The Prime Rib
2020 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Prime Rib
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theprimerib.com/
- Phone: 2024668811
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm (Business casual attire until 5pm. Jacket required for dinner.)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Santiago Cisneros
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private room for parties up to 20.
- Private Party Contact: James MacLeod 2024668811
- Entertainment: Live Jazz - piano and bass.
- Special Events: 1/2 price bottles of wine from our Wine Spectator award winning list Monday thru Friday with the purchase of entrees for dinner until August 10th.
A word from The Prime Rib
Consistently Zagat's #1 Rated Steakhouse in DC. The Prime Rib features USDA Prime Dry Aged NY Strip Steaks&USDA Filet Mignon. One of DC's best kept secrets is their award winning seafood, such as Jumbo Lump Crabcakes and Imperial Crab. Casual dress at lunch, jackets after 5:00 pm , complimentary valet parking, live piano music nightly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
The Prime Rib - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Prime Rib reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (122)romantic (87)notable wine list (61)fit for foodies (42)neighborhood gem (14)great for lunch (13)good for groups (12)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)great for brunch (5)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- best serviceDavidADined on 8/30/2014We had a great meal in one of my favorite restaurants. I love the ambiance and our waiter (Eric) was one of the best that I have had in a very long time. The food was great as usual.Special Features:
- Loved It!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014We celebrated our 11th Anniversary here and loved it. The food was wonderful and the service was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PoohDined on 8/30/2014Loved the evening - all of it. The food was great. We used the $59 special and the 40% off a bottle of wine. It made the evening memorable and affordable to us.Special Features:
- Superb dining at its best.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014I cannot say enough good things about this restaurant. I have eaten in the top restaurants in New York and New Orleans, and this restaurant is right up there. Impeccable service, to-die-for food, and beautiful atmosphere. The oysters on the half shell were the biggest and most delicious I've had. Wait staff watched your every move and were waiting to refill your wine glass or clear your plate promptly. Best service I've had in a while. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of it's kind!!TanyaDined on 8/25/2014Go here expecting a first class "old school" dining experience, with leopard wall- to-wall carpet! Great sequence of service. Fine wine service. Classic menu. This is a place you go to dine. This type of service needs to be experienced. Expect to spend the evening relaxing and talking with you guests. Very easily a 2 hour dinner service.Special Features:
- 2nd time the charmtoughcookieDined on 8/25/2014First visit was during restaurant week in DC! Table location was not optimal. This time, the food, ambiance (table 36) and especially the service (Eric) shined. Truly a local treasure. Initial house Manhattan & Cosmo helped get things going. Entertainment provided by the piano player, clientele and our waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails to be greatRobertDined on 8/22/2014As always with the Prime Rim, the food is excellent and the service was outstanding. The Prime Rib is my go to restaurant for celebrating special events and it never fails to deliver.Special Features:
- Ol' ReliableClassicDinerDined on 8/20/2014Thoroughly enjoyable dining experience. If you want trends, go somewhere else. If you want to enjoy a great dining experience, don't go anywhere else. It's why I look forward to my return visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent overallFamilyDinnerDined on 8/13/2014Everything about the dinner and experience was excellent. The menu can be pricey but the food does not disappoint. The service was outstanding and friendly. The prime rib was very tastefully seasoned and cooked just right. I ordered the Prime Rib Special, which included an appetizer, entree, and dessert. That was a great deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE PLACE NOT TO MISS WHEN IN DCOlivierGDined on 8/12/2014Prime Rib is much more than a steak house. The service is excellent, the atmosphere thanks to jazz pianist, very peacefull and friendly. Food is very delicate.Special Features:
- MolardocDined on 8/12/2014Beautiful dining room with my kind of music. i have been going there it opened in the 1970's and never had a bad meal or experience. Although it is a steak house the seafood, particularly the crab, is outstanding. The service is way above average. Sometimes you mat want the waiter to join you at your table. The drinks are poured sufficiently. Has been our favorite for mny years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/11/2014Very nice overall dining experience. Soup, salad, sides, and my wife's prime rib were delicious. My dry-aged NY strip was not up to par. Tasted OK but the cut of meat was not good. It looked like a steak out of a supermarket sales flyer. It was barely 1/2 inch thick. No where near the standard of a high quality steakhouse.Special Features:
