3938 N Central
Chicago, IL 60634Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://theportagechicago.com/
- Phone: 7738530779x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm,
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm;
Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Joey Beato
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: We are capable of designing a catering menu to fit your needs. We offer a wide range of American dishes, but can make any cuisine desired.
- Private Party Facilities: We specialized in hosting bridal showers, baby showers, birthday parties and smaller weddings.
- Private Party Contact: Quay Tao 7738530779x
- Special Events: The 3rd Wednesday of every month, we host a special dinner! Find more details about our next dinner by visiting our Facebook page.
- Cross Street: Irving Park Rd.
- Public Transit: Irving Park Bus (#86)
Central Ave Bus (#56)
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: FREE PARKING at The Fil-Am Seventh Adventist Church at the corner of Dakin and Central Ave. This lot is 100 feet from our front door. There is no sign on the lot, but we have an agreement with them for our customers' usage . If you are unsure of the lot, please call us or inquire when you are dining here. Thank you!
A word from The Portage
Named as one of the Best New Restaurant by Chicago Magazine in 2011 and recently featured on the hit show Check, Please! The Portage is a friendly and welcoming restaurant in the heart of Portage Park. We offer refined American comfort food in a home-like setting, whether you choose to sit inside at one of our intimate tables or outside in our zen like garden.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Portage - Best Restaurants in Portage Park ›
The Portage reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (88)fit for foodies (77)great for outdoor dining (53)special occasion (47)romantic (27)good for groups (19)hot spot (17)notable wine list (15)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Looking forward to returningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/23/2014The portage has a great menu from appetizer to desserts and an interesting cocktail and beer list. Everything is well thought out, and the small space is well planned and decorated to set a nice mood. We look forward to returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep this place a secretRobbiHamidaDined on 10/18/2014With its incredible staff and delicious food, I'd prefer to keep it all to myself. This place is truly a gem. If on the menu, the brisket is amazing as is the beet salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restuarant in ChicagorecensoreVIPDined on 10/18/2014I would be hard pressed to name another restaurant that has figured out a better combination of food, value and service. You feel welcome from the moment you arrive. The owner, Quay, sincerely wants everyone to enjoy themselves and his attitude is shared by the entire staff. The bar has all of the standards plus some creative takes on classics with an excellent wine list and some real values. Chef Joey maintains the favorites yet provides innovative specials. If this restaurant were located downtown you would never be able to get in. Don't miss the "duck" fries- thicker and more flavorful than Hot Doug's version. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeDarrinDined on 10/18/2014Always a great time. Great effort by the staff to make the experience fun, entertaining and comfortable.Special Features:
- Always excellentDiamante1181Dined on 10/18/2014There is a level of service and quality you come to expect, and the Portage is always consistently wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale ComfortcoffeenteaDined on 10/17/2014Amazing food. Delicious Duck fat fries- right amount of crispiness/thickness. We had the duck special, roast chicken, & pork loin. All delicious, but the spin on chicken and waffles with gravy (& bacon) was a big hit. Limoncello Creme Brulee was refreshing/light, and chocolate cake was rich but not "heavy." Good beer list and nonalcoholic beverage options. Service was friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. Reservations recommended for a Friday night as restaurant is small, but worth the wait. lastly, my group was celebrating a special birthday and I requested a candle on the dessert, and was pleasantly surprised by the thoughtfulness of the presentation and generosity.Special Features:
- Great menuJammy302Dined on 10/17/2014We stopped here for dinner before a Tributosaur show at The Copernicus theater and it was just great ! This was our first visit and we'll definitely go back. It's a very small neighborhood type restaurant, great service, varied menu and nice wine/bar menu. I'd highly recommend making a reservation.Special Features:
- Cozy, quality, perfectionSPBGDined on 10/11/2014This restaurant had a magical combination of homey and upscale. The chicken and waffles were the true standout, but I'm told the scallops and the pork belly were no chumps. For appetizers, the dumplings and the brussell sprouts were truly divine. The front room was noisier, but we sat in the back room, and it was intimate and gorgeous. Only downside is that the bar area is extremely tight, so if you are standing up behind someone in a chair, you are constantly dodging servers and staff moving about the tables. Hardly a reason to skip this place, just a heads up. I loved this restaurant and will gladly come again!Special Features:
- ExcellentMotownDined on 10/11/2014Picked it due to positive reviews and was not disappointed. Inventive food pairings and largish portions (although that may not be the best thing). Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great EveningPaulDined on 10/10/2014We have dined at The Portage several times and it is always a treat. Great cocktails and wine selection paired with wonderful food. We always end up having several appetizers, as they are all great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/10/2014Wonderful from beginning to end. Small restaurant with muted grey walls and a very homey feel. Exceptional service--our server went through the menu with us and made wine pairing recommendations, plus signed us up for the Portage's email list, so we could learn about events and specials. Food was amazing. There is a Brussels sprouts appetizer that can change your life. Solid burger. Lots of subtle Asian flavors. Great cocktails and an interesting wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Portage Stands OutOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2014It was my first visit, but one of many to come. Excellent range of choices with sophisticated comfort food suitable for an intimate setting. Everything I tasted from the bacon wrapped dates to desert was outstanding. Service was first class. Highly recommendable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!KatinaVIPDined on 10/7/2014I love the Portage and don't get here nearly as often as I'd like. Great food, great service. Everyone is so nice. The food is fantastic. Brussell sprouts are amazing. Had the pork loin the other night - yumola! AND - a jalapeno cocktail - can't recall the name but I'm headed back there tonight for another. It was fabulous. My friend had the fish special and raved about it. Check it out - you won't be disappointed. AND you'll be supporting the 'hood!!Special Features:
- Surprising dinnersnapperDined on 10/5/2014The Portage is an intimate restaurant located in a building that looks like it might once have been a dental office. But, once inside it is very cozy and the smells from the kitchen are wonderful. Our waiter was amazingly friendly, enthusiastic and conversant in all of the unique items on the menu. The food was all delicious and unique without being fussy. Look forward to going back again soon.Special Features:
- Second visit very disappointingfoodismyfriendDined on 10/4/2014We dined at Portage this past summer and was very impressed, unfortunately on our return trip this past week in October it seems their popularity has gone to their heads. The service was very spotty - we had extremely long stretches of time between visits from our waiter. The worst part was the fact that the prices all went up while the portion sizes were drastically smaller. We will not be returning.Special Features:
- RestaurantjunkieDined on 9/27/2014Food was fabulous ,restaurant was so crowded that the kitchen could not keep up,waited fifteen minutes for drinks and an hour for our dinners. Also the noise level is very intense.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/23/2014The food was excellent!! The wait staff was very knowledgable and attentive. The only reason I wouldn't go back is that the room had a moldy basement smell. If they could fix that it would be a winner!!Special Features:
- Great spotDoyleDined on 9/20/2014From the easy street parking to the friendly welcome to the perfectly done meals, a great experience. Very good beer list, and a good energy in the small but comfortable dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice surpriseGreeksinPortageDined on 9/14/2014The food was delicious. What a unique menu. I went with my girlfriends and we were not sure what to order, so we decided to share our dishes. My favorite was the chicken with the waffle. I even brought left overs home and it tasted just as delicious the second day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected PleasureKennoVIPDined on 9/14/2014The Portage clearly works hard to deliver seasonal, reasonably priced and delicious food accompanied by a smart beverage menu. It's a welcome spot in a neighborhood that doesn't host many destination restaurants...but The Portage is worth a trip.Special Features:
- Our FavoriteGoPortageDined on 9/12/2014We come back again and again. Since discovering the Portage a couple of years ago it has become our favorite. It is small and a little cramped. But the great food (always changing and being creative), and wonderful friendly service makes it a hit every time. Quay and team you rock!Special Features:
- katmobrienVIPDined on 9/12/2014My parents LOVED The Portage and raved how this was a nice enough restaurant to take my wealthy uncle to (apparently a true mark of excellence in their eyes). It seemed like the perfect restaurant to make everyone happy-- American food (my parents) with an Asian flare (me). I loved the Brussels sprouts and they loved their pork loin. I was a little disappointed with the beef brisket (quite fatty) but will certainly go back.Special Features:
- GoodChitowneatsDined on 8/30/2014Arrived at restaurant for 8pm reservation and had to wait 25 minutes for a table, a waiter greeted us and said he did not know when a table for 4 would open, even though we had a reservation... A manager (maybe or owner) came by and said it would be faster to wait to sit inside, then a few minutes later it was faster to wait sit outside, then we waited more. Beer list and specialty drink list was good. Enjoyed appetizers. Our waiter was nice but recommended the most expensive items (we ordered two of them, portions were kind of small) gnocchi appetizers and one special entree. The other food ordered (dates, Chicken waffles, brisket) was great. Good flavor, nice presentation.Special Features:
- myfavelogoDined on 8/30/2014From start to finish a beautiful meal filled with unusual flavors that harmonized.Special Features:
- Summer treatRosebudDined on 8/28/2014Enjoyed a delicious dinner on the patio, beginning with the Thursday mussels and cocktails. We also shared the delectable beet salad, and then moved on to comfort foods with a yummy twist; chicken & waffles, pork tenderloin and beef brisket. Each beautifully served and full of tasty surprises. A few sprinkles on the patio, we were invited to come inside but enjoyed eating this special meal outdoors, plenty of long winter to eat inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday visit not up to snuff2hot2handleDined on 8/24/2014"Are you the 8 top?" is how I was greeted at The Portage. I have dined at The Portage on 4 other occasions and have been greeted in a more friendly manner in the past. Oh, well. I know I am in store for a really good meal so... We had a reservation and were seated quickly. The problem arose when we were seated in the back "room" of the restaurant, which is really a hallway to the garden. Dark, windowless and VERY HOT. Maybe a cozy spot in the cooler months but this night, temps in the high 80s, humid. The room had no air conditioning and continued to get stuffier each time the rear door opened to seat and serve outdoor diners. One cocktail caused breaking out in a sweat. Good service, DELICIOUS food, terribly uncomfortable setting.Special Features:
- A noteworthy dining experienceAwesomeDawson1Dined on 8/24/2014In a spot you'd almost miss is cute little restaurant called the Portage. Cozy tables, fabulous dishes, great cocktails, and attentive staff make it wonderful for a Sunday night dinner. Try the pink dragon when you get there. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden in plain sightGarryGrayDined on 8/23/2014I never expected the dining experience we enjoyed at The Portage. Superbly prepared food, interesting choices and a laid back atmosphere. Just like downtown, except this is on the north side, right by Portage Park. Thoughtful service and great food...I couldn't have been happier!Special Features:
- what happened to the burger?BakikoDined on 8/22/2014during the night a lot of food was returned to the kitchen even the well received burger. we ordered the burger well done. it came very dry and tasteless not worth its price. maybe new kitchen staff but I had better experience with food in previous visits. had to wait long in between courses should not be an issue for a busy friday night. our waiter was very friendly and nice even though my glass of wine came midway through my entree. please portage fix the problems i like patronizing neighborhood businesses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try if you're in the areaRicardioDined on 8/22/2014A big plus is this place has available parking (church across the street). I would definitely visit again. The restaurant can get crowded but as long as you make reservations you should be alright. Prices are very reasonable!Special Features:
- Always a treatvxtrDined on 8/22/2014The changing menu at Portage is always intriguing. Service was very attentive. Owner made a point of checking that we were enjoying our dinner. Look forward to the opening of Community and returning to Portage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in Portage ParkMMillerDined on 8/21/2014From service to food, time and again the portage always delivers the best food maybe in the whole city. The staff is the best and they treat everyone that way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodJRabDined on 8/17/2014One of the best meals we've ever had in Chicago area. Truly a gem! Starting with the corn and pepper bisque and on to all of the entrees everything was just outstanding. Berkshire pork and Amish chicken on a waffle were of particular note.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth a detourwillfredVIPDined on 8/15/2014We were looking for a new experience and found the Portage on Yelp. It was great to find such a fine restaurant in an unexpected neighborhood. Prices were lower than what we're used to closer to the lake but the quality and creativity of both the food and beverage choices made it hard for us to choose. We were lucky to have perfect weather on the stylish patio, but after such a terrific meal I'll even look forward to returning during colder months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was incredible!lovelocalfoodDined on 8/9/2014We typically go downtown for 'good dinners'. After trying The Portage, we will certainly reconsider that. The food was incredible, terrific bar menu- lots of local breweries. Service was terrific. Delish!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most food delicious...BBCHIDined on 8/8/2014We came on a Friday night...was very busy, luckily had reservation. But they have really packed that dining room tightly and it's hard for the wait staff to get around. It took WAY too long for us to get a drink. 2 people in our party were running late b/c of traffic, but we still should've been offered a drink right away. Got some apps...crabcake pretty good, mac n cheese nothing to write home about, brussel sprouts pretty good. Those I was with had the chicken on the waffle...good report, scallops...excellent, burger...good report. I had the brisket. It was dry and hard. The risotto cake beneath it was tasty though. I was here about 2 years ago and loved it. Feel like it's slipped a little. Maybe it was just an off night.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/8/2014Had a fabulous time and can't wait to return! Everything was on the mark: ambiance, service, food, drinks. Very helpful and knowledgeable staff.Special Features:
- Foodie Friend Gave it High MarkslynniexperienceDined on 8/7/2014Hi! I was taking my friend, his wife and my daughter out to dinner and thought why not go to something local. They are all foodies and I am just a great diner! We enjoyed our dinners immensely and my party all agreed that we would come back again! So nice to have something close by that is really good! Kudos to the Chef and Staff!Special Features:
- Hidden Neighborhood Gem!ThomasY26Dined on 8/3/2014Great food! Great service! Servers are always friendly and willing to make drink and or menu suggestions if you ask. Fantastic date night place! You won't be disappointed...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portage Has It AllChuckVIPDined on 8/2/2014Portage is one of those rare restaurants that combine superior food, flawless service and a pleasant ambiance with reasonable, even low, prices. From the opening greeting, through the courses of service and the final wrap-up, execution of the dining experience is first class. Our group of four ordered four different main courses, six appetizers (we are a voracious bunch...) and two desserts. Each plate brought smiles as well as gastronomic pleasure to our lips. The Portage is truly one of Chicago's somewhat hidden gems. Go there!Special Features: