The Picnic House
723 SW Salmon St.
Portland, OR 97205Neighborhood:
Downtown Portland - SW
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Picnic House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.picnichousepdx.com/
- Phone: 5032270705x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:00 AM - 3:00PM (Mon- Sat)
Dinner: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM (Mon-Wed); 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM (Thurs-Sat)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, French American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jessica Grimmer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us at www.PicnicHousePDX.com for catering information,
A word from The Picnic House
Located at the crossroads of Portland"s Business and Art Districts, the Picnic House is a excellent place for a quick, great-tasting lunch before heading back to work as well as the perfect place for dinner and drinks before or after seeing a show at one of Portland's theaters. Built out of the lobby of the original 1920's Heathman Hotel, the Picnic House offers a great ambiance of 30-foot vaulted ceilings and fluted wood columns along with Steam Punk touches of a monocled bear in a bowler hat and walls covered in moss and mosaics of copper printing plates. Head chef Jessica Grimmer creates seasonal menus that are familiar and nostalgic yet different and daring enough to peak both your interest and your appetite.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
The Picnic House - Best Restaurants in Downtown Portland - SW ›
The Picnic House reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (85)great for lunch (64)good for groups (58)neighborhood gem (47)special occasion (40)romantic (19)hot spot (18)great for brunch (13)vibrant bar scene (9)kid-friendly (9)notable wine list (9)late-night find (6)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Fantastic food and ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014I took my partner here for his birthday. The menu had just enough variety fit many tastes, while also being limited enough to keep one from taking too long to decide what to have! Had the crostini as an app, which I would highly recommend. The vegetarian stuffed mushroom entree was amazing (don't normally like brussel sprouts, but these were delicious), and the pan-seared chicken was fantastic. Dessert was just as good as the meal, and the drinks were well made. They have a great wine list, with a generous pour. If you have an evening planned at the theater complex downtown, I would highly recommend you stop here first for dinner!Special Features:
- lnoahlnoahDined on 9/25/2014Food was excellent — "normal" with a flavorful twist, atmosphere was fun. We will go again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Service2014TDined on 9/24/2014I made a reservation for 12:15. We arrived at 12:08pm and was told it would be a few. There was not many people in the waiting area. However, at 12:10pm more poeple came in the door, each time she would ask if they had a reservation and they would say no. We where the last to be seated at 12:20pm. It took over 25 minutes for the waitress to even come over to our table. Then when she did it took her even longer to come back to take our order. The food was great, however service was terrible. I certianly will not be back anytime soon.
- Service Needs Some WorkMaggieOCDined on 9/23/2014The food is very good but so is food all over Portland. Service is uneven and unpracticed. I had a 6:00 reservation on a Tuesday night. Restaurant was close to empty and the very young hostess seated me at the one table next to the kitchen? I don't think so. I asked for a different table and she gave me my pic. Save the bad table for the people who show up when the place is packed and don't have a reservation.Special Features:
- hidden awesomenesslittlePDXrowerDined on 9/22/2014one thing: best grilled cheese and tomato soup EVER. moderate sized portions (I don't like heaps of food, it's "just right" for me), great flavors - our server was a bit overwhelmed with lunchtime crowd but it wasn't so bad (we were not in a hurry). Wine list is small, but selections seemed appropriate for menu offerings. Heard about this place from friends, I'm definitely going back and bringing more friends. Recommend using OpenTable for reservations around lunch and dinner, otherwise you will be waiting for a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous food, gorgeous restaurant!SamosaDined on 9/20/2014A beautiful restaurant. Decor and ambiance were amazing. The food did not fall short. We had a couple of small plates so were able to try a good selection. The crudités with cheese was phenomenal. The beets were exceptionally tasty and really different. The espresso beef tenderloin had a strong flavor and was cooked to perfection. The best part was definitely dessert. A pavlova oozing with Creme Anglaise and sprinkled with berries. If I lived in Portland I would be a regular here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let downHonestDinerVIPDined on 9/20/2014After reading many reviews both pro and con we decided to give this place a try. The decor is a little disjointed and the lighting harsh. Our appetizers were OK, but the entrees were disappointing. The skillet chicken was served in a cold skillet and overlooked. The salmon, slightly over done, and the strawberries were a big miss. The pork chop was under seasoned, and par for the course it was over cooked. The only star was the bar - great mixologist was fantastic and very creative - go for drinks and skip the food.
- fine for the money3foodliesDined on 9/20/20143 of us had a traditional dinner with either soup or salad + main course one Saturday night. The restaurant staff were pleasant and service was good, though not really attentive. Soup portion was tiny, compared to the salad which was definitely enough to share and loaded with fresh berries. Main portions were large. The salmon was overcooked(though not dry) and incredibly hot- certainly it was microwaved! It was not edible until it cooled. The roast chicken was fine. Prices were quite reasonable ($18 for the main course). We saw others sharing multiple dishes- perhaps that would have been more interesting.
- Good at a snails paceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014We had over 2 hours for dinner before a show across the street at the Schnitzer. Service for dinner, while not fast was ok. No one stopped by to check on us throughout out meal, if we needed anything or wanted another drink we had to try and stop any staff we could find. We flagged someone down for a dessert menu and once we were able to again flag someone down to order, it took an additional 45 minutes to come to the table. We were almost late for show. While the food itself was good, I would not recommend if you have some place to be after dinner. For a place near a theatre, not a good strategy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindScrumptiousnessDined on 9/16/2014Chose this place over others in the area for their reasonable prices on entrees and were not disappointed in the quality of the food. The porkchop was extremely moist and filled with flavor. Could have used an option for a reasonably priced side or dinner salad. I went with the mushroom soup as a starter, and although tasty, I would have preferred a salad. The ambiance was fun and eclectic. Would definitely recommend if you are looking for dinner before a show.Special Features:
- Great Lunch SpotErikDined on 9/16/2014Went with the Soup, Salad, and Sandwich combo. The beer cheese soup and BLT here are amazing. Really dig the architecture and styling inside. Don/t be fooled by the unassuming exterior. The sandwich menu is amazing as well. Check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Everything I OrderedVelk1976Dined on 9/13/2014I was on a girls weekend with friends. We walked into Picnic House a little skeptical of the name and the small menu. But the food was the best. One friend had the salmon with the strawberry glaze. I am not a big salmon fan, but was delicious. I had salmon envy and will try to make it at home. I ordered the chicken, not expecting much. It was so flavorful and juicy. I also split the mixed salad and it was great too. The berries and dressing were perfect.Special Features:
- nice surpriseJannaVIPDined on 9/11/2014It was great to find this wonderful restaurant just across the street from my hotel in Portland. My server was so personable, and my salmon dish was superb. I will go back the next time I am in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/8/2014Very loud. Portions relatively small, but prices good for quality and location. Drinks good, but small and spendy.
- DisappointingPDXdinerDined on 9/8/2014Exciting location, pleased to be able to host a business dinner right downtown within walking distance from meetings instead of having to get everyone in cars to the Pearl or Northwest. Plenty of staff on hand yet no one would acknowledge our presence, hostess finally sauntered to the front was ready to seat us, told her there was a reservation which she couldn't find then acted like it was a problem to seat us in an empty restaurant. Got seated and literally had to flag down the waiter EVERY time we needed anything. Several staff would walk right by, no one would make eye contact. So annoying. Only saving grace was the food, some was good some was very good. Stop trying so hard to be Portland hipsters and just do the job you're hired to doSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Great food, service was ok but left something to be desired. Servers were timid and did not visit the table frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Lunch SpotPortland541Dined on 9/2/2014The food was delicious, mostly sandwiches and salads, but all very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DE13Dined on 8/30/2014My wife had the cast iron chicken breast and said it was very good. I had the maple-brined pork chop and it was ok- the bread pudding that came with it was very good, though. Our reception by the hostess was luke warm and the waiter, though nice and professional, was absentee for long stretches even though we dined early in the evening and there were only a few other customers. The seating for two is a little awkward in that it is extremely close to the other two tops. The facility is nice and this restaurant has potential but we think they have some work to do.
- Excellent foodtangueraDined on 8/28/2014After a long drive we were happy to sit down at this unusual restaurant. It is built on/around the old lobby of the Heathman Hotel, and preserves its original black and white tiled floor and certain elements of its design. The server not only knew its history but was very proud of how the space was turned into a restaurant. The food was excellent - mushroom soup, skewer of beef tenderloin, and the stuffed portobello all made for a very satisfying supper.Special Features:
- Great Group MealRobFromDCVIPDined on 8/27/2014We hosted a large group dinner for my team. The service was attentive and thoughtful. Everyone enjoyed their meals and there was much talk about the cheesecake made with goat cheese the next day. I would also recommend the Brussels sprouts and cauliflower as shares. Thumbs up!Special Features:
- Amazing foodColHoganDined on 8/26/2014I was blown away by how good the food was. Too bad the service was poor -- I think the waiter was not too experienced -- I wont let that get in the way of me returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Great food!!! Priced very well with excellent qualitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at great prices!WAgirlDined on 8/25/2014Recently dined with 4 colleagues. Had the cheese plate and charcuterie (both deelish) plus cocktails, bottle of wine, small plates, entrees all for less than $250. Service was adequate. We liked the ambience- felt spacious and charming. The beets were fantastic, as was the cauliflower even though it was a tad dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MissyDined on 8/25/2014Delicious lunch! The food is so fresh and creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendy and deliciousacademicouttolunchDined on 8/22/2014This is a convenient place to meet friends or colleagues for lunch-a special treat!Special Features:
- So tasty!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/21/2014Was able to accommodate a large group on short notice. Food was AMAZING - small plates were great to share & entries are a good portion size. Very fairly priced - shared some small plates, each had an entree, split 4 desserts, & had wine/beer - bill was around $45 per person. You must get the pavlova for dessert!Special Features:
- convenient for theateraw3200Dined on 8/13/2014Convenient location for before or after theater. Service somewhat slow and inconsistent. Food was good, but not memorable. Their new bar is Barlow's, next door. Very interesting ambience and good appetizers.Special Features:
- Terrific sandwichesMikeVIPDined on 8/9/2014I went for lunch. They had a nice variety of sandwiches which are also served as half-sandwiches so that you can try more than one. The half-sandwiches can also be combined with half salads and cups of soup. try the smores dessert!Special Features:
- MaryDined on 8/8/2014We went to Picnic House because of the reviews and everything was so fantastic. 8 of us shared four small plates to start (beets, cauliflower, crositini and brussel sprouts). Then everyone loved their dinners - lots of yumms! And dessert - we shared the smore pie and grilled pound cake and the smore was so fantastic. Our server was wonderful, friendly and attentive. I'd go back anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delicious Menu at Good PricesfrankyDined on 8/5/2014The 4 of us enjoyed every order though our favorite was the stuffed portobello mushroom. The kitchen was cooperative when they could remove bacon. The interior is quirky and fun. The wait staff was outstanding and patient.Special Features:
- Great food but super loudanbayanyayDined on 8/5/2014The food was very good though the entree portion was smaller than I expected. It was still enough as it turned out and the appetizer was quite large. Decent beer taps, friendly service. One observation was that it was really loud. If I'd been carrying a conversation I'd have had trouble.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbDined on 8/4/2014Took a little too long to order but otherwise great food and very nice servers. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014Came here with a group to celebrate a friend's 40th bday. Wonderful atmosphere & decor, delicious food & cocktails, excellent, friendly service. Looking forward to bringing my husband here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumkristinDined on 7/30/2014I have gone for dinner and for lunch and both times excellent food. The only thing I would say negatively is that it is a little loud and hard to hear. But the food is worth the loudness!Special Features:
- fantastic findFloMofoodieVIPDined on 7/26/2014Great spot for a lunch (or brunch); close to hotel where our convention headquartered, food was delicious, service was impeccable, very reasonable prices as well. Thank you Picnic House for an enjoyable meal and experience.Special Features:
- DebbieJDined on 7/25/2014The ONLY thing I found lacking about the picnic house was the lighting in certain areas. My friend and I both noticed the flourescent lighting which seemed a little harsh in the front of the venue. However, the food was delicious and the drinks were fabulous!Special Features:
- Love2eatDined on 7/25/2014Food was very good. They seemed to be short-handed and consequently lacked in service.... hopefully they can fix this but I've talked to a couple people who have had the same experience. Lunch took an hour and 15 min. which doesn't sound that bad but we had people that needed to return to work. I changed the number in my party and they were very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality and CreativityFoodTravelerVIPDined on 7/24/2014Picnic house is serving up quality, locally sourced ingredients in creative preparations, and they are reasonably priced. Our server, the bar manager, was very knowledgeable on the menu and was able to make some great dining recommendaions. He has put some stupendously original and creative drinks on the menu, of which we tried too many! Can't wait for his 'Barlow' speakeasy to open in the adjoining space. P H has a small selection of local microbrews and a good selection of reasonably priced wines. Menu prices are reasonable too. The hostess was a bit 'rigid,' shall we say.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!BartonKeyesVIPDined on 7/24/2014In Portland for a conference, someone in a group had a birthday and we decided to come here. It did not disappoint. All the food was fresh, inventively cooked and presented, and incredibly flavorful--worthy of some of the coolest (though not the most pretentious) restaurants in Manhattan, where I live, at 2/3 the price. Service was friendly and informative. A terrific experience overall and we'd recommend it to everyone.Special Features:
- WOWZA!sdn8tvDined on 7/22/2014We were only in the area for a few short days. The Picnic House is a MUST for anyone who goes to Portland. The wine list is not so hot - but the food, mixed drinks, and ambiance are all STELLAR! Patrick was our server and he was great. The McMule (drink) = FANTASTIC! We had the chicken and sirloin, both were outstanding. We couldn't stop talking about how good the food and atmosphere were. There were kids there, so I suppose it's family friendly, but I would see this more as an adult place.Special Features: