The Prime Rib
1701 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Prime Rib
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theprimerib.com/
- Phone: (215) 772-1701
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Eddy Castillo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Piano and Bass
A word from The Prime Rib
Gargantuan cuts of prime beef, extra thick chops, and simply prepared fresh seafood are the straightforward offerings of this steakhouse that evokes the supper clubs of Manhattan in the 1940's. Leopard print carpeting, black lacquered walls trimmed in brass and tuxedoed waiters complete the elegant atmosphere, featuring live piano and bass nightly. Dress code is business casual.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
The Prime Rib - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
The Prime Rib reviews from OpenTable diners
262 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (203)romantic (168)fit for foodies (88)good for groups (71)notable wine list (69)neighborhood gem (49)vibrant bar scene (22)hot spot (20)late-night find (14)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Good but not great...2bCLaBanDined on 9/12/2014The ambiance was a bit cold, not very inviting. The host staff seemed a bit snotty, though our waiter was very nice. We went during Restaurant Week, and the food options were satisfactory. We got the prime rib with two sides and dessert. The prime rib was good; however we have had much better for much less. It tasted like the mashed potatoes were from a mix, though the chocolate mousse pie was delicious. Service was good and our waiter was very polite and attentive. It was a nice experience for Restaurant Week, though I would recommend other restaurants before this one.
- AwesomeHungrytigerDined on 9/11/2014My sister and I met up at the bar for Restaurant Week, the drinks were very good and the bar is gorgeous. We got a booth seat and from the time we met our waiter Vincent our dinner turned into the most Awesome experience!! The food was delicious and our waiter was gorgeous with a personality to match!!!! Vincent is the most charismatic, caring, funny, and attentive waiter I've ever had, he's such an asset to the Prime Rib. My sister wanted to come back the next day and do it all over again, the crab cakes were delicious and the sweet potato was huge and more than enough for us to share. We had a great time thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime Rib still a Prime restaurantArchieDined on 9/10/2014I haven't dined at Prime Rib in a long time, but glad to say it is still great. It is still a very classy upscale restaurant and the food and wine are great. Our waiter matched up a perfect wine for our Prime Rib.Special Features:
- Good as alwaysSTeatoutDined on 9/10/2014Prime Rib is a reliable stand by. Good food, surroundings and music. Kind of old supper club feel, Mobbed because of restaurant week ; service slow but pleasant.Special Features:
- memorable!fav2dineDined on 9/8/2014Delicious prime rib, perfection. The desert was divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service excellent restaurantantoinetteVIPDined on 9/8/2014One of the most romantic restaurants I have ever visited. Great food, service and wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodlizzie369Dined on 9/8/2014prime rib was delicious, sides were also good but very small amount. The chocolate dessert was the best I've ever had. The ambience is really nice and the staff is super pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!Linda325fromNewtownDined on 9/7/2014Gorgeous restaurant, outstanding service and wonderful food! Love everything about The Prime Rib!Special Features:
- Very good restaurantNat1VIPDined on 9/6/2014Very good food. Wonderful service. Beautiful restaurant. The prices have really gone sky high. So we now only go for very special occasions.Special Features:
- Always ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014My wife and I travel to Philadelphia at least 3 - 4 times each year and have never missed having Saturday Night Dinner at the Prime Rib. The service and food are always excellent. Our friends often ask why we visit Philadelphia so often and we always say "Because of the Great Food". Anyone visiting this wonderful city should experience the Prime Rib I can assure you won't be disappointed. Mark StankiewiczSpecial Features:
- VERY NICE OVERALL EXPERIENCEBUDDYDined on 9/6/2014ALL AROUND EXCELLENT. WINE LIST PRICES WERE REASONABLE AND WINES WERE VERY GOOD. EXPENSIVE BUT WORTH IT. WE WILL RETURN.Special Features:
- Anniversary Celebration Dinnernikki722VIPDined on 9/5/2014My husband and I were celebrating our 22nd wedding anniversary. The decor of the restaurant was great for a romantic evening for two. We were greeted by friendly staff and our waiter was superb. There was a live pianist accompanied by a bassist that played dinner music throughout the evening. The food was great and our waiter surprised us with a complimentary creme brulee for dessert. We also received a $10 anniversary credit on our bill. Awesome night!Special Features:
- The DownfallnonnaVIPDined on 9/3/2014My husbands cherrystone clams were too large and could not be chewed in one gulp and could not be cut into two. It was all he could do but gag. Our salads (good) were served on plates too small to contain the contents and lettuce kept falling off the plates.Two of the four of us ordered prime rib which was so tough that even with lots of sawing with the steak knife could neither be easily cut nor chewed. The waiter took them back and returned with what he hoped would be better. It was not. The potatoes au gratin were disgusting, a horrible mess of inedible stuff.bread was a cheap and stale. The bus boy spoke little English and grunted when he came to remove the plates. The price of the dinner left us thinking we had been swindled.
- dinnerdinnerDined on 9/2/2014the prime rib was actually terrible and very disappointing. dry and seemed like it was sitting under a heater lamp. cold seafood cocktail was great. service was greatSpecial Features:
- Prime RibMargaretVIPDined on 8/31/2014A delightful restaurant, great ambiance. Service was off on this visit not up to usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food just okteresaDined on 8/30/2014Service was great. Food was just ok. We had crab cakes and lobster and both were just average.
- Truth in AdvertisingNettieDined on 8/30/2014It had been a number of years since I dined at The Prime Rib. It will NOT be a number of years before I return. I went because of a special deal they were offering. Their 15oz Prime Rib was $25. It was worth $50. This is one restaurant I will visit even when it is not restaurant week, or even if they are not offering a special deal. Truly worth every penny, and the service was Top Notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Prime RibVirginIslandGirlDined on 8/29/2014Excellent Steaks - We think the best in Philadelphia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good, always predictableSherzVIPDined on 8/25/2014This is a place that you can depend on. The atmosphere and service are impeccable, no surprises on the menu. It's the standards, and they do it very well. If you love steaks, chops, seafood done and presented perfectly but not imaginatively, this is your place. Fabulous potato skins, good vegetable sides, extensive wine list. Their signature prime rib is always perfect. However, if you're looking for creativity in the kitchen, this is not your place. Be warned that it is very expensive... everything is a la carte. A vegetable side dish is $10, a potato $10, for instance. The only disappointment was the apple pie for dessert. Pitifully ordinary, it was dry and bland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved It!!!ImAGeDined on 8/24/2014To my wife for her bday n they made everything perfect... Food was great she said it was the best steak she ever had... I loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special/RetroanniemouseDined on 8/24/2014I come to Philly from the burbs for my birthday dinner. I love the retro 'supper club' atmosphere. One expects to see Fred and Ginger appear to dance to the piano music. The service is professional and the prime rib always terrific. Add a perfect gin martini and shat else could a girl ask for?Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014My favorite restaurant. The quality of the prime rib is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Dine for a Perfect nightJust3ngageDined on 8/23/2014Best restaurant I have ever been to. The food was on point. The waiters did everything but feed the food to us. I couldn't recommend this place anymore then I tried already. Propose to my now fiancee after the perfect dinner.Special Features:
- disappointingDisappointingDined on 8/23/2014Booked this place months in advance for boyfriend's birthday. I enjoyed the crabcake and shrimp cocktail. My salad was ok, my steak was terribly underseasoned with a bizarre grill mark pattern. My boyfriend had the Lamb and was pleased with it. I did not complain because it was a celebration and my boyfriend enjoyed his meal. I just made a note to never return again. I have been to all the major steak houses in the surrounding area and Del Frisco's is by far my favorite. TPR has a romantic setting and lower noise level, perfect for a special occasion however, the bland food leaves me no choice but to celebrate elsewhere in the future. I've been to TPR a few times in the past, and I don't recall being as disappointed as I was last night.
- Excellent as expectedPADinerDined on 8/23/2014Had a delightful "date night" prime rib dinner. Tried 3 different wines by the glass, all very interesting and good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014always good, never disappointed --servers are professionsal don't forget to try the potato skinsSpecial Features:
- Always DeliciousCeeCeeVIPDined on 8/22/2014Basic steak house menu but in a beautiful upscale setting and always delicious. Soft shells were amazing, prime rib the best, love those potato skins and their house salad is yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb serviceEarlyDinerVIPDined on 8/22/2014The entire staff of this fine establishment is the best in the city. The host and hostess are friendly and efficient. The waitstaff goes above and beyond to provide their guests with a memorable experience. It's a joy to dine there.Special Features:
- A fine nightJLJRDined on 8/22/2014I have enjoyed many meals at The Prime Rib over the years and each time I leave I am looking forward to returning. From the initial cocktail and appetitizer to dessert everything was outstanding. I look forward to returning in the very near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CelebrationTammyDined on 8/22/2014A favorite place to celebrate birthdays which we do quite often at thePrime Rib. They honor my request for a specific table. The waiters are always cordial and most accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatChocolatteDined on 8/18/2014There nothing I can say but GREAT, everything about this restaurant was great the service, atmosphere, and food. Our waiter Theo was phenomenal. Five stars all the way.Special Features:
- Lost in the 60'sPhillyPhoodieVIPDined on 8/17/2014But, what a wonderful way to be lost. A great classic old-style sophisticated steak house. Excellent beef and raw-bar selections. Pleasant evening piano. Sunday night is BYOP night. Professional service. Great for an occasion. Or, just a good piece of prime rib.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and pretentiousmrsAPDined on 8/17/2014The food was very good but definitely overpriced. The ambiance is very pretentious and we weren't granted the same attention as many tables around us by virtue of being young.
- Civilized Diningros44VIPDined on 8/17/2014What a civilized dining experience. No need to shout or strain to hear conversation. The piano music in the background is a lovely touch added to the excellent service and delicious food made for a lovely evening out.Special Features:
- Outstanding as UsualRosieVIPDined on 8/17/2014Wonderful ambiance with pianist performing a medley of tunes on a recent Sunday night. Service continues to be outstanding with servers providing a refined touch to the whole dining experience. Prime rib perfectly prepared. All enjoyed the prix fixe menu which combined with the BYOB on Sundays is one of the best deals around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ed CallahanBigEdDined on 8/16/2014As always, the superb. The prime rib is the best in the country and I have had it all over. Great service too.Special Features:
- ChrisHeatherDined on 8/15/2014We had an excellent time celebrating my birthday! Great romantic spot, piano player, good food and excellent service! We will definately be back!!! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experiencealteredegoVIPDined on 8/15/2014Seated promptly, cocktails quickly followed. Excellent meat choices with fine appetizers and sides. Excellent service in comfortable surroundings. Great desserts. A fine, upscale steakhouse. We will return!
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Loved everything about this place. Reminds me of a 1930's place. Quiet with soft music in background. Great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful setting/average foodtootsieVIPDined on 8/10/2014We were very impressed as we entered Prime Rib. It is stunningly elegant and beautiful and there was a pianist playing lovely music. The food, however, was not impressive.Special Features: