The Prime Rib
2020 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Prime Rib
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theprimerib.com/
- Phone: 2024668811
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm (Business casual attire until 5pm. Jacket required for dinner.)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Santiago Cisneros
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private room for parties up to 20.
- Private Party Contact: James MacLeod 2024668811
- Entertainment: Live Jazz - piano and bass.
- Special Events: 1/2 price bottles of wine from our Wine Spectator award winning list Monday thru Friday with the purchase of entrees for dinner until August 10th.
A word from The Prime Rib
Consistently Zagat's #1 Rated Steakhouse in DC. The Prime Rib features USDA Prime Dry Aged NY Strip Steaks&USDA Filet Mignon. One of DC's best kept secrets is their award winning seafood, such as Jumbo Lump Crabcakes and Imperial Crab. Casual dress at lunch, jackets after 5:00 pm , complimentary valet parking, live piano music nightly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Prime Rib - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Prime Rib reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (114)romantic (79)notable wine list (59)fit for foodies (40)good for groups (12)neighborhood gem (12)great for lunch (12)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (6)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (3)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- ExcellentKrupsmasterDined on 9/12/2014From the welcome to the farewell perfect service, Prime rib at its best an overall very satisfying experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner DecadenceAlohaAnaDined on 9/10/2014Located 1 block from my office, I can't believe I'd never been here. Felt like walking into a 60s supper club. Great for people-watching, lots of DC power players. Very fancy with the black and white decor and guy in tux on the piano. Jacket required (but they have loaners at the door). Started with cocktails and enjoyed their basket of famous potato skins. I had the filet mignon and broiled lobster which was amazing and my husband enjoyed their signature prime rib. The corn off the cob and creamed spinach sides were tasty as well. They gave us complimentary dessert (creme brulee) and coffee for our anniversary. Service was impeccable. Would return for another special occasion in a heartbeat. Bravo!Special Features:
- DisappointedDissappointedDined on 9/9/2014they didn't acknowledge that we were celebrating my Bday after we told them. They seated us in a terrible location even though they had plenty of seating. They cut our full cut prime rib without asking us, making it not as juicy as it should have been. The server Terrence was not as helpful to us as the older folks on both sides of us. I have been at your Maryland location and we were very happy with the food and service. I am so disappointed at this location. I picked this restaurant for my Bday dinner thinking that I would have a great celebration. I guess I got a Bday disappointment.Special Features:
- A regrettable eveningSteakman25Dined on 9/8/2014We had positive experiences at The Prime Rib in Philadelphia and were very disappointed at the DC version. The food was sub par and we were blindsided by the price of the Dover Sole ($73), a special not listed on the menu. No one thought it worth mentioning that the fish was about $30 more than any other fish on the menu and well above the price of the choicest steaks. We were shocked when the bill came. The manager said they announce prices of specials at lunch but not dinner since that would be "gauche." This is irrational as their menus have prices at both lunch and dinner. After a 15 minute negotiation with the "owner" the manager came back and gave us $10 off. A gracious apology or printed specials would have gone further. Don't go.
- Prime Rib Washington DCchsdining10yearsDined on 9/6/2014Absolutely fantastic. The service, the food, the staff were extremely warm and accommodating. We had a wonderful experience and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensiveMSCHDined on 9/6/2014We had the feeling that the Prime Rib has a healthy premium on its prices because if its prestigious name. Our New York strip was overpriced for the quality of the meat and the server just added the tip to the bill himself...
- Celebrating a special event?AGWTDined on 9/6/2014Had lobster Santiago (excellent) and bone in rib eye special, splitting both between two. Table busing was surprisingly poor, as we hit busiest time of evening. That being said, great special event location (anniversary for us), piano adds to the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A RegularOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2014The Prime, an established downtown steakhouse, offers first-time and regular customers quality entrees of meat and fish; well-prepared salads, sides, desserts; an extensive wine list; a concert pianist, discrete and courteous waiters who converse at many levels or not all, as customers prefer; a bartender who knows his business; a subdued ambiance that enhances conversation; and prices that are comparable to other good District restaurants. The Prime is open late; come a little later when the place is not crowded, and make a reservation.Special Features:
- best serviceDavidADined on 8/30/2014We had a great meal in one of my favorite restaurants. I love the ambiance and our waiter (Eric) was one of the best that I have had in a very long time. The food was great as usual.Special Features:
- Loved It!LoganDined on 8/30/2014We celebrated our 11th Anniversary here and loved it. The food was wonderful and the service was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally Made ItAmantediTavolaVIPDined on 8/30/2014After 40+ years in DC, finally got around to dining here. Ambiance is without peer. Mostly an older crowd of regulars, but a sprinkling of younger couples later. Service (Eric) was at a level rarely experienced in DC -- quiet, reserved, attentive, utterly professional. Our apps -- crab cake and soft shell crab special -- were among the very best versions we've eaten. Can't say the same for the bone-in ribeye special -- $62 for a one-inch thick piece that couldn't be properly crusted without overcooking the inside (as with ours). I looked longingly at a 4-inch thick slab of prime rib ($57) at the neighboring table and wondered how we could have gone wrong. A small discrepancy in the bill was amicably resolved. Still would return.Special Features:
- PoohDined on 8/30/2014Loved the evening - all of it. The food was great. We used the $59 special and the 40% off a bottle of wine. It made the evening memorable and affordable to us.Special Features:
- The Best Place on EarthClem215Dined on 8/27/2014The Best Place to Friend. It is high price. but is the Best. Good all around . thanks Clemence HumlSpecial Features:
- Superb dining at its best.AlweavDined on 8/27/2014I cannot say enough good things about this restaurant. I have eaten in the top restaurants in New York and New Orleans, and this restaurant is right up there. Impeccable service, to-die-for food, and beautiful atmosphere. The oysters on the half shell were the biggest and most delicious I've had. Wait staff watched your every move and were waiting to refill your wine glass or clear your plate promptly. Best service I've had in a while. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of it's kind!!TanyaDined on 8/25/2014Go here expecting a first class "old school" dining experience, with leopard wall- to-wall carpet! Great sequence of service. Fine wine service. Classic menu. This is a place you go to dine. This type of service needs to be experienced. Expect to spend the evening relaxing and talking with you guests. Very easily a 2 hour dinner service.Special Features:
- 2nd time the charmtoughcookieDined on 8/25/2014First visit was during restaurant week in DC! Table location was not optimal. This time, the food, ambiance (table 36) and especially the service (Eric) shined. Truly a local treasure. Initial house Manhattan & Cosmo helped get things going. Entertainment provided by the piano player, clientele and our waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails to be greatRobertDined on 8/22/2014As always with the Prime Rim, the food is excellent and the service was outstanding. The Prime Rib is my go to restaurant for celebrating special events and it never fails to deliver.Special Features:
- Prime Beef?????HungryinSAVIPDined on 8/21/2014I usually don't write reviews unless the food is absolutely superb, or the experience is so bad!!! I am at a complete loss how this restaurant could be rated #1 in DC. Or how it got such high Zagat ratings. Upon ordering I asked the waiter for their signature cut Prime Rib, rare, juicy, and highly marbled was the request. What I received was dense, medium, with absolutely no flavor. I immediately asked the waiter to remove and bring what I asked for. The second one was not much better, a little rarer but extremely dense with no marbling, and again little flavor. My wife's small prime rib was uneatable, (which she left on her plate untouched) and the lobster was overcooked and chewy. "Prime Beef"????? I don't think so.
- Ol' ReliableClassicDinerDined on 8/20/2014Thoroughly enjoyable dining experience. If you want trends, go somewhere else. If you want to enjoy a great dining experience, don't go anywhere else. It's why I look forward to my return visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent overallFamilyDinnerDined on 8/13/2014Everything about the dinner and experience was excellent. The menu can be pricey but the food does not disappoint. The service was outstanding and friendly. The prime rib was very tastefully seasoned and cooked just right. I ordered the Prime Rib Special, which included an appetizer, entree, and dessert. That was a great deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE PLACE NOT TO MISS WHEN IN DCOlivierGDined on 8/12/2014Prime Rib is much more than a steak house. The service is excellent, the atmosphere thanks to jazz pianist, very peacefull and friendly. Food is very delicate.Special Features:
- MolardocDined on 8/12/2014Beautiful dining room with my kind of music. i have been going there it opened in the 1970's and never had a bad meal or experience. Although it is a steak house the seafood, particularly the crab, is outstanding. The service is way above average. Sometimes you mat want the waiter to join you at your table. The drinks are poured sufficiently. Has been our favorite for mny years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/11/2014Very nice overall dining experience. Soup, salad, sides, and my wife's prime rib were delicious. My dry-aged NY strip was not up to par. Tasted OK but the cut of meat was not good. It looked like a steak out of a supermarket sales flyer. It was barely 1/2 inch thick. No where near the standard of a high quality steakhouse.Special Features:
- Great for special occasionsMeatgirlDined on 8/8/2014We went to The Prime Rib for our last dinner in DC after my daughter's summer internship. She is a music ed major and prime rib lover, so the great prime rib and live piano&string bass music playing made for a wonderful time. The staff was very personable and unpretentious, even though the restaurant was fine dining. My son had a shirt and tie, but had not packed a jacket for the trip. When we entered the restaurant, the Maitre D walked him to the coat room and Pentagon a jacket. He made him very comfortable when it could have been an awkward situation. We'd definitely return when in DC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- girlfriends birthdayawestinoDined on 8/7/2014i brought my girlfriend here for her birthday dinner and she absolutely LOVED it. the decor, the service, the food...every last detail. she's an avid red meat eater so she especially loved the tender prime rib. she cant waits to go back.Special Features:
- CooksalotDined on 8/7/2014I love this wonderully old fashioned restaurant. The beef is fantastic. The service is impecable.Special Features:
- Washingtons #1 steak?? What year?EdwardSilkVIPDined on 8/6/2014I recently visited this steak house for my brothers birthday. His choice. I will have to say that I'd like to know what year this was voted Washingtons #1 steakhouse because I think they should count the votes again if it's was 2014. Was it good? Yes. Was it an amazing resturant all around including the steak? Certainly not. I know it's an iconic resturant but there are better steak places out there. It was over priced, inappropriatly portioned(regarding a $10 GIANT sweet potatoe and another $10 for 10 skinny sad looking grilled asparagus) the NY strip didn't have much flavor and the house salad was not that delicious either. In fact, the best thing on the menu is hands down the potatoe skins. Overall, first and last time I'll be visiting.Special Features:
- DC JewelKathyPDined on 8/6/2014Wonderful and relaxed lunch. Food and service were perfect. As good as food and service were, pianist, Dan Ruskin, and his gorgeous music really made the occasion memorable. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TraditionalBusinessDined on 8/4/2014I had a $200 gift card and went to Prime Rib with a friend. He left a cash tip, and I paid the balance of $62. That was great value for outstanding food, but I wouldn't have wanted to pay so much if I'd had to pay it all. Great service from waiter who provided information and advice but didn't intrude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OversoldDined on 8/2/2014Food and service was first class. The light music and the solo by the maitre'd added to a great evening. We will probably return soon.Special Features:
- Old time steak placeReinharmVIPDined on 8/1/2014This is a through back to the steak joints of old... or it is a steak place of old that never changed! dark booths, white tablecloths, waiters in tuxes, jacket required for dinner, etc.Special Features:
- Food continues to be outstandingYummyDined on 7/31/2014Every time we go to The Prime Rib, we are so happy! From the service to the food, everything is perfect! As my husband said to my son, who hadn't remembered being there, from the drinks to the dessert, it all keeps getting better and better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FirstCenturyVoyagerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014Side dishes were overpriced for the modest size of the servings. Ingredient costs for mashed potatoes are minimal. Why not give a decent-sized serving? Welcome was far from warm. Waiter was quite aloof and never smiled. After dinner coffee served was barely lukewarm. For a restaurant at this price point, there were several components of the dining experience that simply didn't measure up. Not surprising that the restaurant was two thirds empty on a weeknight. A famous restaurant appears to be slipping by inattention to the details.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service.StudDined on 7/31/2014The Prime Rib has been one of my all time favorites for 30 years. It's as good now as it ever was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Prime Rib July 28, 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/28/2014I had my birthday dinner here with a few of my family & friends. Such a nice atmosphere, elegant, and service was excellent. If you are a male planning on attending after 5 pm you are required to wear a suit jacketSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just too expensiveinvasivedocDined on 7/28/2014Just too expensive compared to what you get. Got a bill of 300$ for two people who got starters, main course and a bottle of not so good wine. Simply not worth it
- Our Favorite Place to Dine AloneBrunchVIPDined on 7/28/2014We LOVE everything about The Prime Rib. We have been dining there for YEARS. We first started going there when we were dating, and that was over 24 years ago now. It's our special occasion place, and we are never disappointed. Thank you Prime Rib!Special Features:
- RayCDined on 7/26/2014The Prime Rib Was Great we will be back everything was great I never had anything that was not first classSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Night outLetseatnowDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I had chosen to dine out at The Prime Rib last Saturday evening with a 5:45pm reservation. We typically don't like to eat this early, but thought it would be better than a 9:00pm reservation. We were pleasantly greeted at the door with no wait for out table which was perfectly situated right in front of the grand piano. Our server Dave was fantastic and patient as we were uncertain what we wanted. He was very attentive to us and made some excellent suggestions. We were under no schedule and ended up staying most of the night and left near 10:00. The ambiance was brilliant with a wonderful pianist and bass player that take requests. A very memorable evening for our anniversary.Special Features:
- Just OK--first time visitorKappatvatingDined on 7/26/2014This dining experience was mediocre at best. We arrived early since we were dining with our infant child to ensure we did not disturb other guest. While i appreciate the prompt service for my son and proper cost of his food ($10--vice the $30 charge at another fine dining restaurant last month for chicken and French fries for a 22 month old). My food lacked any WOW factor. The prime rib was tender when first presented but without a little extra au ju during the meal it became a little dry. My server never explained the menu nor made recommendations for meals or how to prepare the prime rib (I ordered medium) I noticed another server go into great detail about how the wine was 40% off and suggested ways to have the prime rib cooked.Special Features: