The Pier Restaurant
10 Howard Wharf
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Pier Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.atlanticbeachhospitality.com/pier.php
- Phone: 4018473645
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:30pm; Dinner: Nightly: 4:30pm - 11:00pm (Bar is open til 1:00am)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from The Pier Restaurant
The Pier Restaurant is Newport's premier destination for waterfront dining and entertainment located in downtown Newport RI. We offer the freshest seafood and succulent steaks prepared by award winning Head Chef Kevin Gaudreau. We boast outdoor waterfront seating and cocktails, live entertainment Thursday through Sunday nights, and private party services for your next special event.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Pier Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (13)great for outdoor dining (11)good for groups (8)neighborhood gem (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)fit for foodies (2)great for brunch (2)romantic (1)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- CosmoVIPDined on 9/1/2014Best part of the night was the terrific music playing outside at the bar. Really good, felt like we were in key west. David chuck I think was the duo. Fish was good, fries were cold and not eatable. Salad was good. Would go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food below average; scene is funDavidDined on 8/29/2014Our food came out warm, and the lobster ravioli was undercooked. The ravioli had to be cut. The bar with the live music seemed fun and there was a nice view of the harbor. I'd go back for a drink but wouldn't dine there next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FastLisaDined on 8/28/2014Very quick service. Out in under one hour. One appetizer and our meal. Live music was a plusSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2014Very disorganized and not at all kid friendly. The waitstaff is friendly but incredibly disorganized. We did not get our food as it took close to an hour. People around is that had gotten there later had received their food before us. Very disappointed but we should have known it was a problem because the restaurant had plenty of openings. Food that we did get was terrible. The manager was nice and responded to complaint quickly.Special Features:
- We had a party of 13MelissaDined on 8/17/2014We had a large group and they assigned two servers to us, and they were great. Food was good...a little on the pricey side, but not too bad. We were inside because the outside band would have been too loud for us to chat with a big party. Inside was perfect for us, and we had a very nice view.Special Features:
- TerribleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014Had a 930 reservation for 7 people. Stood at the host table for 15 minutes with no acknowledgement of our presence despite MANY people constantly walking by. Finally someone came over and recommended we leave and go elsewhere...so we did! Will never try again.
- ExcellentvacationistaDined on 8/16/2014Found this gem on the internet. We did sit indoors at a booth, which was offered rather apologetically by the hostess, since the outdoors seating had a long wait. We were not disappointed with the seating as it was a bit more private. Food was excellent as was the the server who was always around but not annoying. I did enjoy a glass of wine, although I am not a wine connoisseur, I was very impressed with the amount of choices. I don't believe I have ever seen such an extensive list. There are several rooms and after dinner we strolled into the next room which had a bar and live music. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service -overwhlemed staffwannabechefVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a reservation for a party of 7ppl - upon arriving our host said he would check on table and get back to us. 15 mins later we approached again, he had not even remembered we had checked in with him. He claimed a party was finishing up they were setting the table. 45 mins later we were still waiting and had not been approached for a update. It was over 1 hour past the reservation when we were seated. Upon ordering 2 bottles of wine, we waited another 15 mins and still had not received our drinks. Waiter came back to take our order and still no drinks. Waited another 15 mins before we finally got up and left the restaurant. They seemed very disorganized and there was no manager presence not once did any of the staff apologize to us.
- better than expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014After reading reviews online, we were pleased with the quality of the food. The live music was awesome too.Special Features:
- Low Expectations MetICouldEatVIPDined on 7/12/2014I got the feeling I was eating from the kitchen of a seaside clam shack where all they did was put the food on ceramic plates instead of paper ones. Since this was one of only a few Newport restaurants with reservations available, my expectations were low and they were met. The outdoor seating area looked nice and fun but it was full. The dining room inside is dated, like that on a dinner cruise ship. Service was very good. There was nothing bad about the experience but just not on par with other dining options in the area. A few tweaks and this could be a great destination. Free parking is definitely a draw too.
- Unmet PotentialFoodiefromNYVIPDined on 7/5/2014The indoor space needs major upgrades for such a pretty location. The food was average yet pricey. This place is a conflict between catering for the pub crowd vs upscale dining on the water. The outside bar area had a good vibe but I would stick to the finger food. The kitchen struggled on this sat night but shouldn't they be prepared for a busy Saturday night? The waitress tried really hard otherwise the service rating would take a hit too.
- Fun deck dining!ScottVIPDined on 7/3/2014Lovely casual spot on the water in Newport. Very nice waitress, decent food and the bonus of great live music. I would definitely go back but maybe for lunch next time. The only criticism and this could be a city ordinance is plastic cups for cocktails.Special Features:
- something was "off"lovenewportVIPDined on 6/30/2014When we arrived at the Pier (which has a beautiful location) there was only one other table occupied in the whole restaurant. We asked for the wine list and there was very little on it - last year they had a very nice wine selection. Our server was great, she did tell us they were out of several things on the menu which was strange because there was only one other table there! We decided to have a cocktail and an appetizer since she was so nice and then left to have dinner at another spot. We have been to the pier in the past and something was "off" this time.Special Features:
- Nice resturantKateDined on 6/29/2014I went with some friends for brunch, and found out they only serve lunch and dinner when we got there. It was great to sit out by the water though. The food was good. We had a great waiter, who was really personable. Good find for a nice summer day.Special Features:
- Great viewWineListDined on 6/28/2014Dock-side dining is almost never fit for foodies, and this is no exception. The view was great and the bar scene was good, but the food and service were not.Special Features:
- Great Saturday LunchMurfDined on 6/28/2014Great lunch at the bar with a couple of friends. Great!Special Features:
- The following 165 reviews are from the The Pier Restaurant reviews archive.
- Overall a wonderful experience.newlywedsDined on 11/12/2011Overall a wonderful experience. The only thing that I would complain about is the fact that I had a reservation for 2 people at 8pm, arrived at 7:55pm and was told that we would be seated closer to 8pm. We went and sat in the bar until about 8:20pm until they finally took us to our table. Not a huge issue, but when I make a reservation, I pretty much expect to be seated on time, give or take 10 minutes. That being said, the food was wonderful and I plan on returning.
- We went to The Pier for theirOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/10/2011We went to The Pier for their Thursday dinner special. The meal and price did not disappoint. Everything was great. And server/waiter was very friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- as a traditionalist, i enjoyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2011as a traditionalist, i enjoy a typical new england menu, focusing on tried and true fish entrees as well as meats. the pier does not disappoint. the prices are more reasonable than many newport restaurants, and at least they have a little bit of parking. don't come here if you want a very trendy meal.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed the food andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/3/2011Really enjoyed the food and the service was very good. Would definetely recommend this restaurant. Liked the Thursday specialsSpecial Features:
- Great food, great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/21/2011Great food, great service. Made our anniversary special and memorable.Special Features:
- beatiful view.accomodatedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/15/2011beatiful view.accomodated changing our reservation no problem at all.portions just the right size.loved the salad.ran out of the prime rib which my husband really wanted as he is not a fish eater. he ended up ordering the sirloin - it came rare when he requested medium. so he was disappointed twice..other than that we had a great experienceSpecial Features:
- The food was wonderful. EnjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/15/2011The food was wonderful. Enjoyed everything from appetizer to meal.Special Features:
- Food was good. Service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/15/2011Food was good. Service was very good. Ambiance was nice.
- Excellent experience overall.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/15/2011Excellent experience overall. Very romantic - beautiful setting and scenery (sunset on the water). The waiters were very respectful of our time, yet attentive - excellent balance. And the food was wonderful. I highly recommend The Pier for a romantic dinner for two!Special Features:
- The food was fantastic asOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/14/2011The food was fantastic as well as our service. Tristan was very knowledgeable about the menu and made great suggestions. Enjoyed the quiet dinner and then we were able to go to the lounnge area and enjoy some great music afterward.Special Features:
- Restaurant is nice. PortionsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/13/2011Restaurant is nice. Portions are small. Expensive for what you get. Food was good though.Special Features:
- The fish was very deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2011The fish was very delicious and the atmosphere was outstandingSpecial Features:
- The food was excellent overall,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/7/2011The food was excellent overall, only blemish was that my steak was not quite cooked to my liking and so the waiter made it more than right. It was an nice experience to be able to enjoy an excellent meal and then go over to the adjacent bar and enjoy the live music. Definitely will go back again.
- While the food was very good,kathyVIPDined on 10/1/2011While the food was very good, including possibly the best swordfish I have ever had, the service placed a din on the entire meal. Our waiter paid no attention to us, the bus persons attempted to clear our plates twice while we were eating, and one even reached to take a straw out of my husband's hand! The special touches provided by wait staff were missing--suggestions for meals, friendly gestures, and even the peppermill (yes, small but important!). Getting a refill on a non-alcoholic beverage was not to be had. Overall, despite good food, the evening was disappointing!
- Perfect on so many levels...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/1/2011If you are a seafood fan this is the place for you. Each dish was executed perfectly and delicious. The red pepper glaze on the calamari was to die for. The music in the background was fun and lively (a lot of 90's rock). I would recommend getting there early if you want to eat outside, and definitely make a reservation.Special Features:
- The Pier was excellent inOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2011The Pier was excellent in every way...food, service, ambiance, hospitality. My wife and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary; I asked for a table with a nice view and noted our 40th in the request. Everyone who greeted us that evening, down to the bus boy, congratulated us on our milestone without overdoing it. Subtle, quiet and nice. Teh complimentary dessert was a nice finishing touch. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Fine food; good selection; great loOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2011We had many choices for our dinner and chose the Pier because we had been there a few years ago for drinks and appetizers. We remembered it and kept it in mind for our visit to Newport last weekend. We checked out four other restaurants during our afternoon shopping trip and still decided on the Pier. As an added bonus and unlike a couple of the restaurants, they take reservations for parties of two. We dined there and enjoyed everything about the restaurant. Good job!Special Features:
- Don't waste your timw and money!RevViewVIPDined on 9/23/2011We had made a request to have a table near with waterview as we were celebrating a special event and they put us in the back room with another function (wedding rehearsal party) - it was very awkward, especially when the bride and groom to be were giving their toast. This was wierd especially since the main dinning room had plenty of available tables. Also, you can't park near the restaurant. I will not go back, nor recommend it to others. The Mooring, 22 Bowen, Castle Hill, (for the same price) are superior to this restaurant so don't waste your time and money.
- Enjoyed the meal and the service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2011Enjoyed the meal and the service. Good menu choices.Special Features:
- While the review has "quiet"OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/10/2011While the review has "quiet" to "energetic" I felt it was just LOUD. The food was very good, the waitress very good, but the noise level made it very challenging to hear others at my table. It was a special occasion so I really wanted to hear those at my table rather than all the really loud groups at neighboring tables. But our waitress was very professional and nice and the food was generally very good (other than the crabcakes which could have been frozen out of a box).Special Features:
- We went for our 20th anniversary.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/9/2011We went for our 20th anniversary. The food was fabulous. The order actually came out wrong and our waiter immediately recognized the mistake and quickly fixed it. It's important to note our waiter was so personable and knowledgable. He helped make the dinner and choices easy. The only issue I had was we requested private area and a family with several children were seated right beside us- that sort of took away from the romantic part. Aside from that, I would recommend the Pier.Special Features:
- Try the crispy whold fish!!! OutstaroeyDined on 9/6/2011Our favorite Newport restaurant! Have the crispy whole fish special of the night!!! Outstanding (although i did have them cut off the head first! We will be going back to the Pier over and over again!!!!Special Features:
- Not someplace we'd go again.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2011Not someplace we'd go again. Food was bland. Nothing exceptional about this place. My veal chop overcooked.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant. SuperOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2011Excellent restaurant. Super friendly and professional service. Food was delicious. All seafood ws fresh and perfectlly cooked. Loved itSpecial Features: