The Prime Rib
1701 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Prime Rib
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theprimerib.com/
- Phone: 2157721701
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Eddy Castillo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Piano and Bass
A word from The Prime Rib
Gargantuan cuts of prime beef, extra thick chops, and simply prepared fresh seafood are the straightforward offerings of this steakhouse that evokes the supper clubs of Manhattan in the 1940's. Leopard print carpeting, black lacquered walls trimmed in brass and tuxedoed waiters complete the elegant atmosphere, featuring live piano and bass nightly. Dress code is business casual.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Prime Rib - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
The Prime Rib reviews from OpenTable diners
187 reviews since April 1 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (140)romantic (115)fit for foodies (53)notable wine list (51)neighborhood gem (38)good for groups (36)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (12)late-night find (6)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- best of the best !OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/27/2014Celebrating my birthday with family. The Prime Rib was beyond my expectations. Great service, location and, atmosphere. The full cut prime rib was huge and delicious. Live music and generous space between tables made my dinner experience delightful.The decor is elegant and not too dark to read the menu. Pricey and worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2014The bartender, Joseph (?), is always superb! The music and ambience is excellentSpecial Features:
- GREATniceVIPDined on 7/26/2014This is a great place to relax and hear each others conversation without being rushed. Best prime rib any where. Comfort food at its best. A civilized experience. If your looking for a loud music blairing, rushed experience than this is not for you. If your looking to dine then this is the place.Special Features:
- Anniversary NightKcrowell6Dined on 7/26/2014The Prime Rib was a fantastic place for my anniversary. The food was delicious, the service was impeccable, and the atmosphere was out of this world. If you are in Phili for a special occasion and want a great meal, I would recommend the Prime Rib highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always OutstandingJohnPDined on 7/25/2014Have never had a bad meal at The Prime Rib. The prime rib is the best you will ever taste, the lobster bisque and house salad is always amazing, and my wife loves the crab cakes. My wife and I have tried other high rated restaurants in the city and have spent $200 on dinners but we are always disappointed when comparing them to The Prime Rib. By far our favorite restaurant and our go-to place when looking for a nice dinner and night out.Special Features:
- disappointed this timeJimmDined on 7/23/2014i've been dining at the Prime Rib for years, mostly at the philadelphia location, i have always enjoyed great food , however this last visit was disappointing, i ordered the prime rib & lobster "summer special" , both were disappointing. although the oysters & dessert ( key lime pie ) were delicious, so i will return as this was first time this happened to me & as mentioned i've patronized the "Prime Rib" establishments many many times over the years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/23/2014The food here is always good. Love coming here when we want to celebrate something special, this is our first choice.Special Features:
- great ambiance and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014The steak is amazing the only place we go in Philly. The seafood is also good. I usually get the potato skins and house salad to start for my meal I love the filet Oscar with a side of mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts, dessert is either mud pie or creme brulee. I also love the wine list it is perfect, and you cannot pass on their coffee after a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2014EXCELLENT SERVICE.THE PRIME RIB AND LOBSTER WAS SUPERB.HIGHLY RECOMMEND FOR A GREAT NIGHT OUT
- top notchoutandaboutVIPDined on 7/19/2014We dined at the Prime Rib on Satukrday and found it to be outstanding as usual. It is just a class operation in every respect. Never had a bad meal there.Special Features:
- letteeVIPDined on 7/18/2014Great steaks in a romantic atmosphere with piano music
- Special PlaceTedSDined on 7/18/2014First time there. Upscale and classy, an excellent dining experience. Solid and strong mixed drinks, definitely not the typical diluted ones. No rush at all, courses were spread out perfectly. We also like the table separation, not being on too close to other tables and hearing their conversation. Expensive for sure but we knew that going in - the fixed price July special was worth the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently deliciousDiningout2nightVIPDined on 7/17/2014From the well made cocktails at the bar, to the fabulous beef dishes, the Prime Rib is consistently excellent. The dated decor and piano music create an atmosphere that is part of the charm. We always enjoy an evening there!Special Features:
- Excellent!BritTenVIPDined on 7/16/2014Having dined at the Prime Rib many times my last visit there was the best. This has been the best steakhouse in Philadelphia in my opinion for many years. The menu is classic with all of the usual suspects and the food has always been wonderful, fresh and served by a well trained staff.Special Features:
- Nice ChoiceAnniversary35Dined on 7/14/2014We had our 35th anniversary dinner here. Our server, Vinnie, was a gem. The live pianist was a nice guy and very talented. The food was good, not stellar. Bread was ordinary. Meal was presented nicely, steaks cooked perfectly. Lobster was spiny lobster, not Maine (I'm spoiled, I know). Desserts (creme brulee and key lime pie) very good. We're glad we went.Special Features:
- Classic steakhouseLaRagazzaGiallaVIPDined on 7/12/2014This was our second time dining at the Prime Rib. The service was very professional and attentive. Great drinks. We opted for the Summer Pre Fixe menu. It was okay. 3 of the 4 members opted for this. The oysters were huge and flavorful. The filet I had was cooked to order and tasted great. The lobster was just okay. I thought the house salad was overly dressed. All in all, still a good time, but I think we would have been better served ordering a la carte, in my opinion. Lesson learned. To be clear, we still had a great time with good food, I just think the pre fixe menu wasn't outstanding.Special Features:
- Excellent. Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014We enjoyed our entire night it was awesome food and service we excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Prime RibJLJRDined on 7/11/2014My wife and I enjoyed a fantastic dinner. The service was exceptional and the food was outstandingly delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer SizzlerJB22VIPDined on 7/5/2014Took advantage of the Summer Special with another couple, wow ... talk about a deal. Two for $100, your choice of your perfect Surf and Turf combination (Rib eye, Filet, or Prime Rib) with Crab Cake, Lobster or Grilled Shrimp - complete with Cesar salad, and KEY LIME pie for dessert. Add a thoughtful wine list, grown-up service from the talented wait team and you've got yourself a special summer dinner. As good as it ever was, glad we popped in over the Holiday weekend.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceMichaelDined on 7/3/2014We have never had a bad meal or service at the Prime Rib. Great food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2014We had the best time. The food was outstanding. Tjis is my husband's facorite place. We will be back. We went there to celebrate my 60th and my husband's 61st birthday. We both had a great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime Rib--You Can't Beat ItPaulVIPDined on 6/28/2014We went to the Prime Rib for a belated Father's Day celebration. The prime rib and pork chop were superb. The service was excellent, especially given the need to keep my 3 & 6 year old granddaughters happy, which they were. Although menu lists a service charge for sharing, my three granddaughters shared a prime rib and there was no sharing charge on our check. The extensive wine lists tends to be expensive, but our waiter pointed out an excellent and moderately priced red. If only my wife enjoyed prime rib as much as I doSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A ClassicFoodlover06Dined on 6/26/2014Put on your sheath dress, kitten heels, and pearls and take a trip back to 1962! Martinis, oysters, giant slabs of perfectly cooked meat, creamed spinach, mashed potatoes, charming and excellent service, and the piano player indulged our request for Moon River! Amazing. Next time we will be bringing our grandma (ex-PanAm stewardess who hung out with Sinatra) this will be her absolute dream restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a Steak like no otherPhiberOpticallyDined on 6/23/2014From the moment we entered the restaurant to the moment we left I felt like the staff was there to help with anything. The food was amazing, though based on the long standing history of stellar reviews I was expecting nothing less.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at PrimeLiv23Dined on 6/22/2014Once arriving to Prime Rib, we were greater by a polite hostess. After being seated we ordered right away. The service initially was slow but after the appetizers it picked up. Everything was delicious and our server David was kind as could be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeronnDined on 6/22/2014always have a great meal at the prime rib. I had the flintstone sized cut of prime rib which was cooked to perfection. my wife started with the steak tartar which she claims she could have eaten as a meal. They then brought out her steak which was the biggest rib steak we have ever seen. It was cooked perfectly and she is still nibbling on it 2 days later. One of the finest restaurants for an overall experience that we have been to. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- ginkelOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014Wonderful. Great evening, great wine and great foodSpecial Features:
- QuietUncleBillVIPDined on 6/21/2014This is a wonderful place to gather with friends who enjoy good conversation. You can actually hear what each other is saying. The menu lists many wonderful items and it is hard to make up one's mind. The food is very well prepared. It's for very special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef's specialJanetDined on 6/19/2014I thought the Chef's special for the evening filet/Oscar was over priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/18/2014Setting foot in this place is like going back in time to the 60's. The decor and menu is from that decade which would be great if they could pull it off. They had a pianist who was talented, however he played the happy birthday song every five minutes which took away from what was already turning out to be a mediocre dining experience. The food was okay at best and they charged for what would be expected of excellent food. I had the seafood platter which was an absolute joke. It was tasteless and served on a leaf of lettuce not to mention it was supposed to serve two and literally had: two oyster, two clams and two shrimp. Their steaks are decent, mine was very sinewy, but decent that aside. All in all I would not recommend this place.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/17/2014As expected, service was excellent and food was delicious. Lobster bisque was excellent. We also ordered appetizers to share (shrimp, oysters). Steaks were cooked to perfection, tender, juicy, and sweet. Family style veggies allowed us to share several veggies (beans, corn, broccoli). Lastly, I highly recommend the dark chocolate ice cream -- I order this every time because it is so good!Special Features:
- Fabulous Super ClubyuckDined on 6/16/2014The food is wonderful and perfectly cooked. The service is impeccable and centered on each diners wants or needs. The bar drinks are mixed expertly and the staff is wonderful.Special Features:
- Father's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/15/2014While my review from March was not stellar and we were hesitatant to go back, The Prime Rib redeemed itself this time. Even though it was Father's Day and crowded, the prime rib meals were all perfectly prepared this time, and our server was attentive.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014The soft shell crab was too greasy. The Chilean SeaBass was somewhat over cooked. The broccoli didn't seem very fresh and it was not seasoned, buttered or flavorful.
- Always a winner!SteakLoversDined on 6/15/2014Always a winner, never had a bad meal at The Prime Rib. The actual prime rib cut of meat is always on target with exceptional flavor and texture. It's huge, there's always meat leftover to take home for lunch the next day. The Crab Imperial is out of this world. Big chunks of crab in a very light, barely there sauce. The flavor of the crab really shines through. The wait staff is very knowledgeable and friendly.Special Features:
- JeffHDined on 6/14/2014Very great special occasion restaurant. The owner came over and said hello. Very specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing service from favoriteSargDined on 6/13/2014My favorite dinner spot in Philly. However, on this evening the service was uneven. We started at the bar. When the bartender pours your champagne and then you thank him, etiquette compels the response of, "You are welcome", "My pleasure" or otherwise. Not a thank you to one guest but not to another. We then proceeded to dinner. We were provided with the newest member of the waitstaff, I fear. While his service was acceptable and pleasant, it failed to match my prior dining experiences at The Prime Rib. I have been here many times, consistently promoted it as my favorite and recommended the restaurant to friends, colleagues and family. A significant component of the dinner experience is service and on this evening The Prime Rib failed.Special Features:
- Frank was very attentiveSpecialEvening4fourDined on 6/12/2014Excellent staff, wonderful food, small prime rib is huge... don't be afraid to ask that you share. Everything is ala carte so trying several sides and sharing is fine too. Was told that the cocktails were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/11/2014The Prime Rib Is excellent. The food was awesome; service was fantastic and atmosphere was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with Colleguessmiley3306VIPDined on 6/11/2014From start to finish everything was superb, from the hostess to our wait staff. They were attentive and friendly. The food was excellent! We all had a great time. Thank you, HildaSpecial Features: