The Plough and the Stars
123 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: $30 and under
The Plough and the Stars
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ploughstars.com/
- Phone: 2157330300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:30am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, International, Irish
- Executive Chef: Ishmael
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Plough has a Mezzanine level for private parties a room with full bar for sit down dinners or cocktail & hors d’ouvres receptions. a 107" TV, sound system & AV equipment available. Perfect for rehearsal dinners, bridal showers, baby showers, birthday's, business meetings or celebrations of any sort! Please call for availability & details.
- Private Party Contact: Marion Ryder 215 498 2367
- Entertainment: Join us everyone Friday and Saturday from 6-9pm for LIVE music with Tyrone's own, Raymond Coleman! Sunday evenings feature our traditional Irish Session! Our session is open to the public and If you play an instrument,please join us from 5-9pm!
- Special Events: Open and serving a special menu Thanksgiving day! Call 215.733.0300 for more details! -- Open 'til 2am 365 days a year! -- Join us every weekend for LIVE music! Fridays & Saturdays Irishman Raymond Coleman sings everyone's favorite ballads and Sunday from 5-9 we have our Traditional Irish Session -- all musicians welcome! -- Open Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day! Live Music on the Holidays!
A word from The Plough and the Stars
At the Plough & the Stars the owners are determined to bring the true taste of Ireland to Philadelphia, our food is described as Western European with a strong Irish influence. We were awarded by Citysearch as Philadelphia's Best Brunch. We have been featured numerous times on the Food Network and have cooked at the James Beard House in New York. Enjoy our famous Mussells Veloute, Striped Bass with Potato Crusted Scales or Guinness Casserole. Or if you prefer you can dine on our casual bar fare. We have installed the most sophisticated beer system in the US, imported directly from Ireland and installed by Guinness technicians. Each pint of the 12 beers on tap is perfect. The atmosphere created by the simple, yet powerful decor and fills a visitor to the Plough & the Stars, with an overwhelming feeling of awe and inspiration. The stage is set for an enjoyable and memorable dining experience. Weekend nights turn the Plough into one of Old City's favorite bar scenes!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
The Plough and the Stars - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
The Plough and the Stars reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (11)great for brunch (8)great for outdoor dining (7)neighborhood gem (6)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (4)special occasion (4)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)fit for foodies (2)romantic (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- sneakyjohnpfarDined on 7/26/2014Ordered two menu choices (1 per person) for dinner and was charged for "restaurants week" which was more expensive then the items ordered off the menu.. won't be coming back.. as that was sneaky, vegetable pasta and pot roast dinner 40.00 a piece!!! Won't go back and won't recommend
- Excellent MealOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/26/20143 of us went for the Old City Restaurant week. However, we ordered ala carte instead since we aren't really dessert eaters. The warm tomato and brie appetizer was fabulous - could have made an entire meal from that! We were seated upstairs with a nice view of the street. Much quieter up there as there was a "pub crawl" group downstairs. Not our first meal there and it won't be our lastSpecial Features:
- True Irish Barmet1021Dined on 7/20/2014Incredible food and our service could not have been better. We sat outside and you get an amazing view of the city. They had a true Irish band playing inside. I highly recommend this restaurant for an amazing old city dining experience.Special Features:
- AmazingKingEyesVIPDined on 7/13/2014One of the hottest places in the whole city! Truly amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service in old cityGiselleDined on 7/10/2014My husband chose The Plough & the Stars for his informal birthday dinner. We love it here and were not disappointed! Our server was very nice and attentive. The food was excellent, as always. I highly recommend the braised chicken, yum! Guinness pot roast, pork tenderloins got high marks, too. Very casual, artsy vibe, historic architecture, a fireplace, and big screen tv. We will definitely be back ;-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch menuKnitsDined on 6/8/2014Lovely brunch here- menu has good choices of traditional brunch items with Irish twists to some. There is some outside seating on high tops. They also have Iridh music sometimes, tho not when we were there. We have eaten here several times and the quality is quite consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decentniklovenightDined on 5/24/2014Food was good. Music was super loud for a restaurant. Good drinks. Server took a long time tto come over and to get us anything we ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Lunch?worldhooferDined on 5/19/2014I booked a reservation based on the menu selections listed on Open Table. This menu, meant to be helpful in selecting a restaurant, was nonexistent in the restaurant. Hoping for some inspired fare, the menu was ho-hum: burgers, fish and chips, stews, pubby food that while good wasn't great. Very disappointing for a graduation luncheon. The restaurant isn't actually on Chestnut Street ... it's on 2nd street, mid-block. No way to know that until spending 20 minutes looking for it. Our server was very efficient and friendly; she was the best part of our entire experience. Sorry to say I would not recommend Plough and The Stars to anyone; I'd be too embarrassed.
- Graduation lunchJudiVIPDined on 5/18/2014We had lovely graduation day lunch with a gathering of 10 family and friends. The food and service were excellent - atmosphere charming and location in the historic district worked out perfectly. The plough omelet and reuben sandwiches were big hits!Special Features:
- Food was good service not so hotLadyDiDined on 5/11/2014We have come to Plough several years for Mother's Day brunch and always had a wonderful time. The food and drinks were still good but service was very disappointing .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but much too loudBermudagirlDined on 5/10/2014We came here because they just started carrying the Scottish beer, Tennents. Met up wih another couple and were seated on the upper level almost directly above singer/guitar player. While he was good, it was absolutely impossible to hold a con ersation. We went elsewhere for coffee. Hostess/manager stopped me pn the way out and I complained about it and all she could say was "I asked him to turn it down". Who is in charge - management or entertainers? I think, since the bar was hopping with people singing along, drinkers are more profitable than diners so the choice was made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was wantingLawrenceDined on 4/27/2014The Food was outstanding, but the food service not so much...timing of the meals all getting to the table was about five min apart...often we were waiting for someone to help us with drinks and are food server tried to take our order (party of seven) without paper then soon realized she needed something to take the orders with...not a big deal, just starts off the meal poor. as I said the food was really great, the music was fun and drinks were well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 225 reviews are from the The Plough and the Stars reviews archive.
- Great Irish Food and AtmosphereDaveHVIPDined on 3/22/2014Good place to go for beer and pub food. We were there for a birthday party which was a bar only event. Got there early enough to have some food. I ordered the Plough Tapas plate which was very good. Nice amount of roasted peppers, olives, hummus, mozzarella (fresh), and smoked salmon. I had an order of their buffalo wings and wasn't very impressed. They were heavily breaded with sauce poured over. Not a big fan of breaded wings. My son had the shepherds pie which he said was very good. Nicely done crust and excellent savory flavor inside.Special Features:
- Great Irish pubKathDined on 3/16/2014Great irish pub year round! sundays irish session music the best , celtic football viewing. From the bar menu I had fish and chips on a saint Paddy's weekend, Unfortunately they were very greasy, but the fish inside the fried breading was good. The beer was good! We also had curry chicken which was pretty tasty. A fun time and staff very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun on St Patty's DayDisappointedDined on 3/16/2014Step dancing, Great Music, and Terrific Food.. Who could ask for more ? Not us ! Plough remains one of our favorite places to dine in Philadelphia ! Service is always perfect. We have Never been disappointed , and we have been coming here to dine ever since it opened.Special Features:
- Full Irish BrunchBootsnShortsDined on 3/16/2014It was excellent as it has been in the past. Full Irish for breakfast and also the omlette du jour. Nothing but rave reviews all around. Food was timely, well prepared and quite enjoyable. Service was excellent. Not a bad word to be said.Special Features:
- great food!karenVIPDined on 3/9/2014we expect pretty food comfort food at an Irish bar, but this exceeds expectation. The tomato soup is the best I have had, and the dinners are amazing - guiness roast with potatoes and braised chicken - outstanding. An Irish band sits at a table and plays which is great without being so loud you cannot have a conversation. The building is an old bank, so high ceilings and a great Old Philadelphia look with an Irish flare. The only "hoky" part was the giant screen with a loop of Irish scenery - took away from the old world charm of the place a bit for me. We are planning to come back - it is really a great find.Special Features:
- We had brunch, so can't commentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/9/2014We had brunch, so can't comment on dinner. The service was friendly and thoughtful, and the atmosphere allowed conversation and there was no rush at all. The food was very good, inventive and fresh. The poached pear salad was particularly great, as was the classic Irish Coffee.Special Features:
- Always SolidGTicemanDined on 3/9/2014I don't come here enough for a bite. I am a bit over the nightlife, but brunch or any other meal is outstanding here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot in Old CItyBobnKathleenDined on 2/22/2014Easy to get to and fabulous food. Saturday brunch is a great treat. The home baked breads is a fabulous start to a wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outsanding surprisePatrickVIPDined on 2/15/2014Wonderful food, for a hugely enjoyable evening. Drinks and food were outstanding. The lamb was out of the world good with a mint gravySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisedFritzDined on 2/14/2014Was expecting an Irish Pub dining experience and ended up with a truly great dining experience at "pub" prices. Will return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!DLRdatenightDined on 2/8/2014Dinner was great! The steak was the best I've ever had, mussels were delicious and the truffle cake was to die for!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening with friendsklb22Dined on 2/8/2014I've been the Plough and the Stars many times and have always had a great time. This time was no exception - the Guinness Casserole was great as usual and my guest loved the Sesame Tuna Loin the potato hash and balsamic reducition were perfect. For dessert we tried the flourless chocolate cake and the philadelphia style ice cream - both very good. If you're looking for a place to enjoy great food in a relaxed environment you can't go wrong with The Plough and Stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fod was excellent and plentyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/31/2014Fod was excellent and plenty of it I would recommend to anyoneSpecial Features:
- Food was great and our waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/30/2014Food was great and our waitress was so pleasant and attentive
- YummySMS1093Dined on 1/30/2014The food was fabulous! Loved the poach pear salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun placeAstrojoVIPDined on 1/29/2014Went for restaurant week w 4 people and we all had a very good time.Special Features:
- Great steak!TenderoniDined on 1/28/2014The food was delightful. The ambiance was exquisite. The attentiveness of the owners/managers was pleasant. They made sure everyone enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Tuna Loin is a mustgivemecakeDined on 1/27/2014Dined in for restaurant week, no complaints other than when we asked the hostess for a warm seat, she sat us in front of a window, and you could definitely feel the draft. This is a shame because part of the reason I wanted to try this place is because of the fireplace. Service was good, but our waitress neglected to bring us water even though it was the first thing we asked for. Overall, a good experience, I'd recommend it.Special Features:
- Surprise Drink MenuFalskDined on 1/24/2014Came here for Restaurant Week, so I was already pumped for a great meal, but discovering the spiked hot chocolate was the best part of the night. Would definitely come back for drinks during the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great timeNicoleDined on 1/19/2014We had dinner reservations and stayed for the awesome Irish music and friendly bartenders. Can't wait to go back. Food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fireplace...perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/4/2014great fireplace...perfect for a winter evening with good comfort food.Special Features:
- Good not GreatJgsjrVIPDined on 1/4/2014If you are looking for a friendly spot for a beer and decent food this place works. The service is good and the wait staff is friendly- so overall a good sport with reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/28/2013Every time I go to the Plough and the Stars I always have a great experience. The food is always great, the staff is always friendly and I love the music whether it is Raymond Coleman playing or traditional session.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Arden LunchgioiasDined on 12/15/2013Six of us ate lunch here before our 2pm matinee at the Arden. The food was excellent and the service also. We have eaten here a number of times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Grand TimePhillySaxDined on 12/15/2013There's nothing like a traditional Irish breakfast for Sunday brunch at this holiday- festive Irish pub/restaurant. The menu is varied and we all enjoyed our selections, seated near a well-tended fireplace and a decorated Christmas Tree at least 25 feet tall. The Wasabi Bloody Mary was just right! We will return. Great beer selection, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbearable noise levelinner34VIPDined on 12/14/2013The food was good, the service was great and the restaurant is clean and beautiful....but the noise was unbearable. During dinner we were basically screaming at each other just to barely hear what the other said.Special Features:
- the food was fine, not great,moishVIPDined on 12/1/2013the food was fine, not great, but not poor either. Service was very mediocre, appetizer was brought out with the main courses, so we cancelled it. Waiter was new and nice, but did not have a clue about being a waiter. Manager helped out to make it go smoothly. i would not rush to return, but it was not terrible and had good price point.
- Homey ThanksgivingLynnVIPDined on 11/28/2013We had a delicious and generous Thanksgiving meal here. We appreciated all the special touches -- white tablecloths and seasonal decor -- that created a lovely holiday atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.