The Picnic House
723 SW Salmon St.
Portland, OR 97205Neighborhood:
Downtown Portland - SW
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Picnic House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.picnichousepdx.com/
- Phone: 5032270705x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:00 AM - 3:00PM (Mon- Sat)
Dinner: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM (Mon-Wed); 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM (Thurs-Sat)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, French American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jessica Grimmer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us at www.PicnicHousePDX.com for catering information,
A word from The Picnic House
Located at the crossroads of Portland"s Business and Art Districts, the Picnic House is a excellent place for a quick, great-tasting lunch before heading back to work as well as the perfect place for dinner and drinks before or after seeing a show at one of Portland's theaters. Built out of the lobby of the original 1920's Heathman Hotel, the Picnic House offers a great ambiance of 30-foot vaulted ceilings and fluted wood columns along with Steam Punk touches of a monocled bear in a bowler hat and walls covered in moss and mosaics of copper printing plates. Head chef Jessica Grimmer creates seasonal menus that are familiar and nostalgic yet different and daring enough to peak both your interest and your appetite.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
The Picnic House - Best Restaurants in Downtown Portland - SW ›
The Picnic House reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (69)great for lunch (56)good for groups (51)neighborhood gem (39)special occasion (34)romantic (15)great for brunch (14)hot spot (13)kid-friendly (10)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (6)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- nice surpriseJannaVIPDined on 9/11/2014It was great to find this wonderful restaurant just across the street from my hotel in Portland. My server was so personable, and my salmon dish was superb. I will go back the next time I am in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/8/2014Very loud. Portions relatively small, but prices good for quality and location. Drinks good, but small and spendy.
- DisappointingPDXdinerDined on 9/8/2014Exciting location, pleased to be able to host a business dinner right downtown within walking distance from meetings instead of having to get everyone in cars to the Pearl or Northwest. Plenty of staff on hand yet no one would acknowledge our presence, hostess finally sauntered to the front was ready to seat us, told her there was a reservation which she couldn't find then acted like it was a problem to seat us in an empty restaurant. Got seated and literally had to flag down the waiter EVERY time we needed anything. Several staff would walk right by, no one would make eye contact. So annoying. Only saving grace was the food, some was good some was very good. Stop trying so hard to be Portland hipsters and just do the job you're hired to doSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Great food, service was ok but left something to be desired. Servers were timid and did not visit the table frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Lunch SpotPortland541Dined on 9/2/2014The food was delicious, mostly sandwiches and salads, but all very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DE13Dined on 8/30/2014My wife had the cast iron chicken breast and said it was very good. I had the maple-brined pork chop and it was ok- the bread pudding that came with it was very good, though. Our reception by the hostess was luke warm and the waiter, though nice and professional, was absentee for long stretches even though we dined early in the evening and there were only a few other customers. The seating for two is a little awkward in that it is extremely close to the other two tops. The facility is nice and this restaurant has potential but we think they have some work to do.
- Excellent foodtangueraDined on 8/28/2014After a long drive we were happy to sit down at this unusual restaurant. It is built on/around the old lobby of the Heathman Hotel, and preserves its original black and white tiled floor and certain elements of its design. The server not only knew its history but was very proud of how the space was turned into a restaurant. The food was excellent - mushroom soup, skewer of beef tenderloin, and the stuffed portobello all made for a very satisfying supper.Special Features:
- Great Group MealRobFromDCVIPDined on 8/27/2014We hosted a large group dinner for my team. The service was attentive and thoughtful. Everyone enjoyed their meals and there was much talk about the cheesecake made with goat cheese the next day. I would also recommend the Brussels sprouts and cauliflower as shares. Thumbs up!Special Features:
- Amazing foodColHoganDined on 8/26/2014I was blown away by how good the food was. Too bad the service was poor -- I think the waiter was not too experienced -- I wont let that get in the way of me returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Great food!!! Priced very well with excellent qualitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at great prices!WAgirlDined on 8/25/2014Recently dined with 4 colleagues. Had the cheese plate and charcuterie (both deelish) plus cocktails, bottle of wine, small plates, entrees all for less than $250. Service was adequate. We liked the ambience- felt spacious and charming. The beets were fantastic, as was the cauliflower even though it was a tad dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MissyDined on 8/25/2014Delicious lunch! The food is so fresh and creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendy and deliciousacademicouttolunchDined on 8/22/2014This is a convenient place to meet friends or colleagues for lunch-a special treat!Special Features:
- So tasty!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/21/2014Was able to accommodate a large group on short notice. Food was AMAZING - small plates were great to share & entries are a good portion size. Very fairly priced - shared some small plates, each had an entree, split 4 desserts, & had wine/beer - bill was around $45 per person. You must get the pavlova for dessert!Special Features:
- convenient for theateraw3200Dined on 8/13/2014Convenient location for before or after theater. Service somewhat slow and inconsistent. Food was good, but not memorable. Their new bar is Barlow's, next door. Very interesting ambience and good appetizers.Special Features:
- Terrific sandwichesMikeVIPDined on 8/9/2014I went for lunch. They had a nice variety of sandwiches which are also served as half-sandwiches so that you can try more than one. The half-sandwiches can also be combined with half salads and cups of soup. try the smores dessert!Special Features:
- MaryDined on 8/8/2014We went to Picnic House because of the reviews and everything was so fantastic. 8 of us shared four small plates to start (beets, cauliflower, crositini and brussel sprouts). Then everyone loved their dinners - lots of yumms! And dessert - we shared the smore pie and grilled pound cake and the smore was so fantastic. Our server was wonderful, friendly and attentive. I'd go back anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delicious Menu at Good PricesfrankyDined on 8/5/2014The 4 of us enjoyed every order though our favorite was the stuffed portobello mushroom. The kitchen was cooperative when they could remove bacon. The interior is quirky and fun. The wait staff was outstanding and patient.Special Features:
- Great food but super loudanbayanyayDined on 8/5/2014The food was very good though the entree portion was smaller than I expected. It was still enough as it turned out and the appetizer was quite large. Decent beer taps, friendly service. One observation was that it was really loud. If I'd been carrying a conversation I'd have had trouble.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbDined on 8/4/2014Took a little too long to order but otherwise great food and very nice servers. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014Came here with a group to celebrate a friend's 40th bday. Wonderful atmosphere & decor, delicious food & cocktails, excellent, friendly service. Looking forward to bringing my husband here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumkristinDined on 7/30/2014I have gone for dinner and for lunch and both times excellent food. The only thing I would say negatively is that it is a little loud and hard to hear. But the food is worth the loudness!Special Features:
- fantastic findFloMofoodieVIPDined on 7/26/2014Great spot for a lunch (or brunch); close to hotel where our convention headquartered, food was delicious, service was impeccable, very reasonable prices as well. Thank you Picnic House for an enjoyable meal and experience.Special Features:
- DebbieJDined on 7/25/2014The ONLY thing I found lacking about the picnic house was the lighting in certain areas. My friend and I both noticed the flourescent lighting which seemed a little harsh in the front of the venue. However, the food was delicious and the drinks were fabulous!Special Features:
- Love2eatDined on 7/25/2014Food was very good. They seemed to be short-handed and consequently lacked in service.... hopefully they can fix this but I've talked to a couple people who have had the same experience. Lunch took an hour and 15 min. which doesn't sound that bad but we had people that needed to return to work. I changed the number in my party and they were very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality and CreativityFoodTravelerVIPDined on 7/24/2014Picnic house is serving up quality, locally sourced ingredients in creative preparations, and they are reasonably priced. Our server, the bar manager, was very knowledgeable on the menu and was able to make some great dining recommendaions. He has put some stupendously original and creative drinks on the menu, of which we tried too many! Can't wait for his 'Barlow' speakeasy to open in the adjoining space. P H has a small selection of local microbrews and a good selection of reasonably priced wines. Menu prices are reasonable too. The hostess was a bit 'rigid,' shall we say.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!BartonKeyesVIPDined on 7/24/2014In Portland for a conference, someone in a group had a birthday and we decided to come here. It did not disappoint. All the food was fresh, inventively cooked and presented, and incredibly flavorful--worthy of some of the coolest (though not the most pretentious) restaurants in Manhattan, where I live, at 2/3 the price. Service was friendly and informative. A terrific experience overall and we'd recommend it to everyone.Special Features:
- WOWZA!sdn8tvDined on 7/22/2014We were only in the area for a few short days. The Picnic House is a MUST for anyone who goes to Portland. The wine list is not so hot - but the food, mixed drinks, and ambiance are all STELLAR! Patrick was our server and he was great. The McMule (drink) = FANTASTIC! We had the chicken and sirloin, both were outstanding. We couldn't stop talking about how good the food and atmosphere were. There were kids there, so I suppose it's family friendly, but I would see this more as an adult place.Special Features:
- brown rice salad is a mustluv2dineDined on 7/22/2014The brown rice salad makes me come back again and again. Also, the grilled cheese. And the pudding.Special Features:
- Accommodating for allergiesGlutenFreeTravelerDined on 7/21/2014So we had a work meeting and I have crazy allergies. They were very accommodating. While they do not have Gluten-free bread they can put any sandwhich on a bed of greens. All 4 of us at our table really enjoyed lunch. I recommend coming late for lunch if you would like a little quiter time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- character restaurantWinOneVIPDined on 7/21/2014This restaurant is inside the old lobby of what once was the Heathman Hotel, per staff there. Just loved the high ceiling and spaciousness of this gem of a restaurant. The sandwich and soup combo were delish and priced right.Special Features:
- Very accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/18/2014Made a last-minute reservation for a large party for lunch and the staff have everything ready for us within minutes, and they were very accommodating and considerate (some members of the lunch party were a little late...) I've only been here for lunch, but the food has always been consistently good. I always look forward to dining at the Picnic House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!looking4delishDined on 7/17/2014Simple items with sophisticated flavors. Fantastic selections with enough variety to please everyone in our group. YUMM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd Visit was a treat.Eater10000VIPDined on 7/16/2014I had gone a couple of weeks ago and was impressed. So, I decided to return with my spouse. We had a really good experience. The service was super friendly, plus they were short one person . . . thus, they get extra points for degree of difficulty. We had a great suggestion for a glass of Pinot Blanc from Alsace; kudos to the server. EVERYTHING on the menu sounds amazing, so one is almost forced to choose the "sampler" portions. The kitchen fulfilled the promise. The mushroom soup was very fresh and perfectly salted. The salads had the right mix of ingredients and the roasted tomato sandwich was full flavored. PS - They are opening a cocktail bar next door - Harlow - so that will make the list too!Special Features:
- A New FaveDaveDined on 7/11/2014There isn't much to dislike about The Picnic House. Mains/Appetizers that I can vouch for: Duckfat Potatoes with Horseradish Crème, Beet Salad, Cast Iron Chicken Skillet, Pan-Fried Salmon, Stuffed Portobello Mushroom (while the stuffing was a bit on the dry side for me, the flavors were exceptional), Sirloin Coulotte with Parmesan Quinoa Polenta (even better with a dash of the Horseradish Crème on the side), and Cheese Crostini with Honey and Almonds. As far as drinks go, The vodka-based Wallflower was an interesting concoction of rhubarb and tarragon, while the whiskey Gardenhead was particularly refreshing on a hot Portland day. Great prices with a bustling vibe, Picnic House is definitely worth a try if you haven't been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special lunchdwntwnDined on 7/10/2014Picnic House is a good choice for treating yourself, a friend or a small group to delicious hand-made food and beverages. On this occasion, we came here for a special lunch for a party of 8. We made an early (11:30) reservation as we've noticed it can get busy at the usual noon-ish rush. Service was friendly and fast and food was excellent. We like the way the menu is set up so you can choose combinations of lunch offerings if you wish to try more than just one item. The lower level can get a little noisy if there is an especially lively group but overall the noise is a moderate buzz. If you are alone or with 1 or 2 others the bar is a wonderful place to sit for skilled bartender service and often there is no wait even during lunch-rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hoped for Better DinnerRockyDined on 7/8/2014Tomato soup was good, salad good. My corn bread was cold and very dry - not moist as cornbread should be. Our server was very friendly, but he was serving many tables so we didn't see him much as the restaurant got busier. seemed a little shortstaffed. Good place but not great. I was a little disappointed, but i would try it again for lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Lunch!safarsagoodDined on 7/7/2014This is a great spot, with an open, bustling space. We had a wonderful lunch - the roasted tomato sandwich was delicious! I had to go again the following week because I was still thinking about it. And, so cool that they take lunch reservations - even for two!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good downtown diningJeffVIPDined on 7/2/2014We really enjoyed this place. We chose it for it's location but we're surprised by the nice selection and quality of options. We didn't expect salmon and pork chops from a place called the picnic house. The service was quite good. All in all, a good place who dine when downtown.
- Delicious!bellastellaVIPDined on 7/2/2014i can't believe that we haven't been to Picnic House before now. We had company staying over the week of July 4th and took a large group to lunch on our way home after an airport run. We all loved what we ordered. I can't wait to go back to have another BLT. The best bacon EVER!Special Features: