believe ours was Philip - he was wonderful! And the food is amazing. We each had a special: Dover sole and the porterhouse steak. Both were amazing! The sole was so light and flaky. The porterhouse was cooked perfectly and so tender. Wish we could do this more often but it's more of a special occasion place.Special Features:
- Outstanding Dinner ExperienceBillDined on 10/15/2014Was catching up with old friends and the whole experience was fantastic....from the valet parking to the great wine list to the food and most importantly the exceptional service and pace of dinner. The whole evening was so relaxed and intimate. We had a great time and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old school Washington steakhouseBostonepbDined on 10/13/2014Everything was perfect. Escargot, prime rib, potatoes and green beans. Classy service. Wonderful pecan pie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic date spotKimDDined on 10/13/2014Perfect place for a romantic dinner with your significant other. It was the first time my boyfriend and I have been here and we plan on coming back. Also, their steak is the best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable serviceKatieElaineVIPDined on 10/11/2014We picked this spot for an early dinner before a Kennedy Center show, and it was the perfect choice. The service was more than just prompt and courteous- they were friendly and charming. And the food was worth every penny. We split both the fish special - done brilliantly with a simple Lemmon butter caper sauce - and the half order of prime rib. I don't know how anyone could eat the full order! Although had we not been going to a show, it would have been great to bring home. Because we ate early, we didn't get to enjoy the live music which was setting up when we left. But the atmosphere when we were there was still welcoming and had lots of old-world charm. We'll definitely go again for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Time Style & GraceGlenVIPDined on 10/10/2014There use to be a time when you could go to a restaurant and the attention would be on the folks around the table, the meal and the ambiance. Before there were smart phones and people too busy to pay attention to people. The Prime Rib is one of those restaurants built for people who appreciate, service, style, great non-intrusive live jazz by a bassist and piano player. Great steaks, great sides, great wait staff. But I prefer to eat at the bar where DC's best Bar Tender's Matt and Bob hold court. One of my favorite places in DC since 1980!Special Features:
- Back againOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/10/2014I love this place whenever I go to dc I have to come back brings me back in Time I love that gentlemen have to wear jackets love the music the service the food all wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Prime Rib in DCSeattleGuy000VIPDined on 10/10/2014This is the best prime rib in DC. Also, the service was exceptional. Couldn't have asked for anything more.Special Features:
- Typical high-end steak houseShannonDined on 10/9/2014Similar to a Mortons, Ruth's, or DelFriscos - Very good Service, Food and ambiance. Men are expected to wear a Jacket, they have them if forgotten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School GoodBafflesDined on 10/4/2014I love this place. Everything is classic elegance. I recommend you show up early and enjoy a cocktail at the bar because it adds to the event. Our waiter was the perfect amount of help without helicoptering. We never asked for anything because it just magically appeared. As the name says, the serve prime rib and it was delicious. My date had the Strip and it was cooked perfectly and also delicious. They require a jacket but to be honest, this is a fancy dinner place so put a suit on. Although the Russian piano player is good, I recommend you get a table some distance away or you won't be able to have a quiet conversation.Special Features:
- Prime Rib Deserves 10 not 6 Stars!DentistfoodieDined on 10/4/2014I am from Cleveland, Ohio and I visit the District semi-regularly. I always always make a point to have dinner at Prime Rib. The food is beyond compare. It is delicious. The service is friendly, professional, efficient, friendly and cordial. The greeting at the door makes you feel like an honored guest. The server makes the evening special. The bus help is friendly and unobtrusive. The décor and ambiance is comfortable yet elegant. I think it is great that they have a "dress code" for the gentlemen (jackets). It lends a degree of decorum and civility to the experience. Truly, this is a restaurant that deserves 10 stars if such a rating existed. Please don't change. I look forward to seeing you again for another wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Great service -- overpriced foodnightoutDined on 10/4/2014The service was awesome, but the food wasn't worth the price.
- sdgvaDined on 10/3/2014We had an excellent meal, prepared perfectly. We had theatre tickets so could not linger long over dinner, but the service was not rushed either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime ExperienceBruncherDined on 10/3/2014There is a wonderful lunch special including the house salad which is a great medley of greens, a choice of entrees but I picked the flounder with panko fried to perfection that came with mashed potatoes that were sinfully rich and grilled asparagus that was tender and flavorful. Dessert is also included and the key lime pie was fresh, tart, creamy, and topped with luscious whipped cream - the real stuff!Special Features:
- Lived up to its reputationfoodieDDined on 10/2/2014I brought clients here and they were as impressed as I was. Everything was pretty much perfect. One of the best martinis I've ever had, steak was obviously flawless and I'm actually craving the potato skins. Definitely a very formal, masculine vibe - realized I was the only woman in the back room for a good while. But it added to the atmosphere, which was palpable and enjoyable.Special Features:
- By invitationJCaesarDined on 10/2/2014Well, let's see, I've been in the DC area for 12 years and this was my first time to visit the Prime Rib. The ambiance was so nice. You felt you had to spend money in this expensive place. lolI had a blast! I sat close to the piano...I was on a date with a beautiful young lady and the waiter was comical. The pianist was super talented. I recognized a few tunes and he even took request. That was amazing! He later allowed me the opportunity to go up and sing with him and that provided another treat for the restaurant guest. I enjoyed the food and the wine. Everything was freshly prepared! The employees were very polite and the restaurant guest were friendly too! I had a great time and so did my date! I think we'll come back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like dinner with an old friendDCvisitorVIPDined on 9/30/2014I've loved The Prime Rib for years. It's virtually the last steak house left that values calm over noise and commotion. Seriously, Palm has a fine steak, but the noise is deafening. And that seems to be the model for all the new places. Why does enjoying a steak have to be a boisterous affair? What's the point of going out for an expensive ($200+ per person) meal when you can't hear your companion across the table. The steak here was very good; the shrimp cocktail was even better. Ditto for the excellent martini. My one complaint continues to be a limited wine list with little non-US to choose from. But that's a quibble. Some things change, not always for the better. The Prime Rib is a welcome constant.Special Features:
- Not a fair value for the moneyHorowitzDined on 9/29/2014I knew that prices are in the upper segment in thjs restaurant but I am somewhat disappointed, that food and service don't match that level. I have had much better Filet Mignons at other restaurants, the boss of the restaurant seems to be more interested in his personal fun than in his guests and the English of our waiter was very difficult to understand.
- Great for dinner!ejlgkDined on 9/29/2014I've been for dinner later in the week and it's been wonderful. The service, ambiance, etc., is lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SpotFoodieDined on 9/29/2014Went to this restaurant for a business lunch and the service and food were great. Did have to raise my voice a little to deal with the piano playing. Nice touch but a little overkill for lunch in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IconicOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/26/2014The Prime Rib is an iconic DC editing experience. I have dined since just over the date they opened. IF you want prime rib, GO!..BUT do order the potato skins. PS.. My dad says the pork chop is also awesome.Special Features:
- RodiRodiDined on 9/26/2014One of the old time gems. It is still elegant and food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyment start to finish.ResidentPennQuarterDined on 9/25/2014Start with Valet Parking (Complimentary), and it gets better after that. The policy of gentlemen wearing coats lends one to believe, in and of itself, that you are about to be treated with dignity. Food and Service are just an added plus to the atmosphere where you are made to feel that the staff was waiting for you so they could be of service. Yes I would take my wife, who loved the experience, there again as well as guests to Washington DC, so that they could experience what relaxed and competent dining in the Capital should be like. Then to have your car waiting for you at the end of the evening the final touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All Time ClassicDiscerningDinerVIPDined on 9/22/2014The Prime Rib is the all time classic power spot in DC, with the best Prime Rib in the city, great food all around, and classically trained staff -- if you are over 40 it will remind of what eating at a great restaurant USED TO BE like! Have been going regularly for many years, no plans to stop.Special Features: