The Porter House
125 Kinderkamack Road
Montvale, NJ 07465Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
The Porter House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.porterhouseusa.com/
- Phone: 2013076300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm.
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse, Irish
- Executive Chef: Chef Christopher Dunn
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Fireplace, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The Porter House cater on and off premise events.Choose from multiple private dining options that can accommodate groups of 10-129 people. Let us take care of the details, we can work with any budget to come up with a menu to suit all occasions or dietary requirements.
- Private Party Facilities: Private rooms available for groups of 10-120 people Our Chef Christopher will design a menu for all your personal requirements. Our staff are also available to cook in your home and provide The Porter House experience at your own house.
- Private Party Contact: Kelly Robinson 2013076300
A word from The Porter House
The Porter House is a stylish Irish steakhouse in Montvale. Owned by Irish Fintan Seeley for the past thirteen years, the restaurant has two main dining rooms, an outdoor patio, a rustic bar & side room, and an elegant cigar lounge. The restaurant is furnished with genuine antiques from Ireland, and feels both intimate and family friendly while still being adaptable to large parties. The bar has twenty-four beers on tap, with a large selection of craft beer, and there is an extensive collection of wines from around the world by glass and by bottle, guaranteed to satisfy even the most selective palates. The rooms and the patio have working fireplaces; perfect for those chilly autumn or winter nights when you want dinner somewhere cozy and inviting. The main dining room is romantically lit, with ruby and cream lighting offsetting the mahogany textures of the chairs, while the upstairs is beech toned and comfortably homey with its own bar and gorgeous circular decorative railing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Porter House reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (3)special occasion (3)neighborhood gem (2)romantic (2)notable wine list (2)good for groups (1)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- RefreshingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014The last time we were here we felt rushed through dinner which was very uncomfortable. We didn't return for a while because of this. This time the service was wonderful and we were given time to enjoy drinks before ordering dinner. Will be back againSpecial Features:
- More of a bar sceneOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Great food amd great service but this restaurant has a cigar bar scene in a seperate room that seems to be booming. The restaurant is pretty much empty on a Saturday night and along with the tired decor it is a depressing place to eat. It is a shame. It has become a smokers and bar scene hang out. No plans for going back.Special Features:
- Nice SurpriseAl929VIPDined on 8/2/2014Was looking for a local Steak House after finishing a round of golf at Spook Rock. Found this great place. Walked in and was asked "Smoking or Non-Smoking" There is a Cigar Lounge and a Patio for smokers. Food was excellent. Shrimp were most excellent, Steak was properly cooked. After dinner we went into the Cigar Lounge and enjoyed a nice cigar from their great selection of Cigars. Overall an excellent experience.
- Great SteakAMS081883Dined on 7/20/2014It was a Sunday @ 5:15pm. My boyfriend and I wanted something good and quick b/c we went to West Point after for a Summer Concert Band performance. I wanted the pork chop, but the waitor came back and said they were all out, same with the lamb. So, I had the prime rib. Great steak, au jus was delicious for dipping. Wish we had more time for 3-courses. We sat outside which was nice, they had an outdoor fireplace. Bathroom stalls were tight, I had to straddle the toilet to close the stall door, very clean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/13/2014While running an errand for my daughter who had just moved to the area, I stumbled across The Porter House The exterior was intriguing and inviting, so I checked out the menu and reviews on Open Table and made reservations for dinner. Upon arrival, I was just as impressed with the interior and décor, the hostess was pleasant and accommodating as we also had our 6 month old grandson along. The food was excellent, the strip steak was spectacular as were the sides. I would return for the Tavern Blues salad and extensive selection of imported draft beers alone. The fact that The Porter House also has a dedicated and separate cigar bar was a plus for me, albeit one that I did not visit on this trip. We can't wait to return for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 20 reviews are from the The Porter House reviews archive.
- Just not good.Kif345Dined on 6/14/2014I hadn't been here in years and was looking for a nice dinner. Unfortunately, although the food was decent enough (and no more), it was so overpriced for what you got. The main problem was likely that I was paying $30 an entree to eat in a room that literally reeked like some old musty, smoky, Holiday Inn hotel room. Yuck. While I knew there was a cigar bar on premise, I couldn't imagine how badly the dining room would smell. I'd never return. So many better restaurants in the area in that price range with both better food, atmosphere, and value.
- Good for SmokersLFalkVIPDined on 5/5/2014We requested to sit outside and it was nice. The food and service was average. We do not smoke though and they smoke inside and outside. The patio heaters were also not working which was not good.Special Features:
- Outstanding!KarenDined on 4/4/2014Outstanding Food and Service! Every time we've been to the Porter House, we've never been disappointed. The hostess, servers, and even the owner made sure that our dining experience was pleasurable. I definitely recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Good dining experienceBobgataDined on 3/30/2014Food was delicious from appetizer to desert. Waiters were always available to help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steaks and CigarsAdamDined on 3/29/2014Decent prices, good food, and a cigar lounge, only negative is the waiter, it seemed like we were bothering him if we asked for something when he came to the table, like another drink. Overall, nice place, I would recommended it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- St. Patrick's Day DinnerWillVIPDined on 3/17/2014Went for corned beef and cabbage and they didn't disappoint. Beef was lean and tender with cabbage, potatoes and Brussel sprouts. The only thing missing was Irish Soda bread! We had to ask for it several times and when it finally arrived it was just three rolls with raisins. We certainly expected the real thing in an Irish restaurant. That was a big disappointment. Desserts were ok, a bit on the heavy side.
- I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THISexperience5sdinerVIPDined on 3/16/2014I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS RESTAURANT, BECAUSE OF MY EXPERIENCE......AFTER THE APP, AND SALAD, WE WAITED FOR 1HOUR 20 MINUTES FOR OUR ENTREES....REALLY DID NOT SEE HOUR WAITER ..... STEAKS WERE BURNT ON THE OUTSIE...AND DONE AS WE ASKED ON THE INSIDE....
- Great steak!FizzyMacDined on 2/16/2014I surprised my husband for his birthday by bringing him here for dinner. We were both looking forward to a delicious dinner but unfortunately the cigar bar wasnt in an ideal location. I had looked up the restaurant and saw there was a cigar bar but figured it would be located not near the restaurant. Unfortunately we were greeted by the strong smell of cigars upon walking in the front door. The smell carried down to the restaurant. It wasnt bad enough that we left but once we arrived home, our clothes had the strong smell of cigar stuck to them. Overall the food was great but I may think twice before returning due to the smoke smell. They should consider relocating the cigar bar.
- Nice waiterKayTVIPDined on 2/8/2014We had the Chicken Pot Pie and Ahi Tuna Salad. The pot pie was very good except it had a little too much liquid in it. The Ahi Tuna was perfectly cooked with nice dressing. Our waiter was very attentive and he helped us to have a enjoyable lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Long as You Know...ClemieDined on 2/6/2014Had a very good meal. Would go back again. Just keep in mind that the venue includes a cigar bar, from which the odor does slightly drift into the dining room. My friend and I, both former cigar smokers, did not object, but more sensitive noses might.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was okRodisgirlDined on 1/4/2014everything was fine, but nothing really stood out.
- New Year's EveOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/31/2013I have been to this restaurant before and it was a good experience, however we decided to go for New Year's Eve. The menu chocies were good however we had to order eveything at same time and our food came one on top of the other, and the restaurant wasnt filled so I dont know why the rush. Would not do this again.
- Very Enjoyable EveningoneforthethumbDined on 12/31/2013We went for dinner on new year's eve and the food and service was excellent. The price for a new year's eve dinner was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive but only fair foodDutdaDined on 12/18/2013The cocktails and wine are very overpriced. The steak was ordered very rare and came out medium rare and had a lot of gristle. The shepherd's pie was bland.
- Good middle of the road diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/17/2013Food was quite good, generous portions. Seating is old and uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Had just eaten there withNickVIPDined on 10/17/2013Had just eaten there with my wife the night before and it was outstanding. Had a business meeting the following day and made reservations. Requested the same waiter-Pete. Very attentive to our needs. My three guests were all impressed and suggested that we come back for dinner and that they themselves would bring their wives back for dinner. Lunch was very good, dinner was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we both had filet mignonsNickVIPDined on 10/16/2013we both had filet mignons and they were done to perfection. Our waiter Pete was simply a delight to have and very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy on Saturday nightfoodgalVIPDined on 10/12/2013I have been to the Porter House many times during the week. This time was Saturday night. The piped-in music was so loud, everyone at their tables had to yell to be heard. Much too noisy! And, there were new servers being trained, which really slowed down service. Our waiter walked by numerous times without making eye contact, making it difficult to ask for items, including our check. And, he brought us the wrong soup. I would not return on a Saturday night.
- The waitress had zero knowledgeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2013The waitress had zero knowledge of anything on the menu, had to kept going back to The kitchen to double check with the chef. When I asked for my steak medium to medium well it came out overly well done. Ambience reminded me of a cheap Atlantic City resturant.
- Not as good as it used to bekatdemDined on 8/10/2013Porter House is not nearly as good as it used to be. Also, while the server was very nice, we asked not to be rushed and when you are still eating your appetizer and your dinner comes while fork is still in hand....hello....that's rushing. Also, even though there is outdoor seating and the patio is very nice, there should NOT BE SMOKING allowed ANYWHERE food is being served. We were surrounded by smokers, it was not good.