The Prime Rib
1701 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Prime Rib
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theprimerib.com/
- Phone: 2157721701
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Eddy Castillo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Piano and Bass
A word from The Prime Rib
Gargantuan cuts of prime beef, extra thick chops, and simply prepared fresh seafood are the straightforward offerings of this steakhouse that evokes the supper clubs of Manhattan in the 1940's. Leopard print carpeting, black lacquered walls trimmed in brass and tuxedoed waiters complete the elegant atmosphere, featuring live piano and bass nightly. Dress code is business casual.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Prime Rib - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
The Prime Rib reviews from OpenTable diners
191 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (142)romantic (121)fit for foodies (60)notable wine list (55)neighborhood gem (39)good for groups (35)vibrant bar scene (18)hot spot (12)late-night find (8)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Lost in the 60'sPhillyPhoodieVIPDined on 8/17/2014But, what a wonderful way to be lost. A great classic old-style sophisticated steak house. Excellent beef and raw-bar selections. Pleasant evening piano. Sunday night is BYOP night. Professional service. Great for an occasion. Or, just a good piece of prime rib.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and pretentiousmrsAPDined on 8/17/2014The food was very good but definitely overpriced. The ambiance is very pretentious and we weren't granted the same attention as many tables around us by virtue of being young.
- Civilized Diningros44VIPDined on 8/17/2014What a civilized dining experience. No need to shout or strain to hear conversation. The piano music in the background is a lovely touch added to the excellent service and delicious food made for a lovely evening out.Special Features:
- Outstanding as UsualRosieVIPDined on 8/17/2014Wonderful ambiance with pianist performing a medley of tunes on a recent Sunday night. Service continues to be outstanding with servers providing a refined touch to the whole dining experience. Prime rib perfectly prepared. All enjoyed the prix fixe menu which combined with the BYOB on Sundays is one of the best deals around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ed CallahanBigEdDined on 8/16/2014As always, the superb. The prime rib is the best in the country and I have had it all over. Great service too.Special Features:
- ChrisHeatherDined on 8/15/2014We had an excellent time celebrating my birthday! Great romantic spot, piano player, good food and excellent service! We will definately be back!!! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experiencealteredegoVIPDined on 8/15/2014Seated promptly, cocktails quickly followed. Excellent meat choices with fine appetizers and sides. Excellent service in comfortable surroundings. Great desserts. A fine, upscale steakhouse. We will return!
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Loved everything about this place. Reminds me of a 1930's place. Quiet with soft music in background. Great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful setting/average foodtootsieDined on 8/10/2014We were very impressed as we entered Prime Rib. It is stunningly elegant and beautiful and there was a pianist playing lovely music. The food, however, was not impressive.Special Features:
- simply the bestronnDined on 8/10/2014as always we thoroughly enjoyed our visit. I always get the double cut of prime rib which was awesome. My wife had the rib steak which was as big as my prime rib and grilled to perfection. As good as the food always is the service was just as outstanding. Lynn and Humberto made our night behind the bar and Kellen is a top notch server who adds a touch of class to a special evening. Don't miss this place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Fabulous meal!!! Largest rib steak I ever saw. I couldn't finish. Soft shell crabs spectacular. We will come back whenever in Phila.Special Features:
- For someone specialchuckwagonDined on 8/9/2014The Prime Rib is "special." From the elegant entrees to the superb service, The Prime Rib makes any special occasion one you will not forget. Our house salads, light, crisp, and not too filling, gently set the stage for my bride's excellent Dover sole and my signature rib. The variety of side dishes made the choices difficult, but not disappointing. The grilled asparagus with hollandaise and the baked just right potato complimented the meal without being too stuffing. The Irish coffee brought back memories of Ireland and the shared hot fudge sundae finished a special 25th anniversary dinner. All of this was made "special" by a service staff that was wonderfully invisible and superbly attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- petetubaDined on 8/9/2014Except for a little initial glitch in getting a waiter, the experience including service, food and ambience was outstanding. I really appreciated the August prime rib $25 special. It was the first time that I ordered it, and it was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They delivered on food and serviceHSMITHDined on 8/7/2014We enjoyed our meal. Staff were welcoming and service was great. The atmosphere is very nice and they had a piano player there. I thought the wine list had a very nice variety not only of types but prices and there were great choices. We had a steak which was delicious and the Dover sole special which was terrific. The creamed spinach was very good. The mud pie for dessert was excellent and the coffee was very good, too. We enjoyed it and would go back for a very solid steakhouse experience. They are also in a great location.
- Elegant Diningmdmd409VIPDined on 8/4/2014The décor is elegant and the food outstanding. The service is always impeccable. As a server once said when asked what is particularly good- we are named the Prime Rib. Their restaurant is a great people watcher place and a fun place to just sit and talk over a great meal. The reduced dress code has not hurt it one bit. Nice for special occasions and to just get out for something upscale.Special Features:
- My Top Three in PhiladelphialmthDined on 8/3/2014We always enjoy our dining experience at The Prime Rib. The wait staff is professional, knowledgable and works to ensure that our dining needs are met. We thoroughly enjoy the "piano man" too! Definitely upscale without being stuffy. The prime rib is the best in the area!Special Features:
- Great setting, beef OKTonyBiancoDined on 8/2/2014It was a great setting to catch up with an old friend: quiet, good service, and excellent environment. I was less impressed by the meal itself. The steak was not up to my standards (though I must say I have a very high standards when it comes to steaks). The meat was not particularly tasty an it seems to have been cooked and heated up at the last minute. I have enjoyed better steaks. A couple of days later I had dinner in a Brazilian "churrascaria" in Philadelphia, and the quality and taste of the beef was far superior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noneDined on 8/2/2014The food was delicious, service was good, and over all experience was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zagat Ratings not TrustworthyrealitycheckDined on 8/2/2014First time at this restaurant and I wasnt at all impressed. Neither was my guest. Although the service was excellent the food was so-so. I have been to almost all of the high end steak restaurants in Phila. as well as other cities and this doesnt rate. The menu is also pretty weak, how is it that the only Filet Mignion is 8oz. Zagat ratings have turned into a name and money maker for Zagat. They want you to subscribe to their service. Sorry. Wont be trusting Zagat and wont be at The Prime Rib.
- eac720Dined on 7/31/2014The greeter was friendly and we were seated at a great table. The food ,as usual, was excellent and our waiter was attentive but not overbearing. Great experience.Special Features:
- NataliaNataliaVIPDined on 7/31/2014The Prime Rib has become my favorite restaurant for dinner in Philadelphia. Their menus with special pricing are excellent. The food is delicious and the service impeccable. The wait persons are unobtrusive but get the job done. I am always amazed at how beautiful the dining room is and the piano player softly and melodically. The ambiance is soothing and again, the food magnificent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best of the best !OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/27/2014Celebrating my birthday with family. The Prime Rib was beyond my expectations. Great service, location and, atmosphere. The full cut prime rib was huge and delicious. Live music and generous space between tables made my dinner experience delightful.The decor is elegant and not too dark to read the menu. Pricey and worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2014The bartender, Joseph (?), is always superb! The music and ambience is excellentSpecial Features:
- GREATniceVIPDined on 7/26/2014This is a great place to relax and hear each others conversation without being rushed. Best prime rib any where. Comfort food at its best. A civilized experience. If your looking for a loud music blairing, rushed experience than this is not for you. If your looking to dine then this is the place.Special Features:
- Anniversary NightKcrowell6Dined on 7/26/2014The Prime Rib was a fantastic place for my anniversary. The food was delicious, the service was impeccable, and the atmosphere was out of this world. If you are in Phili for a special occasion and want a great meal, I would recommend the Prime Rib highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always OutstandingJohnPDined on 7/25/2014Have never had a bad meal at The Prime Rib. The prime rib is the best you will ever taste, the lobster bisque and house salad is always amazing, and my wife loves the crab cakes. My wife and I have tried other high rated restaurants in the city and have spent $200 on dinners but we are always disappointed when comparing them to The Prime Rib. By far our favorite restaurant and our go-to place when looking for a nice dinner and night out.Special Features:
- FINE DINING EXPERIENCEgoodfood1Dined on 7/25/2014EXCELLENT FOOD AND SERVICE, VERY NICE ROOM. DUO PLAYING THE RIGHT KIND OF MUSIC. A LITTLE PRICEY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed this timeJimmDined on 7/23/2014i've been dining at the Prime Rib for years, mostly at the philadelphia location, i have always enjoyed great food , however this last visit was disappointing, i ordered the prime rib & lobster "summer special" , both were disappointing. although the oysters & dessert ( key lime pie ) were delicious, so i will return as this was first time this happened to me & as mentioned i've patronized the "Prime Rib" establishments many many times over the years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/23/2014The food here is always good. Love coming here when we want to celebrate something special, this is our first choice.Special Features:
- great ambiance and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014The steak is amazing the only place we go in Philly. The seafood is also good. I usually get the potato skins and house salad to start for my meal I love the filet Oscar with a side of mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts, dessert is either mud pie or creme brulee. I also love the wine list it is perfect, and you cannot pass on their coffee after a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2014EXCELLENT SERVICE.THE PRIME RIB AND LOBSTER WAS SUPERB.HIGHLY RECOMMEND FOR A GREAT NIGHT OUT
- top notchoutandaboutVIPDined on 7/19/2014We dined at the Prime Rib on Satukrday and found it to be outstanding as usual. It is just a class operation in every respect. Never had a bad meal there.Special Features:
- letteeVIPDined on 7/18/2014Great steaks in a romantic atmosphere with piano music
- Special PlaceTedSDined on 7/18/2014First time there. Upscale and classy, an excellent dining experience. Solid and strong mixed drinks, definitely not the typical diluted ones. No rush at all, courses were spread out perfectly. We also like the table separation, not being on too close to other tables and hearing their conversation. Expensive for sure but we knew that going in - the fixed price July special was worth the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently deliciousDiningout2nightVIPDined on 7/17/2014From the well made cocktails at the bar, to the fabulous beef dishes, the Prime Rib is consistently excellent. The dated decor and piano music create an atmosphere that is part of the charm. We always enjoy an evening there!Special Features:
- Excellent!BritTenVIPDined on 7/16/2014Having dined at the Prime Rib many times my last visit there was the best. This has been the best steakhouse in Philadelphia in my opinion for many years. The menu is classic with all of the usual suspects and the food has always been wonderful, fresh and served by a well trained staff.Special Features:
- Nice ChoiceAnniversary35Dined on 7/14/2014We had our 35th anniversary dinner here. Our server, Vinnie, was a gem. The live pianist was a nice guy and very talented. The food was good, not stellar. Bread was ordinary. Meal was presented nicely, steaks cooked perfectly. Lobster was spiny lobster, not Maine (I'm spoiled, I know). Desserts (creme brulee and key lime pie) very good. We're glad we went.Special Features:
- Classic steakhouseLaRagazzaGiallaVIPDined on 7/12/2014This was our second time dining at the Prime Rib. The service was very professional and attentive. Great drinks. We opted for the Summer Pre Fixe menu. It was okay. 3 of the 4 members opted for this. The oysters were huge and flavorful. The filet I had was cooked to order and tasted great. The lobster was just okay. I thought the house salad was overly dressed. All in all, still a good time, but I think we would have been better served ordering a la carte, in my opinion. Lesson learned. To be clear, we still had a great time with good food, I just think the pre fixe menu wasn't outstanding.Special Features:
- Excellent. Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014We enjoyed our entire night it was awesome food and service we excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Prime RibJLJRDined on 7/11/2014My wife and I enjoyed a fantastic dinner. The service was exceptional and the food was outstandingly delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.