The Prime Rib - Baltimore (The Original)
1101 North Calvert Street
Baltimore, MD 21202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Prime Rib - Baltimore (The Original)
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theprimerib.com/
- Phone: 4105391804x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: James Minarik
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Prime Rib offers prix fixe menus for parties of 10 or more, $75+ per person. Private and semi-private dining is available for 20 - 90 guests for your private, corporate or social event. We will also be happy to design a custom menu for your special event.
- Private Party Contact: Brad Black 4105391804x
- Entertainment: Baby Grand Piano every night, with Bass and Saxophone on Fridays. Piano and Bass On Saturdays.
- Special Events: We offer a "Special 1/2 Price Wine List" every Sunday! Always in good taste, The Prime Rib GIFT CARD. Order your gift card at 410.539.1804 or online @ www.theprimerib.com.
- Cross Street: East Chase Street
- Public Transit: MTA 64 and 61
Light Rail - Cultural Center Stop
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary valet after 5:00pm. The Prime Rib is located in the Horizon House building at 1101 N. Calvert St., at the corner of Calvert and Chase St. The entrance to the restaurant is on the Chase St. side of the building.
A word from The Prime Rib - Baltimore (The Original)
The Prime Rib is an American steakhouse reminiscent of a 1940's Supper Club. Live music every night! Complimentary valet parking.Continued
Special Events: Always in good taste, The Prime Rib gift card is available in any denomination. Order online at www.theprimerib.com
Special Events: Always in good taste, The Prime Rib gift card is available in any denomination. Order online at www.theprimerib.com
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Prime Rib - Baltimore (The Original) - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Prime Rib - Baltimore (The Original) reviews from OpenTable diners
261 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (225)romantic (182)notable wine list (95)fit for foodies (81)neighborhood gem (39)vibrant bar scene (32)hot spot (19)good for groups (18)late-night find (13)great for lunch (4)scenic view (3)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- My time at the Prime Rib BaltimoreDmacDined on 9/13/2014It was my first time dining at the Prime Rib (Baltimore) for My girlfriend and I's one year anniversary. When we arrived we received free valet parking and once inside were greeted very quickly. The restaurant is nice inside and there were some musicians playing some nice music. Our food was delicious and our waiter was very attentive. My only complaint is maybe the seating could be a little more spaced out, We were sat in the middle of the floor and waiters kept having to squeeze through in very tight spaces, so my gf and I were gettin buttcheeks on our shoulders every couple of minutes. Other than that I had a great time!Special Features:
- A Bit DisappointingBillVIPDined on 9/12/2014I have dined here many times in the past and always came away pleased. This time was different. The waiter seemed preoccupied and didn't really pay attention. I ordered an old fashioned straight up and got it on the rocks. When my wife was speaking to him he turned and walked away in mid sentence. We ordered the filet and lobster tail. The filets were cooked to order but the lobster tails looked as if they were from a crayfish. Desserts and coffee were up to their usual good standards, but for what you pay here, the service should be better.Special Features:
- Mt. Vernon great eaterytravelandeatVIPDined on 9/12/2014A wonderful Mt. Vernon find .The prime rib was cooked perfectly and the addition of freshly grated horseradish was pleasant. We have been in the area for 5 weeks, and so far this is our favorite spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the bestMSFAVIPDined on 9/11/2014Five people, five great meals. Our server, Nathan was outstanding.Special Features:
- Best "Fine Dining" in BaltimoreTylerDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I celebrated out 7-year anniversary this past Saturday night (our 3rd visit to the restaurant). When you first walk in, the host is extremely welcoming, and the staff at the bar is more than ready to start you off with a delicious cocktail. Although my wife and I have our "go-to" selections, Chuck, our waiter did recommend the Shrimp Cocktail appetizer (awesome), and the creamed corn side (outstanding). She had the small Prime Rib, and I had the Crab Cakes. My wife swears the PR is the best she has ever had and the crab cakes are the best I have ever had (raised on the Eastern Shore of MD). The ambiance of the dining area, the oustanding professionalism of the waitstaff, IMHO, makes PR the best "Fine Dining" spot in B-more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014As always, wonderful service and food. A great place to go for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Always very nicePattDined on 9/5/2014Amazingly not super busy. Server Zack, professional and attentive. Food very good as usual. Still do not like the closeness of some of the tables. Diners next to us with very little "squeeze in" room for seating. Had to protect my food as they became seated. Not cheap but worth it. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014the atmosphere, food and wait staff were perfect. we had a very relaxing meal and the musical group added a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Everything.JasonrebeccadateDined on 9/4/2014The best NY Strip that I have every had. I have been to every steak house in the greater Baltimore area. My lady friend and I sat at a cozy secluded table with the most comfortable chairs that I have sat in. The service was impecable. Our waiter, Nathan was on top of everything. Pricey , but you definetly left feeling pampered. The piano player was a perfect touch as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful :)PerfectDined on 9/3/2014Perfect birthday dinner - cocktails are amazing, service outstanding, jazz pianist, great food .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PHENOMENAL!!!luvsushi2Dined on 8/31/2014This was our first visit to Prime Rib and we were very excited to be dining as we had never reserved far enough in advance several times before to be able to visit. We frequent a few steak houses on a pretty normal basis, but we have to admit that these were the best steaks we have ever had at any restaurant!!! We had the Filet AuPoivre and the dry aged Strip. Perfection without a doubt!! The signature potato skins were delicious as well as the rest of our meal and the desserts!! Our server Warren was awesome as well as the entire staff at PR. The added touch of the live piano music was the icing on the cake! We will definitely be going back again and again.Special Features:
- Delicious mealParmaFoodiesDined on 8/30/2014Everything was excellent! Great service, great atmosphere!Special Features:
- Prime RibTIRiderDined on 8/30/2014The Prime Rib provided an outstanding evening of dining. The food was excellent and the service wonderful.Special Features:
- RonaldDined on 8/29/2014This restaurant never disappoints! The oysters were fabulous and the entrees superb as usual! Service continues in the fine PR tradition.Special Features:
- DELIGHTFULginnaDined on 8/28/2014John the Bar Manger is outstanding, no matter how long between visits, he always remembers what you order and is cheerful and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the best.MSFAVIPDined on 8/28/2014When I travel, I always compare the NY Strip to the PRs. So far no better.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Excellent venue. While not really a downside to the experience, there were two minor irritants: while the address is listed as Calvert Street, the entrance and signage is on the cross street and away from the intersection; second, there was no one at the valet station in front of the entrance; by way of explanation, we were told the valet was in the garage that evening, and the maitre d' quickly resolved the matter by taking the keys.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Everyone was fantastic and it made my anniversary with my wife a wonderful experience. Our server, Warren, was excellent. I cannot wait until the next time to come back with my brother and his wifeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charleston insteadHL00Dined on 8/23/2014Was rather quiet for a steakhouse, greeter was very warm. Menu felt very worn, stuck to the book, was poorly bound. Asked if we "needed the wine list" as opposed to just giving it to us. Extremely cramped. Filet mignon was excellent, though presentation was lackluster; tiny side salad didn't look very clean. Bread was excellent, waiter was unprofessional for this restaurant caliber; misserved dish; key lime cheesecake was very poorly cut and looked unappetizing--way too sweet. For about 25% more of the total cost, you might as well go to Charleston.
- I love this placeQuitaVIPDined on 8/21/2014We go there every year for our anniversary dinner. It's well worth it.Special Features:
- GoodSKYDIVERDined on 8/16/2014The service was very good, and the atmosphere was excellent. However, the filet was not up to par for the price paid, and the onion rings could have been better. Overall, the Prime Rib partially lived up to its reputation, but it could have been better.
- Best Ever35thAnniversaryDined on 8/16/2014I discovered the Prime Rib when I was searching on Google for an elegant restaurant for my 35th wedding anniversary. I was very impressed with the advertisement and how easy it was to make a reservation. The valet parking was a little bit hard to find, but was perfect when I pulled into the garage. Going up the stairs from the garage was somewhat of adventure until we walked into the restaurant. We were greeted immediately, seated promptly and served as soon as we were seated. The ambiance was just what we were looking for. The food was the best ever. To my delight, we were served with a chocolate mousse and a candle to celebrate our anniversary. I would highly recommend the Prime Rib to all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantbaltimorefoodieDined on 8/10/2014Prime rib you could cut with a fork and all the food was marvelous. Really enjoyed the piano payer and Sunday half price wine was a bonus. Had the key lime pie thought I was full but it was so good I finished my pieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyDinersHappyDinersDined on 8/10/2014The Prime Rib was a great dining experience for our Anniversary Dinner. We were lucky that it fell during Restaurant Week, so we were able to order an excellent variety of foods at a very reasonable price! The choices were good, the food was delicious, and the portions plentiful. The service was a little slow (seemed like the non-restaurant week clients may have received a bit more attention) but it was friendly and we felt not at all rushed. We had not been back to the Prime Rib for quite awhile, and will not wait that long again! We loved the food and the atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- adelerobinDined on 8/10/2014I took my sister out for her birthday during Restaurant Week. It was the best thing I did. The food, service, and ambiance were fantastic. We will go back again.Special Features:
- The Prime Rib is a StarVerneneVIPDined on 8/10/2014This classic old restaurant in Baltimore is the best! I never fails but instead, is a stalwart gem for Baltimore and presents a culinary diamond to everyone who enters its hallowed walls. Service is synonymous with the days of yore i.e. 1950-s and earlier: Fabulously top-notch but serene. Every food item is a succulent morsel for the diner's palate. Every Marylander needs to experience this restaurant because it's a life-changing experience to remember. Yes, this is a star, in Baltimore!Special Features:
- Fine dining at its finestthailDined on 8/9/2014This was one of the best restaurants I've been to in a long while. Not only was the food above n beyond delicious but the service waswonderful. Eventhough I visited during restaurant week n expected it to be a mediocre experience, we were seated immediately, received some good recommendations, and the waiter was very attentive, friendly and anticipated our every need for the mostl part. I definitely look forward to going back. It would b worth the moneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week VisitPatricioDined on 8/9/2014Another couple, my wife and I dined on the fixed price of $30-35 for 3 course meals. We had 4 different entrees and everyone enjoyed their meal. It was a bit noisy, but we were seated on time and served promptly. It was very good overall and I think I will return.Special Features:
- The name sake dish is always good..live2eatVIPDined on 8/9/2014The prime rib steak was good as usual, but the night we were there, it was a little over done than the requested medium making it much too firm. As in the past, the presentation can be tidied up better. May be using a larger diameter plate will help.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week Wrap UpAryzonaVIPDined on 8/8/2014We decided to go here once again before restaurant week wrapped up and this time... it was PACKED!!! In a good way!! The food was still amazing but due to the amount of people there, the service suffered a bit. Other than that... it was a great experience as always!Special Features:
- The BIG rib steak... blueBeastlyDined on 8/8/2014Done perfectly. One of the best steaks I've ever eaten. And steak is my favorite indulgence. Will be my first stop whenever I might get back. Might even be worth the airfare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our FavoriteTinaMarieDined on 8/8/2014Prime Rib has been our favorite restaurant for years. It's consistently excellent. Very attentive wait staff. The food is always prepared to perfection. Baltimore has lots of fantastic restaurants and we've tried many but we keep coming back to Prime Rib.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails to deliver!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014The Prime Rib is a Baltimore icon. It takes you back in time to supper clubs with jazz playing in the back ground. Waitstaff addressing your every whim and a prime rib prepared just the way you ask. Amazing night with my lady cousins made all the more magical by our waiter Chuck's top nouch service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time As UsualRickLuv2DineDined on 8/8/2014I dine at the Prime Rib 7-9 times a year and it's truly one of my favorite places in Baltimore to dine. I almost always have the prime rib and is it always terrific. Their wine is one of the best in Baltimore and they also host a nice selection of dinner scotches.Special Features:
- Classic steakhouse with grey steakTomKDined on 8/8/2014I had never been to prime rib before tonight and didn't know what to expect. It's a very classy place, maybe seen as outdated but I think it worked well with the piano playing and ambience. We went during restaurant week and i was surprised at how good the food was. The prime rib was excellent and definitely worth the slurge. My fiancé had the filet mignon but I thought it was drier. Both were cooked to perfect temp. Spinach and potato sides were really good, as was the key lime pie dessert and tomato soup app. The food is definitely on the same level as a Ruth Chris but just a totally different ambience, and for the better. Service was outstanding too. Don't be put off by the location or decor, it's like a refreshing step back in timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/8/2014As always, the best! Superb food, service, and ambience...even during Restaurant Week (so an excellent deal, also).Special Features:
- Prime ribMommy2471Dined on 8/8/2014The restaurant was amazing. Nathan our server was professional & had a wonderful, fun personality. The only thing that was a surprise was that the prime rib wasn't good (considering name of restaurant). The filet & crab imperial was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week reviewyanamariDined on 8/7/2014While we waited about 25 minutes beyond our reservation time (8:30 on a weeknight), the host apologized and explained he was waiting for several tables to free up, but that they were sitting chatting. Not his fault. When we were seated, we were offered a complimentary bottle of Restaurant Week wine or two cocktails (very nice!). The dining room is tight, but chairs were comfortable. Our waiter, Chuck, was wonderful. He's half the reason we'd return! My fiance ordered the prime rib, which I wish I'd gotten because it was EXCELLENT. Filet was just fine; flame broiled but cooked nicely. We probably enjoyed the bread & butter too much. Creamed spinach and potatoes were simple but nicely done. I'd give the food 4 1/2 stars. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Argosy78Dined on 8/7/2014As always sophisticated ambiance with soft music in background and the usual outstanding realiable standardsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Grande DameNancyNDined on 8/7/2014I've come to The Rib for over 30 years, and the staff knows the secret: don't mess with perfection. They know what their diners want, and they consistently give it to them. This is one grand old lady who can still strut her stuff!Special Features: