The Pit Authentic BBQ
328 W. Davie Street
Raleigh, NC 27601Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
The Pit Authentic BBQ
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/
- Phone: 9198904500x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:00 am - 10:00 pm
Friday - Saturday 11:00 am - 11:00 pm
Sunday 11:00 am - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Darrell Brown
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For Private Dining and Catering inquiries contact Mollyann Russell at (919)829-0833 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
A word from The Pit Authentic BBQ
Empire Eats is proud to present The Pit Authentic BBQ: whole hog pit cooked BBQ featuring all natural, free range pigs raised right here in North Carolina. The Pit is located in Downtown Raleigh’s Historic Depot District and is helping establish North Carolina’s Capital City as a destination for the state’s signature cuisine in an elegant and lively atmosphere. Our Menu… Our team has crafted a menu that features our signature North Carolina BBQ, slow cooked over hickory and coal and inspired seasonal appetizers, entrees, sides and artful desserts. Our commitment to utilize the freshest, locally grown produce and seasonal ingredients allows the menu to continually evolve throughout the year. Private Dining… The Pit has private dining accommodations for parties of almost any size. Contact private events at email@example.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Pit Authentic BBQ - Best Restaurants in Raleigh ›
The Pit Authentic BBQ reviews from OpenTable diners
456 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (278)fit for foodies (204)neighborhood gem (188)great for lunch (179)hot spot (175)special occasion (139)kid-friendly (111)vibrant bar scene (61)late-night find (41)great for brunch (41)great for outdoor dining (34)romantic (26)notable wine list (20)scenic view (13)Show More
- Reservation not honoredOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014We had a reservation and we were seated 25 minutes after the time of the reservation, even though we arrived 10 minutes early. When we arrived, the hostess said it would be a "few minutes" - which definitely does not imply 25 minutes.Special Features:
- GREAT BBQCEH19Dined on 10/18/2014This is a nicer BBQ joint. Expect good food and a lot of it! ALWAYS make a reservation because you will wait forever if you don't!Special Features:
- First TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014This was my first time to The Pit. The portions were just right and the atmosphere was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ValOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We have eaten at the Pit several times our most resent visit we were disappointed in the meatloaf and some of the veggies. My black eyed peas were under cooked, the corn was not the usual pit quality and my friend only ate a couple bites of her meat loaf. We all loved my chicken, and the greens were to die for. Not sure what happened with the cooking however our waiter was great.Special Features:
- love this place :)NORNVIPDined on 10/18/2014During a visit to Raleigh, I booked my table for The Pit well in advance to ensure a great meal. As usual, The Pit delivered! Fantastic food, beer, service, and I wish they could ship meals to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the bestBrentVIPDined on 10/17/2014If "upscale gourmet BBQ restaurant" sounds odd, you need to try The Pit. That's exactly what they are -- genuine slow-smoked BBQ (brisket, chicken, pulled or chopped pork) in a pleasant, classy yet casual setting. And the homemade sides are just as good -- Brunswick stew, okra, mac & cheese, creamed corn and all the other things you'd expect in a classy southern restaurant. And the hush puppies would make anyone proud. And a more than respectable bar drink menu. It took us too long to discover The Pit, but it's now one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- NC Great BBQ - better than expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Our first trip to this city. Have had great bbq across the entire continent this The Pit is in the Top 3Special Features:
- MominmchgnOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014We brought friends from Michigan to dinner here. They loved the Southern Fried Chicken, best they've ever had. We had the carrot cake for dessert! OMG, what a taste delight.Special Features:
- Divinemary8Dined on 10/12/2014The brisket was absolutely divine. The best I have ever had. I cannot wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2014We had the family meal for 6 and found all choices to be excellent. Best barbecue and brisket I've ever tried.Special Features:
- Great, authentic BBQTomBombadilDined on 10/12/2014Took about 15 minutes to seat our party, despite the fact that we had reservations. The hostesses responsible for greeting and seating were really, really unfriendly. Another 15 minutes to get us our waters and take our drink orders. After that, everything was excellent: service and food. It's a busy, noisy place, but in a mostly-good way, and the food was outstanding across the board. Fix that initial experience when people first walk in, and the Pit would be *the* place to go for BBQ in Raleigh.Special Features:
- Raleigh BarbequeBeHappyDined on 10/11/2014We went to The Pit to celebrate my daughters 21st birthday. It was a great choice! The service was excellent. Very attentive staff. We had a reservation and were seated promptly. The wings were a highlight as a starter. All entrees eaten by our group got very good reviews ( full rack of ribs, BBQ, brisket). The biscuits and hush puppies served as we were seated were awesome. The sides had mixed reviews: fried okra, cole slaw and Mac n cheese were good. Thumbs down for the creamed corn and baked beans. The peanut butter pie was decadent. Extra kudos to the staff for not charging us for a craft beer that wasn't up to expectation. Parking is limited but a garage is right up the street. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014It was my first and last time eating at The Pitt. The service was horrible. I order a drink when I ordered my food. The server didn't ask me if I wanted another drink the whole time we were there. Once we got our food NO ONE came back to our table at all until one of the servers broug our ticket, we didn't ask if we wanted anything else.
- No Surprises. It is good barbque!frausheilaDined on 10/10/2014I am rarely surprised at the Pit. Nothing exceptional but good NC bbq. We usually take our house-guests/visitors to the Pit as we can make resv, expectations are met, and the atmosphere is nice. We will return again. The Pit has become a staple on our to-do guest list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014First lunch at the pit and it was outstanding. Great price for what you get and excellent service. I can't say enough about the service! And when we ordered one banana pudding for desert for the table, one person with us didn't want bananas. They brought another desert on the house for him. This is the second time this happened in my experiences with the pit. They rock.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NC Bar B Que at its bestGrilledFoodLoverDined on 10/9/2014If you want really great BBQ this is the place for you. Pork, beef or chicken, lots of choices. East or West Carolina style. Be prepared to eat and eat and eat.Special Features:
- We love The Pit!CCW4Dined on 10/7/2014Probably our favorite restaurant in Raleigh. Fabulous BBQ, truly Southern but in a nice enough environment we can bring clients in from out of town. Interesting selection of craft beers and a small, but good, wine list. Service is always stellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the foodReservationWoesDined on 10/6/2014I go to The Pit often and the staff even know what order I am going to place. My only issues lately have been with making reservations at least 2 times a month and then 2 days later I receive an email saying I didn't make my reservation blah blah blah and I did. Maybe you all need to speak with management and require they use the prior reservation noted to stop these incorrect emails.Special Features:
- Great but overpricedMichelleDined on 10/5/2014The food at the Pit is excellent, the bourbon list is impressive, and the service was great. The only issue is that we felt like we've had equally good barbecue at some other local places that were less expensive. At the Pit, you're paying for high quality food, but you're also paying for the atmosphere, location and historical appeal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as usualjessicak26Dined on 10/4/2014Everything was great! Service was good and the food was delicious. Couldn't ask for more!Special Features:
- Out of townOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014We love it here, but brought our guests from out of town and they Loved it! Food is the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I expected moreJacekDined on 10/4/2014I have lunch with my wife on Saturday 10/4, we ordered pulled pork and ribs. Pork was bland, dry and cold, lower than I expected (leftovers?), ribs were absolutely excellent. Side dish, very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Great food, friendly service and a nice atmosphere. We enjoyed the dinner and booking through Open Table was nice and easy. I recommend this place to anyone looking for great BBQ in a semi-formal setting.Special Features:
- Great SreviceseniorsdinefineDined on 9/30/2014The service was wonderful! We came from an Retirement facility with skilled residents and they were treated like kings and queens from the time we pulled up to park. The Guys who were parking the cars were very helpful with getting the walkers and wheelchairs out for use. Greeters from the front entrance saying hello with smiles as we entered the building. What a experience for our residents.Special Features:
- Good Experience, just one hiccupNYCGirlatHeartDined on 9/29/2014I visit the Pit often. I had a family member come from out of town and she wanted to try the Pit. Her food was good but the sweet potato fries she ordered were a little hard. She didn't complain, just mentioned it at the end of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and touristy but good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014I enjoyed my meal. Some say it's a tourist trap but it's very good to be open late. I recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Ribs!mitchDined on 9/27/2014I am NEVER disappointed when we eat at The Pit. The food is always excellent, the service outstanding and the Ribs maybe the best I have ever had!Special Features:
- Horrible hostess,1angrybirdDined on 9/27/2014I will not go back to that place again nor would I recommend it to anyone. Horrible hostess, manager and servers. Food was salty and greasy. I made a reservation for 12 people way ahead of time and confirmed on the phone same day. On arrival, we were told we will not be shown to our table until everyone arrives. After complaining to the manager we were told they will give us a table since we were not informed of their policy. Even after that we we had to wait for 30 minute to sit. When our for arrived, it was left at the end of the table and we had to figure out who ordered what. Our plates were removed without being asked if we are done. Despite all that we had an amazing time and ended up going to Buku for DeseretSpecial Features:
- Not what it is hyped up to bepsturgDined on 9/27/2014I have been there twice. The first was not a horrible experience. Just extremely crowded (Sunday midday) and a long wait. The food was just ok the first time (big boy meat combo and fried green tomatoes) but the plate was piled with meat. The second time was a Saturday with reservations for 4:45. Place was empty but was packed by 5:30 when we left. Big boy meat combo again but not as good and not nearly as much food. Gnats flying around everywhere at our booth by the kitchen. Bacon bruschetta barely had any bacon and sauce was horrible and cold. Wait staff was extremely nice though.Special Features:
- Best BBQJames07Dined on 9/27/2014I must say The Put has some of the best food around. Their BBQ is excellent. I have had the ribs and chicken and both are great. And to top it off, the sides are what you would expect down home. Plus don't forget the BBQ fries as an appetizer.Special Features:
- Great food but....dolphynDined on 9/27/2014We knew that from before when we dined we needed reservations, so we made them for a Saturday mid afternoon. The Pit was busy. We waited quite a while for a waiter and then our order was taken. Food came out hot and great, until dessert. We ordered the banana pudding, not great. The bananas were rubbery and nasty, just plain yuck. Everything else was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was greatOutoftownDined on 9/21/2014The food was great as always. We had a party of 6, and they sat us in the back, in a room with two other larger tables, and we could not hear each other talk, and almost had to scream at each other. Other than a bad table, everything else was good. The server was great.Special Features:
- Sunday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2014Service started slow but was saved by Jacquelyn, not sure of the spelling. The food was great the special beer menu was an added feature and desert was super.Special Features:
- You have to check this place out!DimplesDined on 9/20/2014I've seen this restaurant on TV and decided I'd give it a try. When I want BBQ it has to be really good or I'll never come back. This is truly the best BBQ I have tasted. I drove 3 hours the get it and I'm planning to do it again very soon. The banana pudding is to die for! It's so yummy. I managed to squeeze in two spoonfuls after my meal. I really enjoyed this place!Special Features:
- Great upscale barbecue spotAnneDined on 9/20/2014Visiting Raleigh and went on Trip Advisor recommendation and was not disapointed!Special Features:
- GreateGreatDiningDined on 9/20/2014We had a great time for our anniversary at The Pit. The food was awesome and the buffet style was just the right order. The waiters were nice and they were understanding about any question we had for them. We even had food left after it all to take home.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/19/2014Yummy BBQ. This is our favorite place when we visit Raleigh.Special Features:
- Great findlindalu2Dined on 9/19/2014It was our first time there. The food was great and the service was wonderful. The waiters were able to make great recommendations. My son is going to NC State and we will be visiting him from out of town. This will definitely be a place we make sure we eat at while visiting!Special Features:
- Great food great experienceacm13Dined on 9/19/2014I had a large group (8) dine at The Pit on a Friday night and we had an absolutely fabulous time. We had a reservation, and our table was waiting for us! Thank goodness, since there were lots of people waiting. The food came out quickly and everything was delicious.Special Features:
- Great Q; Great BeerMrPEsqVIPDined on 9/18/2014I'm a BBQ loving fiend. I have had Texas, and Kansas City and St. Louis while visiting all of those cities and love them all. I have never had NC BBQ in NC until last week. Add another version of Q to my list of favorites. And The Pit does it great. Even though I knew I would never finish the 3 meat combo, I had to get it to sample their offerings. Tender succulent ribs, chopped pork with just the right amount of vinegar (what sets NC BBQ apart from the others) and melt in your mouth smoky brisket. Awesome. Beer offerings to wash it all down are very thoughtfully selected. We sat at the bar and watched TNF on the TV's and our bartender was a great guide to all The Pit has to offer. If you're in Raleigh, you gotta go.Special Features: