The People’s Kitchen & Citizen Wine Bar
1 Exchange Place
Worcester, MA 01608Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
The People’s Kitchen & Citizen Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.1nichexchange.com/
- Phone: 5084599090
- Hours of Operation:
The Citizen: Monday - Wednesday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am, CLOSED SUNDAY The People's Kitchen: Wednesday & Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Steve Champagne
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We provide different sized spaces to accommodate parties of 20-150
- Private Party Contact: Debra Covino 5084599090
- Entertainment: The Patio and Speakeasy feature live acts that change on the weekends.
A word from The People’s Kitchen & Citizen Wine Bar
The People's Kitchen of The Citizen is about hand crafted artisanal products prepared by our chefs for the people. We buy, butcher and utilize whole animal with our in house charcuterie and dry aging regimens. We are also committed to locally produced and grown products, as we celebrate food as it was intended to be consumed. The People's Kitchen of The Citizen is a revolution of food, drink and conversation and will not be televised. Vive la Food! Dining is available upstairs in The People's Kitchen Wednesday through Saturday with an ever-changing menu focused on seasonal products. You may also dine with us at our wine bar, which offers a full menu, including our Signature TPK steaks, with a focus on artisinal cheeses and chocolates. Outdoor Patio seating is available and heated and covered during colder months. PLEASE let us know where you would like to sit when you make your reservation in the "Special Request" box. Thank You.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The People’s Kitchen & Citizen Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Worcester ›
The People’s Kitchen & Citizen Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
152 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (108)special occasion (78)romantic (66)notable wine list (64)neighborhood gem (51)good for groups (46)vibrant bar scene (33)hot spot (26)late-night find (15)great for outdoor dining (15)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- My New FavoritemrsbodwellDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I were recommended this restaurant for our anniversary so we gave it a try and we LOVED it! The $35 pre-fix menu and a great deal, we added on a cheese plate that was amazing and the wine pairing with each course was spot on. Our server was very nice and helpful with suggestions. The food was terrific!Special Features:
- Fabulous experience!FineFoodieDined on 10/18/2014My first time at the People's Kitchen. Best food and atmosphere in Worcester. The service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet food-great priceFoodieDined on 10/11/2014We were seated in a private alcove that provided a quiet setting, where we didn't feel like our conversation was being listen to by others. There was an open dining room through our private hallway, where tables near each other and not so intimate. They have a good variety of cheese plate selections. There was an extensive wine lists and other beverages. Three course meal includes appetizer, main course and dessert is $35. They had delicious variety for each course that included vegetarian options. The menu changes according to the time of year, therefore another visit would provide new dishes to choose from for a new dining experience. Each course was extremely appealing to the eye and taste! Wait staff was attentive to your needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingDebbieDined on 10/11/2014We made reservations with Open Table at the The People's Kitchen and Citizen Wine Bar for a party of 7. Everyone's food was outstanding as well as prepared perfectly. The service was exceptional. We love this restaurant for any type of gathering and romantic dinners for two. We have been to the restaurant many times and have always enjoyed our dining experiences each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My boys loved it too...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/11/2014We were extremely surprised at how much we loved this restaurant. All the food that we ordered was well-prepared and extremely tasty. My grade school children loved the duck breast in the charcuterie plate (they were fighting for it!) and the home-made soft pretzels, and chocolate truffles. I had the butternut squash ravioli which highlighted the flavor of the butternut, accented beautifully with small nuggets of pancetta. if there was anything to improve, the s'mores creme brûlée - although it was very good -- could have been thought out a little more; would have preferred to have a marshmallow creme on top, rather than marshmallow with burned tops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeCrazy4FoodDined on 10/8/2014Have been here to dine on numerous occasions. Every single time the service and food has been amazing. I look forward to the monthly menus. Group on deals rock! It was definitely an experience worth having. 100% recommended. The chef plays with various flavor profiles which in my opinion, opens even the most conservative taste buds to a whole new world. We enjoyed ourselves so much that our 6:30 movie became a 7:30 movie and we were rushing to make it in time! Our waitress was hospitable and pleasant. Throughout our meal we were always on their mind evident by the repeated "is there anything I could get for you?" Question which was greatly appreciated. Thanks for an amazing evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantastickerryyoDined on 10/4/2014our son and his fiancée are holding their wedding reception here so we went just to get a feel for the place and its food. Wow. It was absolutely fantastic! The menu is rather small but does seem to have a little something for everyone! On a personal note, their "American chop suey" was aahhhh-mazing! Made with a thick meaty bolognese, it was off the charts! And a favorite appetizer: their Rosemary caramel popcorn. Yup. Unbelievable.Special Features:
- Repeat customerBkclubmbrDined on 10/4/2014Enjoyed dinner for four ...with each person very satisfied with their selection. Of special note were the filet and the scallops. Be sure to save room for dessert here. The peach bread pudding with vanilla ice cream was positively delicious.Special Features:
- Rookie experienceDisappointedDined on 10/4/2014Unprofessional staff that did not appear to have adequate training.. Forgot to take the drink order after arriving, did not deliver the bread until asked, and delivered the wrong appetizer. Manager offered a complimentary drink and we still got billed for it! Overall, very inattentive to thier customers.
- Great MealFoodiefanaticsDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I went here for early reservations (5:30) it wasn't packed yet, so it was nice. The service was very good until the end when the place started to fill up and the bartender that took our order became busy. It didn't really bother us, just took us a bit longer to get out of there and make the table available. The food and drinks were absolutely fantastic! Overall we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheese, Wine, Dine, and ChocolatesteelbladeninjaDined on 10/3/2014Great date night, well worth the trek from Boston. The cheese plate and chocolate sampler were fantastic (the smoked duck breast was phenomenal). We had fantastic service and our early reservation (6 PM) was a great time to get a relatively quiet start and watch the bar come alive as the night progressed. Our server was very attentive of a gluten allergy and did well in steering us clear of potential trouble dishes. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LackingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Poor service, 10min wait for food order from a completely disinterested server. Also, we were a party of 5 and they sat us in the worst way for enjoying each others company. We tried to gain the attention of the server to change the situation but succesfully ignored us. Food quality was decent but overall boring taste - not really worth the price.
- Very pleasant mealanonDined on 10/1/2014Prix fixe menu is limited but good. All of us enjoyed the short-ribs and bread pudding. Good serviceSpecial Features:
- An okay experiencePattyPVIPDined on 9/27/2014We were going to a show after dinner, so we looked for a place that had good food and efficient service. We were seated downstairs in the bar area, instead of upstairs in the dining area. In addition to a filled-restaurant, there was also a wedding going on, so service was stretched. Our server however was fairly quick. The food was good - we had the hamburger which was amazing, a reuben, which was okay - a bit greasy; and the mac and cheese which was adequate. The flavor and quality of the burger was excellent.Special Features:
- YUMMYmuffyDined on 9/26/2014The chef is a rock star-have eaten here many times. ALWAYS wondefulSpecial Features:
- A great findGregDined on 9/26/2014I went to this restaurant for my birthday and am soo happy that I did. We did the wine pairings with our meals and it really added an extra touch. Our steaks were amazing and our server was very nice. I absolutely cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good exeriencePembury19Dined on 9/19/2014We are always looking for nicer places to eat in Worcester. Finally grabbed the Groupon and tried Peoples Kitchen. We were very pleased. 3 course menu changes often but the choices available when we went all looked great. We started out with a cheese platter which was perfect amount of nosh to get started with cocktail (nice variety of specialty drinks). food was all good from start to finish. Took about half hour for us to get appetizer, which is the only blemish on my review.Special Features:
- You don't know what you are missingRevDocDinerDined on 9/19/2014If you dine out in Worcester and have not yet gone to Citizen's Wine Bar & The People's Kitchen then you absolutely do not know what you are missing. This downtown gem features a cozy and friendly bar with an excellent selection of innovative cocktails, wine and beer on tap along with a diverse and reasonably priced wine list, delectable cheeses, and their own in house made charcuterie. Upstairs from the Citizen Wine Bar is The People's Kitchen, a remarkable farm to table restaurant where everything is prepared to order located in a serene, non rushed, quiet atmosphere where the service is polite, attentive, and knowledgeable, the food is outstanding, and a Prix Fixe option of appetizer, main course, and desert that is well worth getting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday evening treatanonDined on 9/14/2014Due to being a Sunday ate in the bar so a little noisier. Prixe fixe meal was very good, especially pork belly starter and scallop entree which was outstanding. Enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must go toOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Went for my husband's birthday. Our Server Ben was knowledgeable and a great help when deciding what to order and accommodating my allergy. TOP NOTCH food, as always. Love it here. Big fan of the Creme Brulee dessert.Special Features:
- Expecting moreLolliePDined on 9/13/2014Really wanted to love our dinner after having a great experience with Travis at the bar a couple weeks previous. But the dinner was just OK. Cocktails we ordered to start at $12 came about 3/4 full in the martini glass, just thought for that price they should have been filled to the brim ... they were tasty. We all had the three course menu, my arugula/beet salad was overdressed and just again "OK" my husbands pork belly was pretty good, son had a basic Caesar salad. For entrees we had scallops - the best of the three, tuna, and short ribs. Nothing really "wowed" us which isn't all bad. The s'mores creme brûlée was overkill will marshmallows and sweetness and the peach bread pudding had totally hard, unripe peaches. Hostess was great !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the triplockestepDined on 9/12/2014Excellent food, creative presentation. Waitress was very helpful, guided us well on choices including offering a small taste of a by-the-glass wine. Free valet parking a nice touch, decor warm. Filet was outstanding, tuna quite good. The oysters three way was a killer starter. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Dinner!TapasDelightDined on 9/9/2014My husband and I came here for my birthday the other night. Service was great, food was delicious. I had oysters 3 ways as an app, a must try! both our ribeye and short rib were cooked perfectly and the smores creme brulee, get outta here! A must stop dinner place!Special Features:
- Delish!!!AmazingVIPDined on 9/5/2014This certainly wasn't our first time to PC. We totally love this place and the service is super great! The food is phenomenal! Can't wait to go back again!Special Features:
- Great food - good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Was taking my sister to a show and the server was aware of our time limit and helped us accordingly. We had a great meal. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- mixed bagOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014My meal was a mixed bag. Filet was cooked perfect, medium rare. Glaze was tasty. Potatoes were weird. Couldn't quite put my finger on what seemed strange about the potatoes but than it came to me…they were boxed instant potatoes! Why would a restaurant of this supossed caliber use instant potatoes???Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014The food was delicious but expensive. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable evening with friendsanonDined on 8/29/2014Prix fixe meal was very good with sufficient choice. We all enjoyed both food and presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So goodCheckpleaseDined on 8/23/2014Had our third dinner here ant this was THE best. Enjoyed the wine pairing with each course. My husband had steak and I had swordfish. We were eating off each other's plates. SOOOO GOODSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencebubbachukaDined on 8/23/2014Must get the cheese board !!!! Dinner for 4 (via a Groupon) great cocktails......desert I think was the low point after the first 2 courses....Special Features:
- wouldnotgobackDined on 8/23/2014The salmon and swordfish were cooked perfectly but both sides were not very good.The barbeque sauce on the short ribs didn't work too strong as was the sauce on the potato salad but the room and service were very good.Special Features:
- Good food - eclectic menuKLD1973Dined on 8/22/2014Our first time eating here on a Friday night and it was not very full so don't know if this is typical but reservations probably not needed. Knowledgable waitress regarding cheese with great recommendation. Filet was good; not as perfect as Chop House due to a good amount of fat remaining on one side of filet and not seared off, but rest of filet was very nice. Great wine pairing for filet also. Spouse had salmon, which although waitress noted chef recommended cooking temp., came somewhat overcooked, so a little disappointing. Would definitely go back to sit in the bar area for appetizers because that seemed to be the winning food of the night, but also because the dining room chairs are uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service needs work but food greatMacdinerDined on 8/21/2014Arrived at 605pm and told waitress we had a show at 8pm. Took 20 min to get our drink order. Food didn't come out until 735 and we thus left at 810pm and was late for our show. Saw her more times in three min trying to get her money than we did the whole time we were there. I'm torn on returning because of the service only because the food was so amazing!Special Features:
- Never Disappointing - NEVERMurphy09VIPDined on 8/16/2014This place is top notch. The food, the service, the ambiance... This place consistently delivers a high quality experience. Just go and experience for yourself.Special Features:
- Beyond Expectations....GraftoncoupleDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our evening here and the food and service exceeded our expectations. We've eaten here before but it was more than a year ago. I had forgotten how wonderful their dishes are and the genuine excellence in their service. The waiter was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodfoodisgreatDined on 8/15/2014It was our third time there and we knew we would have a nice meal but this time we sat in a small room between the 2 main rooms and smelled cigar smoke from the cigar bar on the first floor. The food was still delicious and we had good table service but ask for another table if you find yourself in the same spot.Special Features:
- Great Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Wonderful place had an great meal I had the aged ribeye and duck and cheese tray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Went here for our anniversary dinner. Food was superb as usual. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Just okGardengal1VIPDined on 8/9/2014The wine selection and pairing was good. The appetizer and desserts where good but my entree was just ok. The " creamy" lobster risotto was not creamy it was dry and bland; lobster pieces were small and few and far between. This was a special for restaurant week. Perhaps the standard menu items are better.Special Features:
- I wanted to love itRitagonzVIPDined on 8/9/2014And I think that if I come for wine and cheese (their charcuterie and cheese board for $21 is a steal!), I would enjoy it more. Entree portions are huge, and we liked them. Husband had a steak and it was really good, and my salmon was cooked the way I like it. But the appetizers were not well executed, and the drinks... I was unpleasantly surprised by some of the mix drinks. It is americana comfort food, and not bad. Just not a place I think I'd crave. Maybe for a wine and cheese date.Special Features: