The Prickly Pear Cantina
3421 Blackhawk Plaza Circle
Danville, CA 94506Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
The Prickly Pear Cantina
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 9259842363
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:30am - 9:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Rodney Worth
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact our Banquet and Catering Manager at the restaurant for more details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for more details on Private Parties or Banquets.
A word from The Prickly Pear Cantina
Traditional Mexican food with a Southern Calilfornia flair. Top shelf tequila bar, cocktails, beer and wine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
The Prickly Pear Cantina - Best Restaurants in Danville ›
The Prickly Pear Cantina reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (22)scenic view (14)kid-friendly (13)neighborhood gem (12)great for lunch (11)good for groups (8)fit for foodies (7)hot spot (6)special occasion (4)vibrant bar scene (3)romantic (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Lots of potentialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014We dined on a Blackhawk activity night ( western night ) was loud. Although we had a great server, there were other issues. Great location and outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great after a stress day.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2014Great Fajitas. Rice was a bit bland. Nice sitting outside with a good drink.Special Features:
- Mom's night outbusymomDined on 8/20/2014Our table of 6 moms had a fabulous time. Our waiter was wonderful and went the extra mile to keep us ladies happy. Food and margaritas were great too.Special Features:
- Something has Changed for the WorseMarkVIPDined on 8/18/2014I have reviewed The Prickly Pear Cantina favorably before but the quality of the food has since gone down hill. The beef in the Chile Colorado was tough and dried out. On the plus side the drinks were still good and the service was excellent.
- Great Food/Drinks to die foryummyDined on 8/8/2014I am motivated by the Prickly Pear margarita as not too many Mexican restaurants have it, the food was delicious, I ordered the Chile vedre and it was excellent and the portions are huge, I recommend to share or come on a very empty stomach. Great service and lively scene, in the heart of Blackhawk Plaza.Special Features:
- Great chili rellenosJackieVIPDined on 8/8/2014Had a great dinner with great service. One of my favorite places in the Blackhawk Plaza.Special Features:
- Disappointed.finicky444Dined on 7/19/2014The food lived up to the chef's reputation, but the décor and noise level were more like a Taco Bell. Maybe my expectations were off, but it was in Balckhawk. I will give it another try though.Special Features:
- Caymanmama43VIPDined on 7/16/2014I've had better tacos, but everything was fresh. The enchilda with mole sauce was tasty as was the guacamole. I would definitely go back for the service, if nothing else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch Gathering Spot~eveningonthetownDined on 7/16/2014We had a wonderful gathering for a girls lunch at the Prickly Pear Cantina. The salads, which most ordered without the taco shell were very large and tasty. The one, two or three choice lunches offered a good variety to choose from. Choosing the one item was plenty with rice and beans and the prices were good. Our server was attentive and very accommodating.Special Features:
- New kitchen staffChiefVIPDined on 6/20/2014The food was noticeably better. I asked the server if they hired a new chef and she said they have a completely new kitchen staff. Very apparent as the food was very good. Give it another try.Special Features:
- Good ingredients, Good Food!PeterDined on 6/12/2014Food is always consistent and good. Service is prompt and quick. Portions are big. I understand they use locally sourced or organic veggies, and grass fed meat, which is a huge plus. Hard to find restaurants that do that. Have been back 4 times and service and food great every time!Special Features:
- Prickly Pearhb2meDined on 6/10/2014Delicious, locally owned, friendly staff. My go-to special occasion restaurant.Special Features:
- The following 196 reviews are from the The Prickly Pear Cantina reviews archive.
- Nocooking4meDined on 5/14/2014Nice outdoor space next to pond with lots of shade. They were very accommodating by moving tables and umbrellas for our party. We have been here many times before and this server was the spottiest we've had. The food was fresh. We all had salads, some with and some without the flour tortilla shell. I wasn't a fan of the shell but others seemed to enjoy it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All very good except for foodFoodMuchDined on 5/11/2014Ambience and staff were fantastic, margarita was delicious, an price is reasonable. Entrees were okay; my cazuela was too salty, and Mexiacan flag enchiladas were decent but nothing memorable. Tortillas were warm, salsa was spicy, and chips are good. I would eat here again, but wouldn't be my first choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!NanceVIPDined on 5/11/2014Food was delicious and fresh tasting. Would come again with family.Special Features:
- Never againOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/5/2014This place has the worst service. Even tho we had booked reservations over a week in advance, we were given a make shift table in middle of walkway. The table itself was the size of a dime! 30 minutes before we were offered water. 45 minutes before the waiter came for our order....never offering drinks. Food arrived cold and cheese was limp and oily. Never ever again.
- Guinea pig dinerSugarlillyDined on 4/19/2014Food was great, although the fajita's veggies were a little over-cooked. We had the pleasure of being a brand new server's first ever table - she told us so. We were very patient, but she many mistakes that were difficult to ignore, like getting two orders wrong, handing straws to us bare-handed, asking about dessert when we weren't even halfway through our meal, etc. She was very pleasant and always very sorry, but we felt that she could have benefited from more training, and that management through her out into the dining room a little too soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AshKDined on 4/18/2014We were seated quickly, and when we changed our mind and asked for outdoor seating, it was immediately attended to, and a new waitress was at our table in a flash. Half of our party was vegetarian, the waitress patiently explained the menu, went back to check on a couple of items to ensre they were indeed vegetarian and told us the rice was not. Enchiladas were oustanding. we will definetely be back. WWould be great if you could offer some type of rice that is vegetarian (w/o chicken broth).Special Features:
- Yummy Tacos for Taco Tuesday!ReneeMVIPDined on 3/4/2014Love this place for $2 tacos! The only thing this week was that it was super loud; more than what we usually remember. But service and food were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great and our serverTerryDined on 3/1/2014Food was great and our server was exceptionally great!Special Features:
- The Prickly Cantina FoodBuckleDined on 2/28/2014Unfortunately I found the food to be very disappointing. I ordered a tamale and street taco and it appeared they just microwaved the food as it was very dry and overcooked. Based on the pricing of the food I expected a much better meal. The atmosphere of the restaurant is nice but loud. The margarita was very good but they need to work on the food preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected surprise.ThereseDined on 2/24/2014I am visiting my sister and wanted to explore Mexican restaurants. Found this on Open Table, liked the reviews and now they will be returning with my other sister for her birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food poor servicelovechampagneDined on 2/16/2014everytime we have gone here we have had poor service. they bring out all the food and then tell one person they no longer have the food they ordered. why tell that person when everyone else was given their food? We all wait and then everyone's food is cold. It doesn't make sense. We had to ask for refills, water, utensils, salsa etc. Food is good but just bad service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing.jorscoVIPDined on 2/16/2014Terrible acoustics; I could not even hear my wife on the other side of table. Unattentive service; had to ask for water several times. Got two out of four orders wrong. Didn't bring drinks until we were half way through meal. Have dined here since their opening, but this was the worst ever experience.Special Features:
- NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2014Very kid friendly- the noise level was so high you have to almost shout. This was Saturday night, the waitress said it is always very loud Sat night. Wait staff was excellent.Special Features:
- Good timesDeanDined on 2/14/2014We've eaten here a few times. Always had really good food and drinks. Indoor and outdoor seating. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a great experienceNummVIPDined on 1/18/2014We have been too PP many times and really enjoyed each experience. This last time we went we were ignored for almost 15 minutes before we were served. The food has also slipped and was not up to par. We will likely go back but if this pattern continues, it will be the last visit.
- Good food, good priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/11/2014Good food, good price ... sums it up well. Our drinks did not arrive until we were half finished our food, but the server was apologetic and otherwise very nice and helpful. We were sitting a little too close to the next table and their conversation was a bit distracting. I would love to go back in warm weather and sit outside as the patio looks fantastic. We'll definitely go there again. I do appreciate the opportunity to reserve online.Special Features:
- We waited an hour, then it wasLOUD!KPeatsVIPDined on 1/4/2014I made a reservation for 5:45. We were on time. The hostess said it'd be a half hour wait, & waved around a paper with a wait-list of handwritten names. Okay. We went to the bar for a drink & waited. An hour later we re-approached the desk. She looked bewildered, then pointed to her computer screen like "oh yeah, you're over here on *this* list...", then said it'd be another 5 minutes. Right. She said she'd transfer our bar tab to the dining room, then sent over the bar waitress, telling her that we needed something? Huh? Everything this hostess touched went sideways... In other news, the waitstaff were friendly & efficient, even though they were very busy. The food was tasty, if not super special. And it was ridiculously loud. Too loud.
- NYE YUM!BirthdayGirlsDined on 12/31/2013The Prickly Pear is a really good Mexican Restaurant. My "test" dish for Mexican food is Chile Relleno--if that is good, it's a good Mexican Restaurant! This one was delicious! Crispy batter, soft tasty pepper and creamy cheese. Excellent! I also had the Prickly Pear Margarita, which was wonderful. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- AWFUL Margaritas @ $8.50 a piece!rdonnaDined on 12/31/2013House margaritas at $8.50 a piece were awful. There were four of us for dinner and three of us ordered them. We all agreed that they were the "worst ever." If they tasted decent, we would have had another round but the three of us didn't even finish our first ones due to the poor taste. Costco margarita mix is 150 times better tasting than these were. We were very disappointed although the food was average as expected due to New Years Eve.
- great service, decent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/27/2013This is a pretty jumping mexican spot in Blackhawk. The service was great, but food sort of average. I'd go again knowing what to expectSpecial Features:
- Tasty Mexican FareStensVIPDined on 11/2/2013This restaurant has never disappointed! The decor is nice but the back patio is beautiful, it is right on the water and there are swan, ducks, and other birds swimming in the large pond as we'll. the Carnitas are the best ever here. All around great food at a fair price!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodNummVIPDined on 10/12/2013We always go to Prickly Pair for a great family meal. The portions and price are fair, and the food is always great. Our service at the most recent experience was not the best, but we will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican With a Kick!FrancoDined on 9/27/2013Really enjoyed the food at this restaurant. Casual dining environment, but a nice romantic atmosphere and excellent outdoor seating with pleasant views of duck filled canals. The best, were the Margaritas! If all you do is come for the drinks, you won't be disappointed. My favorite is the "Escalade" margarita. Excellent way to impress a date!Special Features:
- Great food and musicOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2013We went to the Prickly Pear on a warm fall evening and had a great meal, as well as music. The drinks were really good and all the food we ordered was really good. This is not your traditional Mexican food, however, it is special and unique, all in a great atmosphere. If it's a warm evening, make sure you request a table outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for kids...earlyVinny2fingersDined on 9/7/2013We came here with our two young kids at 6:30. They were VERY accommodating and made an already difficult thing (dining with kids) pretty easy. They have a kids menu and space for our stroller next to the table. Only advice is don't try to do this during prime dining hours. It's not fair to them, the other customers, or easy for the parents either.Special Features:
- Prickly Pear pretty goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2013We enjoyed celebrating birthday for 2 people at lunch; as a group of six, the staff set up the best table outside next to the water which was great, as the sound of waterfalls and occasional quacking of ducks was a nice background to our conversation. Excellent for kids; the wait staff treated the kids nicely and overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, served attractivelyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/23/2013Delicious food, served attractively by friendly wait staff. Patio seating spacious and relaxing. Chicken nachos outstanding, portions huge. Noticed that restaurant is dog friendly!Special Features:
- Great serverOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2013Very attentive. Made sure we had every thing we needed without being overbearing. Menu was your average Mexican offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.