The Pineapple Room by Alan Wong
1450 Ala Moana Blvd
Honolulu, HI 96814Neighborhood:
Hawaii Regional CuisinePrice: $31 to $50
The Pineapple Room by Alan Wong
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alanwongs.com/
- Phone: 8089456573
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday: 8:00am - 10:30am, Sunday: 9:00am - 10:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Hawaii Regional Cuisine, Contemporary American, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Michael Leslie
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant exclusively available for Private Parties and Corporate Events. Please direct inquiries to email@example.com
- Private Party Contact: Barbara E. Stange 8089455529
- Special Events: Special Brunch on Mother and Father's Day each year
A word from The Pineapple Room by Alan Wong
This popular off-shoot of local chef Alan Wong is a favorite place for a relaxing dinner, lunch or weekend get-together with friends, where you'll find Hawaii favorites prepared with the freshest island ingredients and flavors influenced by the local style we all grew up with.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
The Pineapple Room by Alan Wong - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
The Pineapple Room by Alan Wong reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (65)fit for foodies (48)great for brunch (39)special occasion (31)good for groups (30)neighborhood gem (15)kid-friendly (13)romantic (5)hot spot (4)notable wine list (4)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Very Good ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014My girlfriend and I had an excellent dining experience. Very good service from the hostesses, our waiter, and all of the wait staff. The food was very delicious and presented beautifully. I highly recommend this restaurant to all of my family and friends.Special Features:
- BirthdayTastetreatDined on 9/19/2014Took my husband to Pineapple Room to celebrate his birthday. At 5 pm on a Friday, we were seated by the window with a view of the parking area (not at all scenic) although the interior of the restaurant is quite pleasant. The food was delicious and service outstanding with surprisingly few other customers. My husband ordered the prawns and ribs which were succulent alongside a delicious green vegetable. I ordered the Asian salad and the waiter was gracious about my not ordering an entree. The shave ice and tapioca desert with bits of fruit was every bit as delectable as the menu described.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bday dinner n lunchMinionDined on 9/19/2014I had a great time eating dinner with friends. The ambiance is very stress free environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first time won't be my lastIslandhoneyboyDined on 9/14/2014This was my first visit to the Pineapple Room and I look back and wonder why I took so long. The atmosphere was casual yet refined. The staff was friendly and professional. The food was great !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverallKonaDinerDined on 9/12/2014This was our first visit to the Pineapple Room and we definitely plan to return. We found the food to be tasty, the service very nice, and the presentations to be very appealing. Particularly enjoyed the Brushetta with the various sauces. Also appreciated that our waiter listened carefully about our preparation choices and then delivered exactly what we ordered. How nice!Special Features:
- lunch funspotMyAlohaDined on 9/11/2014excellent food and excellent service, nice ambiance for lunch with friends :)Special Features:
- Food surpassed service!ChloeVIPDined on 9/10/2014I am a frequent 25+ visitor to Pineapple Room and while the food remains excellent, the service was really disappointing. The restaurant has decided to eliminate tablecloths/placemats for dinner service (why?). The varnished tables are slippery and we had a glass of ice water fall over and spill. The table next to us had the same thing happen. The waitstaff were slow to help clean up even though they stated they noticed it happen. We asked several times for clean napkins since ours had been used to clean the spill. Between servings the prior used dishes were not cleaned away before next dishes were presented. I hope this was an anomaly and doesn't represent a new standard of service. A little reluctant to bring guests here in the future.
- Just Run-of-the-millnotthebestDined on 9/1/2014We have eaten here before, and found nothing to truly write home about. However, the reason why there was a return visit as someone gifted a certificate, so there was no other choice but to eat there [G]
- Alan WongtrufleVIPDined on 9/1/2014I have known Alan Wong for several years and had so looked forward to eating at the Pineapple Room. Hate to say this but we were pretty disappointed. The lotus root chips served with my dry and cool pork hash burger were very stale and hard and my friends over easy egg was anything but. They were very busy so no one came by to check on us. I have eaten a lot of food over the years from Alan and I think he has lost touch with this venueSpecial Features:
- LTANIDined on 8/30/2014Great food and service. I will definitely recommend The Pineapple Room to others.Special Features:
- delicious foodcheechDined on 8/29/2014the food is great and service is great. always satisfied.Special Features:
- Decent place808FoodieVIPDined on 8/27/2014It's a good upscale place for lunch or dinner. Nothing too formal. Food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad table, service, ribeye, rice.BadAnniversaryDinnerDined on 8/23/2014Reservations 7p, arrived 6:30p (lots of empty tables), told to come back at 7p. Watched 5-6 groups of walk-ins go in. At 7p, crowded. Got table on other side of waiting area (no privacy, better tables were available). Service slow (drink 7:20p, bread 7:25p, drink refill & salad 7:50p, entree 8p). Noticed lots of trays of food being deliverd to the Special Events Room. Ribeye $49 only butter taste, not sherry wine, lots of cartilage around the edge, needed to wait for server to ask for salt shaker. Brown rice (dry and bowl contained some hard dry crunchy non-edible grains that stuck to my teeth). Frustrated so did not stay for coffee or dessert. Good: Asian salad, white rice, butterfish, gobo, tsukemono sushi, bread with garlic spread.
- Consistently good!liv2eatDined on 8/23/2014Nice setting, good food and good service. Noisy because we were seated next to a big group celebrating something. My daughter's birthday was made very special with a dessert which had her name written in chocolate and a personalized menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New menu itemmitmaVIPDined on 8/23/2014Upside down Pineapple Pancake. Impressive and pretty good. Good plain but liked it with syrup.Special Features:
- Great place to eat when you shopMenehuneDined on 8/20/2014The restaurant is really geared towards those who are shopping and in need of good food and a place to rest. We went for an early dinner so it wasn't crowded which was really nice. The wait staff was excellent and friendly. The food that we ordered was very good, but I thought the menu was a bit limited. Although I managed to find something to try and I liked it, I think having a few more choices would have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not too impressed.sunshinek79Dined on 8/19/2014Went for lunch. Limited menu choices. I had a soup ( kailua pork onion soup) and Calimari salad. And my friend had a sandwitch. The restaurant was pretty busy.
- DisappointingSteveVIPDined on 8/18/2014It was a very disappointing experience. We wanted to take advantage of the early bird special that was advertised on the website only to find out is was discontinued even though it continues to be on their website. Even after bringing the matter to the staff, management did nothing to accommodate their error. In retrospect we should have just walked out. A lesson learned.Special Features:
- localdinerVIPDined on 8/14/2014i've been there numerous times for lunch but was disappointed this time. side of green salad, which there is an extra charge for, came without dressing. after lunch coffee drink was not good - watery, not well mixed, missing whipped cream. waiter assumed we weren't having dessert - we had to say we wanted to order and needed dessert menu. then he brought one menu for our party of three diners.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/11/2014The beef stroganoff was horrible. I couldn't identify whether it was too salty or just had a salty flavor. At first, the server brought me an incorrect entree as well.Special Features:
- slowDickieDined on 8/1/2014Food is always good there but service was extremely slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So many choices! All terrific!Mom32Dined on 7/27/2014Located in Ala Moana's Macy's on the 3rd floor, it's a great place to eat either before or after a day at the mall. You have to go at least twice, or have several friends with you, so you can get a taste of everything because they look so good on the menu (and tastes even better). Making reservations is a must, and OpenTable makes it quick and painless to gauge the time from your last purchase in the mall to navigating around Macy's shoppers on your way to a delicious meal and innovative drinks (alcoholic and not).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very enjoyable due to staffmitmaVIPDined on 7/26/2014Our waiter, Matthew and Josh were wonderful! They had a fun & joking rapport with one another. We also jumped in with the jokes and laughter. Eggs benedict with kalua pig has was delicious but egg yolk medium well, poached egg should've been more liquid to blend with flavors. Appears the mahi tempura sandwich portion was significantly smaller, the dipping sauce different from before, darkerand heavier in flavor, and again, namasu just didn't compliment sandwich. Awkward. A pickle would've been better.Special Features:
- Fantastic foodPMMJDined on 7/18/2014You have to try the tasting menu-- a 5 course meal that can be paired with wine. Affordable & delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELICIOUS RESTAURANT at MACY'SNancyEFVIPDined on 7/17/2014Our first treat was tasty bread & butter, with two lovely wine carafes to go with our main courses - wish more restaurants offered thess! While waiting we nibbled on the stir-fried soybeans (chilis, garlic & sesame oil). Lovely, light, flavorful - and not too spicy. My husband enjoyed the Furikake Crusted New Zealand All Natural Ora King Salmon on risotto (without green tea, at his request), while I enjoyed the Soy Braised Short Rib & Kaua'i Prawns. The ribs were full of fall-apart, tasty goodness. The accompanying shrimp and vegetables added lovely side flavors to the meal. The Kula Strawberry Tiramisu was a delicious, shared finish to a lovely meal. Plus, as seniors, we went to-and-from our hotel on The Bus - cheap and reliable.Special Features:
- DisappointedMelelinaVIPDined on 7/13/2014My family used to go to the Pineapple Room frequently, but service was not very good so we stopped going. The good news is the service was great, But so many other issues. We sat down and started to look at the menu. The waiter came up and said there were 3 items they were out of. Hash brown potatoes, corned beef hash and bananas foster pancakes! Now they do not have a huge menu so missing 2 entrees and a side dish is pretty bad. The restaurant is only open for breakfast on Saturday and Sunday and this was 15 minutes into their Sunday breakfast. This means they were out when they finished serving breakfast on Saturday. Couldn't they have run to the grocery store? Inexcusable! All food was good with exception of Portuguese sausage.
- Slow food serviceHnlDinerVIPDined on 7/11/2014It was almost an hour before our entree arrived. While they acknowledged the delay it was still very slow service and therefore low rating.Special Features:
- Reservations pleasetommyDined on 7/11/2014Make sure you have reservations because there were many people waiting outside (as walk-up customers). Overall, the Pineapple Room has always serve high quality foods. Of course for a high-end lunch establishment, a higher than normal price tag is expected. Service was faster than normal so I was pleasantly surprised by the service. I had an excellent clam chowder and caesar salad with kalua pig lunch with did not disappoint.Special Features:
- Excellent Food, & Lunch LocationWriteFoodDined on 7/4/2014Lunch at The Pineapple Room was a most enjoyable conclusion to a hunger inducing morning's shopping. The location in Macy's at the Ala Moana shopping centre was both convenient and a welcome respite from the crowds. My Chinese style steamed Onanga with the Honda family tofu was delicious, and the tapioca, coconut and fruit dessert was outstanding. Excellent service and guidance from our waiter. Booked on open table the night before - no waiting for a table. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodmikeyboyDined on 7/3/2014The food was delicious but the portion was on the small side. The atmosphere and service was great and our waiter ensured we were enjoying the food and kept our water glasses full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pineapple room at Macy'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/30/2014My girlfriend from Maui came in for the day so I thought it would be a treat to go to the Pineapple room at Macy's for an early dinner before she caught the plane back to Maui. My salmon risotto entree was as superb as I remembered it however my friend's miso butterfish entree was waaayyyy too salty. The fish, the Japanese veggies, the seasoned musubis all had the same saltiness. The dish begged for plain white rise to "kill" some of the saltiness. The veggie option needs to be changed too for the same reason. For me, it was inedible because of the salt. We had a strawberry tiramisu for dessert, which was different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girlfriend lunchDeal4MealDined on 6/28/2014It was so easy booking through Open Table--it took the stress off from looking up the restaurant, dialing, inquiring, waiting, etc. I've told my other friends how easy it is to make reservations. The Pineapple Room surprised us with a birthday dessert since we were celebrating 2 birthdays. We had a late lunch and lingered a while, eating and talking while time just flew. The staff did not rush us at all. The food was delicious and portions were huge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- does not disappoint3whoeatDined on 6/25/2014Pineapple Room is centrally located and convenient to get to. Additionally, food is always good and desserts wonderful. Service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and DeliciousJamieDined on 6/24/2014I came to Hawaii by myself on this trip, and I found out about the Pineapple Room in an online listing of places worth eating that were also suitable for solo travelers. I chose the "early bird" selection and optional wine pairing, and both the food and the wine that accompanied each of the three courses were excellent. The Pineapple Room is inside Macy's at Ala Moana Center, something that is rarely seen in the U.S. these days but quite common in countries I have visited in Asia. There is no view from the windows, but the ambience of the restaurant is very nice, suitable for romantic dinners but also welcoming to families. I highly recommend the Pineapple Room; it is not to be missed.Special Features:
- The food is always goodMargieDined on 6/24/2014I tried the mahi French dip this time and it was excellent. My guest tried the Kalua club and thoroughly enjoyed it. That looked like a hearty lunch with the Caesar on the side.Special Features:
- business lunchmeetingsgaloreDined on 6/24/2014GREAT for business lunches. Tasty food, privacy, servers do not "rush" you through lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and foodaieagrandmaDined on 6/19/2014The service was very pleasant from the time my party and I arrived. The server was very attentive and always checked on us throughout the meal. The food was excellent even though pricey it was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!chassteatsDined on 6/17/2014I have been to Pineapple Room many times before, so this time I decided to bring my father here for a Father's Day lunch. He has never been before and I am happy that he really enjoyed it. Li Anne was our server and very attentive. She was very friendly and offered great recommendations for the menu. I really enjoyed the Guri Guri drink she also recommended for me! Delicious! Thank you for the great service and of course delicious food. Always consistent, which is what I appreciate most. I know that what I order will always be yummy!Special Features:
- SushiGirl324Dined on 6/16/2014Ribeye on a sizzling platter is out of this world. Chinese style Onaga w/ Cilantro is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Father's Day Lunchwade03heatDined on 6/15/2014The food and service was great! It was buffet style. We loved it!Special Features: