The Post House
28 E.63rd St.
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Post House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theposthouse.com/
- Phone: 2129352888
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm-4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday 5:00pm-10:30pm, Saturday & Sunday 5:30pm-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Executive Chef: Joel Reiss
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Description coming soon!
- Private Party Contact: Allison Good 2129352888
A word from The Post House
The Post House offers outstanding steakhouse cuisine in a warm, welcoming dining room with rich, clubby décor and polished service. Fresh salads, crabcakes, or tiered-presentation seafood bouquets are a wonderful way to begin any meal. In addition to a selection of top-quality steaks as main courses, the menu also includes several delicious seafood options, including lobsters served broiled or steamed. A selection of side dishes, including Onion Rings, Grilled Vegetables, and Hash Browns complete the meal. Given the menu's breadth, it is no surprise that the wine list includes over 300 international selections and has been distinguished with a Wine Spectator Award of Excellence and the Wine Enthusiast Restaurant Award. Another one of the highlights of dining at The Post House is ending the meal with a selection from the dessert cart, where including house favorites such as Frozen Creme brulee with Coconut Tuile, Toasted Pecan Tart, and Rustic Chocolate Cake.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Post House reviews from OpenTable diners
- AmericanaNewyorkerVIPDined on 7/23/2013Made the reservation for house guests visiting from France. It was just what they had hoped forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite neighborhood place.TennisDined on 7/19/2013My favorite neighborhood place. We have a favorite waiter, Wayne, how is a total delight as well. Steaks are the best I have eaten in NYC.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/18/2013I rarely write reviews, but am writing this one as I want one of my favorite restaurants in the City to get back on track. The PH has been my favorite steak place in the city for a long time. Its hard to find a relatively quiet and elegant steakhouse anywhere, but PH hit the mark with its beautiful dining room, attentive staff and excellent menu and wine list. Thursday they were just off. The staff was slow and not particularly attentive on a night when, based on open tables, they were not particularly busy. The first bottle of wine I selected was not available. The salad I ordered did not arrive with its goat cheese, which arrived 5 minutes later in a small bowl without explanation from the waiter.The steak, like the staff was off too.
- They are closing soon andedsocratesVIPDined on 7/15/2013They are closing soon and have down graded their food quality. Staff is bitter and depressed.
- The Post House never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/18/2013I've been coming to the Post House for a few years now. The steaks and food in general are consistently good and the service spot on. Jimmy is a fabulous host and his staff are friendly and attentive. Great for a dinner with the wife or a guys night out since Club Macanudo is right next door for a post dinner cigar.Special Features:
- Outstanding!VillagerVIPDined on 6/17/2013Great food and service in a sophisticated atmosphere that is conducive to serious business conversation.Special Features:
- Post House ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/1/2013We were at The Post House many years ago and it was excellent. Going back we were disappointed.... waiter did not seem to really care about waiting on us, ever mentioned the soup of the day, which I would have ordered. My prime rib came too well done and he was annoyed that I sent it back. Then we never saw him again, his bus girl delivered the bill. The hash browns were excellent, meat fair and caesar salad marginal. We probably will not return and let The Post House rest on previous good memories.
- very goodhashapiVIPDined on 5/26/2013One of my best meals. Our friends loved everything about the food and service.Special Features:
- The food was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/18/2013The food tasted amazing, the portions are great for the prices. Everyone really enjoyed the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2013Cajun ribeye and porterhouse are excellent. Mac and cheese is delicious. Great cheesecake and banana cream pie. One of the last classic New York steakhouses. Timeless.Special Features:
- great anniversary experienceNYCtravelerDined on 5/17/2013Beautiful neighborhood restaurant with pleasant decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible as always!KnowMyFoodVIPDined on 5/14/2013Wonderful food and service! The quintessential chop house. The bone-in Cajun rib steak is fabulous!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post House, May 8, 2013VillagerVIPDined on 5/8/2013An excellent dinner as always. The steaks were grilled to perfection -- tasty and juicy -- and the side dishes delicious. The drinks were generous and service efficient and professional. The Post House is my No. 1 choice for dinner with clients who appreciate an excellent steak in sophisticated surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and the service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2013The food and the service was perfect. It was such a shame because we had a small table up on the higher level and could not enjoy our converstaion because there was a very large group two feet behind us, approx. 12 -14 persons who were making speaches and were abnormally loud, I would say almost shouting. It was very distracting. They were celebrating a wedding and should have had their own space, I would not put other guests near them, especially in such a tight space. Across from us, near the kitchen door, was another table all on it's own, which would have been perfect, I feel the restaurant could have used some discretion here. The other table was never occupied and our reservation was made ahead of time.
- Waiters are excellent, bartenderStephenVIPDined on 4/20/2013Waiters are excellent, bartender Michael is superb and the food is consistently good
- Beef WellingtonNoelcoppDined on 4/13/2013My favorite is Beef Welllington, it is served on Saturday Evening. The meal was outstanding and the Service was even better.Special Features:
- Overpriced and very unprofessionalOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013Overpriced and very unprofessional waitresses and waiters
- Best beef on the upper eastnewyorker10021VIPDined on 4/10/2013Best beef on the upper east side,. Predictable, expensive, steak house, and worth every penny of each delicious biteful. Creme brulee for dessert is okay but the banana creme pie is perfect.Special Features:
- Second time at post house.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2013Second time at post house. First time was great, second time not so great. To start off the person checking me in ignored my presence for about 2 minutes because he was too busy talking to his friends at the bar. Our waiter had attitude and was making off colored jokes while seating us. Ordered a filet and had to send it back because it was over cooked. I would not recommend this steakhouse.
- This was my second visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2013This was my second visit to The Post House; we had such a good experience the first time earlier in the year that we returned for my son's birthday. The classic New York charm, excellent food and friendly, attentive staff made it all we could have wished for and we enjoyed a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Consistently one of the betterRogerWVIPDined on 3/27/2013Consistently one of the better steak houses in NYC with very fair prices,
- Expectations were high forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2013Expectations were high for a good meal at a classic NYC steak joint. Concerns registered early when the server recommended against the classic porterhouse steak as it "hadnt been good" recently. We opted for for the NY strip and the bone-in prime rib. The bone in prime rib had thick fat/ligiments that could not be cut with a knife, let alone allowing for enoyment of the steak. The steak was sent back to the kitchen with the acknowliegement by the server that it was not edible. After a long 20 minutes, another steak was delivered. The second steak being much better, but enough time had passed to limit the potential enjoyment of the meal. Interesting, the table next to us sent one of their steaks back for same reason.
- I appreciate the restaurant'sKittDined on 3/15/2013I appreciate the restaurant's giving us the quietest table possible and accommodating us in whatever we wanted. This is great service. Steaks were all excellent. The side orders were somewhat skimpy.Special Features:
- Post House is one of our favoriteSistersDined on 3/15/2013Post House is one of our favorite NYC restaurants. Going there in Wine Week is not the best time to experience their usual fixed-price lunches, which are consistently excellent and a very good value, because the normally sedate ambience is very high decibel.Special Features:
- Consistent ny steakhouse.GerardDined on 3/14/2013Consistent ny steakhouse. Food is top notch. What makes Post House special is its ambience. Dining room has a more intimate feel and warmth than many of its competitors. Hadn't been there for a while but immediately felt that warmth and great energy! Wonderful evening!Special Features:
- BEEN GOING TO THE POST HOUSEmaltzDined on 3/14/2013BEEN GOING TO THE POST HOUSE FOR OVER 25 YEARS AND THE LAST 5 YEARS FOR WINE WEEK. tHEY NEVER MISS A BEAT. OUR GROUP WILL BE BACK NEXT YEAR. WHAT BETTER ENDORSEMENT DO YOU NEED.Special Features:
- I always try to go to TheOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/13/2013I always try to go to The Post House for their every semi-annual wine week especially mid-week. At this lunch for the first time I had the Post House's classic Jumbo Maryland crab cake it was superb. I had the Cajun rib eye steak meduim-rare. The steak was cooked to perfection. I had the button mushrooms and the hash brown potato, again another choice that; I will duplicate in the future.Special Features:
- The waiter was fantastic asOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/9/2013The waiter was fantastic as was the food! Great time had by all!Special Features:
- It would be better if theOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/5/2013It would be better if the unionized waiters refrained from wearing union badges on their uniforms, which only help to suggest to customers that the waiters' first loyalties may be to someone other than the restaurant's customers.Special Features:
- Haven't been here in aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/23/2013Haven't been here in about four years and the restaurant is showing its age. Needs to be refreshed. Food is still a draw but with all the new steakhouses opened in the last couple of years, this one is clearly slipping.Special Features:
- Note to all Open Table members-JoegDined on 2/23/2013Note to all Open Table members- they did not award me my points for dining there . They also did not return my call when I left a message regarding the subject.Special Features:
- Ok food, slow service.Divablue5VIPDined on 2/19/2013Not really recommended if you are looking to have a meal in an efficient time. They waiters are nice but the time lag from when you order and when you actually get served is long, especially since there was less than 10ppl in the restaurant at the time when I went. I can only imagine what it would be like if there were more people, or worse if it was crowded. Food is not really worth the wait.
- The Americana decor is attractive.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013The Americana decor is attractive. We had filet mignon and lamb chops. The meat was of good quality but the portions were so large they took our appetite away. The side order of hash browns could have amply served six The coconut cake was served still frozen. Our waiter was inattentive. We had to ask for water. We were not asked if we wanted more drinks. We had to ask that our plates be removed many minutes after we had finished our meal. This was our first visit to the Post House. We will not return.
- Not for romance!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2013We had selected The Post House for our anniversary dinner as it had been listed on a website as a "romantic restaurant". We were looking for a place that served food that was not too "exotic", and we liked the straight forward menu. We were not disappointed in the food, but I would not recommend it as being "romantic". It is nice and pleasant, service was fine, but it is a bit too hustle bustle, and the the tables are extremely close together.
- birthdays at the Post Housecat123Dined on 2/9/2013we went to celebrate 2 family birthdays, the food was great, and the service- attentive and appropriate with timing. the room was loud for a while because of a big group, but they were having fun and left before our entrée arrived. Loved the table, we were on a raised platform by ourselves, with a view of the restaurant. Very nice experience!Special Features:
- I chose their Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2013I chose their Restaurant Week menu. There was plenty to chose from and they didn't place these items on the Restaurant Week menu and simultaneously reducing the portion size which I heard a lot of establishments do. My reservation was for 1;00pm, the last day of Restaurant Week, 2013, seated promtly. I thought the lunch traffic was extremely light, but given it was a Friday, blizard warnings, rain with a mixture of sleet and snow they were doing very well Errol DeaconSpecial Features:
- Always pleased when attendingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/7/2013Always pleased when attending the Post House. Food is always on point.
- This was by far the best RestauranyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/7/2013This was by far the best Restaurany Week menu due to the value you got for your money. The food was outstanding and I don't think it was a restaurant my friends and I would experience for a normal occasion. I do have to say it was kind of funny because we were the youngest people there BY FAR (29-31) and that the much much older people that surrounded us were very snooty and would stare at us and point like we were out of place. So it was a little stuffy and we care but something to think about for others. The staff did not act that way at all though and they were all funny and extremely nice so no worries there!Special Features:
- Our Restaurant Week experiencegourmet4meVIPDined on 2/7/2013Our Restaurant Week experience was better than we hoped for. My filet mignon was excellent, and the portion size quite adequate. My wife was especially surprised by the well-prepared cod entree, as well as the tasty salmon tartare. Unexpected in a steakhouse. All in all, a very good deal showcasing the restaurant's charm and attractions.Special Features:
- The Post HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/6/2013I had the restaurant week lunch. It was poor and not well prepared. The food was overdone and soggy. It seemed like a special price got less than special treatment. For a high end restaurant I wouldn't return.