The Prado at Balboa Park
1549 El Prado
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Prado at Balboa Park
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/theprado
- Phone: 6195579441x203
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Hale
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Our Lounge offers live musical entertainment from 8:00pm - 10:00pm every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings.
A word from The Prado at Balboa Park
Just minutes from downtown San Diego, the convention center, and Mission Valley. The Prado at Balboa Park is located in one of the parks most beautiful buildings. Under chef Jonathon Hale's creative direction the Prado Restaurant has won honors as San Diego's Best New Restaurant, has been named one of America's top 10 restaurants by Gourmet Magazine, received the coveted "four star" award by the California Restaurant writers association. Continental cuisine paired with truly excellent service, unique ambiance, hand crafted decor and outdoor/indoor dining year round are just some of the reason's why we've won "most romantic" and "best special occasion" restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
The Prado at Balboa Park - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
The Prado at Balboa Park reviews from OpenTable diners
350 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (271)special occasion (189)romantic (151)scenic view (149)great for lunch (144)fit for foodies (115)neighborhood gem (92)good for groups (71)great for brunch (60)notable wine list (39)vibrant bar scene (35)hot spot (31)kid-friendly (30)late-night find (25)Show More
- A Fun CelebrationBellaDined on 9/12/2014We recently celebrated a friend's 60th Birthday. We all enjoyed our meals and our server, Chelsea, provided professional, friendly service. We have made The Prado our go-to restaurant for special events!Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningFoodhoundDined on 9/11/2014We recently went to The Prado for dinner. We sat outside on the patio and it was very nice, not too hot. Our server was amazing, the service was wonderful and the food was excellent. There were 3 of us and we all had different entrees and each one was delicious. We have absolutely NOTHING negative to say, the whole evening was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely setting, good foodpractical1Dined on 9/11/2014We enjoyed lunch on the beautiful patio overlooking gardens. Both my husband's fish tacos and my spinach salad were great. Not inexpensive but great experience. Chipotle hummus with flatbread was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniv NightVetdinnerDined on 9/9/2014Steven served us and he was excellent, one of the best ever. The food this night, for both of us, was prepared perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was the weak pointphrankVIPDined on 9/8/2014Nice restaurant in the park, good food. Service was the weak point. We had to wait a long time to order drinks. It turned out our server had mixed us up with another table and thought she had already taken our drink order and told us about the specials, neither of which she had done. After that delay things went a bit better.Special Features:
- SoCalEaterVIPDined on 9/6/2014As always, The Prado was wonderful. We always go before Old Globe performances…. food is delicious, service is excellent and a lovely atmosphere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent diningannualvisitorDined on 9/6/2014Our food was delicious, and our waiter both helpful and personable. His service was excellent, and his recommendations spot-on.Special Features:
- Great dessertsjoeescondidoDined on 9/2/2014Tres Leches was wonderful. I thought the sauce on the calamari fries was too thick and overpowering. Crab cakes were good. Wedge salad was good.Special Features:
- Prado RestaurantanniepDined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed a delightful before-theater dinner at The Prado. The service was accommodating, friendly and efficient. The "get-you-to-the theater-on time" menu was an excellent choice with a uniquely presented wedge salad, perfectly cooked salmon over a bed of vegetables, and included a glass of wine and coffee. We also enjoyed cocktails beforehand in the bar.Special Features:
- Good enough if your in the park.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We were headed to a show at the Old Globe and eat there out of convenience. Food was good, but not great. However, it was prices as though the owner thought it was great. Perhaps your paying for the location. The ambiance was dated, but the staff was trying hard. It's convenient; I'll give it that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why book a reservation?wildthingDined on 8/30/2014I love The Prado restaurant, but I found myself very frustrated this time. We made a dinner reservation at 5 pm, but were not seated until 5:25 and several walk-up groups were seated before us and in the same area we were given a table. We were given a pager when we arrived a couple minutes before 5, but it never went off and it wasn't until I went up to the reception desk and asked what was going on that we were finally seated ... and next to two walk-in groups that came in after we got the pager. The whole point being - why bother making a reservation if walk-in's get seated first and reservations are ignored. It put a little damper on our dinner. Food was very good - as was our server ... rest of the service ... not so good.Special Features:
- Outdoor diningjsbradburyDined on 8/29/2014Took my fiancé here for dinner, requested a table out on the patio. As usual, The Prado took great care of us. The wait staff was attentive without being overbearing, food was excellent and brought in a timely fashion and sitting outside on a San Diego summer night is always pleasant. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Setting in Balboa ParkJrcinmsVIPDined on 8/29/2014Our daughter lives in the area and, on a visit, we wanted to try local restaurants. We were happy to find The Prado on a warm summer evening! We requested outdoor seating and it was so pretty with twinkling lights and very nice setting. Tables are a little close together us my only negative. Good food, my daughter and I split the Paella and that along with an appetizer each was plenty. Although we couldn't resist the Tres Leches cake for dessert! It is memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ambiance overpriced food.three4dinerDined on 8/27/2014On our annual trip to the Old Globe Theater in Balboa Park, we dine before at The Prado. The ambiance of the restaurant is beautiful with its welcoming Spanish courtyard. We were greated with efficiency and seated quickly. It was then the problems started. We hurried to order because our server told us that the play started an hour earlier which was incorrect. When we ordered we were astounded at the portion of the meals - halibut 4 inch square over two tablespoons of a salsa with a tablespoon of slaw about $30 - nothing else. Then we ordered desert which took and had to rush to finish so we could leave. Our server dissapeared often. We had more attention from the bus boy! We will be looking for another place to dine next year.Special Features:
- Comfortable and RomanticEagle2serveDined on 8/27/2014My first date with a special lady was at Prado. She selected it due to the fact she is unfamiliar with the area and new to San Diego. What a pleasure and treasure I found in casual-fine dining. I never experienced such attention to detail by servers and food preparation per my special request. It will be visited for all our special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulKaitlynDined on 8/26/2014I ahve only come o The Prado a handful of times but this last time I went was by far the best. On a Tuesday night they have a really great acustic "band" (A singer/guitar player and box drummer) which really is fun to see while enjoying a drink at the bar. My friend and I had a wonderful time and we will be coming back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PartymgntDined on 8/26/2014Very pleasant evening before a theater event in Balboa Park. It is nice that this restaurant which is so convenient to the Balboa Park scene is very good both in ambiance and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Completed theatre eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Went before theatre at Old Globe. Perfect, wonderful experience, food and ambiance. Recommended to us and we in turn recommend to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JJtheatregoerDined on 8/24/2014I always enjoy the Prado; good food, good service, great ambiance, especially on the patio, and, as I am a theatre-goer, great convenience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceRarelyreviewDined on 8/24/2014Ordered off theater-goers' menu. Fair selection; chose Caesar salad (excellent), pork prime rib (good). Server was courteous, knowledgeable, accommodating. I eaten at Prado several times and service inconsistent. Hope my most recent experience bodes well for future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and exquisiteEastVillageDined on 8/23/2014There's no place like Prado in Balboa - truly exceptional food, service and environment. Easy parking, nice walking before and after dinner - great menu. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Wonderful except for parking!SoCynCyrVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food was awesome, the service quite good,. I do wish restaurants would consider setting aside a section just for families of small children. I know they have to eat but some are unruly and messy. Parking was HORRIBLE! Valet full. Nearest lots FULL. We were late because of driving around looking for a spot and finally had to bribe a valet to take the car! Maybe better on a weekday? But for food and service..... worth the hassle.Special Features:
- great placesavage3735Dined on 8/22/2014The food was awesome the service could not have been better. Our waiter gave us plenty of ideas of things to do and see in the area and then went back to the kitchen to ask the rest of the staff for ideas. Really could not have asked for anything more. This place was the perfect way to top off a great day.Special Features:
- In the ParkGregDined on 8/22/2014Totally did not expect to find such a nice restaurant in Balboa Park.Special Features:
- WowAngelesj888Dined on 8/22/2014Best overall dining experience period. Server was excellent and food was beyond amazing. Even treated us to a celebratory desert selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MenuHowiDined on 8/22/2014There has not been many changes to the menu in the past couple of years. We attend 2 times a year it August and it usually looks the same. Still like the venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EliseCVproudDined on 8/22/2014Daniel might just be the best server in San Diego! Great cocktails with average food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First of many visitsOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 8/21/2014We are moving our son to college in San Diego and wanted to have a nice dinner close by. We love Balboa Park and thought it would be fun to eat at The Prado - and we were not disappointed. Our appetizer of the trio of skewers and the chicken tortilla soup were great. My entree of Chicken with Cheesy grits was spectacular and my son had the Thai style shrimp and noodles and my husband had the Salmon and Short Ribs - both of which were wonderful prepared and plated. We have decided that this will be our go to restaurant when we visit him in school. The decor was fun and worth a walk around the restaurant. And the service was top notch! We will be back - next time seating on the terrace!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Anniversary RendevouxCaliGirlDined on 8/21/2014I had requested a special outdoor table for our anniversary and was pleasantly surprised with the perfect location and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food fantastic, staff accommodatingSnofrostDined on 8/20/2014The food was plated as if it was on a food network show and it melted in your mouth validating the beautiful looking food. They have a view of a romantic little courtyard if you sit outside. My fiance got cold late at night and the wait staff were very patient with us and made sure we were very comfortable. We ended the night with an amazing dessert while listening to a live guitar player singing some classic rock genre music in the bar area since it was warm in there. We are from out of town but hope to visit again soon. Compliments to the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding for special occasionsSusanVIPDined on 8/20/2014Service, ambiance and food all outstanding, on the expensive side.Special Features:
- Great anniversary dinnerMarkDined on 8/20/2014We enjoyed another wonderful evening at The Prado. The service was excellent, the food is always delicious and the outdoor garden was beautiful. It's the perfect place to enjoy a celebratory anniversary dinner.Special Features:
- wandaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014The person who seated us, Matthew, was very personable and led us to his favorite table on the patio. Our meals ,as usual, were all delicious, as was the wine. It was a wonderful way to spend a summer night finished off with a play at the Old Globe. The Prado is always consistent as are all of the Cohn restaurantsSpecial Features:
- PTJPTJVIPDined on 8/20/2014I was pleasantly surprised by this restaurant since I had really low expectations. Service was outstanding; the waitress was extremely knowledgeable, attentive and helpful. The food was great. I had a steak panini topped with a fried tomato, house-made potato and tarot chips, and a broccoli-mandarin orange salad. All were superbly prepared and generously portioned. The patio setting was wonderful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater diningGloberVIPDined on 8/19/2014Great for pre-Old Globe dining! Tuesday night is also date night!Special Features:
- Great gal's lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/18/2014Wonderful lunch during a beautiful day in Balboa Park. The Market Salad was amazing. Would definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful daysandycDined on 8/18/2014The perfect way to enjoy a beautiful day with a special friend on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-Show DinnersMargeDined on 8/17/2014The Prado features a menu for theater goes which includes wine, salad or soup, and a main dish for around $32.00--great food and good value!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014Always enjoy a meal at The Prado. Very top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prado is a San Diego gemSherylCPADined on 8/17/2014A great choice for pre-theatre or just fine dining, the Prado serves consistently great food within the wonderful ambiance of Balboa Park.Special Features: