The Prime Rib
2020 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Prime Rib
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theprimerib.com/
- Phone: 2024668811
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm (Business casual attire until 5pm. Jacket required for dinner.)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Santiago Cisneros
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private room for parties up to 20.
- Private Party Contact: James MacLeod 2024668811
- Entertainment: Live Jazz - piano and bass.
- Special Events: 1/2 price bottles of wine from our Wine Spectator award winning list Monday thru Friday with the purchase of entrees for dinner until August 10th.
A word from The Prime Rib
Consistently Zagat's #1 Rated Steakhouse in DC. The Prime Rib features USDA Prime Dry Aged NY Strip Steaks&USDA Filet Mignon. One of DC's best kept secrets is their award winning seafood, such as Jumbo Lump Crabcakes and Imperial Crab. Casual dress at lunch, jackets after 5:00 pm , complimentary valet parking, live piano music nightly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
The Prime Rib - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Prime Rib reviews from OpenTable diners
170 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (124)romantic (83)notable wine list (69)fit for foodies (50)great for lunch (19)neighborhood gem (18)good for groups (16)vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (11)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Prime rib paradiseCrampedVIPDined on 10/18/2014I got the 24oz prime rib, it is of prehistoric proportions but delicious. No way to finish it. Things I liked: Blood orange martini, the blue cheese dressing, prime rib , lump crab appetizer, potato skins Things didnt like so much: Private party of 50 separated by a curtain was quite noisy, my waiter didnt give us complete list of specials at start, appetizers/salads a bit high of dollar scale Beautiful decor, happening place, older crowd, crowded bar sceneSpecial Features:
- Best of the Best!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014Gorgeous ambiance, great food and service! Definitely will be returning! They are famous for their Prime Rib, but their Filet Mignon is out of this world! Coats are required for gentlemen, but if you don't have one, they will supply one for you. This restaurant is by far, one of my favorites of all time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Our server JD seemed overwhelmed and uninterested in providing attentive service. The food was ok but not worth the $200+ price tag (without wine). Our server kept forgetting our dietary restrictions (gluten free) and brought bread to our table twice. He also forgot to place our entire order with the kitchen so our meal came in 2 parts. He did the same with the table next to ours. We went for a classic , ambient, good service experience for our 20th anniversary. We would not return to this restaurant again.Special Features:
- Classy and Wonderful as Alwayst8teVIPDined on 10/16/2014Don't get there often enough, but always enjoy when I do...servers here are top shelf. They are the utmost professional and competent - I believe ours was Philip - he was wonderful! And the food is amazing. We each had a special: Dover sole and the porterhouse steak. Both were amazing! The sole was so light and flaky. The porterhouse was cooked perfectly and so tender. Wish we could do this more often but it's more of a special occasion place.Special Features:
- Outstanding Dinner ExperienceBillDined on 10/15/2014Was catching up with old friends and the whole experience was fantastic....from the valet parking to the great wine list to the food and most importantly the exceptional service and pace of dinner. The whole evening was so relaxed and intimate. We had a great time and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old school Washington steakhouseBostonepbDined on 10/13/2014Everything was perfect. Escargot, prime rib, potatoes and green beans. Classy service. Wonderful pecan pie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic date spotKimDDined on 10/13/2014Perfect place for a romantic dinner with your significant other. It was the first time my boyfriend and I have been here and we plan on coming back. Also, their steak is the best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable serviceKatieElaineVIPDined on 10/11/2014We picked this spot for an early dinner before a Kennedy Center show, and it was the perfect choice. The service was more than just prompt and courteous- they were friendly and charming. And the food was worth every penny. We split both the fish special - done brilliantly with a simple Lemmon butter caper sauce - and the half order of prime rib. I don't know how anyone could eat the full order! Although had we not been going to a show, it would have been great to bring home. Because we ate early, we didn't get to enjoy the live music which was setting up when we left. But the atmosphere when we were there was still welcoming and had lots of old-world charm. We'll definitely go again for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Time Style & GraceGlenVIPDined on 10/10/2014There use to be a time when you could go to a restaurant and the attention would be on the folks around the table, the meal and the ambiance. Before there were smart phones and people too busy to pay attention to people. The Prime Rib is one of those restaurants built for people who appreciate, service, style, great non-intrusive live jazz by a bassist and piano player. Great steaks, great sides, great wait staff. But I prefer to eat at the bar where DC's best Bar Tender's Matt and Bob hold court. One of my favorite places in DC since 1980!Special Features:
- Back againOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/10/2014I love this place whenever I go to dc I have to come back brings me back in Time I love that gentlemen have to wear jackets love the music the service the food all wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Prime Rib in DCSeattleGuy000VIPDined on 10/10/2014This is the best prime rib in DC. Also, the service was exceptional. Couldn't have asked for anything more.Special Features:
- Typical high-end steak houseShannonDined on 10/9/2014Similar to a Mortons, Ruth's, or DelFriscos - Very good Service, Food and ambiance. Men are expected to wear a Jacket, they have them if forgotten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School GoodBafflesDined on 10/4/2014I love this place. Everything is classic elegance. I recommend you show up early and enjoy a cocktail at the bar because it adds to the event. Our waiter was the perfect amount of help without helicoptering. We never asked for anything because it just magically appeared. As the name says, the serve prime rib and it was delicious. My date had the Strip and it was cooked perfectly and also delicious. They require a jacket but to be honest, this is a fancy dinner place so put a suit on. Although the Russian piano player is good, I recommend you get a table some distance away or you won't be able to have a quiet conversation.Special Features:
- Prime Rib Deserves 10 not 6 Stars!DentistfoodieDined on 10/4/2014I am from Cleveland, Ohio and I visit the District semi-regularly. I always always make a point to have dinner at Prime Rib. The food is beyond compare. It is delicious. The service is friendly, professional, efficient, friendly and cordial. The greeting at the door makes you feel like an honored guest. The server makes the evening special. The bus help is friendly and unobtrusive. The décor and ambiance is comfortable yet elegant. I think it is great that they have a "dress code" for the gentlemen (jackets). It lends a degree of decorum and civility to the experience. Truly, this is a restaurant that deserves 10 stars if such a rating existed. Please don't change. I look forward to seeing you again for another wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Great service -- overpriced foodnightoutDined on 10/4/2014The service was awesome, but the food wasn't worth the price.
- sdgvaDined on 10/3/2014We had an excellent meal, prepared perfectly. We had theatre tickets so could not linger long over dinner, but the service was not rushed either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime ExperienceBruncherDined on 10/3/2014There is a wonderful lunch special including the house salad which is a great medley of greens, a choice of entrees but I picked the flounder with panko fried to perfection that came with mashed potatoes that were sinfully rich and grilled asparagus that was tender and flavorful. Dessert is also included and the key lime pie was fresh, tart, creamy, and topped with luscious whipped cream - the real stuff!Special Features:
- Lived up to its reputationfoodieDDined on 10/2/2014I brought clients here and they were as impressed as I was. Everything was pretty much perfect. One of the best martinis I've ever had, steak was obviously flawless and I'm actually craving the potato skins. Definitely a very formal, masculine vibe - realized I was the only woman in the back room for a good while. But it added to the atmosphere, which was palpable and enjoyable.Special Features:
- By invitationJCaesarDined on 10/2/2014Well, let's see, I've been in the DC area for 12 years and this was my first time to visit the Prime Rib. The ambiance was so nice. You felt you had to spend money in this expensive place. lolI had a blast! I sat close to the piano...I was on a date with a beautiful young lady and the waiter was comical. The pianist was super talented. I recognized a few tunes and he even took request. That was amazing! He later allowed me the opportunity to go up and sing with him and that provided another treat for the restaurant guest. I enjoyed the food and the wine. Everything was freshly prepared! The employees were very polite and the restaurant guest were friendly too! I had a great time and so did my date! I think we'll come back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like dinner with an old friendDCvisitorVIPDined on 9/30/2014I've loved The Prime Rib for years. It's virtually the last steak house left that values calm over noise and commotion. Seriously, Palm has a fine steak, but the noise is deafening. And that seems to be the model for all the new places. Why does enjoying a steak have to be a boisterous affair? What's the point of going out for an expensive ($200+ per person) meal when you can't hear your companion across the table. The steak here was very good; the shrimp cocktail was even better. Ditto for the excellent martini. My one complaint continues to be a limited wine list with little non-US to choose from. But that's a quibble. Some things change, not always for the better. The Prime Rib is a welcome constant.Special Features:
- Not a fair value for the moneyHorowitzDined on 9/29/2014I knew that prices are in the upper segment in thjs restaurant but I am somewhat disappointed, that food and service don't match that level. I have had much better Filet Mignons at other restaurants, the boss of the restaurant seems to be more interested in his personal fun than in his guests and the English of our waiter was very difficult to understand.
- Great for dinner!ejlgkDined on 9/29/2014I've been for dinner later in the week and it's been wonderful. The service, ambiance, etc., is lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SpotFoodieDined on 9/29/2014Went to this restaurant for a business lunch and the service and food were great. Did have to raise my voice a little to deal with the piano playing. Nice touch but a little overkill for lunch in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IconicOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/26/2014The Prime Rib is an iconic DC editing experience. I have dined since just over the date they opened. IF you want prime rib, GO!..BUT do order the potato skins. PS.. My dad says the pork chop is also awesome.Special Features:
- RodiRodiDined on 9/26/2014One of the old time gems. It is still elegant and food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyment start to finish.ResidentPennQuarterDined on 9/25/2014Start with Valet Parking (Complimentary), and it gets better after that. The policy of gentlemen wearing coats lends one to believe, in and of itself, that you are about to be treated with dignity. Food and Service are just an added plus to the atmosphere where you are made to feel that the staff was waiting for you so they could be of service. Yes I would take my wife, who loved the experience, there again as well as guests to Washington DC, so that they could experience what relaxed and competent dining in the Capital should be like. Then to have your car waiting for you at the end of the evening the final touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All Time ClassicDiscerningDinerVIPDined on 9/22/2014The Prime Rib is the all time classic power spot in DC, with the best Prime Rib in the city, great food all around, and classically trained staff -- if you are over 40 it will remind of what eating at a great restaurant USED TO BE like! Have been going regularly for many years, no plans to stop.Special Features:
- Love the Prime RibMomtotwinsDined on 9/20/2014My husband and I love the Prime Rib. We have been to both the Baltimore and DC locations multiple times. The food is usually excellent but this time it lacked it's usual flair. The flavor was excellent, but we both found the texture of our steaks to be a bit stringy. Based on our past experiences we are willing to let this one slide. I'm sure we will visit again.Special Features:
- Elegant DiningKat295Dined on 9/18/2014What a fantastic evening , from the time we walked into the Prime Rib…..The Ambiance was unbelievable,food one of the best….. a very special evening…….Best homemade Blueberry pie ever……Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced.Outdated.Average Steaks.dinerDined on 9/17/2014Sure, it has a classic feel, and attentive service, but the experience feels dated, and while the food is good, it doesn't deserve to be so overpriced. The wine list is limited. Steaks are good, but I've had better. A revamp of the menu, perhaps an updated decor, and certainly a better wine list would certainly be welcome.
- Wonderful meal and ambienceCarseyDined on 9/16/2014We had such a wonderful meal at The Prime Rib. Our entrees and appetizers were perfectly prepared, the staff was friendly and efficient and the ambience was wonderful. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- ExcellentKrupsmasterDined on 9/12/2014From the welcome to the farewell perfect service, Prime rib at its best an overall very satisfying experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner DecadenceAlohaAnaDined on 9/10/2014Located 1 block from my office, I can't believe I'd never been here. Felt like walking into a 60s supper club. Great for people-watching, lots of DC power players. Very fancy with the black and white decor and guy in tux on the piano. Jacket required (but they have loaners at the door). Started with cocktails and enjoyed their basket of famous potato skins. I had the filet mignon and broiled lobster which was amazing and my husband enjoyed their signature prime rib. The corn off the cob and creamed spinach sides were tasty as well. They gave us complimentary dessert (creme brulee) and coffee for our anniversary. Service was impeccable. Would return for another special occasion in a heartbeat. Bravo!Special Features:
- DisappointedDissappointedDined on 9/9/2014they didn't acknowledge that we were celebrating my Bday after we told them. They seated us in a terrible location even though they had plenty of seating. They cut our full cut prime rib without asking us, making it not as juicy as it should have been. The server Terrence was not as helpful to us as the older folks on both sides of us. I have been at your Maryland location and we were very happy with the food and service. I am so disappointed at this location. I picked this restaurant for my Bday dinner thinking that I would have a great celebration. I guess I got a Bday disappointment.Special Features:
- A regrettable eveningSteakman25Dined on 9/8/2014We had positive experiences at The Prime Rib in Philadelphia and were very disappointed at the DC version. The food was sub par and we were blindsided by the price of the Dover Sole ($73), a special not listed on the menu. No one thought it worth mentioning that the fish was about $30 more than any other fish on the menu and well above the price of the choicest steaks. We were shocked when the bill came. The manager said they announce prices of specials at lunch but not dinner since that would be "gauche." This is irrational as their menus have prices at both lunch and dinner. After a 15 minute negotiation with the "owner" the manager came back and gave us $10 off. A gracious apology or printed specials would have gone further. Don't go.
- Prime Rib Washington DCchsdining10yearsDined on 9/6/2014Absolutely fantastic. The service, the food, the staff were extremely warm and accommodating. We had a wonderful experience and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensiveMSCHDined on 9/6/2014We had the feeling that the Prime Rib has a healthy premium on its prices because if its prestigious name. Our New York strip was overpriced for the quality of the meat and the server just added the tip to the bill himself...
- Celebrating a special event?AGWTDined on 9/6/2014Had lobster Santiago (excellent) and bone in rib eye special, splitting both between two. Table busing was surprisingly poor, as we hit busiest time of evening. That being said, great special event location (anniversary for us), piano adds to the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A RegularOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2014The Prime, an established downtown steakhouse, offers first-time and regular customers quality entrees of meat and fish; well-prepared salads, sides, desserts; an extensive wine list; a concert pianist, discrete and courteous waiters who converse at many levels or not all, as customers prefer; a bartender who knows his business; a subdued ambiance that enhances conversation; and prices that are comparable to other good District restaurants. The Prime is open late; come a little later when the place is not crowded, and make a reservation.Special Features:
- best serviceDavidADined on 8/30/2014We had a great meal in one of my favorite restaurants. I love the ambiance and our waiter (Eric) was one of the best that I have had in a very long time. The food was great as usual.Special Features: