The Pineapple Room by Alan Wong
1450 Ala Moana Blvd
Honolulu, HI 96814Neighborhood:
Hawaii Regional CuisinePrice: $31 to $50
The Pineapple Room by Alan Wong
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alanwongs.com/
- Phone: 8089456573
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday: 8:00am - 10:30am, Sunday: 9:00am - 10:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Hawaii Regional Cuisine, Contemporary American, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Michael Leslie
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant exclusively available for Private Parties and Corporate Events. Please direct inquiries to email@example.com
- Private Party Contact: Barbara E. Stange 8089455529
- Special Events: Special Brunch on Mother and Father's Day each year
A word from The Pineapple Room by Alan Wong
This popular off-shoot of local chef Alan Wong is a favorite place for a relaxing dinner, lunch or weekend get-together with friends, where you'll find Hawaii favorites prepared with the freshest island ingredients and flavors influenced by the local style we all grew up with.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
The Pineapple Room by Alan Wong - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
The Pineapple Room by Alan Wong reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (69)fit for foodies (52)special occasion (41)great for brunch (40)good for groups (32)neighborhood gem (24)kid-friendly (14)romantic (6)notable wine list (5)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- LTANIDined on 8/30/2014Great food and service. I will definitely recommend The Pineapple Room to others.Special Features:
- delicious foodcheechDined on 8/29/2014the food is great and service is great. always satisfied.Special Features:
- Decent place808FoodieVIPDined on 8/27/2014It's a good upscale place for lunch or dinner. Nothing too formal. Food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad table, service, ribeye, rice.BadAnniversaryDinnerDined on 8/23/2014Reservations 7p, arrived 6:30p (lots of empty tables), told to come back at 7p. Watched 5-6 groups of walk-ins go in. At 7p, crowded. Got table on other side of waiting area (no privacy, better tables were available). Service slow (drink 7:20p, bread 7:25p, drink refill & salad 7:50p, entree 8p). Noticed lots of trays of food being deliverd to the Special Events Room. Ribeye $49 only butter taste, not sherry wine, lots of cartilage around the edge, needed to wait for server to ask for salt shaker. Brown rice (dry and bowl contained some hard dry crunchy non-edible grains that stuck to my teeth). Frustrated so did not stay for coffee or dessert. Good: Asian salad, white rice, butterfish, gobo, tsukemono sushi, bread with garlic spread.
- New menu itemmitmaVIPDined on 8/23/2014Upside down Pineapple Pancake. Impressive and pretty good. Good plain but liked it with syrup.Special Features:
- Great place to eat when you shopMenehuneDined on 8/20/2014The restaurant is really geared towards those who are shopping and in need of good food and a place to rest. We went for an early dinner so it wasn't crowded which was really nice. The wait staff was excellent and friendly. The food that we ordered was very good, but I thought the menu was a bit limited. Although I managed to find something to try and I liked it, I think having a few more choices would have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not too impressed.sunshinek79Dined on 8/19/2014Went for lunch. Limited menu choices. I had a soup ( kailua pork onion soup) and Calimari salad. And my friend had a sandwitch. The restaurant was pretty busy.
- DisappointingSteveVIPDined on 8/18/2014It was a very disappointing experience. We wanted to take advantage of the early bird special that was advertised on the website only to find out is was discontinued even though it continues to be on their website. Even after bringing the matter to the staff, management did nothing to accommodate their error. In retrospect we should have just walked out. A lesson learned.Special Features:
- localdinerVIPDined on 8/14/2014i've been there numerous times for lunch but was disappointed this time. side of green salad, which there is an extra charge for, came without dressing. after lunch coffee drink was not good - watery, not well mixed, missing whipped cream. waiter assumed we weren't having dessert - we had to say we wanted to order and needed dessert menu. then he brought one menu for our party of three diners.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/11/2014The beef stroganoff was horrible. I couldn't identify whether it was too salty or just had a salty flavor. At first, the server brought me an incorrect entree as well.Special Features:
- slowDickieDined on 8/1/2014Food is always good there but service was extremely slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very enjoyable due to staffmitmaVIPDined on 7/26/2014Our waiter, Matthew and Josh were wonderful! They had a fun & joking rapport with one another. We also jumped in with the jokes and laughter. Eggs benedict with kalua pig has was delicious but egg yolk medium well, poached egg should've been more liquid to blend with flavors. Appears the mahi tempura sandwich portion was significantly smaller, the dipping sauce different from before, darkerand heavier in flavor, and again, namasu just didn't compliment sandwich. Awkward. A pickle would've been better.Special Features:
- Fantastic foodPMMJDined on 7/18/2014You have to try the tasting menu-- a 5 course meal that can be paired with wine. Affordable & delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELICIOUS RESTAURANT at MACY'SNancyEFVIPDined on 7/17/2014Our first treat was tasty bread & butter, with two lovely wine carafes to go with our main courses - wish more restaurants offered thess! While waiting we nibbled on the stir-fried soybeans (chilis, garlic & sesame oil). Lovely, light, flavorful - and not too spicy. My husband enjoyed the Furikake Crusted New Zealand All Natural Ora King Salmon on risotto (without green tea, at his request), while I enjoyed the Soy Braised Short Rib & Kaua'i Prawns. The ribs were full of fall-apart, tasty goodness. The accompanying shrimp and vegetables added lovely side flavors to the meal. The Kula Strawberry Tiramisu was a delicious, shared finish to a lovely meal. Plus, as seniors, we went to-and-from our hotel on The Bus - cheap and reliable.Special Features:
- DisappointedMelelinaVIPDined on 7/13/2014My family used to go to the Pineapple Room frequently, but service was not very good so we stopped going. The good news is the service was great, But so many other issues. We sat down and started to look at the menu. The waiter came up and said there were 3 items they were out of. Hash brown potatoes, corned beef hash and bananas foster pancakes! Now they do not have a huge menu so missing 2 entrees and a side dish is pretty bad. The restaurant is only open for breakfast on Saturday and Sunday and this was 15 minutes into their Sunday breakfast. This means they were out when they finished serving breakfast on Saturday. Couldn't they have run to the grocery store? Inexcusable! All food was good with exception of Portuguese sausage.
- Slow food serviceHnlDinerVIPDined on 7/11/2014It was almost an hour before our entree arrived. While they acknowledged the delay it was still very slow service and therefore low rating.Special Features:
- Reservations pleasetommyDined on 7/11/2014Make sure you have reservations because there were many people waiting outside (as walk-up customers). Overall, the Pineapple Room has always serve high quality foods. Of course for a high-end lunch establishment, a higher than normal price tag is expected. Service was faster than normal so I was pleasantly surprised by the service. I had an excellent clam chowder and caesar salad with kalua pig lunch with did not disappoint.Special Features:
- Excellent Food, & Lunch LocationWriteFoodDined on 7/4/2014Lunch at The Pineapple Room was a most enjoyable conclusion to a hunger inducing morning's shopping. The location in Macy's at the Ala Moana shopping centre was both convenient and a welcome respite from the crowds. My Chinese style steamed Onanga with the Honda family tofu was delicious, and the tapioca, coconut and fruit dessert was outstanding. Excellent service and guidance from our waiter. Booked on open table the night before - no waiting for a table. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodmikeyboyDined on 7/3/2014The food was delicious but the portion was on the small side. The atmosphere and service was great and our waiter ensured we were enjoying the food and kept our water glasses full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pineapple room at Macy'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/30/2014My girlfriend from Maui came in for the day so I thought it would be a treat to go to the Pineapple room at Macy's for an early dinner before she caught the plane back to Maui. My salmon risotto entree was as superb as I remembered it however my friend's miso butterfish entree was waaayyyy too salty. The fish, the Japanese veggies, the seasoned musubis all had the same saltiness. The dish begged for plain white rise to "kill" some of the saltiness. The veggie option needs to be changed too for the same reason. For me, it was inedible because of the salt. We had a strawberry tiramisu for dessert, which was different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girlfriend lunchDeal4MealDined on 6/28/2014It was so easy booking through Open Table--it took the stress off from looking up the restaurant, dialing, inquiring, waiting, etc. I've told my other friends how easy it is to make reservations. The Pineapple Room surprised us with a birthday dessert since we were celebrating 2 birthdays. We had a late lunch and lingered a while, eating and talking while time just flew. The staff did not rush us at all. The food was delicious and portions were huge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- does not disappoint3whoeatDined on 6/25/2014Pineapple Room is centrally located and convenient to get to. Additionally, food is always good and desserts wonderful. Service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and DeliciousJamieDined on 6/24/2014I came to Hawaii by myself on this trip, and I found out about the Pineapple Room in an online listing of places worth eating that were also suitable for solo travelers. I chose the "early bird" selection and optional wine pairing, and both the food and the wine that accompanied each of the three courses were excellent. The Pineapple Room is inside Macy's at Ala Moana Center, something that is rarely seen in the U.S. these days but quite common in countries I have visited in Asia. There is no view from the windows, but the ambience of the restaurant is very nice, suitable for romantic dinners but also welcoming to families. I highly recommend the Pineapple Room; it is not to be missed.Special Features:
- The food is always goodMargieDined on 6/24/2014I tried the mahi French dip this time and it was excellent. My guest tried the Kalua club and thoroughly enjoyed it. That looked like a hearty lunch with the Caesar on the side.Special Features:
- business lunchmeetingsgaloreDined on 6/24/2014GREAT for business lunches. Tasty food, privacy, servers do not "rush" you through lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and foodaieagrandmaDined on 6/19/2014The service was very pleasant from the time my party and I arrived. The server was very attentive and always checked on us throughout the meal. The food was excellent even though pricey it was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!chassteatsDined on 6/17/2014I have been to Pineapple Room many times before, so this time I decided to bring my father here for a Father's Day lunch. He has never been before and I am happy that he really enjoyed it. Li Anne was our server and very attentive. She was very friendly and offered great recommendations for the menu. I really enjoyed the Guri Guri drink she also recommended for me! Delicious! Thank you for the great service and of course delicious food. Always consistent, which is what I appreciate most. I know that what I order will always be yummy!Special Features:
- SushiGirl324Dined on 6/16/2014Ribeye on a sizzling platter is out of this world. Chinese style Onaga w/ Cilantro is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Father's Day Lunchwade03heatDined on 6/15/2014The food and service was great! It was buffet style. We loved it!Special Features:
- SIGDinnerVIPDined on 6/14/2014The food and service at Alan Wong's Pineapple Room were both excellent. The menu was varied and represented a modern take on Hawaiian cuisine. The service was courteous without being overbearing. This is a great way to sample the cuisine of Alan Wong without the difficulty of trying to get into his main restaurant.Special Features:
- Unexpected findEastBayDinerDined on 6/14/2014My family and I were on vacation and doing some shopping at the Ala Moana Mall when we decided to have dinner there. We stumbled upon The Pineapple Room by chance while looking up places on our phone. We'd heard about celebrity chef Alan Wong, and were excited to try his food. The food was okay, but I'd consider it over-priced given the location in a busy Macy's where you have views of shoppers coming and going.Special Features:
- Service did not meet expectationsDTLeeDined on 6/12/2014Went online at 11:45am to make luncheon reservations for 12:30pm since 12 noon was not available. Upon arrival at 12:20pm, we checked in with the reception desk where we were told we would have to wait 15-20 minutes. We were fine with the wait although we saw many open tables and even the counter by the kitchen was available. While waiting, another couple approached the reception area who did not have reservations and were told their wait was the same. Went back to the reception desk to confirm the wait and was told "reservations made online 30 minutes prior to the reservation time was not guaranteed." Surprisingly within 5 minutes we were seated. Why even make the reservation when the wait is the same as a walk in?Special Features:
- AmyTVIPDined on 6/7/2014Went for breakfast for the first time and was surprised that the menu was so limited. Food was good, but choices sparse.Special Features:
- Very nice for the priceRobonogrindzDined on 6/6/2014Looking at some of the Yelp comments, I was sort of wondering what kind of service I would get here. To my happy surprise, the service was simply outstanding. Very attentive on both food, re-filling water, taking dishes, etc. And since my wife has fish allergies, they made extra accommodations so she could try the Loco Moco prix fixe. Everything was well done food-wise...simply delicious...and although it lacks a stunning view, I would consider this place great for a nice, romantic "date". Try the yuzu soda...simply refreshing with every sip! And the chocolate pudding for dessert is perfect for dark chocoholics.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EstherDined on 6/3/2014Food portion is too small, waiter did not explain or recommend any type of drinks that pairs well with the entreeSpecial Features:
- PerryDined on 6/2/2014While it cannot compare to the main restaurant on King Street, at least you can dine here are reasonable times. For some reason, when the booking is through Open table, you are only ever allotted the 1700 hour slot at their King Street Restaurant.Special Features:
- The food is Great well seasoned.RetailManagerVIPDined on 5/31/2014The Breakfast Food menu is limited but what they have is Great. The service is outstanding. They can use a Steak and Eggs on the menu. Keep up the good workSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/26/2014A favorite place that never disappoints. Food & service are top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvalanwongsDined on 5/24/2014The food was exceptional, always consistent, service is outstanding, will definitely dine here again. The dessert however was not up to the standard of prior years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AccommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014I asked that we be placed in a "quiet" corner and the hostess and staff was accommodating. I really appreciated it because my group had lots to discuss as well as enjoyed the delicious Pineapple burger and desserts! Mahalo! Pineapple Room is always my choice for lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.