The Plaza Cafe
61 Hill Street
Southampton, NY 11968Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Plaza Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.plazacafe.us/
- Phone: 6312839323
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Available for Private Events
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Douglas Gulija
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The Plaza Cafe can cater small, intimate formal events in your home or larger tent/ballroom events of up to 225 guests at the neighboring Southampton Inn. Chef/owner Doug Gulija is always in attendance making sure the evening is a memorable one.
- Private Party Facilities: The Plaza Cafe can be closed for a private event for up to 70 guests and is the ideal setting for a private party and/or business meeting.
- Private Party Contact: Bari Citron 6312839323x
A word from The Plaza Cafe
'The Best Seafood Restaurant on Long Island. Period' is what food critic Peter Gionotti of Newsday calls The Plaza Cafe. Along with its recent three and half star rating from Newsday, The Plaza Cafe has also garnered 3 stars from the New York Times as well is being listed in The Zagat Surveys Top Restaurants of America. The Plaza Cafe has been owned and operated for the past 18 years by Chef Doug Gulija. The dining room has just gone through a makeover to give it more of a relaxing/'beachy' look and a new bar menu has been added. Tucked away behind the Southampton Movie Theater and across from The Southampton Inn it offers an eclectic menu as well as an award winning wine list along with friendly, professional service by a well trained staff. Come and experience for yourselves one of the best dining experiences in the Hamptons.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
The Plaza Cafe - Best Restaurants in Southampton ›
The Plaza Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (34)special occasion (27)neighborhood gem (23)romantic (18)notable wine list (10)good for groups (6)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Subtle and superbHampton147Dined on 10/17/2014The chef has the great gift of combining flavors with creativity and restraint, to produce an entree that allows the freshest seafood to delight the diners. The wine list is fairly priced and there are many choices that compliment the dishes. The pace yourself...the desserts should not be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ned355Dined on 9/27/2014The kid who was our waiter was pleasant and knowledgeable. The room was very noisey and dark.... The waiter gave us a torch to read the menu. The food was good and arrived in 17 minutes. Desserts boring
- Best Seafood on Long IslandBKCSDined on 9/21/2014Plaza Cafe is the best restaurant that we have been to on Long Island. Great menu, great chef, nice people and a beautiful room. The food was superb. The desert was a special delight. A great food experience and they do not rush you. The food presentation was beautiful and all of the food had such terrific flavors!!! I highly recommend it for a special occasion or to visit when in South Hampton.Special Features:
- jooeDined on 9/13/2014This may be the most overpriced restaurant on Long island
- Wonderful dining experience.dine2niteDined on 8/30/2014The food was excellent and the staff was extremely attentive. I will defiantly dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014We had very high expectations and they were met and even surpassed...Will certainly recommend and fully intend to visit again in the near future A must for any fan of interesting sea food...noise level permitted quiet conversation and service was attentive and professionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite...EastEndGuyDined on 8/29/2014Plaza Cafe is my favorite restaurant on the entire South Fork of Long Island, and there's a good reason: It's fancy without being pretentious, friendly, and the food (seafood is the specialty, much of it as fresh as it gets) is always exquisite and creative. I've never had a bad meal here, and I've had some absolutely excellent ones. Our recent trip was no exception: our server, Barri (sp?), was terrific--knowledgeable, efficient, and a glowing smile. The food was spectacular. And a note in my Open Table reservation that it was an anniversary was noted--we got a lovely message, with candles, on our desserts. If you haven't tried the Plaza Cafe when visiting Southampton, you're missing out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousMblongislandDined on 8/27/2014The service was excellent. I had the fish tacos and my daughter had a soup. The taste was very good. What I didn't realize was that the bar menu is tapas size food. We shared a very good dessert. The chef is very caring about the quality of the food and wishes for everyone to be pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Loud TableAMKoVIPDined on 8/22/2014Plaza Café has a reasonably varied menu with some stand-out preparations (the seafood "shepherd's pie" is noteworthy). Generally, the place has a moderate noise level thanks to the high ceiling, even when there are vigorous golf groups who are staying at the Southampton Inn, on whose grounds the restaurant sits. On our last visit, however, there was a table of 8 doctors and pharma reps who were simply out of control, a number of them really howling like monkeys. I complained to the waiter, who of course agreed that they were out of line, but nobody went to ask them to quiet down. I cannot imagine that we were the only ones disturbed by the noise, and I noted that the excellent hostess seated all arrivals as far from them as she could.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014The service was excellent, and the food was outstanding. This is a gem of a restaurant in the heart of Southampton.Special Features:
- Terrific FindSteveB2BDined on 8/16/2014The Plaza Cafe was as advertised. I requested a quiet table and we were seated in a corner right near the fireplace. Truly outstanding since this was an anniversary event. The food was outstanding and the service was just the best. It was concerned. Our glasses of water and wine were refilled with concern. The chef's complement of seared scallops was a surprise and wonderful. Don't miss an opportunity to come here for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014We celebrated my husbands birthday this past Friday. We both had the special appetizer and the lobster and shrimp pot pies. They were amazing!! For dessert the chef had a candle waiting for my husband!! The staff was attentive and friendly! We will be going back the next time we are in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't get better than thisjoedog82Dined on 8/12/2014Thirty-five years in Bridgehampton and Plaza Cafe is far and away the best restaurant my wife and I have visited. Outstanding in every category for a fine restaurant anywhere in the world - that includes Manhattan.Special Features:
- Best Seafood Within 125miles of NYCStraightTalkerDined on 8/6/2014To put is succinctly, this is one of the finest restaurants within 125 miles of NYC. We sometimes drive 160 mi roundtrip from home just to have dinner there and well worth it every time. The food, the staff, the Chef and his concern for his patron's experience put it at the very top of our favorite restaurant's list. DONT MISS IT if at all possible.Special Features:
- Not recommendedDjsj47Dined on 8/1/2014Extremely expensive for the quality of food and extreme lack of ambiance.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantLaurence86Dined on 7/26/2014Great, elegant dishes. Not huge American portions; well cooked, well presented, good service. We've eaten in a fair number of restaurants in the Hamptons, this is the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs fine tuningBernDined on 7/26/2014Had a weak cosmo and husband had a scotch with flat soda. My meal at $49.00 was tasteless (salmon). Needs some type of seasonings. Husband had the fish pot pie and he also said it was tasteless. Won't be back. Can have a $210.00 anywhere but with all the competition out there can't believe it is still in business!
- Great signature dish!LisaakDined on 7/21/2014The lobster-shrimp Shepards pie was great as always! It's filled with lobster, shrimp and other goodies topped with a chive potato crust!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect For Celebrating!JuliaBVIPDined on 7/14/2014Hosted a group of 9 to celebrate! As always, the food was divine! The service was elegant and attentive! The special order cake (made in house) was fun and delicious! The table was arranged so we could all speak to one another. Who could ask for more?Special Features:
- Southampton GemmarkVIPDined on 7/12/2014Best seafood restaurant in the Hamptons! A bit pricey--but worth it. Comfortable surroundings. I had striped bass which was prepared wonderfully and was the best that I had ever eaten.Special Features:
- Great foodDiningdelightDined on 7/3/2014This was by far one of the best meals I ever had. I can't think of one negative thing to say about the food. The waitress was very pleasant, however, we had to ask for bread as well as more water as our glass was empty most of the night. The atmosphere was romantic and special and you did not feel rushed to finish and get out. Definitely going back.Special Features:
- Favorite Hampton RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/29/2014I have been spending weekends at my Southampton summer home for the past 20 years and have eaten at most of the popular dining spots. The Plaza Cafe is by far my fovorite and the place I return to freqeuntly for wonderful food and service. Their Sunday night prix fixe dinner is a bargain and can include a movie ticket at a small additional amount.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 113 reviews are from the The Plaza Cafe reviews archive.
- Amazing SouthamptonBettyVIPDined on 6/6/2014This was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. The menu had something for every mood. The food was prepared uniquely and was delectable!! Kudos to Chef and staff..Special Features:
- jimandannDined on 6/5/2014we love the Plaza Café....from the service, to the décor, especially the food, and the warmth of the owner/chef- Doug !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent every timeKkzz3VIPDined on 5/25/2014I have been here several times, too many to count... And it is excellent every single time! The food and service are unparalleled !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around excellentKingponchVIPDined on 5/24/2014We had dinner for two. Ordered the soft shell crabs and tuna appetizers. Both were prepared with care and full of flavor. The entrees were a big surprise. Literally the swordfish steak was large enough to feed four individuals. Grilled to perfection I ate it all! We also ordered the lobster pot pie, very unique and well done. Certainly look forward to returning and trying the rest of the menu items. Thank you for the great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A KeeperOnthetownVIPDined on 5/24/2014Definitely will return. A tad pricey but quality was quite high. We had an excellent dinner, service was both efficient and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding experience!Labibi2014Dined on 5/24/2014Excellent food and service . The MAHI MAHI and the duck were outstanding . Would definitely go back and recommend it to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luluDined on 4/25/2014although the decor was a bit bland, the cuisine was excellent. Our group ordered a vairiety of items and all were very pleased with the results. The one major criticism is that they served our martinis in tiny glasses. CheapSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Delicious FoodStraightTalkerDined on 4/5/2014We visited again on a night Plaza was short handed due to a car accident. The Chef himself served us our salad to help out. We both ordered the Mahi-Mahi encrusted with Macadamia over a puree of plantains and chorizo..The dish was simply out of this world delicious.Restaurant is quite, fire roaring,staff is warm and friendly. Except for some minor delays caused by the staff shortage, it was an excellent meal.Special Features:
- Great food with skittish serviceNYCAFoodieDined on 3/28/2014Overall the food was very good at this quite place. I had read positive reviews & thought I'd try their Restaurant Week menu. An update in bar/wine offerings as well as more organized service would greatly beneficial. The decor is dated & the interior, which has great potential, needs some maintenance attention. The cafe was not too busy yet the hard suffices do not absurd any sound, so it was probably louder than it could have been.
- good foodsouthshoreDined on 3/28/2014My wife loves this place, I took her their for our anniversary and she is always asking to go back. The chef came to our table to answer questions she had about the wine list on a busy night. It was very impressive. My only wish is that the portion size would be just a touch bigger. For the price an appetizer and entrée should fill you up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Plaza Café is one of theSag4Dined on 3/27/2014The Plaza Café is one of the finest restaurants in the world! This is an extraordinarily great place. Doug is a genius of a chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining GemDining4funDined on 3/26/2014Plaza Cafe is a terrific choice for fine dining in an elegant atmosphere. Each table was greeted by the chef/owner Doug. I went with friends for a "girls night out" and it was relaxed and refined all at once. Food portions were generous and the service was attentive. Definitely a place to keep going back to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you are looking for theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/7/2014If you are looking for the place to impress than Plaza Cafe is what you been searching for. The service, food and atmosphere complement each other. You always leave with a smile and a promise to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdid themselves again!JuliaBVIPDined on 2/8/2014Had another sumptuous meal, served flawlessly by the raging fire! Who could ask for more on a frigid winter evening! If you haven't been to the Plaza Cafe, you must try it! Try the prix fix, it's amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was our first time at thisWhyanicknameVIPDined on 1/18/2014It was our first time at this restaurant, we were celebrating our anniversary. They appeared busy for a Saturday night in the winter which was good. Our waiter seemed to forget that we existed from the start. We were left waiting for our drinks and waiting to order for quite a bit. I got the attention of another waiter to see if she could help. From that moment on every thing was perfect. She served us for the rest of the night and was one of the best servers we have had. Food was delicious. I had the seafood "sheppard's pie" which was more like a Lobster Newburg and my wife had the swordfish. Both dishes were prepared perfectly and had wonderful taste. We finished with the apple pecan dessert, which was outstanding.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/10/2014The food was excellent, and the service and ambiance were great. I'll definitely be back next time I'm out in the Hamptons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS AMAZING...KarenDined on 1/4/2014We were greeted very warmly on a cold winter night. The room is really pretty and we were seated in front of the fireplace (best seat in the place, I think). My husband and I had the oysters as an appetizer. They were delicious. The waitress told us there were a limited number of specials still available. The entree special was a grilled swordfish with butter poached lobster, pan-seared sea scallop and mussels in a tomato fennel broth, topped with an AMAZING lobster aioli. We both ordered it and… WOW! For dessert we had the apple pecan cake. This is one of the best desserts I've ever had. I usually go for a chocolate dessert, but this is a MUST HAVE!!!! Overall, a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/28/2013Delicious seafood. Not inexpensive, but well worth it. I had tuna and my wife had salmon. A wonderful evening. We can't wait to go back. We sat next to a roaring fire in the fireplace and it was soooo relaxing. Staff is very attentive to details.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.