- Great for special occasionsMeatgirlDined on 8/8/2014We went to The Prime Rib for our last dinner in DC after my daughter's summer internship. She is a music ed major and prime rib lover, so the great prime rib and live piano&string bass music playing made for a wonderful time. The staff was very personable and unpretentious, even though the restaurant was fine dining. My son had a shirt and tie, but had not packed a jacket for the trip. When we entered the restaurant, the Maitre D walked him to the coat room and Pentagon a jacket. He made him very comfortable when it could have been an awkward situation. We'd definitely return when in DC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- girlfriends birthdayawestinoDined on 8/7/2014i brought my girlfriend here for her birthday dinner and she absolutely LOVED it. the decor, the service, the food...every last detail. she's an avid red meat eater so she especially loved the tender prime rib. she cant waits to go back.Special Features:
- CooksalotDined on 8/7/2014I love this wonderully old fashioned restaurant. The beef is fantastic. The service is impecable.Special Features:
- Washingtons #1 steak?? What year?EdwardSilkVIPDined on 8/6/2014I recently visited this steak house for my brothers birthday. His choice. I will have to say that I'd like to know what year this was voted Washingtons #1 steakhouse because I think they should count the votes again if it's was 2014. Was it good? Yes. Was it an amazing resturant all around including the steak? Certainly not. I know it's an iconic resturant but there are better steak places out there. It was over priced, inappropriatly portioned(regarding a $10 GIANT sweet potatoe and another $10 for 10 skinny sad looking grilled asparagus) the NY strip didn't have much flavor and the house salad was not that delicious either. In fact, the best thing on the menu is hands down the potatoe skins. Overall, first and last time I'll be visiting.Special Features:
- DC JewelKathyPDined on 8/6/2014Wonderful and relaxed lunch. Food and service were perfect. As good as food and service were, pianist, Dan Ruskin, and his gorgeous music really made the occasion memorable. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TraditionalBusinessDined on 8/4/2014I had a $200 gift card and went to Prime Rib with a friend. He left a cash tip, and I paid the balance of $62. That was great value for outstanding food, but I wouldn't have wanted to pay so much if I'd had to pay it all. Great service from waiter who provided information and advice but didn't intrude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OversoldDined on 8/2/2014Food and service was first class. The light music and the solo by the maitre'd added to a great evening. We will probably return soon.Special Features:
- Old time steak placeReinharmVIPDined on 8/1/2014This is a through back to the steak joints of old... or it is a steak place of old that never changed! dark booths, white tablecloths, waiters in tuxes, jacket required for dinner, etc.Special Features:
- Food continues to be outstandingYummyDined on 7/31/2014Every time we go to The Prime Rib, we are so happy! From the service to the food, everything is perfect! As my husband said to my son, who hadn't remembered being there, from the drinks to the dessert, it all keeps getting better and better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FirstCenturyVoyagerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014Side dishes were overpriced for the modest size of the servings. Ingredient costs for mashed potatoes are minimal. Why not give a decent-sized serving? Welcome was far from warm. Waiter was quite aloof and never smiled. After dinner coffee served was barely lukewarm. For a restaurant at this price point, there were several components of the dining experience that simply didn't measure up. Not surprising that the restaurant was two thirds empty on a weeknight. A famous restaurant appears to be slipping by inattention to the details.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service.StudDined on 7/31/2014The Prime Rib has been one of my all time favorites for 30 years. It's as good now as it ever was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Prime Rib July 28, 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/28/2014I had my birthday dinner here with a few of my family & friends. Such a nice atmosphere, elegant, and service was excellent. If you are a male planning on attending after 5 pm you are required to wear a suit jacketSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just too expensiveinvasivedocDined on 7/28/2014Just too expensive compared to what you get. Got a bill of 300$ for two people who got starters, main course and a bottle of not so good wine. Simply not worth it
- Our Favorite Place to Dine AloneBrunchVIPDined on 7/28/2014We LOVE everything about The Prime Rib. We have been dining there for YEARS. We first started going there when we were dating, and that was over 24 years ago now. It's our special occasion place, and we are never disappointed. Thank you Prime Rib!Special Features:
- RayCDined on 7/26/2014The Prime Rib Was Great we will be back everything was great I never had anything that was not first classSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Night outLetseatnowDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I had chosen to dine out at The Prime Rib last Saturday evening with a 5:45pm reservation. We typically don't like to eat this early, but thought it would be better than a 9:00pm reservation. We were pleasantly greeted at the door with no wait for out table which was perfectly situated right in front of the grand piano. Our server Dave was fantastic and patient as we were uncertain what we wanted. He was very attentive to us and made some excellent suggestions. We were under no schedule and ended up staying most of the night and left near 10:00. The ambiance was brilliant with a wonderful pianist and bass player that take requests. A very memorable evening for our anniversary.Special Features:
- Just OK--first time visitorKappatvatingDined on 7/26/2014This dining experience was mediocre at best. We arrived early since we were dining with our infant child to ensure we did not disturb other guest. While i appreciate the prompt service for my son and proper cost of his food ($10--vice the $30 charge at another fine dining restaurant last month for chicken and French fries for a 22 month old). My food lacked any WOW factor. The prime rib was tender when first presented but without a little extra au ju during the meal it became a little dry. My server never explained the menu nor made recommendations for meals or how to prepare the prime rib (I ordered medium) I noticed another server go into great detail about how the wine was 40% off and suggested ways to have the prime rib cooked.Special Features:
- mouthwatering meatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014We are on holiday from England and I had heard about this on TV as the best Rib in Washington. It was not cheap but it was the best meat I ever had!Special Features:
- Romantic & ClassyDktran31VIPDined on 7/24/2014Went here for dinner on a Thursday night. My date and I enjoyed our time. We had the imperial crab appetizer, 18oz ribeye, 12oz prime rib, sautéed spinach and sautéed mushrooms. The food would be a 4.2/5. Service would be similar. They have a strict dress code for men, jackets are required after 5 pm. They also provide loaners if you do not have one. The establishment is very romantic and classy - with a live pianist. Great steak place - highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for business meetingRenaissanceWomanDined on 7/24/2014Quality ingredients, professionally cooked, excellent, personable service. Overall a 4+'star experience. Menu and decor could use some updating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mom's Bday SUCCESS!mothersbdayDined on 7/24/2014I do not remember my servers name. Nevertheless he was amazing and very patient. He treated my mother with love and care and I couldn't have chosen a better restaurant to attend! This was an overall joyous moment and occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/22/2014The food was good. The service was okay. People very pleasant and respectful. Disappeared for extended periods a couple times. Having a jacket policy is fine, but not allowing someone to take it off during dinner 'because the owner doesn't like it' is ridiculous. Getting a little dated. Very mature crowd.
- Old Restaurant with its Old CharmDCVisitorDined on 7/21/2014Food is good. Service is excellent. Very pricey. The food doesn't even wow you. Need to update the ambiance. I know it's trying to keep up with the DC style but the place badly needs updating.
- WonderfulHellolydiaDined on 7/19/2014Simply wonderful. Amazing food and the service was top. One gentleman who wasn't our waiter even sang happy birthday in Italian in a lovely baritone - we loved it. They were attentive and funny and made the entire experience the perfect birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NANCYNANCYDined on 7/19/2014This was one of the best dinners I have had in DC in 23 years. How nice to finally eat in a upscale restaurant where men and women dressed appropriately, electronic equipment put away; no one was talking on cell phones; fantastic service that accommodated two physical problems; delicious food and a good pour on wine. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014I had very high hopes for this restaurant but was disappointed. This a place for old school folks and the food reflects as much.
- Great Place butNicks525Dined on 7/17/2014Ok I am from California so the Jack thing at a steakhouse has not been done in years... I did forget to bring my jacket, so if your a guy bring a jacket tie etc. Looks kinda funny when your in jeans. Overall the food is great. Tasty and like a traditional steakhouse.Special Features:
- Excellent for a business dinnerLisamalDined on 7/16/2014The bartenders and waiters are extremely attentive. The food was outstanding. A piano player added to a really memorable dining experience.Special Features: