The Prime Rib - Baltimore (The Original)
1101 North Calvert Street
Baltimore, MD 21202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Prime Rib - Baltimore (The Original)
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theprimerib.com/
- Phone: 4105391804x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: James Minarik
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Prime Rib offers prix fixe menus for parties of 10 or more, $75+ per person. Private and semi-private dining is available for 20 - 90 guests for your private, corporate or social event. We will also be happy to design a custom menu for your special event.
- Private Party Contact: Brad Black 4105391804x
- Entertainment: Baby Grand Piano every night, with Bass and Saxophone on Fridays. Piano and Bass On Saturdays.
- Special Events: We offer a "Special 1/2 Price Wine List" every Sunday! Always in good taste, The Prime Rib GIFT CARD. Order your gift card at 410.539.1804 or online @ www.theprimerib.com.
- Cross Street: East Chase Street
- Public Transit: MTA 64 and 61
Light Rail - Cultural Center Stop
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary valet after 5:00pm. The Prime Rib is located in the Horizon House building at 1101 N. Calvert St., at the corner of Calvert and Chase St. The entrance to the restaurant is on the Chase St. side of the building.
A word from The Prime Rib - Baltimore (The Original)
The Prime Rib is an American steakhouse reminiscent of a 1940's Supper Club. Live music every night! Complimentary valet parking.Continued
Special Events: Always in good taste, The Prime Rib gift card is available in any denomination. Order online at www.theprimerib.com
Special Events: Always in good taste, The Prime Rib gift card is available in any denomination. Order online at www.theprimerib.com
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Prime Rib - Baltimore (The Original) - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Prime Rib - Baltimore (The Original) reviews from OpenTable diners
263 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (221)romantic (178)fit for foodies (89)notable wine list (88)neighborhood gem (40)vibrant bar scene (30)good for groups (23)hot spot (22)late-night find (14)great for lunch (4)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Almost PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014We were a party of seven and had an almost perfect dining experience EXCEPT that three of us ordered swordfish ( a special for the evening no less) and two of us sent it back (and the third should have as well) because it was fishy. The two returned meals were promptly replaced with delicious crab cakes. The other entrees and sides and all of the appetizers and desserts were spot on. The waiter was terrific.Special Features:
- huh?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014I have never been there, so my review is made up. The beer was flat, the burgers tasted like pork, and the waitress was a left over from The Night of the Living Dead Part II. The ambiance was equivalent to the bottom of a swimming pool.
- Amazing ExperienceCM25Dined on 10/24/2014Our waiter was Chuck, hands down the best server we have ever had. Very nice and down to earth. I took my best friend and her new husband out to celebrate their marriage. We were new to the high end dining experience. Chuck really helped us and made the experience great. We never want to eat anywhere else now. The filet minion was the best I've ever tasted. Worth every penny spent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Prime RibOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Service was amazing! Food is a little pricey. I had the sirloin, but didn't like it very much. My date's meal was fantastic though! The interior is classy and dimly lit, just the way I like it!Special Features:
- Overratedmichael4nyDined on 10/18/2014The Prime Rib has an excellent and deserved reputation for serving high quality Steaks, Roast beef and other similar dishes. The only problem is that it lives off of its reputation and significantly overcharges for rather unimaginative dishes. A strip steak for example costs $53 and the ingredients probably cost the restaurant in the range of $12-15 if that. No sides that come with it. You'll pay $8-12 for those. Then there are the appetizers. Take clams casino for instance. You get 6 of them for $18. They're incredibly small and they were overcooked and dried out. I could make the same dish at home and pay roughly $3.50 for the ingredients. The restaurant of course pays less than I do. Lobster Bisque", gelatinous and very mediocre.Special Features:
- A classicMaryVIPDined on 10/17/2014Loved the dinner and ambience. It did detract that a young couple with obviously too much money, spent the whole dinner on their smart phones. I recommend banning them in the dining room unless a person is dining alone. Use in the bar would be fine! The dinner was excellent and the service superb.Special Features:
- Superb !OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/16/2014The restaurant, the food and the service were superb and definitely memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime Rib BaltimoreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Excellent restaurant. Both the beef and seafood entries were terrific. Portions are substantial - you won't leave hungry. A bit pricy but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the very best!OldBaltimoreDivaVIPDined on 10/11/2014I have reviewed The Prime Rib (The Original) on many occasions, and can only repeat again and again that it is "The Place to Go" for fabulous dining. Thank you, The Prime Rib, for serving only the most excellent and for making it possible to consistently enjoy a lovely dining experience.Special Features:
- fabulous prime ribsweetbabycDined on 10/10/2014If you come to Baltimore you think of seafood but I would recommend going to the Prime Rib. Great food, great service, and special attention to detail. My husband and I split a full cut of prime rib (which you can do but its not stated) which is a full meal in itself. The prime rib was fabulous and so was the service. If you want to have a great dining experience I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!PsychGirlDined on 10/10/2014My husband dined here prior to attending a show at the Lyric Center for the Arts. We had only a short time for dinner and our server Nathan, made sure that we had an incredible dining experience in the limited time we had. Nathan's attention to detail was fabulous. Our dinners were delicious. My husband had the prime rib and it was cooked and seasoned to near perfection. I had the filet with a lump crab cake. Mouth watering is the only way to describe both of our dishes. The next time we are in Baltimore for an event we will be certain to return for dinner.Special Features:
- A Baltimore GemTracysDined on 10/9/2014Always a great experience, fabulous food & wonderful staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Restaurant was excellent, food was great and the customer service was excellent. Would definitely recommend to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No better place for fine diningEGMkDined on 10/3/2014Outstanding attention to detail is a hallmark of this restaurant. Anyone coming here is in for a treat and can experience fine dining as it is meant to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 24th anniversary celebratioclassactDined on 9/30/2014I have always dined at the Prime Rib when I wanted to observe something special. This was my 24th wedding anniversary. and as always the food, service, and atmosphere was 'five star'. I have previously brought friends on special occasions as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best!ChallengecarVIPDined on 9/27/2014Great as always - one of the most consistent restaurants in the Baltimore-DC Area!! Food & service tops. Not inexpensive, but worth every $$$!!Special Features:
- WINNNERDined on 9/24/2014It was my Fiance's birthday. We have a 1 1/2 year old and the whole staff was very understanding, cooperative, and it was just a wonderful experience. Our servier was wonderful gave great suggestions and was so friendly to my daughter. WIN, WIN!Special Features:
- A Baltimore TreasureamydppDined on 9/20/2014A great restaurant that is a Baltimore institution and with great reason. It is the prefect space with sumptuous food and impeccable service.Special Features:
- Always a great timedhopeDined on 9/20/2014We go every year for a family celebration and it never disappoints!Special Features:
- Great meal...againOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/20/2014Had another great meal. Have always had world class service but this night out server was not great. We took our time ordering but it took like 15+ minutes just for them to open the champagne we already had waiting at the table (I ordered it in advance). I'm guessing it took close to an hour to get our dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014I didn't feel that the quality of the food was justified by the price. In fact, it's as if the same person has been cooking in that restaurant for 75+ years. For example, I ordered steamed spinach....and it was ONLY that. No lemon, no salt, no garlic. Nothing. The majority of the food was quite bland and uneventful. I did enjoy the crab cakes, which had very little breading and ALL crab, but I suspect that is simply due to the restaurants location.Special Features:
- ConsistentFoodieJimDined on 9/19/2014The Prime Rib possesses a rare commodity these days - superb consistency. TPR is the same year after year: outstanding food, excellent service, great jazz, romantic and sophisticated atmosphere - a little bit of Manhattan in downtown Baltimore. It is a throwback to a more civil and elegant time. I am sorry to see the requirement that men wear a suit jacket or blazer after 5pm is no longer enforced. Men sitting around in T-shirts detracts from the overall ambiance.Special Features:
- Still The BestParticularVIPDined on 9/18/2014No matter how many times when I return to Baltimore and I want a fine dining experience that I renew my acquaintance with the rime Iib, I am never disappointed. Rarely is the word "superlative" appropriate for a dining establishment that is close to its fiftieth anniversary but it is in the case of the Prime Rib. Thankfully, very little has changed in the first fifty years, and I am pleased to have dined there when it opened and throughout its history.Special Features:
- Great Meeting SpotBakerFoodieVIPDined on 9/18/2014There was a mix of couples and Business people this was a pick by a client and a great one for entertaining clients. Definitely one for future trips to the area, All food was well prepared and plated appetizer to entree. The service staff was attentive and polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The prime ribIlovefoodDined on 9/17/2014When we first walked in I felt very judged, but I'm used to looks so I ignored it. It was our first time there and the waiter did not seem to care either way. I just felt uncomfortable most of the night. The food was excellent and prices were not bad. I had more of a pleasurable experience at Ruth Chris and Fogo De Choa. I ordered the cheesecake for dessert and asked if they can do something special since it was our anniversary and it ended up being complimentary which was nice. My only suggestion would be to be a bit more welcoming. I will recommend this place .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My time at the Prime Rib BaltimoreDmacDined on 9/13/2014It was my first time dining at the Prime Rib (Baltimore) for My girlfriend and I's one year anniversary. When we arrived we received free valet parking and once inside were greeted very quickly. The restaurant is nice inside and there were some musicians playing some nice music. Our food was delicious and our waiter was very attentive. My only complaint is maybe the seating could be a little more spaced out, We were sat in the middle of the floor and waiters kept having to squeeze through in very tight spaces, so my gf and I were gettin buttcheeks on our shoulders every couple of minutes. Other than that I had a great time!Special Features:
- A Bit DisappointingBillVIPDined on 9/12/2014I have dined here many times in the past and always came away pleased. This time was different. The waiter seemed preoccupied and didn't really pay attention. I ordered an old fashioned straight up and got it on the rocks. When my wife was speaking to him he turned and walked away in mid sentence. We ordered the filet and lobster tail. The filets were cooked to order but the lobster tails looked as if they were from a crayfish. Desserts and coffee were up to their usual good standards, but for what you pay here, the service should be better.Special Features:
- Mt. Vernon great eaterytravelandeatVIPDined on 9/12/2014A wonderful Mt. Vernon find .The prime rib was cooked perfectly and the addition of freshly grated horseradish was pleasant. We have been in the area for 5 weeks, and so far this is our favorite spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the bestMSFAVIPDined on 9/11/2014Five people, five great meals. Our server, Nathan was outstanding.Special Features:
- Best "Fine Dining" in BaltimoreTylerDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I celebrated out 7-year anniversary this past Saturday night (our 3rd visit to the restaurant). When you first walk in, the host is extremely welcoming, and the staff at the bar is more than ready to start you off with a delicious cocktail. Although my wife and I have our "go-to" selections, Chuck, our waiter did recommend the Shrimp Cocktail appetizer (awesome), and the creamed corn side (outstanding). She had the small Prime Rib, and I had the Crab Cakes. My wife swears the PR is the best she has ever had and the crab cakes are the best I have ever had (raised on the Eastern Shore of MD). The ambiance of the dining area, the oustanding professionalism of the waitstaff, IMHO, makes PR the best "Fine Dining" spot in B-more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014As always, wonderful service and food. A great place to go for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Always very nicePattDined on 9/5/2014Amazingly not super busy. Server Zack, professional and attentive. Food very good as usual. Still do not like the closeness of some of the tables. Diners next to us with very little "squeeze in" room for seating. Had to protect my food as they became seated. Not cheap but worth it. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014the atmosphere, food and wait staff were perfect. we had a very relaxing meal and the musical group added a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Everything.JasonrebeccadateDined on 9/4/2014The best NY Strip that I have every had. I have been to every steak house in the greater Baltimore area. My lady friend and I sat at a cozy secluded table with the most comfortable chairs that I have sat in. The service was impecable. Our waiter, Nathan was on top of everything. Pricey , but you definetly left feeling pampered. The piano player was a perfect touch as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful :)PerfectDined on 9/3/2014Perfect birthday dinner - cocktails are amazing, service outstanding, jazz pianist, great food .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PHENOMENAL!!!luvsushi2Dined on 8/31/2014This was our first visit to Prime Rib and we were very excited to be dining as we had never reserved far enough in advance several times before to be able to visit. We frequent a few steak houses on a pretty normal basis, but we have to admit that these were the best steaks we have ever had at any restaurant!!! We had the Filet AuPoivre and the dry aged Strip. Perfection without a doubt!! The signature potato skins were delicious as well as the rest of our meal and the desserts!! Our server Warren was awesome as well as the entire staff at PR. The added touch of the live piano music was the icing on the cake! We will definitely be going back again and again.Special Features:
- Delicious mealParmaFoodiesDined on 8/30/2014Everything was excellent! Great service, great atmosphere!Special Features:
- Prime RibTIRiderDined on 8/30/2014The Prime Rib provided an outstanding evening of dining. The food was excellent and the service wonderful.Special Features:
- RonaldDined on 8/29/2014This restaurant never disappoints! The oysters were fabulous and the entrees superb as usual! Service continues in the fine PR tradition.Special Features:
- DELIGHTFULginnaDined on 8/28/2014John the Bar Manger is outstanding, no matter how long between visits, he always remembers what you order and is cheerful and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.