The Pickled Heron
2218 Frankford Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19125Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
The Pickled Heron
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thepickledheron.com/
- Phone: 2156345666x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Todd Braley and Daniela D'Ambrosio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Personal wines welcome, Private Room
- Private Party Facilities: We have a small semi-private dining space that can accommodate up to 15 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Daniela 2156345666x
A word from The Pickled Heron
The Pickled Heron is passionate about promoting local and seasonal products, staying in touch with the farms and farmers that supply us and producing artisanal breads and charcuterie to enhance the dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
The Pickled Heron - Best Restaurants in Northern Liberties ›
The Pickled Heron reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (43)fit for foodies (38)special occasion (25)romantic (25)good for groups (7)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- perfect dinnerCasitaDined on 8/8/2014first visit for restaurant week. Great corn soup and meat with regular portions (unlike many of the reataurant week menues. Dessert was good Ice cram and pastry. It is a BYOB, staff was grat serving the drinks. It is a beautiful setting, impeccable white tablecloths and delightful dinnerware. The neighborhood is worth exploringSpecial Features:
- Great find!EatingOutAgainDined on 8/8/2014Loved the food, service, and ambiance. Had the chicken in Hay. Moist tender and flavorful. Buttermilk ice cream on blueberry cake is great.Special Features:
- FantasticfarkleVIPDined on 8/2/2014This was our 6th trip to Pickled Heron and once again we had a delicious experience. It was restaurant week and my wife chose that menu while I went a la carte. If this restaurant was in center city it would be booked month's out.Special Features:
- Will definitely go here again!nottobecriticalDined on 8/2/2014The Pickled Heron was delicious! We started with the heirloom tomato salad, the baby arugula salad with peaches and bacon, and the moules frites. Everything was super fresh, but the mussels were the star. The saffron, mustard, white wine broth was fabulous, and the mussels were nice and fresh, no grit. The grilled shrimp entree was very simple, but cooked perfectly. My husband had a steak and he raved continuously as he ate it. Our other dining companion had the pork loin which he said he would get again in a second. Portions sizes were just right, we all cleaned out plates and felt satisfied, not bloated. Which was perfect because the desserts were excellent with the gateau with lavender, honey and sea salt being our favorite.Special Features:
- Best Neighborhood bistr0MarcpcDined on 7/26/2014Fine food, authentic, friendly staff...and it's easy to park in front.Special Features:
- Fishtown Gem!JDBphillyVIPDined on 7/5/2014This was our 2nd time to the Pickled Heron and we are planning on returning soon. Great BYOB away from the rush of Center City. My wife and I could not decide on an appetizer, so we ended up getting 3 entries. We started by sharing the scallops w/ pea pierogies and a carrot puree. Wonderful flavors as each item complimented the next. For the main dish, we selected the tilefish and duck breast. Each serving was enough to satisfy our hunger and allow for some take home. Also the bread! Home baked, sliced about ½ hour before we got there and delicious!! For dessert we took the strawberry short biscuit to go and like everything else - incredible!! Service, ambience, food all 5 stars!Special Features:
- Excellent food, hands-off serviceKentDined on 5/31/2014It is small and it was completely packed when we arrived, so it was a bit loud, but the noise wasn't problematic and it seemed quieter once we got into the meal. All of the food was excellent. For appetizers, we did the seared foie gras and lump crab cake and the lamb and duck entrees. The service was pretty hands-off. We brought a bottle of white wine (not the right wine for the entrees we decided on, but it's what we brought with us!) and the wait staff did not put it on ice for us to keep it chilled. We should have said something, but it didn't occur to us until we were midway through the meal and the wine was getting to be room temperature. Waitstaff also never refilled our glasses of water or wine. We'll go back for the food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/31/2014Wonderful small restaurant. Food was excellent, portions smallish. Desserts slightly less outstanding. It could benefit from some noise absorption, but overall a very nice experience.Special Features:
- Food good but not enoughhungryVIPDined on 5/29/2014The food is good but the portions are really small.Special Features:
- Fishtown PioneeringCharlieVIPDined on 5/17/2014We have dined at TPH probably 5 times since it opened approximately 2 years ago. Each time we had a very nice experience. The apps and mains are always well thought out and carefully prepared, nice twists on the French experience. Service has always been the best..we have had the same waitress almost every visit..so its a good place to work too...gives off that kind of vibe. Just wish they took credit cards, but you can't have everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining ExperienceThePhillyPorkchopDined on 5/16/2014I went to the Pickled Heron on a Friday evening and had a delicious meal. I started off with the foie gras as an appetizer which was truly out of this world. I then had the pan seared duck with pea risotto with trumpet mushrooms which was amazing. I loved every aspect of my meal. My date had the pan seared scallops with asparagus which was also extremely delightful on the palate. Another great thing about this french inspired restaurant is that it is a BYO which makes it very affordable. I highly recommend it to everyone especially for a nice romantic dinner or for a nice dinner with family and friends. I will absolutely be back....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinners and DessertspatThaiDined on 5/13/2014Pickled Heron is something different from the many cafe/bars in Fishtown. Higher end dinners and delightfully different desserts. Menu had a choice for everyone. Plenty of Fish to choose from and varied meats and vegetables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014Phenomenal dining experience! The good is fresh, tasty, and the portions are generous. We couldn't find room to finish our entrees, but can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch tomorrow! An extremely friend staff (I highly recommend Sean if you are able to have him as your server), and the chefs are absolutely lovely. We can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great little placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2014Went for Mother's Day brunch and had a fantastic meal. Too bad this little gem is not open regularly for weekend brunch. Food was outstanding.
- Unique Restaurant, Intimate space1n1mDined on 5/10/2014Went on a Saturday night and had a very nice time. Unique menu items with locally sourced and foraged ingredients. Food was good but a bit on the delicate-flavor (bland) side.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/9/2014Always a favorite, and we love to take friends to this interesting neighborhood restaurant with excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome BYOOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/6/2014Daniella and Todd are amazing chefs! The scallops, lobster, mussels, and dessert were out of this world!! Thank you for a great dinner :)Special Features:
- Fishtown spotNolsVIPDined on 5/3/2014A terrific restaurant off the beaten track Worth the trip from Center CitySpecial Features:
- YcookVIPDined on 5/3/2014Nice, quiet, relaxed atmosphere with good food and service in an"off the beaten track" location.Special Features:
- The following 232 reviews are from the The Pickled Heron reviews archive.
- Great experienceCyndeeDined on 4/26/2014Thanks for a lovely evening. We enjoyed the food, service and a place where we could relax and enjoy our friends. Loved the fact that it was byob!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My AdviceDisappointedVIPDined on 4/19/2014I can't think of enough adjectives to describe our experience. From the perfect server to scrumptious dishes, this place is one of Philly's best stops. Just go!Special Features:
- nice dinner!stmshopDined on 4/12/2014First time dining here. Good service and good food to enjoy with our friends. We will return.Special Features:
- PleasedPHILLY4Dined on 4/5/2014Everything was very good. We found a parking spot on the street two doors down but on the sidewalk outside the restarants was trash and a random cheese steak smashed all over the sidewalk, luckily we dodged it ! So initially we were concerned but inside was clean and beautiful .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully prepared/presented mealMsavage444Dined on 4/5/2014This is one of my favorite spots in all of Fishtown! Great service and fantastic food perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday celebrationElyseUUVIPDined on 3/21/2014Six of us went to TPH for my birthday. We were greeted warmly and shown to our table. It is a small restaurant but you don't feel it. It is a BYOB and the wait staff made sure we had the right glasses for our different wines. The menu is small but just right. I loved my veal breast! I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Good service but food too toughOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Atmosphere was great, and food was very creative. But the duck and the steak were too chewy. Good flavor, but the food texture needs to be improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2014Family event, so there were two grandchildren in the group of six. Nice round table in a corner for us. Waiter and staff handled us all really nicely. Dinner was really good with couple of entrees and combinations of soups, salads, and starters taking care of our appetites. This night was at least our fifth dinner at PH - it's right at the top of our list for Philadelphia dining. Went home for family birthday cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than Laban advertised!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/6/2014Those of us who have gone to Bibou over the years have done so strictly for the extraordinary quality of the cooking -- not the ambiance. Now there's a place you can experience equivalent modern bistro fare within a charming, polished and comfortable environment. There were three in our party and each of us would rate every aspect of our experience at the Painted Heron as excellent. Standout dishes included the arctic char gravlax with a pungent olive tapenade, the seared sea bass, the duck confit cavatelli and the beef bourgignon. Desserts were also wonderful, especially the creme brûlée. It's a byob and even the wine glasses were high quality. Highly recommended in all respects -- and very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/22/2014Terrific food. Excellent, low-stress environs. Great staff. All good.Special Features:
- Tried but missedMikewDined on 2/21/2014Was very excited to try this Resturant. The three of us ordered the crispy duck entre as an appetizer. The crispy duck was served rare. Was not happy. Moved to the $14 grilled calamari and wondered where the rest of the order was. The high point of the meal was the foie gras course. Excellent..!! The jam paired deliciously as our 2001 Sauterne. Our waitress was nice, put up with jesting and had a fun spirit. We then split the steak Bavette and the seared stripped bass. Presentation was really sloppy and the fish was smelly and we three did not eat it. We mentioned this to the waiter, saw him tell the two chefs, but nothing was done about our concerns.....NOTHING. Creme brulet for dessert. No interest in returning.
- Fabulous..we have enjoyedMuffinVIPDined on 2/21/2014Fabulous..we have enjoyed many meals at The Pickled Heron~ Food is always seasonal, creative and delicious. Todd, Daniella and staff truly care about your dinning experience. Make sure Shaun is your server. Foie gras was spectacular (as usual). Venison special was tender, cooked perfectly with perfectly prepared Brussels sprouts. Crème brulee rockedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Every Timeilike2eatfoodDined on 2/16/2014I've come to the Pickled Heron countless times, and every time and every dish is great. The deserts are probably my favorite post, if I'm to be honest; they make everything from scratch, get as much local as possible, and reply care about their food. It's a great place to go if you're near Fishtown... or even if you aren't.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pickled Heron wins againHappyFullDined on 2/15/2014Got to try an array of duck-based spreads prepared in a way that was entirely new to me. All was delicious. The bass was the perfect temperature and consistency, with delicious fresh kale beneath. Our opera torte was great and the exact right size for two to share. A great dinner for my girlfriend and I, BYOB for a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a break!SmittyDined on 2/12/2014We had our meeting at the Pickled Heron in their curtained off area and I must say that we were so caught up with the great ambience, food, and service that for a moment we forgot about the snow & ice. What a break it was for our gang to have our meeting there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodJimwithJenVIPDined on 2/6/2014I have never had a bad dinner here as everything is always great. Get away from the chain restaurants and enjoy some fine dining here. It is a BYOB with street parking. We usually get all three courses so it can be a bit expensive but cheeper than a trip to France and they now take Credit Cards! I would like to tell you what is good here but the menu is ever changing due to what is fresh and in season. So don't be afraid to try something new as everything I have tried here has been exceptional. My tip would be to go early (6ish) as it is nice and quiet and you can make sure you get first choice on the menu. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- favorite French restaurantomnivoreDined on 2/1/2014This place is the best. The food is creative and delicious and the preparation is always perfect. The service is excellent as well. Love it.Special Features:
- a gem in FishtownSdSHVIPDined on 1/31/2014What a surprise find for us -- The Pickled Heron. I'm glad that it was Restaurant Week and I couldn't get a reservation at any of the BYOBs I usually like in Old City! There was the Pickled Heron with an opening. The restaurant is darling -- from the moment we entered using the beautiful bronze heron door handle. Menu was interesting and had something for everyone in our group. Moules Frites was outstanding, as was the sea bass, duck and little neck clams in fennel stew. Delicious and reasonably priced. Easy parking. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was great but itcookieDined on 1/18/2014Everything was great but it was cold every time door opened.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantatsicOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/11/2014Great neighborhood place and the food was fantastic. It could have used some music, however!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The stormLobsterVIPDined on 1/3/2014We were the only 4 in the restaurant on Friday night and had a lovely meal. They stayed open just for us which was greatly appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.