The Plaza Bistro
420 First Street East
Sonoma, CA 95476Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
The Plaza Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://theplazabistro.com/
- Phone: 7079964466
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM.
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 AM - 4:00 PM, Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM.
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00 PM - 8:30 PM, Friday: 4:00 PM - 10:00 PM, Saturday: 4:00 PM - 9:30 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer full catering service. For menus, please contact the restaurant.
- Private Party Facilities: Please see our banquet menu for options. Our Private room can accommodates from 20 to 80 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Martin Chavez 7079964466
- Entertainment: The Plaza Bistro offers Live Jazz while you dine every Friday and Saturday, 7-10 PM. For more information, please contact the restaurant or go to www.sonomavalleyjazzsociety.org.
A word from The Plaza Bistro
The Plaza Bistro combines traditional homemade Italian fare with fresh and delicious California cuisine. Whether you are in the mood for pasta, seafood, steak or small dishes, you’ll find it in our casual friendly dining room. Our chef takes special care in every dish by selecting the best ingredients Sonoma has to offer. Inviting courtyard seating, live jazz every Friday & Saturday. Open daily for lunch and dinner. Brunch Saturday and Sunday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Plaza Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (9)good for groups (6)great for outdoor dining (5)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (4)fit for foodies (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)special occasion (2)romantic (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Jazz NightShayDined on 9/5/2014We enjoyed our evening, mainly because there was a jazz ensemble playing. We loved our waiter, but they needed more servers to take the load off his large group. Initially, it took quite a while to be waited on. My husband ordered the steak and it was over cooked and had so-so flavor. I had the pork and I enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Great Jazz!flyingchanges33Dined on 9/5/2014Good Italian food, great wine. The recommended strawberry shortcake was not very good. Great jazz in the back room!
- HadrianDined on 9/2/2014Service was attentive and cheerful. My main dish was overcooked, but tasty. Overall, a pleasant evening.Special Features:
- Hit or misslocalyokelDined on 8/30/2014Saturday night dinner with extended family. Service was very good, responsive, friendly and knowledgeable. Nice atmosphere. Food showed up quickly; did not experience any delays as noted by others. Food quality was patchy. Salads were tasty and fresh and somewhat creative. Desserts were yummy. Entrees were hit or miss. Their signature chicken dish was overcooked and tough, actually difficult to cut yet with an excellent creamy sauce and perfectly cooked veggies. Chops were good. Fish was OK, nothing special. Risotto was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem on the SquarehfiersDined on 7/14/2014We We're looking for a nice dinner after a long day of driving and Plaza Bistro was a perfect spot. Service was impeccable, five star. Little things mattered like not clearing my husband's plate while I was still eating. Food was outstanding! We both started with beet salad. I had homemade gnocchi and they accommodated by preference for the sauce. Melted in my mouth. Hubbie had risotto with sweet potato, very yummy. Strawberry shortcake for dessert was nicely presented and very good. Coffee was a little weak, we like it stronger. Overall a great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CajunVolsDined on 7/13/2014Bus boy could use some Scope. Food needed more seasoning. Waitress was good.
- Great food, live musicMusicianDined on 7/11/2014This restaurant has Friday night live jazz, varied seating options (bar, couch, dining tables) and well prepared Italian food. You can sit with the band in view or opt to dine in a separate room. The musicians have always been excellent when I've attended. Our waitress was friendly and professional. Corkage is $15. Menu items included vegetarian and fish options. After the show, the long time owner was kind enough to show us the interesting art pieces displayed in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stay away at holidaysDCGeoffDined on 7/4/2014The day my group ate at The Plaza Bistro, it took two hours after we were seated for our food to arrive. We watched as other surrounding tables experienced the same. Our waitress put on a good face, but the restaurant was poorly managed and utterly unprepared for what I would call a medium sized holiday crowd. Worst of all, the restaurant didn't even acknowledge the significant delays at each step (bread, drink orders, drinks, appetizers, entrees) of our meal. The food itself was enjoyable and the wine perfectly adequate. The restaurant's location is excellent, being immediately off the square in downtown Sonoma. It's probably worth a try, though I'd be very wary of going at peak rush.Special Features:
- Terrible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/4/2014Waited over 2 hours for food which was ok at best.
- Excellent food and entertainmentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/20/2014A casual friday evening dining experience, with Friday night jazz entertainment - the Hot Club of SF. We enjoyed every dish that we ordered. Each one was full of flavor and very tasty. We began with the lamp lollipops, mussels with italian sausage, for dinner we ordered the Bolognese rigatoni, butter leaf salad and for dessert the strawberry shortcake. Excellent wait staff. Wonderful evening. We will return.Special Features:
- inexpensive winnerLorryDined on 5/24/2014After spending 5 nights at the area's "top" restaurants and spending $$$$, we decided on Plaza Bistro for our last evening. We each had great pasta, yummy dessert and wonderfully friendly service. Don't have to spend lots to get a good meal in Sonoma. Loved it.Special Features:
- The following 57 reviews are from the The Plaza Bistro reviews archive.
- Everything we wantedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014There were 5 of us and requested quiet table. It was perfect. Service people all friendly and patient. Food was excellent. A very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad food. Bad drink.OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/23/2014My crispy polenta with mushroom ragout appetizer was supposed to have a balsamic reduction but when it arrived it was two polenta bites completely submerged in a tan(ish) water. I asked where the balsamic reduction was and she answered under the broth. BROTH? Rest of the food so-so. Terrible cocktail.
- Given the foodie competitionMicheleb0706VIPDined on 4/5/2014Given the foodie competition in Sonoma, we expected more. Our server lacked empathy when so many things were wrong. The menu is very small, and early dinner on a Saturday night had two items unavailable. Overall it was a disappointing experience.
- Wonderful meal!MALNDined on 3/16/2014We dined at The Plaza Bistro for brunch and had a wonderful meal. The service was timely, professional, and the food was wonderful! I had a fabulous Crab Cake Benedict that I will definitely be remembering for future brunches. We will return again in the future to try other wonderful dishes from their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plaza Bistro, SonomaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/15/2014Great food and a wonderful staff make the Plaza Bistro a place I will return to with anticipation. Dinner was one to remember and the great wine list offered perfect pairings to excellent dishes. A warm greeting by the owner and friendly attentive staff created a very relaxed dinning experience. Thank You Plaza Bistro!! Calvin ChaseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, Not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/14/2014Took 10 minutes for the Maitre'D to return to the front so we could check in. In the meantime, some obvious "regulars" arrived. Don't mind regulars getting preferential service (we have our favorites/regulars, too). but Matre'D totally ignored us . Luckily they were a very nice couple and the woman said that he should check us in first, then seat them. Service horribly slow. We were not in a rush so not a huge deal, but waited 15 minutes to get even water/bread/acknowledged by the waitress. She turned out to be pleasant, but clearly over-worked. Appetizer arrived ice cold. Took a couple minutes to get her attention to take it back. 2nd time around it was good. Rest of the meal was very tasty. Just don't know that I'd bother going back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scrumptious LuncheonBreadmanDined on 3/10/2014We felt welcomed from the moment we entered the Plaza Bistro. We were given our choice of tables looking out on the Plaza. The service was impeccable, filling my soft drink several times before the meal arrived. I ate a wonderful steak sandwich with onion rings on a yummy sourdough bread. My wife loved her salmon sandwich with tomato and bacon on sourdough bread. The ambience was quiet with music in the background. A very pleasurable experience .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely sunday morningpumpkinDined on 3/9/2014excellent, reasonable Sunday brunch. Complimentary Mimosa- very nice touchSpecial Features:
- Live Jazz in BackroomOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/21/2014Love the live music every Friday night 7-10pm. Also good happy hour Monday-Friday 4-7pm. $5 bar food menu and $5 drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Great ServicecgbrennanVIPDined on 2/16/2014We really enjoyed this restaurant. The food was exceptional and our server was polite, attentive, and friendly. My husband and I split the beet salad with a side of grilled salmon and the rigatoni, which were excellent. I enjoyed the red wine flight, which was quite generous, and my husband had a glass of they're house chardonnay. I would return to this restaurant and recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nobody puts baby in the cornerHappyDinerVIPDined on 2/14/2014Went on Friday night. Sat at a table by the window in the corner which usually would have been a really good seat. Not this time. They proceeded to move the table next to us so that it essentially block us into the corner. Although others were seated after us they received water, bread and drinks well before us. I guess that's what happens when you are boxed in. Drinks took forever to get and the waitress would literally come over and look at our table and walk away even though you could clearly see the wine glasses were empty and so were the water glasses. She came "near" our table 3 times before I was finally able to flag her down to get that wine. Risotto could have used some more flavor, salt.Special Features:
- Good food, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/14/2014I made reservations for Valentines day; and even though my date flaked on me for dinner, my brother, and I had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been betterMikeluvs2eatDined on 2/14/2014Have eaten at this establishment several times..Used Open Table for reservations..Called to make sure we had a table in the Backroom with the Music..Upon arrival a rude man said he didn't have our table in the Backroom.then preceded to ignore me ..Finally seated..Our server was not very efficent. my roasted beet salad bland, My girlfriend couldn't get a staight answer on what the flight of sparkling wines included.Chickren was dry with very little of advertised cream sauce. my veal portions looked like a kiddie meal and was chewy Had to ask for fresh pepper as she never offered. Never had that happen before, we eat all over the Bay Area. All previous experiences were very good, Not this one.Will try again. ONE MORE TIME. hope you re.ad thisSpecial Features:
- We went for Valentnes Day.SteveDined on 2/14/2014We went for Valentnes Day. Thought everything was very good especially for such a busy night. We will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchicstodayDined on 2/8/2014Had a lovely brunch for 3. We all had the same thing - so my review is based on the Eggs Benedict. It was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch!EnjoyDined on 1/19/2014Our group enjoyed our lunch, especially the appetizers. This was a tasty option on the Plaza in Sonoma.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very consistent restaurant!JohnoAndBJVIPDined on 1/7/2014Very consistent restaurant! Good food, service and ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for jazz!SonomaFoodieDined on 12/27/2013Once a month is jazz night in the backroom with well-known musicians from the Bay area. Very good venue for music, with other music events on Friday nights. Some dishes very good - lamb chops, hamburgers. Sides good, nice selections of wines. Great ambience - they don't rush you out to turn the tables for other diners.Noise level in front is moderate, but Backroom is the music room and it's live!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very limited menu choicesjam1VIPDined on 12/7/2013Very limited menu choices and the seafood stew was very disappointing.
- Casual SonomaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/30/2013Dont be fooled by the photos showing table cloths and fancy napkins. The food is casual and great for families with kids, including hamburgers, salads, sandwiches, omelets...the usual California cuisine and comfort foods. There is a full bar with TV in the next room. Our family had a great experience. Everyone from age 8 to 80 loved their food. The Eggs Benedict with crab got rave reviews. The skinny french fries were perfect.Special Features:
- There was live jazz in thebdeatsDined on 11/29/2013There was live jazz in the back room, which looked like a lot of fun, but the rest of my group was exhausted from a day of winery hopping. We all thought the food was good--not great but very good--and the prices were reasonable. We were greeted nicely, fed promptly, and all of us liked our food.Special Features:
- This was the second time wecpbradleyDined on 11/23/2013This was the second time we have eaten at this restaurant, the first time was much better. For some reason a lot of attention was paid to another party dining at the same time we were, we seemed to be an inconvenience. The food was OK, better the first time we visited. We will give it one more try, maybe it was just an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WeeklyJohnoAndBJVIPDined on 11/19/2013My wife and I go to Plaza Bistro very often!! Service is Great!! Food is consistently good! It is one of the "Go To" restaurants on the Sonoma Plaza!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but service needs workOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2013They have a good menu but the staff isn't prepared for groups over 10. Service was slow and not the most friendly. Would recommend for a table of twoSpecial Features:
- All wonderful except for . . .MrsBDined on 10/29/2013...the "short pour" on my glass of wine. It may have well been the full five ounces but was noticeably "shorter" than the glass served to my table mate. When we asked for a top off, the glass came back still appearing short. I am thinking that either of us got the end of the bottle which means you either end up a little short or with a little extra, so sometimes you win and sometimes you don't :0). P.S. get a table in front of the window looking at the plaza in the main dining room (not in the bar) which is noisier.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hasn't failed usOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2013It's was our third time at the Bistro, and every bit as good as we remembered. The mussels starter was incredible, the beet salad delicious and perfectly balanced. I had the Oslo bucolic, melt in your mouth tender and flavorful. My husband had the linguini and thought the flavor was excellent. The creme brûlée was creamy tasty, although a bit cool. The white chocolate gelato was the only disappointment-- just tasted like vanilla. Overall a wonderful dinner for our anniversary celebration. We will definitely be back! P.s. the bar side was loud, but we were on the other side, and quiet conversation was totally doable. There's a jazz combo that plays in the back room on weekend nights-- great music, not great for conversing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice little placeKMezDined on 7/4/2013Visiting from the NW, Found this this open on July 4th, which is rare, and really liked like our dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz in the Backmkc1VIPDined on 6/28/2013On Friday and/or Saturday nights the Bistro has live jazz. I like their food and enjoy the jazz. Makes it a special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For a group of foodies, thereBakaDined on 6/14/2013For a group of foodies, there was no "wow" factor for us. The food was good, the experience was good, the people watching from the window was uterly hilarious. Was there a wow we ate there and the food we couldn't stop talking about factor, no. But for a neighborhood joint to go and hang out with friends, it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.