The Prime Rib
1701 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Prime Rib
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theprimerib.com/
- Phone: (215) 772-1701
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Eddy Castillo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Piano and Bass
A word from The Prime Rib
Gargantuan cuts of prime beef, extra thick chops, and simply prepared fresh seafood are the straightforward offerings of this steakhouse that evokes the supper clubs of Manhattan in the 1940's. Leopard print carpeting, black lacquered walls trimmed in brass and tuxedoed waiters complete the elegant atmosphere, featuring live piano and bass nightly. Dress code is business casual.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
The Prime Rib - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
The Prime Rib reviews from OpenTable diners
270 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (210)romantic (175)fit for foodies (89)good for groups (75)notable wine list (73)neighborhood gem (48)vibrant bar scene (23)hot spot (20)late-night find (13)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- ExcellentNomnomnomDined on 11/22/2014I went to The Prime Rib with my family and it was one of the best restaurants we've ever been to. I had the filet and it was cooked perfectly to my liking, as sides I had mashed potatoes and broccoli, simple but very good. Also had the lobster bisque which was thick and creamy with large chunks of lobster meat at the bottom of the dish. For dessert you have to get the Mudd Pie-it's amazing!!! Our server was great, always made sure we had everything we needed. Overall outstanding restaurant and will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We go twice a year!KMacDined on 11/22/2014Great food. The prices have gone way up but you won't find better Blue point's anywhere. Service was good. Miss the valet parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysLeslieVIPDined on 11/21/2014This restaurant is beautifully decorated with flowers, lovely paintings and during dinner they had live piano player. The food was delicious and the waiter was very attentive. It was a very relaxing place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hands down best prime rib in the city.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/21/2014Food is fantastic. Wine list is great. The bar has top shelf service. Friday night live music thought I was listening to Tony Bennett. Super place you wont be disappointed..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The classiest steak placeJoelSVIPDined on 11/21/2014From the moment you enter you can feel this is upscale. Low lighting, piano player, tables with separation from other diners and a noise level that allows conversation without straining. I top of that the food and service are excellent and the pricing is on par or less than any other steakhouse. If you like prime rib, you can it here as well as a great selection of other entrees not found at some other placesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/20/2014The food was good but it's not worth the cost. I like Ruth Chris better.Special Features:
- Great steaksOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2014We celebrated our 1 year anniversary here and the food was excellent t and service was great. The steaks were cooked perfectly and the potato skins were delicious. We also had the creamed spinach which was excellent with the steaks. We finished with the mudd pied...an excellent dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014Superb food. A meat eaters delight at this classic steak house, yet even vegetarians, such as my wife enjoy meals at the Prime Rib. Best feature is perhaps the service which is dignified and attentive, yet unpretentious and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE BEST!!!!JOJODined on 11/12/2014THE PRIME RIB IS WHAT DINING IS ALL ABOUT! FABULOUS FOOD, AMBIANCE AND SERVICE!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealRangerfanDined on 11/10/2014The roasted tomato soup was fantastic and the prime rib was perfect. Parking is tough but there is a lot one block south and you can cut through the alley to the restaurant. Great neighborhood. Piano player is the perfect touch for a sophisticated restaurant like this.Special Features:
- Great experience!!!hpp2Dined on 11/9/2014Great food. Great service. What more could you ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Prime Ribfine2dineDined on 11/8/2014This has been and continues to be one of our favorite places for upscale dinning. The food is always very good as is the ambiance. The background music and low noise level creates a very nice atmosphere. Good for both business or social occasions. I do believe that $62 0r $67 is a bit steep for Dover soul. The veal chop, salmon and tuna were excellent.Special Features:
- CHUCKIEVIPDined on 11/8/2014LOVE IT, PERFECT ROMANTIC GREAT MUSIC GOOD DINING ATTENTIVE SERVICE OUR FAVORITE PHILLY RESTAURANTSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing restaurantUSMC111076Dined on 11/8/2014Best service in Philadelphia in my 19 years of living there. Much appreciation to the gentleman that paid for my dinner because I was in my uniform. Great place for romantic nights! Great way to begin my engagment night!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Good As the Baltimore OriginalMikeDined on 11/7/2014I'm a Baltimore native and have always turned to The Prime Rib when the evening demands an extra-special dining experience. Here in Philly for the weekend, where else do I choose for dinner with my wife, our son and his girlfriend? Of course; and, we were not disappointed. Great food, great service, first-class all the way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingelzeeDined on 11/1/2014Lovely, old fashioned dining room, housing just another steak place. Same menu of food that can be eaten in any one of a dozen places around town.Special Features:
- Best steakhouse in PhillyJordanDined on 10/30/2014Prime Rib is by far the best steakhouse in Philadelphia. It's not even close. Best food, best wine list, best service, best ambiance. Perfect for a romantic date, or to celebrate a special occasion. The piano on Wednesday and Thursday nights is special. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - better experience.WooWooDined on 10/30/2014I travel to Philly frequently for the past 4 years - this was my best experience ever. Food was top notch (Prime Rib was perfect), waiter was attentive, knowledgeable and had personality. Live piano music during dinner put it over the top.Special Features:
- Could Be BetterDebbVIPDined on 10/29/2014The major flaw was our wait person did not listen two of us ordered a sparkling rose and the waiter brought plain rose denying what he said. A salad ordered without egg also arrived without the cheese. Our waiter said the salad did not come with cheese Wrong again The wines by the bottle were too expensiveSpecial Features:
- BanalSteveDined on 10/28/2014Overall, a disappointing experience. Good beef but nothing exceptional. Limited menu with uninspired accompaniments. Our meal started with stale rolls that should not have been served. My lobster bisque was more like a can of Campbells cream of chicken soup. Waiters seemed uninterested and were merely going through the motions. Atmosphere is dreary steak house that went out decades ago. Expensive but not a good value. Nor was it any fun.
- Always hits a high noteBunnyLadyVIPDined on 10/25/2014There is no better prime rib, the veggie plate is excellent and a great value. My husband and I order both and share with lots of leftovers. Great soup and salads and the key lime pie and mud pie are wonderful. I ALWAYS WANT TO DRESS WELL HERE. While the formality has eased up on attire, many men are in jacket and tie. The restaurant and staff deserve that respect. Did I mention a killer Long Island Ice tea? Jazz is always on, now at 10 on Sat till close, great for a night cap or snack.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BigmooseDined on 10/23/2014Just super all the way around. Best steak in a very long timeSpecial Features:
- PerfectluvtoeatDined on 10/22/2014The food, service and ambiance are always Perfect. We use this restaurant for dinner out , and special occasions.Special Features:
- steakloverDined on 10/21/2014A very good steak house. The service staff was highly attentive but not intrusive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always What You Expecttata48Dined on 10/17/2014From setting to service to the excellence of food. You are never disappointed. Specials like this night's Dover Sole was memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little DisappointedFauxBlondeDined on 10/12/2014The restaurant is lovely. The service was great. The food...not so good. The prime rib was nothing special and the beans we ordered were overcooked and mushy. I expected a lot more from this restaurant with regards to the food.Special Features:
- First Date PlaceTallFoodieDined on 10/11/2014The food was quite good and I would say it is a great "date night" restaurant.Special Features:
- great prime rib and steaklikasteakDined on 10/11/2014Prime rib and steaks were outstanding and cooked to perfection. I must admit that I was tempted to order the special fish offered, fresh Dover Sole, which is a personal favorite.Special Features:
- Prime Rib was primo.n2dsouthVIPDined on 10/11/2014I would highly recommend the Prime Rib to anyone looking for a posh, classy place to go for a wonderful and excellent dining experience. The Prime Rib reminded me of night clubs from years ago, with live music. It was refreshing to go to an establishment where service is the top priority and people come dressed appropriately for a night out on the town. I hope to dine at the Washington, DC location in the near future.Special Features:
- Good and not so goodbbebVIPDined on 10/11/2014We were hoping for a special dinner to celebrate a special birthday which was only acknowledged with a gratis dessert. We were seated promptly and then waited quite some time and after others arriving after us, if we were interested in drinks. Wine and martini fairly priced for the venue. We perused the menu and had to ask for bread which while good, consisted of one roll and a small loaf. Our shared escargot appetizer came with no plates, so we used our bread and butter plates. The lamb chops were tasty, but poorly presented. The crab cake had a lemon and cocktail sauce on the plate which provided some detail. The side vegetables were lukewarm and over priced. We selected the Prime Rib because of its reputation, but now wonder why.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014Absolutely fabulous!!! Great food! Went here for my husband birthday! Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big City afficiofoodie1Dined on 10/11/2014Prime Rib was a top steak/seafood dining experience-on par with top places in NY! Wife ordered seafood(sole/colossal shrimp)-I ordered a perfectly done dry aged strip. Evening went without a hitch, including a complimentary dessert for our anniversary. Piano player was a great addition. Place is pricey but that's what you pay for great food these days!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2014We recently went for a birthday dinner~ the service was wonderful, the restaurant very pretty, the piano player was nice...I just felt that for the price the food was just so-so.
- Always OutstandingBellagirlDined on 10/5/2014The Prime Rib is always, without a doubt, outstanding from beginning to end. We recently went for my birthday and I would say hands down best service we have ever received & Patrick was so friendly. It was my birthday & I really wanted surf & turf (not on the menu) and Patrick said that's not a problem! We can make it happen. Really? You never hear that anymore. I honestly can't say enough about Patrick & The Prime Rib. Love it there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very upscaleTwins2mommyVIPDined on 10/5/2014We enjoyed the food! The steaks were delicious! They had a pianist playing which was wonderful. This is a place for older people though. We were the youngest people there. It's dated and looks like your in the 50s. Waiter was kinda snobbish. But the food was amazing.Special Features:
- Our favorite place to eat in PHL!KewlKellyDined on 10/4/2014Awesome service, delicious food, and sophisticated surroundings! Able to hear each other speak w/o straining while having a the murmur of other diners in the background! It is the whole package of fine dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Prime Rib is a classicOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014We have been to the Prime Rib several times. Each time, I have been impressed with the food and the service. The restaurant elevates the dining experience, too, as the jazz is wonderful and just the right addition to a wonderful climate for eating classic food. We loved it!Special Features:
- Outstanding!msu1985Dined on 10/3/2014The food, service and atmosphere were outstanding. This was by far the best prime rib I've ever had!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the best in Philly in all respectsJimandJoDined on 9/30/2014From the moment you enter you know it is going to be great. Just to sit and have cocktail then head off to your table for the best meal you will ever have. The service is great and when you need any questions answered it is done without fuss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dine there frequentlyMishDined on 9/30/2014as always it is a "silk amongst wools!" my only issue was that the waiter, kep filling our wine glasses to almost 3/4 full, instead of allowing it to breath, and not "gulped" like grape juice. actually had to tell him to stop! also asked him to de-cant the wine, never showed up with de-canter.Special Features: