The Plumed Horse
14555 Big Basin Way
Saratoga, CA 95070Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $50 and over
The Plumed Horse
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.plumedhorse.com/
- Phone: 4088674711x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm -10:00pm;
Lounge: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Peter Armellino
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Please visit our website, http://www.plumedhorse.com/news_and_events_upcoming_events.php, for our latest entertainment offerings.
- Special Events: Become our VIP and enjoy a special birthday & anniversary dinner at Plumed Horse! Please sign up at http://www.plumedhorse.com/contact_mailing_list.php?referralCode=OpenTable
A word from The Plumed Horse
The Plumed Horse achieves a look of sophistication with a sleek and modern interior featuring a glass-encased, three story wine cellar housing 1,800 selections and over 20,0000 bottles. Michelin Star rated since its re-opening, Executive Chef/ Owner Peter Armellino has created a Contemporary California menu with a balance of meat and fish and a focus on elegant dining. His cuisine is showcased in both a la carte and tasting menus, including one made up of vegetables grown on our local “farm.” All the action in the kitchen can be viewed from the exclusive and private Chef’s table (due to its high demand the Chef’s table is not available to be booked online-please call for availability). Experience the best in service, décor, wine, and food at this Silicon Valley destination locale that Sunset magazine calls “the best splurge restaurant.”Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Plumed Horse - Best Restaurants in Saratoga ›
The Plumed Horse reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (96)fit for foodies (81)romantic (81)notable wine list (69)neighborhood gem (33)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (7)scenic view (4)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great food, weird musicWahayDined on 10/18/2014Going to posh restaurant with great food - however the music was kind of odd, they were playing Michael Jackson's Beat It and so forth. Would think a nice place like this would go more to a classical direction. Food was great nevertheless and service top notch!Special Features:
- MY Friends Birthday at The Horsesgm001Dined on 10/18/2014We share our birthday celebrations and have done so for over 30 years which typically now entails a dinner at the Plumed Horse. as alwys it was great. The food, the service, the atmosphere, the staff, the wine - all of it was excellent. It wouldn't be a birthday without the HORSESpecial Features:
- AmazingBreeAmberDined on 10/18/2014We had the tasting menu with wine pairing and it was fantastic! Every dish was divine - we were extremely full (maybe too full) by the very end, but in a good way! Amazing combinations across the board - perfect for the discerning foodie or anyone who appreciates delicate flavors combined in new ways. Service was ok - I have seen better (especially for the price point). I noticed it was a bit noisy as the dining room filled up. What was most distracting, however, was the rumbling/shaking of the floor anytime a server or cart walked/rolled by. They should consider reinforcing the flooring/structure to provide a quieter and more peaceful ambiance (again, especially for the price!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/15/2014The service and food definitely showed why they have a Michelin star. Loved it !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night until the endOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/10/2014Wonderful food and service. However, after splitting the check, those of us who paid by credit card were double charged a service charge on top of the already automatic service charge that was included in the original bill. Seemed a bit sneaky, but we caught it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurant & foodCaliASweetDined on 10/4/2014EVERYTHING was exquisite! The souffle appetizer is a must and my salmon was cooked perfectly. Also had the pleasure of trying a couple bites of my boyfriend's pork dish and it was super yummy. Foodie in me was very satisfied.Special Features:
- Simply greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2014Unbelievable food, fantastic wines, and a knowledgeable staff make for a culinary experience that is amazing. Valet parking is handy as well.Special Features:
- Exceptional Evening1stTimerDined on 10/3/2014We decided to come back to the Plumed Horse and give it another try after a terrible experience 7 years ago. Our experience this time around was night and day as compared to our last visit. This time, the food was outstanding and the service was top-notch. Our server, Julia, made our evening a comfortable, enjoyable and memorable one. We were there to celebrate the wife's birthday and left there extremely happy. Thank you. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- For that special night outOccaisionalFoodieDined on 10/2/2014All of the staff, from reception to dining, were extremely friendly and professional. The food, needless to say, was excellent. We will definitely be returning. Try the caviar!Special Features:
- Highly overrated, pretentious.JudyDined on 9/29/2014Very pricey, bite size servings, music you would expect in a pizza parlor. I can't remember the last time I listened to the top 40 while dining in what is supposed to be a top rated restaurant. The atmosphere is cold. It brings new meaning to the term minimalist. There was one 4 inch votive in the center of our oversized table. We won't be returning.
- Not what we expected from a 1 starMimiDawnDined on 9/27/2014We have eaten at many 2 & 3 star restaurants around the world and were quite disappointed in the Plumed Horse. The service was spotty at best, waited about 20 minutes before we were even addressed. Water bottle left 1/2 through on our table for us to pour ourselves. Only refilled my water once before this with the first bottle. Bread offered at beginning of meal but about 30 minutes in and then not again until the end of the meal which was 3 hours as we had chosen the tasting menu with wine pairing.. Just very disappointed as this is a local restaurant as we have just moved to the area..
- Food great but disappointedHappydinerDined on 9/27/2014Arrived to celebrate a good friend's birthday only to find out that the Philly Eagles had taken over the main dining room and we were put in a side room that ended up being crammed and noisy (along with all the other diners wanting to celebrate their own special occasions). It would have been nice to have been informed in advance since we were looking forward to enjoying the ambiance of their beautiful dining room as part of our celebration. After all, they called me to confirm we were coming. Still love the Plumed Horse but this was a disappointment!Special Features:
- All Around Great ExperienceMunchabunchDined on 9/18/2014We came here for our 10th anniversary and loved it. The design of the dining room is very modern and became a topic of discussion. The transitioning color of the lights in particular. The service was great from the hostess who greeted us to the Maître de. Since we're not wine drinkers, the waiter even considered a beer pairing with our meal and made a few suggestions. We both ordered the chef's tasting menu which, as one server put it towards the end of the meal, "is a commitment." We arrived at 7 and didn't leave until nearly 11. We did start with some caviar which takes time in itself, but it's a full evening to take the tasting road. The food was great with the pepper soufflé topping the list. Extra to add on but definitely worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scrumptious and MemorablePlumedFanDined on 9/18/2014Our admin assistant suggested the Plumed Horse after I was recently asked by my boss to invite a vendor out to dinner to show our company's appreciation for a job well done. It turned out to be an excellent tip from our admin. We enjoyed our dishes and the ambiance. I had the medium-rare ribeye steak cooked to perfection! The chef provided surprise appetizers that complemented the delectable bottles of wine. The service was impeccable and the dinner was a memorable success!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014We were at the chef's table and it was a fabulous experience. The ambience, decor, food and the service were just superb. We plan to go back in the near future for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we wentDisappointedDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I went here for our wedding anniversary and I'm glad we did. We had the tasting menu and pretty much everything was delicious. The champagne cart at the start of the evening was a nice touch that I haven't seen before. The service was generally good although things seemed a little rushed at the start of dinner but by the time we got to our 3rd dish I think everyone settled in for their evening. The ambiance here is fantastic. We loved the decor, the lounge-y feel of the bar with a great fireplace and view of downtown Saratoga. The wine display is pretty cool too. There's enough going on here that I think we'll come back sometime.Special Features:
- Celebrating wedding anniversarySupertouristeDined on 9/12/2014We enjoyed a very good evening at the Plummed Horse where we celebrated our 5 year wedding anniversary. Service was outstanding (I told them I was a few weeks pregnant so they did not try to serve me wine but instead made me discover rose lemonade), as well as food. We had the tasting menu, delicious except for the lamb (quite average course including the potato gratin) with special mention for the Parmesan soufflé and crab fondue. The room is a bit noisy compared to what you would expect but we were in a quiet area. My husband said the wines were good, some of them better than others. It is of course expensive but worth the money.Special Features:
- A fine dining experienceCydekDined on 9/8/2014First time at the Plumed Horse. We chose the Chef's testing menu with wine pairing. Both food and wines were amazing. Service was top notch. It is expensive but worth every penny in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nuschi25Dined on 8/29/2014Our dinner at the a Plumed Horse was outstanding! We had the tasting menu which was fantastic! The restaurant is very stylish and the service is impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining experienceDaveDined on 8/28/2014Best dining experience we have had for a long. This becomes our favorite restaurant in the South Bay. Especially wonderful service lead by waiter Joseph. Really nice atmosphere and excellent food. We will be back and soon.Special Features:
- AmazingMpeterDined on 8/26/2014We chose the tasting menu and it was amazing as well as the service and all the extra perks and attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/25/2014Highly recommended for business dinners as the food is amazing, the wine list is huge and the service is really good. The environment is great to hold a discussion with your customer(s) as the noise level is very low. Pricing is quite high but it deserves it as it is simply spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014We've been here before on a number of occasions, anniversary as well. This was the best experience by far, something changed, I don't know what. The service was perfect (last time we felt rushed). We ordered the Prix Fixe menu and everything was over the top good. Best course was the parmesan soufflé and lobster risotto with shaved truffles! The wine pairing was perfect and we always enjoy those because they know how to pair to best bring out the flavor of the wine and the food. They served a Pinot with one of the dishes, I can't remember which one, and although I'm not a Pinot fan, the pairing with the dish was fantastic. (My least favorite dish was the halibut.) Overall, the food was very, very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SquishieDined on 8/23/2014Was a little disappointed in the tasting menu some of the flavours needed to be balanced better. Overall good experience thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingladyonthelakeDined on 8/22/2014This was our first time at the Plumed Horse. We made two errors. One, we were dining before a 7:30 concert at Montalvo...big mistake. This fine restaurant is designed for slow, leisurely dining to fully savor and appreciate all the wonders it has to offer. Our second error was having a late lunch that day. One needs to be very hungry to experience the wonderful little surprises that are sent out by the chef in addition to the fabulous cuisine that is served. We were so enthralled with the service, the food and the fine wines and the ambiance that we are planning a trip back to the area solely for the purpose of dining at The Plumed Horse. Outstanding experience from the moment you walk through the door!Special Features:
- Fantastic 50th...Dmsc33Dined on 8/16/2014My girlfriend and I celebrated our 50ths here with our husbands and had a great evening. The mozzarella beignets were the best bite all night, and that honor did not come easily. The soufflé and halibut were also fantastic - 5stars, oh and the truffle fries we had in the bar. We also had the risotto, the watermelon salad, the salmon, and the rib-eye all excellent but a bit below those first dishes. The service was good but not great, especially in the bar. The chocolate dessert was also very good but we were probably too full to completely enjoy. We will be back.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnersbraunDined on 8/13/2014We came here to celebrate our wedding anniversary and did the tasting menu and one wine pairing. The food was exquisite and the service was impeccable. Such a special way to spend the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michelin experience.dorchuDined on 8/9/2014Excellent food & ambiance. Great for special occasion.Special Features:
- A Fantastic ExperienceDinkLifeDined on 8/9/2014Every aspect you would value in fine dining, I found beyond reproach at The Plumed Horse. The champagne cart was fabulous and fun. The Kathryn Kennedy Blanc de Blanc is a fantastic local gem that we enjoyed with the earlier courses. We also had a bottle of the Whetstone Hirsch Pinot Noir. Bottles are decanted in beautiful glassware at your table, adding to the ambience. We really enjoyed chatting with the sommelier about the specific terroir associated with Hirsch bottlings. It's worth noting that they offer by-the-glass Hirsch pinot as well. The cheese cart was a fun pre-dessert diversion, well-recommended. I'm a little surprised TPL has one Michelin star and Manresa has two, as we enjoyed our experience here quite a bit more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceJohnnieLuluVIPDined on 8/8/2014This was our first time dining at the Plumed Horse. The food, service, and wine list were outstanding. We celebrated a birthday and had a wonderful time. While this was our first time at the Plumed Horse, we plan to visit more frequently in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Dinner at Plumed HorseOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/7/2014We've dined here before and had a great time, but the food and service were even better than we remembered. We had the tasting menu this time, and each course was better than the one before. Exquisite prawns, halibut, gnocchi, lamb, etc. The little smoked trout cannoli gift from the kitchen was memorable, as was the entire meal. The service was extraordinary - that rare balance of attention, warmth and humor without being too familiar. And this started at the front door and included every service person. The bar and dining room are both lovely and vibrant; the music and lighting designed to enhance the experience. Very special.Special Features:
- Ooh la laNoshfanDined on 8/2/2014Tasting Menu was amazing. Service fantastic. So glad I found this restaurant!Special Features:
- Everything's great but the foodProfessorEdDined on 8/2/2014Great atmosphere, attentive service (but not intrusive), great wines (though they did not pair well with the food on the pairing menu), beautifully presented food. The only issue was the food. We had the tasting menu. The souffle is amazingly good! The lamb was like eating salt from a tablespoon. The rest of the dishes were bland.Special Features:
- Very special !29andCountingDined on 8/2/2014We've been going to the Plumed Horse since our first date, 29 years ago. Back then it was decorated in deep red velvet -- kind of early 'Reign of Terror' red -- but the food was great. These days the ambience is much more refined, but the food is still wonderful. The staff was very friendly and attentive making the evening perfect. We'll be back!Special Features:
- The worst restaurant in 12 months.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014We had been to this restaurant as far back as the late 1970's. The last time we went was a year ago and we still loved it. This time we had visitors from out of town and wanted to go somewhere special. The food could not be more disappointing. The menu had changed from last year and there were so few choices. The only good appetizer was the cheese soufflé. The tasting menu had too many dishes that we didn't like. The main courses were again extremely limited. Three of us ordered the pressed chicken and one of us ordered the pork. The pork was ok, but the chicken was the most tasteless thing I have ever eaten. I had pressed chicken in NYC and I ate my fingers. Not here. We are so disappointed and won't go back.
- Stellar Dining ExperienceThankfulLifeBlessingsDined on 8/1/2014Everything about the Plumed Horse lives up to its name; the food, wine, staff, and ambience are superior. We enjoyed the Chefs Tasting Menu for an incredible meal. The soufflé, uni, and dungeness crab fondue is over the moon. Don't miss that. The wine selection at Plumed Horse is also a good reason to stop by. Sommelier was extremely helpful in recommending wines that paired perfectly with our food. This was a special occasion for us and we will never forget our memorable evening at Plumed Horse. Looking forward to taking friends and family for more culinary treats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion Place OnlyCruventuresVIPDined on 8/1/2014The chef paring menu looked fantastic but if you don't want to order that the number of menu options is a bit too limited. I suggest a few more options. Great staff and beautiful environment. The wine list is so large it's overwhelming on an ipad, but congratulations giving the knowledgeable wine drinker a great range of options.Special Features:
- Special WelcomejackVIPDined on 7/24/2014If you are a Pinot Noir lover, especially, delicate and elegance ones, you should visit this place. Burgundy wine's subtle elements are only enjoyable after certain amount of time, say 10 years, and they have ample amount of list of well aged burgundy. Of course, foods are perfectly matched with wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saratoga has world-class diningJohnInNaplesVIPDined on 7/23/2014We were heading to the Mountain Winery for a concert and dinner for my girlfriend's birthday. Since Manresa is closed due to a fire I checked to see what else was available and everyone pointed me to the Plumed Horse. We had an amazing tasting paired with wines and have it among our top meals. The service was impeccable and they paid close attention to our special requests. We are looking to returning again soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/18/2014The service we received during our dining experience was impeccable. My boyfriend and I are planning to return to try their tasting menu.Special Features: