The Pit Authentic BBQ
328 W. Davie Street
Raleigh, NC 27601Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
The Pit Authentic BBQ
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/
- Phone: 9198904500x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:00 am - 10:00 pm
Friday - Saturday 11:00 am - 11:00 pm
Sunday 11:00 am - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Darrell Brown
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For Private Dining and Catering inquiries contact Mollyann Russell at (919)829-0833 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
A word from The Pit Authentic BBQ
Empire Eats is proud to present The Pit Authentic BBQ: whole hog pit cooked BBQ featuring all natural, free range pigs raised right here in North Carolina. The Pit is located in Downtown Raleigh’s Historic Depot District and is helping establish North Carolina’s Capital City as a destination for the state’s signature cuisine in an elegant and lively atmosphere. Our Menu… Our team has crafted a menu that features our signature North Carolina BBQ, slow cooked over hickory and coal and inspired seasonal appetizers, entrees, sides and artful desserts. Our commitment to utilize the freshest, locally grown produce and seasonal ingredients allows the menu to continually evolve throughout the year. Private Dining… The Pit has private dining accommodations for parties of almost any size. Contact private events at email@example.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
The Pit Authentic BBQ - Best Restaurants in Raleigh ›
The Pit Authentic BBQ reviews from OpenTable diners
496 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (295)fit for foodies (214)great for lunch (206)neighborhood gem (194)hot spot (181)special occasion (165)kid-friendly (134)vibrant bar scene (80)great for brunch (57)late-night find (54)romantic (40)great for outdoor dining (39)notable wine list (26)scenic view (16)Show More
- Hometime BarbequeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014Hey, we really enjoy our dinner, food was delicious , as usual. My sweet potato fries arrived cold to the table, but that was quickly remedied.The evening was quite enjoyable!!Special Features:
- City meets CountryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/14/2014A southern secret revealed when Downtown Raleigh NC, has hit the nail in the hammer with this great find! True NC BBQ and other delicious items on the menus...personal favotite: Fried Pimento Cheese!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome and AuthenticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014After having lived in Greenville, NC and being spoiled with the likes of B's BBQ, and the Skylight (in Ayden), I was anxious to give the Pit a try. I had seen a report covering The Pit on Carolina Weekend on PBS, and from the looks of the food in that report, I was really excited to give it a try. The service, food and atmosphere were all excellent. I ordered the chopped plate with macaroni and cheese, and onion rings. My boyfriend also had the chopped plate, and had mashed potatoes with gravy, and pinto beans as his side. He also started with a cup of Brunswick Stew as an appetizer. All I can say is "WOW!!" The BBQ was some of the best I've had since moving west of I-95. The sides were just as good! We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Great food, great service! Waiter was friendly, informative, and checked on us regularly. Pumpkin cornbread with maple butter melts in your mouth! Party of 8 and not a single complaint.Special Features:
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014The Pit always provides the best BBQ in the city. The wait staff is always exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Food is excellent and portions are huge! You will not leave hungry! Service is great. We made a reservation on Open Table and were seated right on time. It was very noisy, however, and hard to hear the people at my own table talking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- usually great!LizTVIPDined on 9/13/2014usually great service and great food however the last visit during lunch on a Sat. service was extremely SLOW especially given that it was not that busy. Sadly food came out luke warm as well. I was disappointed esp. since I brought friends to try it for the first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staple for locals & visitors alikeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Hands down-thee best BBQ in Raleigh! Great location to grab a beer at Crank Arm brewery and then head over to The Pit for dinner. Pulled pork, meat loaf and fried chicken all had amazing flavors. The sides are ridiculously good and you could make a meal of those. Mac n cheese, BBQ beans and greens were our favs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They had a fireOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014We arrived to be told that the place had had a fire ad that they were waiting for the fire marshal. So we had dinner at 18 Seaboard. The Pit called at about 7:15 to say they were open but it was too late, we were eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/9/2014Great food. Did not need a knife for the ribs-they fell off the bone. Real BBQ. Had combo ribs and turkey. Will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't live up to expectationsNotARichKidDined on 9/8/2014Recently moved to Raleigh and kept hearing great things about The Pit. Honestly, the service was phenomenal and we enjoyed the atmosphere. Our food came out very quickly, but definitely wasn't the best NC BBQ I've had. It was okay. Not good, not bad, and not worth the price tag. Overall average experience that unfortunately didn't live up to its reputation.
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2014Loved this place. Food, service, everything was spot on. I definitely will be going back when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another GREAT experienceBullseye1824VIPDined on 9/6/2014Great food. Great people. Great service. Great atmosphere. Great Prices. Valet parking is smooth and easy - both in and out. The pit never disappoints. The pulled Turkey is very unique and flavorful and the homemade bourbon ice cream was awesome. Hats off to Emily, Joe, Kristin, and the whole crew. Thank you for a wonderful experience. See you soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Servicejebr25Dined on 9/6/2014The service was wonderful. With reservations you feel like VIP walking in and going straight to your table passing the long line of folks that are waiting to get a table. The menu options were amazing and I wanted to try 1 of every appetizer. The food was just ok after hearing all the hype of how great it was my expectations were very high. By no means was it bad food and it did have good flavors and good portion sizes. I plan to go back to try many more menu items in the future.Special Features:
- The Pit is the Best!SherrySDined on 9/6/2014The Pit in Raleigh is always consistent with a great meal and ambiance. Service was great and will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our lunch at The PitLuv2eatoutDined on 9/6/2014We have been to The Pit several times. It is a great place for ribs. Normally, I would rate the food "very good"; but my catfish sandwich was pitiful this visit. Usually, it is a huge piece of fish hanging off the bun; but this trip it was three very tiny pieces on the bun. It was not good. However, the ribs were excellent as always. I like my fried okra a bit crispier; but it had a good taste. Family and group friendly; casual fun place for lunch. We will go again. Recommend reservations for weekend lunches; especially if there is an event downtown/school ceremonies, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Large portion sizesTimmyDined on 9/5/2014We enjoyed the choice of different kinds of meats and marinade. The biscuits and hush puppies at the start were also yummy. There were seven of us and were put on a large round table, which was nice except the loud ambient noise made it hard to hear one another speak. Most of our party found it difficult to finish their plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Service, but noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014I do not recommend this place for any business meetings. The noise level was horrible.Special Features:
- Food & service-GREAT; Bathrooms?!?!jdwdineoutDined on 9/3/2014My parents visited and wanted to try out the Pit since we talked about it so much. The food was great and the servers too great care of us. But my father commented on his trip to the bathrooms - no soap, dirty floors, trash overflowing. So I had to check it out for myself. Sure enough he was right. Food and service can be great but toss in a dirty restroom and it leaves a bad vibe for the whole night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't go backTammyDined on 9/2/2014For a number of reasons, I won't be going back to this restaurant. The bbq was by far the worst I've had in the area- the seasoning on the meat and the sauces were subpar. The wait staff was horrid. 3 waiters were supposed to be attending to our table (a table of only 3 people mind you, NOT a giant party), yet two of us sat there for over 5 minutes on two separate occasions with empty glasses. And even then, it was because we waived down the waiters. The bread came out well after our appetizer (not a huge problem, but just shows how inattentive waiters were to not realize that 20 minutes after being seated we still didn't have the bread that I was waiting on). The prices were way too high for the quality of food and service.
- BBQ at its bestBrentVIPDined on 9/2/2014We are BBQ lovers but had never been to The Pit and decided to try it for our wedding anniversary. Not only will we be back, it's sure to become one of our favorite restaurants. Unable to decide which entree to try, we chose a double plate and a triple plate so that we could sample pulled pork, fried chicken, brisket, turkey and meatloaf. All were extraordinary. All the BBQ meats are slow cooked and delicious; the brisket is fork-tender; the fried chicken is true southern style and the meatloaf -- from brisket -- is nicely done. Side dishes are true Southern style also and we loved them. Chocolate cake is great too! And the leftovers made TWO more meals! Service was pleasant and efficient. All in all, one of the area's best places to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The PitLawsonFamilyDined on 9/1/2014The meat here is phenomenal.. However, the sides are less than stellar. Particularly we couldn't eat the Brunswick Stew or the peas. It was not the traditional stew you will find in eastern NC. I'm not sure where you can find stew that bland and awful. The appetizers and bread are fantastic. Just the sides are very bland and tasteless. Everything else is awesome, we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bbqlover1Dined on 9/1/2014My experience at The Pit was great! My only problem was that I came with my spouse and the table we got was very big and not romantic at all. It wasn't busy at all so I expected the hostess to seat us at a smaller table for 2.Special Features:
- Family dinnerTyraDined on 9/1/2014Visited The Pit for dinner with my family; it was great as usual. The hostesses were friendly andfor seated us right away. The servers were attentive. The food was delicious especially for one member of our party from the Pacific Northwest who was able to have her first taste of NC bbq!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatest Place for Barbeque!BAJZDined on 9/1/2014You cannot beat the barbequed pork here. We will be back for more without a doubt. The sides were for the most part very good - potato salad, hush puppies, biscuits - all very Southern-style, as they should be here. The only thing I was a bit disappointed in was the cooked kale I had. It was too bland. That's the reason I gave the overall rating 4 stars, otherwise I would have given a 5.Special Features:
- Always EnjoyalbeBigAlinWakeForestDined on 8/31/2014The Pit is a must when out of towns guests want to enjoy good BBQ in a classic NC setting. Are there "hole in the wall" places that have better food? Maybe, but The Pit delivers authentic and consistent food EVERY TIME which is the most important. Plus they have plenty of room for large groups and a full bar making this a destination stop for locals and out of towners just looking for really good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly / Energetic StaffTimNJessDined on 8/31/2014Food is good but had to send back some side items that were a bit old. The Sangria was delicious and the ribs were nicely cooked. The staff was great. By the way, I made the reservation on the "Open Table" web site and the table was ready and waiting for our arrival.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014The Pit was a casual environment with good food and service. If you are in the Raleigh area check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BBQ Good, Sides ????jaxtravelerDined on 8/30/2014Has Carolina Ribs with 2 sides and dessert. The best part of the meal was the apple pastry with ice cream. The ribs were very good but they sides were pathetic. Cold fries, tasteless and sweet BBQ beans, typical Cole slaw, and dry red beans and rice. Not as good as I expected, but not waste of money. Note they have 15 minute late reservation cut-off. We were there 16 minutes late and had to argue the point to get seated.Special Features:
- Neutral feelingsIronAddictDined on 8/30/2014I have heard a lot of people say a lot of good things about the place. Its actually not bad for the price. You can give it a try but its not a place that I would visit on a regular basis. My chicken wings were burnt so it was on the house. My burger was a little burnt as well(I told them well done, probably should have gone with medium) but didn't mention that to our waiter. Overall not the best dining experience for me, but it seemed like a very popular place as it was almost filled and there were lots of people waiting on a Sat around 1pm. So I kind of have a neutral feeling about this place, but give it a try and see how it suits you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner at the PitDaisy8869Dined on 8/29/2014It was our first time at The Pit and the food was just as great as all my friends described it. The meats are all fork tender and the sides were homemade goodness. Our only wrinkle was the service was slow for the first half of the meal, our team received two large parties on either side of us and despite us ordering before them, they received their bread and entrees before us. Save room for dessert, the banana pudding was to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a hitCameronVIPDined on 8/28/2014My brother lives in Raleigh and I tell him every time I'm down in the Triangle we MUST go to the Pit. This was my fiancee's first trip to the Pit and she was not disappointed. I usually go for the ribs because they fall of the bone. Pick up the ribs and all the meat falls off. We went for the pulled pork this time and it was just as good. Great beer selection to go with it. Next time we are down, we will be back.Special Features:
- Mediocre BBQ At The PitDaddioDined on 8/27/2014Soggy brisket, strangely smokeless flavored ribs, a mound of "ho hum" pulled pork, good chicken with uninspired cole slaw…not sure what the buzz is about. I ordered the sample plate with a selection of all meats. It came heaped on a plate far too small for the task: making the whole scene more like a the inners of a blended meat pie vs bbq. Horrible plate presentation. Are you proud of your food or want to hide it? Bartender was attentive, but poured exactly one ounce of liquor when I ordered a Jack on the rocks. Okay…maybe that's policy, but again when you pour exactly one ounce of liquor into a low ball glass it looks cheap and stingy. Place was packed, loud, lots of groups and families in a popular neighborhood. I won't return.Special Features:
- Delicious LunchmangoshakeDined on 8/26/2014Brought my dad to The Pit for lunch, his first time there. We both loved it. Always a great place to eat fried chicken and bbq, and the service was great and we got our food very quickly, during our short lunch break.Special Features:
- love this placekellzDined on 8/24/2014Anytime we have friends in from out of town or state we always take them here..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father-n-Laws BDayHELPDined on 8/24/2014It thoroughly enjoyed it so all the effort was well worth it!!! It's hard to put a smile on his face but this place raised the bar!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night and experiencekwurlymanDined on 8/23/2014The service was absolutely spectacular, my girlfriend had an absolutely wonderful birthday. Definitely will be keeping this location in my mind for further locations.Special Features:
- Entertaining out of town guestsWineNdineWifeDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I wanted to take our guests out for some authentic southern BBQ to celebrate their anniversary. We noticed the restaurant week menu and everyone passed on that as the choices were extremely limited. In fact none of those menu items were even regular menu items. We decided on the family style selections as everyone was interested in similar menu choices. The food was very good, our guests were impressed. I was kind of disappointed in the smaller portions that were brought out for our party of four. It seemed as though when we got our main entrees to the table, the wait staff avoided our table for a good thirty minutes. We asked for seconds on fried chicken and they brought out two pieces; a teeny tiny wing and one breast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but noisyBrooklesbyDined on 8/22/2014The food is always good but it would be nice if there were more Paleo-friendly options. The noise was out of control Friday night. We were a party of 10 and could not hear beyond the person right next to us...and even then we had to lean in and speak loudly. Noise reduction panels or something would be nice! Other than that it's a fun spot and a lovely place to dine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing BBQDavidDined on 8/22/2014We made our reservation about three months before coming to Raleigh and people were waiting on this Friday night for at least 45 minutes. We were seated right on time on the more traditional looking side of the restaurant (the other side is a little more upscale). We had read a review from another patron who had recommended the fried pimento cheese appetizer and this was an excellent suggestion. Very tasty and very unique. My wife and I both had the two meat combo plates - she had brisket and pulled pork, I had the brisket and baby back ribs (extra charge for the ribs and worth it). Try the Brunswick stew. We live a long way from Raleigh and do not know when we might return but when we do The Pit will be on our agenda.Special Features: