The Pickled Heron
2218 Frankford Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19125Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
The Pickled Heron
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thepickledheron.com/
- Phone: 2156345666x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Todd Braley and Daniela D'Ambrosio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Personal wines welcome, Private Room
- Private Party Facilities: We have a small semi-private dining space that can accommodate up to 15 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Daniela 2156345666x
A word from The Pickled Heron
The Pickled Heron is passionate about promoting local and seasonal products, staying in touch with the farms and farmers that supply us and producing artisanal breads and charcuterie to enhance the dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Pickled Heron - Best Restaurants in Northern Liberties ›
The Pickled Heron reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (50)fit for foodies (44)special occasion (26)romantic (26)good for groups (6)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- It'd be a gem in any neighborhoodCrustyCurmudgeonVIPDined on 10/19/2014The Pickled Heron is the shy, unassuming beauty who lives next door. Her presence delights everyone with whom she interacts, & she's so much more than just a pretty face. We met 2 other couples there for dinner last night for an amazing meal, starting with a charcuterie board for each pair (duck rillettes starring among cured meats and pâté). The others enjoyed their moules frites as much as I did my salad, & the main courses were all superb: grilled steak, skate wing, duck breast, lobster cavatelli, grilled shrimp - choosing among them would be harder than picking your favorite child. The room is simple, inviting, and filled with great local art. The small staff is more than up to the task. Thank you, Todd & Daniela - you're appreciated!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty b+BillyDined on 10/17/2014Food was very good. A little heavy. Service wasn't great, but that's the case with byos. So no real complaints. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greg Moore wine/PH FOODlargreenVIPDined on 10/16/2014A very special and well executed wine dinner with excellent wine/food paringsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not too goodKCK2Dined on 10/16/2014The lamb was fatty. The food was too complicated. I like simple food. It was tasteless. I did love the soup.
- FantasticDiscerningMeDined on 10/14/2014The food was excellent. You can tell that the pair in the kitchen, which is open, put a lot of time and love into their cooking. The octopus appetizer was the most tender and flavorful that I've ever tasted. Our entrees were cooked and seasoned perfectly. We'll certainly be back!Special Features:
- Not what we expectedJR45Dined on 10/11/2014After reading the reviews I thought we would have a memorable experience, but the memories were not great. The octopus appetizer was cold, it was supposed to warm and very rubbery. it was also minuscule in portion for $14. The apple soup was tepid and had a blob of cheese floating in it which was tasteless. The main course saved the evening, the steak was done perfectly and the corn/muffin combination was a great add on. The noise level is akin to a busy train station. Not sure we will repeat.Service was very slow and perhaps explains the cold food.
- Top Fisftown BYOBusinessLunchVIPDined on 10/11/2014Truly good food with incredible service. This is yet one more reason to go to Fishtown. The Pickled Beets were particularly impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always greatMikeVIPDined on 10/4/2014I have dined here a number of times and it's always wonderful. The food is deliciously tended to with attention that makes me feel completely over-indulged afterwards. The atmosphere and service make you feel warm and welcomed.Special Features:
- Very good!ckjdinerVIPDined on 10/4/2014The food was very good. We especially enjoyed the muscles. My husbands soup was good but could have been a bit more flavorful. He had steak as his entree which was perfectly cooked! My veal was very good but I thought his steak surpassed it. The ambience was nice, a bit quiet, I suspect because we were there on the earlier side. The server was very attentive and helpful when it came to the menu. Overall, it was a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bangin!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/24/2014Food so good. Great menu. Good vibes. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ahead of the CurveFishtownDentistDined on 9/20/2014I am proud to have such a fine French bistro-type restaurant in my very own Fishtown. Pickled Heron broke the barrier here of only bar food pizza. It is a wonderful, cozy BYOB that delivers fine dining at a very high level. We were attended to by Sean (Shaun?), who made sure that every detail was taken care of in a very timely manner. The menu is varied enough to suit every palate. I started with the Foie Gras, which had a delicious smoky flavor and was quite enjoyable. The grilled octopus appetizer was cooked to perfection, not chewy at all. Our entree selections of veal breast and duck breast were surprisingly large portions, which I never expected (but was happy with) from a french restaurant. I can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Always awesome!!!!ZsuzsibVIPDined on 9/6/2014This is my go to place for sophisticated, great food. It's one of those special places tucked away in a funky neighborhood. Try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- centercitygalVIPDined on 9/6/2014We had some very good dishes here including the foie gras and the grilled shrimp. We especially enjoyed the dessert, blueberry cake with buttermilk gelato. However, the noise level rose as the evening progressed, and it was impossible to talk.Special Features:
- perfect dinnerCasitaDined on 8/8/2014first visit for restaurant week. Great corn soup and meat with regular portions (unlike many of the reataurant week menues. Dessert was good Ice cram and pastry. It is a BYOB, staff was grat serving the drinks. It is a beautiful setting, impeccable white tablecloths and delightful dinnerware. The neighborhood is worth exploringSpecial Features:
- Great find!EatingOutAgainDined on 8/8/2014Loved the food, service, and ambiance. Had the chicken in Hay. Moist tender and flavorful. Buttermilk ice cream on blueberry cake is great.Special Features:
- FantasticfarkleVIPDined on 8/2/2014This was our 6th trip to Pickled Heron and once again we had a delicious experience. It was restaurant week and my wife chose that menu while I went a la carte. If this restaurant was in center city it would be booked month's out.Special Features:
- Will definitely go here again!nottobecriticalDined on 8/2/2014The Pickled Heron was delicious! We started with the heirloom tomato salad, the baby arugula salad with peaches and bacon, and the moules frites. Everything was super fresh, but the mussels were the star. The saffron, mustard, white wine broth was fabulous, and the mussels were nice and fresh, no grit. The grilled shrimp entree was very simple, but cooked perfectly. My husband had a steak and he raved continuously as he ate it. Our other dining companion had the pork loin which he said he would get again in a second. Portions sizes were just right, we all cleaned out plates and felt satisfied, not bloated. Which was perfect because the desserts were excellent with the gateau with lavender, honey and sea salt being our favorite.Special Features:
- Best Neighborhood bistr0MarcpcVIPDined on 7/26/2014Fine food, authentic, friendly staff...and it's easy to park in front.Special Features:
- Fishtown Gem!JDBphillyVIPDined on 7/5/2014This was our 2nd time to the Pickled Heron and we are planning on returning soon. Great BYOB away from the rush of Center City. My wife and I could not decide on an appetizer, so we ended up getting 3 entries. We started by sharing the scallops w/ pea pierogies and a carrot puree. Wonderful flavors as each item complimented the next. For the main dish, we selected the tilefish and duck breast. Each serving was enough to satisfy our hunger and allow for some take home. Also the bread! Home baked, sliced about ½ hour before we got there and delicious!! For dessert we took the strawberry short biscuit to go and like everything else - incredible!! Service, ambience, food all 5 stars!Special Features:
- The following 245 reviews are from the The Pickled Heron reviews archive.
- Excellent food, hands-off serviceKentDined on 5/31/2014It is small and it was completely packed when we arrived, so it was a bit loud, but the noise wasn't problematic and it seemed quieter once we got into the meal. All of the food was excellent. For appetizers, we did the seared foie gras and lump crab cake and the lamb and duck entrees. The service was pretty hands-off. We brought a bottle of white wine (not the right wine for the entrees we decided on, but it's what we brought with us!) and the wait staff did not put it on ice for us to keep it chilled. We should have said something, but it didn't occur to us until we were midway through the meal and the wine was getting to be room temperature. Waitstaff also never refilled our glasses of water or wine. We'll go back for the food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/31/2014Wonderful small restaurant. Food was excellent, portions smallish. Desserts slightly less outstanding. It could benefit from some noise absorption, but overall a very nice experience.Special Features:
- Food good but not enoughhungryVIPDined on 5/29/2014The food is good but the portions are really small.Special Features:
- Fishtown PioneeringCharlieVIPDined on 5/17/2014We have dined at TPH probably 5 times since it opened approximately 2 years ago. Each time we had a very nice experience. The apps and mains are always well thought out and carefully prepared, nice twists on the French experience. Service has always been the best..we have had the same waitress almost every visit..so its a good place to work too...gives off that kind of vibe. Just wish they took credit cards, but you can't have everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining ExperienceThePhillyPorkchopDined on 5/16/2014I went to the Pickled Heron on a Friday evening and had a delicious meal. I started off with the foie gras as an appetizer which was truly out of this world. I then had the pan seared duck with pea risotto with trumpet mushrooms which was amazing. I loved every aspect of my meal. My date had the pan seared scallops with asparagus which was also extremely delightful on the palate. Another great thing about this french inspired restaurant is that it is a BYO which makes it very affordable. I highly recommend it to everyone especially for a nice romantic dinner or for a nice dinner with family and friends. I will absolutely be back....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinners and DessertspatThaiDined on 5/13/2014Pickled Heron is something different from the many cafe/bars in Fishtown. Higher end dinners and delightfully different desserts. Menu had a choice for everyone. Plenty of Fish to choose from and varied meats and vegetables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014Phenomenal dining experience! The good is fresh, tasty, and the portions are generous. We couldn't find room to finish our entrees, but can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch tomorrow! An extremely friend staff (I highly recommend Sean if you are able to have him as your server), and the chefs are absolutely lovely. We can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great little placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2014Went for Mother's Day brunch and had a fantastic meal. Too bad this little gem is not open regularly for weekend brunch. Food was outstanding.
- Unique Restaurant, Intimate space1n1mDined on 5/10/2014Went on a Saturday night and had a very nice time. Unique menu items with locally sourced and foraged ingredients. Food was good but a bit on the delicate-flavor (bland) side.
- N2PairDined on 5/9/2014Always a favorite, and we love to take friends to this interesting neighborhood restaurant with excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome BYOOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/6/2014Daniella and Todd are amazing chefs! The scallops, lobster, mussels, and dessert were out of this world!! Thank you for a great dinner :)Special Features:
- Fishtown spotNolsVIPDined on 5/3/2014A terrific restaurant off the beaten track Worth the trip from Center CitySpecial Features:
- YcookVIPDined on 5/3/2014Nice, quiet, relaxed atmosphere with good food and service in an"off the beaten track" location.Special Features:
- Great experienceCyndeeDined on 4/26/2014Thanks for a lovely evening. We enjoyed the food, service and a place where we could relax and enjoy our friends. Loved the fact that it was byob!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My AdviceDisappointedVIPDined on 4/19/2014I can't think of enough adjectives to describe our experience. From the perfect server to scrumptious dishes, this place is one of Philly's best stops. Just go!Special Features:
- nice dinner!stmshopDined on 4/12/2014First time dining here. Good service and good food to enjoy with our friends. We will return.Special Features:
- PleasedPHILLY4VIPDined on 4/5/2014Everything was very good. We found a parking spot on the street two doors down but on the sidewalk outside the restarants was trash and a random cheese steak smashed all over the sidewalk, luckily we dodged it ! So initially we were concerned but inside was clean and beautiful .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully prepared/presented mealMsavage444Dined on 4/5/2014This is one of my favorite spots in all of Fishtown! Great service and fantastic food perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday celebrationElyseUUVIPDined on 3/21/2014Six of us went to TPH for my birthday. We were greeted warmly and shown to our table. It is a small restaurant but you don't feel it. It is a BYOB and the wait staff made sure we had the right glasses for our different wines. The menu is small but just right. I loved my veal breast! I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Good service but food too toughOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Atmosphere was great, and food was very creative. But the duck and the steak were too chewy. Good flavor, but the food texture needs to be improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerN2PairDined on 3/7/2014Family event, so there were two grandchildren in the group of six. Nice round table in a corner for us. Waiter and staff handled us all really nicely. Dinner was really good with couple of entrees and combinations of soups, salads, and starters taking care of our appetites. This night was at least our fifth dinner at PH - it's right at the top of our list for Philadelphia dining. Went home for family birthday cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.