The Pit Authentic BBQ
328 W. Davie Street
Raleigh, NC 27601Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
The Pit Authentic BBQ
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/
- Phone: (919) 890-4500
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:00 am - 10:00 pm
Friday - Saturday 11:00 am - 11:00 pm
Sunday 11:00 am - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Darrell Brown
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For Private Dining and Catering inquiries contact Mollyann Russell at (919)829-0833 or email@example.com.
A word from The Pit Authentic BBQ
Empire Eats is proud to present The Pit Authentic BBQ: whole hog pit cooked BBQ featuring all natural, free range pigs raised right here in North Carolina. The Pit is located in Downtown Raleigh’s Historic Depot District and is helping establish North Carolina’s Capital City as a destination for the state’s signature cuisine in an elegant and lively atmosphere. Our Menu… Our team has crafted a menu that features our signature North Carolina BBQ, slow cooked over hickory and coal and inspired seasonal appetizers, entrees, sides and artful desserts. Our commitment to utilize the freshest, locally grown produce and seasonal ingredients allows the menu to continually evolve throughout the year. Private Dining… The Pit has private dining accommodations for parties of almost any size. Contact private events at firstname.lastname@example.orgContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Pit Authentic BBQ - Best Restaurants in Raleigh ›
The Pit Authentic BBQ reviews from OpenTable diners
415 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (253)fit for foodies (184)great for lunch (161)neighborhood gem (161)hot spot (155)special occasion (124)kid-friendly (91)vibrant bar scene (52)late-night find (36)great for outdoor dining (32)great for brunch (32)romantic (24)notable wine list (22)scenic view (9)Show More
- Great!MaggieMayDined on 11/15/2014The Pit is a great place for lunch as well as dinner. They are always busy - a testament to their greatness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One exception to an otherwise usually good mealSkipVIPDined on 11/15/2014Today the meatloaf at lunch was not what I've been accustomed to. The brisket which I tested and all of the sides were up to normal expectations- very good. In retrospect, I may know why our server asked me specifically "how is the meatloaf?" Perhaps I should have been a bit more honest at the restaurant about the quality today. I'll still return and recommend it to folks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best ribs and pulled pork BBQ on the planet.HappyCamperDined on 11/14/2014The Carolina ribs are so tender you can shake them off the bone....and tasty. The pulled pork BBQ is a NC staple and they do it best. The sides are all good. If I were to change anything it would be the rather bland coleslaw.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BBQ HeavenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Fantastic BBQ and all the fixins, a good selection of pork, beef or turkey. An array of side dishes that complemented the BBQ. And a good beer selection to wash it all down. Excellent service crew. A dining delightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for LunchECR920Dined on 11/13/2014Brought in a group of 8 from the office for lunch. We had a reservation, got seated right away, and got in and out quickly. Didn't have to stress about whether we would get back to the office by a descent time. The food and the service were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening meal with family.LoversDined on 11/12/2014Excellent service and excellent food. Big portions and more than enough food. Had to take home doggie bag had so much food. Again excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingkaylaghDined on 11/9/2014Everything I have eaten here has been amazingly delicious. All cooked to perfection. The staff was extremely kibd, energetic, and helpful. I wish I could go more often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eat!!!lollie90bowDined on 11/9/2014The Pit is an excellent place to eat. The food is amazing. The quantity of food you get is plentiful. The wait staff is great. They make sure you have everything you need.Special Features:
- first time hereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Loved this restaurant went with my husband for lunch and had a great experience the best restaurant experience in a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard to conversefriends4everDined on 11/6/2014The food was so good. 3 of us had Brisket, I had meatloaf, green beans and collards. Dessert was an apple dish and banana pudding. This was my second visit and it did not disappoint. The service was prompt and intuitive - excellent. The only issue was the noise level - popular place.Special Features:
- Thoughts4YouDined on 11/5/2014The star meats are the beef brisket and meatloaf which are just delicious. These are consistent favorites with my work crowd over the past 13 years. The veggie selections are good with honorable mention to the sweet potato fries. The banana pudding is like homemade but pricey. The service is good. Overall "The Pit" dining experience is consistently satisfying and I would recommend you give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good BBQ experienceKennethDined on 11/4/2014I took 3 out of town colleagues to the Pit for the BBQ experience. They really enjoyed the food and the atmosphere in the restaurant. It was busy but not overly crowded. The food was excellent and service was timely. A good place to enjoy southern food in a nice environment. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food always goodRaleighDinerDined on 11/2/2014The fried chicken, okra and collard greens are delicious, but the pumpkin cornbread is the best! Don't miss it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious DiningBrittany12Dined on 11/1/2014The Pit Authentic BBQ is a great spot for any couple desiring to go out for a date night, any family wanting to have a nicer dinner, or just friends celebrating birthdays or eating a meal together. The restaurant itself has a great atmosphere. It does get really crowded during prime time, but it is worth the wait. The food is very much southern comfort food, and is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightCuefanDined on 11/1/2014Great as usual. We brought another couple that had never eaten here and they agreed it is great.Special Features:
- Never Disappoints!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014I've been to the Pit more times than I care to admit since I moved here 4 months ago. You want good ol' Southern comfort food? This is your place!Special Features:
- Best BBQ in NCGatorMomVIPDined on 11/1/2014I am moving away from Raleigh and I am going to miss this place the most. The Pit has the best BBQ in North Carolina that I have ever had. It is amazing. It will be the place I go to if I go back to the Triangle area for quick trips. I will seek this place out...seriously, it's that good.Special Features:
- Good Food!!KnightFoodieDined on 10/31/2014For a restaurant that is popular among the locals, southerners whom are picky about their food, it is impressive that The Pitt has garnered the attention it has. However, what is more impressive is explosion of flavor in your mouth and the way that this southern 'soul food' garners SATISFACTION!!Special Features:
- Never DissapointsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Was a wonderful experience from start to finish, was my 4th visit, and I have never received anything but the friendliest service and great food!Special Features:
- Did not measure up to the hypeBBQisGoodDined on 10/24/2014Heard about the pit from several locals. I found that the quality and flavor of the food was only fair and not worth the price.Special Features:
- Bad LuckFactsDined on 10/23/2014Dined at The Pit with out of town guest and had high expectations based on reviews. Our party of 9 chose The Pits Family Style mainly to keep things simple for everyone. "Bad Decision". We had 3 waiters attending to our needs. When our main dishes arrived, they delivered single dishes with portions to feed 5 people. I assumed more was on the way. Bad assumption. It was embarrassing for myself and the waiters. Management was very quick to the rescue and more than compensated for their error. We were told it was miss communication between one of the waiters and the kitchen. I would give the manager a 5 star rating for the way he handled the situation. He was very kind and I knew his concern was authentic. Food 3 stars. Little overated.Special Features:
- Amazing!!NksfDined on 10/23/2014Highly recommend I couldn't ask for a better night! Service amazing team 2!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKUpforwhateverDined on 10/19/2014Maybe it was because i was in the south, my expectations were much higher. Maybe I just prfer St Louis or Texas ribs, but the Carolina version left me flat.Special Features:
- Reservation not honoredOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014We had a reservation and we were seated 25 minutes after the time of the reservation, even though we arrived 10 minutes early. When we arrived, the hostess said it would be a "few minutes" - which definitely does not imply 25 minutes.Special Features:
- GREAT BBQCEH19VIPDined on 10/18/2014This is a nicer BBQ joint. Expect good food and a lot of it! ALWAYS make a reservation because you will wait forever if you don't!Special Features:
- Food was delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014The food and service was great. Loved the pumpkin cornbread. A must try!Special Features:
- First TimeRubiconDined on 10/18/2014This was my first time to The Pit. The portions were just right and the atmosphere was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ValOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We have eaten at the Pit several times our most resent visit we were disappointed in the meatloaf and some of the veggies. My black eyed peas were under cooked, the corn was not the usual pit quality and my friend only ate a couple bites of her meat loaf. We all loved my chicken, and the greens were to die for. Not sure what happened with the cooking however our waiter was great.Special Features:
- love this place :)NORNVIPDined on 10/18/2014During a visit to Raleigh, I booked my table for The Pit well in advance to ensure a great meal. As usual, The Pit delivered! Fantastic food, beer, service, and I wish they could ship meals to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the bestBrentVIPDined on 10/17/2014If "upscale gourmet BBQ restaurant" sounds odd, you need to try The Pit. That's exactly what they are -- genuine slow-smoked BBQ (brisket, chicken, pulled or chopped pork) in a pleasant, classy yet casual setting. And the homemade sides are just as good -- Brunswick stew, okra, mac & cheese, creamed corn and all the other things you'd expect in a classy southern restaurant. And the hush puppies would make anyone proud. And a more than respectable bar drink menu. It took us too long to discover The Pit, but it's now one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Very PleasedjohwilDined on 10/17/2014Was visiting from Maryland and heard about the Pit on the food network. Absolutely wonderful!!!! Originally from Greenville and have spent time in Texas, some of the best barbeque I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying. Picked up take-out on my way out of town!!!!Special Features:
- NC Great BBQ - better than expectedBBQIndianChief1Dined on 10/16/2014Our first trip to this city. Have had great bbq across the entire continent this The Pit is in the Top 3Special Features:
- Excellent North Carolina BBQinomniDined on 10/15/2014Was here for a conference and brought a group for an authentic BBQ experience. The Pit did not disappoint. The only problems are choosing what to get, and not being able to eat it all. The pulled pork was spot-on perfect. Everything you look for in a BBQ place. Good for a large group too!
- Great BarmanpdxfoodieDined on 10/15/2014Visited from Portland OR. The food was good, and the barman was excellent. When I asked for a particular drink that he didn't know about, he came to our table to find out what it was. He had to 'punt' and came up with a great cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MominmchgnOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014We brought friends from Michigan to dinner here. They loved the Southern Fried Chicken, best they've ever had. We had the carrot cake for dessert! OMG, what a taste delight.Special Features:
- Divinemary8Dined on 10/12/2014The brisket was absolutely divine. The best I have ever had. I cannot wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2014We had the family meal for 6 and found all choices to be excellent. Best barbecue and brisket I've ever tried.Special Features:
- Great, authentic BBQTomBombadilDined on 10/12/2014Took about 15 minutes to seat our party, despite the fact that we had reservations. The hostesses responsible for greeting and seating were really, really unfriendly. Another 15 minutes to get us our waters and take our drink orders. After that, everything was excellent: service and food. It's a busy, noisy place, but in a mostly-good way, and the food was outstanding across the board. Fix that initial experience when people first walk in, and the Pit would be *the* place to go for BBQ in Raleigh.Special Features:
- Raleigh BarbequeBeHappyDined on 10/11/2014We went to The Pit to celebrate my daughters 21st birthday. It was a great choice! The service was excellent. Very attentive staff. We had a reservation and were seated promptly. The wings were a highlight as a starter. All entrees eaten by our group got very good reviews ( full rack of ribs, BBQ, brisket). The biscuits and hush puppies served as we were seated were awesome. The sides had mixed reviews: fried okra, cole slaw and Mac n cheese were good. Thumbs down for the creamed corn and baked beans. The peanut butter pie was decadent. Extra kudos to the staff for not charging us for a craft beer that wasn't up to expectation. Parking is limited but a garage is right up the street. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014It was my first and last time eating at The Pitt. The service was horrible. I order a drink when I ordered my food. The server didn't ask me if I wanted another drink the whole time we were there. Once we got our food NO ONE came back to our table at all until one of the servers broug our ticket, we didn't ask if we wanted anything else.