The People’s Kitchen & Citizen Wine Bar
1 Exchange Place
Worcester, MA 01608Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
The People’s Kitchen & Citizen Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.1nichexchange.com/
- Phone: 5084599090
- Hours of Operation:
The Citizen: Monday - Wednesday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am, CLOSED SUNDAY The People's Kitchen: Wednesday & Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Steve Champagne
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We provide different sized spaces to accommodate parties of 20-150
- Private Party Contact: Debra Covino 5084599090
- Entertainment: The Patio and Speakeasy feature live acts that change on the weekends.
A word from The People’s Kitchen & Citizen Wine Bar
The People's Kitchen of The Citizen is about hand crafted artisanal products prepared by our chefs for the people. We buy, butcher and utilize whole animal with our in house charcuterie and dry aging regimens. We are also committed to locally produced and grown products, as we celebrate food as it was intended to be consumed. The People's Kitchen of The Citizen is a revolution of food, drink and conversation and will not be televised. Vive la Food! Dining is available upstairs in The People's Kitchen Wednesday through Saturday with an ever-changing menu focused on seasonal products. You may also dine with us at our wine bar, which offers a full menu, including our Signature TPK steaks, with a focus on artisinal cheeses and chocolates. Outdoor Patio seating is available and heated and covered during colder months. PLEASE let us know where you would like to sit when you make your reservation in the "Special Request" box. Thank You.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
The People’s Kitchen & Citizen Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Worcester ›
The People’s Kitchen & Citizen Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (97)special occasion (75)notable wine list (63)romantic (62)neighborhood gem (44)good for groups (36)vibrant bar scene (32)hot spot (19)late-night find (19)great for outdoor dining (13)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Never Disappointing - NEVERMurphy09VIPDined on 8/16/2014This place is top notch. The food, the service, the ambiance... This place consistently delivers a high quality experience. Just go and experience for yourself.Special Features:
- Beyond Expectations....GraftoncoupleDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our evening here and the food and service exceeded our expectations. We've eaten here before but it was more than a year ago. I had forgotten how wonderful their dishes are and the genuine excellence in their service. The waiter was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodfoodisgreatDined on 8/15/2014It was our third time there and we knew we would have a nice meal but this time we sat in a small room between the 2 main rooms and smelled cigar smoke from the cigar bar on the first floor. The food was still delicious and we had good table service but ask for another table if you find yourself in the same spot.Special Features:
- Just okGardengal1VIPDined on 8/9/2014The wine selection and pairing was good. The appetizer and desserts where good but my entree was just ok. The " creamy" lobster risotto was not creamy it was dry and bland; lobster pieces were small and few and far between. This was a special for restaurant week. Perhaps the standard menu items are better.Special Features:
- I wanted to love itRitagonzVIPDined on 8/9/2014And I think that if I come for wine and cheese (their charcuterie and cheese board for $21 is a steal!), I would enjoy it more. Entree portions are huge, and we liked them. Husband had a steak and it was really good, and my salmon was cooked the way I like it. But the appetizers were not well executed, and the drinks... I was unpleasantly surprised by some of the mix drinks. It is americana comfort food, and not bad. Just not a place I think I'd crave. Maybe for a wine and cheese date.Special Features:
- Great MealRichDined on 8/8/2014We had a great meal. Everything was well prepared with excellant ingredients and wonderful service. Especially loved the peanut creme bruelle with bacon. Will be back soon.Special Features:
- Out of thier element.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014The peoples kitchen was closed so we ate at the bar downstairs. The bar staff seemed out of thier element. It took 20 min to get a simple drink from the bar. Food was very spicy. The oyster shooter I ordered came in a glass that had a lot of vodka in it, although vodka was never mentioned in on the menu.Special Features:
- Great food, great place!OnewhoflewDined on 8/2/2014Purchased a Groupon to check out this place. We were a party of 6 and requested bar seating. We were graciously greeted by the host who sat us at our table. Our waiter was professional but also very personable. The food was excellent. Well prepared and visually pleasing. Ate from prix fixe menu that had plenty to choose from, steaks, fish, veggie meals and delicious deserts. Great ambiance and delicious drinks! This is also a pretty hot spot for the bar scene as well. Situated next to a cigar bar we wandered over after for some relaxation. A member in our party forgot there takeout and our waiter tracked us down to make sure we had our food! Great place all around, I would definitely recommend it to anyone!Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceVeganDined on 8/2/2014I am vegan, which I told them when I made my reservation. The chef prepared a special appetizer for me! Fantastic! With a Groupon, this plave is great. Without one, however, I do feel it is over-priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night gemJudiDined on 8/1/2014great food and service but it also offers a bar area, a dining area, a patio are, giving you options for a perfect date night. We went on a Friday and there were no events going on downtown, so I am certain we got great attention due to that. I hear Saturday nights are packed...so call ahead...great ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was fantasticNancyDined on 8/1/2014The food was really imaginative and the wine pairings were spot on. Oysters were great, goat cheese fab, my clam chowder less successful - which was odd because I dined here a month ago and the flavor was completely different. The three of us had the duck, swordfish, and salmon entrees. I normally go to Romaine's in Northborough and I find The People's Kitchen much better. The menu is really forward thinking and changes more frequently than Romaine's.Special Features:
- Excellent al fresco diningLrw3gwwDined on 7/26/2014We sat outside beneath a beautiful night sky in the patio. You never knew you were across from the DCU or in the heart of Worcester. It was a lovely, serene setting with cafe lights and comfortable seating, both lounge and table. The waitstaff was team-oriented and provided excellent, well-timed service, even making good recommendations from the menu. I started with a grilled watermelon & endive salad, followed by swordfish and finished with sorbet. Everything was cooked perfectly and had wonderful, surprisingly tasty ingredient combos. This is one of my favorite restaurants and the groupon is a great way to try out its Prix Fixe menuSpecial Features:
- CosmoDined on 7/26/2014Food was visually well prepared but not that enjoyable. Disappointing drink. The waitress put salt on my margarita when I said not to and when I asked for a new one and specifically said please don't pour it in a different glass. Im pretty sure she did because it tasted like salty lemonaide. I had to beg for pepper for clam chowder. It was very disappointing meal.Special Features:
- PerfectionTonyk77Dined on 7/26/2014I now have a favorite restaurant. Celebrating our 25th anniversary, my wife and I visited the People's kitchen and citizens wine bar for dinner. The prix fixe dinner was terrific. Our waiter Carlos, recommended that we try the wine pairings to go along with the meal. Normally my wife and I share a bottle of wine and we choose our own based upon what we like. But because this was a special celebration we decided to go with the restaurants wine pairings. Wow, everything was perfect. Each course was complemented with a wine which the Sommelier had picked out. Each wine complemented the food perfectly. We have never had such an experience before where everything worked so well together. This is now my favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SureeatsAlotDined on 7/25/2014This is a great spot for a date night, cocktails and appetizers at the bar is the way to go. Calamari was wonderful. Nice atmosphere, good food We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent GastropubWorcesterGalDined on 7/25/2014I always love The People's Kitchen because of the creativity of the dishes and the excellent service. This visit was no exception. We celebrated my mother's birthday and everyone in my family enjoyed the cheese boards, the wine selection, and their entrees. The menu layout is somewhat unusual, but it does make it simpler to dine and enjoy once you "get" it. I will always recommend this place. :) Go! You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- delicious!newfavoriteplaceDined on 7/24/2014This was my best meal in Worcester yet. I will definitely be back. The filet & sirloin were cooked perfect. The salmon was amazing. Our server was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great bite !OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/18/2014We grabbed a quick bite here prior to a surprise party in the courtyard- The food was excellent- calamari was perfect and the croquet madame with fries was awesome...I dream of those parmesan truffle fries....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding place to eat and enjoyhappy6Dined on 7/18/2014We had a fantastic dining experience, the environment, the level of courtesy, service and food were outstanding. Highly recommendable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- winoDined on 7/17/2014The food was excellent, cheese sampler was the best, lots of fun to pick and choose, service was very good, been there before, and would go again, wine was very nice as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TPK reviewfitforforksDined on 7/12/2014First visit here, the food & service was really great. Asked for private table, we were seated in a back room. The music ruins what could be a romantic atmosphere. The classic rock at high volume belongs at Jillian's pool hall. Dark paneling should be painted light color and windows s/b without curtains to let more light in as room is very dark. Chairs are not very comfortable as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014Menu always overwhelms me with the gourmet descriptions but my husband and I nor ours friends have ever had a bad meal here. Whether just looking got quick bite at the bar or a gourmet evening Citizen/Peoples Kitchen won't steer you wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- favorite date night spotES17Dined on 7/11/2014Everything about our dinner at peoples kitchen was perfect! We sat at a romantic corner booth table at citizen. We used a groupon for 2 prix fix dinners. I had such a hard time choosing my meal because everything sounded so delicious! I ordered the swordfish which was delicious! Perfectly cooked, awesome sauce on top. My boyfriend had the petite filet and lucky for me, was willing to share a few bites! Steak was cooked perfectly and was awesome with the truffle mashed potatoes. We filled up on dinner and drinks so we asked for chocolates to go. Their Callebut chocolates are the best! Try an old fashioned and whatever wine is paired with your meal. You won't be disappointed!!! Service can be dicey but was spot on the other night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Presentation, PresentationdinealotDined on 7/10/2014We dined early on a hot Thursday evening and were only one of two parties in restaurant. We ordered of the Prix Fixe - 3 courses for $35 with a $5 upcharge for steak. The selections for each course were very ggod and the food cooked to correct temperature and served hot. The presentations were excellent. We shall return.Special Features:
- Citizen WIne BarfoodloverDined on 7/8/2014Unfortunately, the Poeple's Kitchen section was closed but we were treated to a wonderful dinner at the Citizen Wine Bar. My wife and I along with are two young adult children had a great meal with excellent service that was paced adequatelySpecial Features:
- One of the best meals I've had!ginry50Dined on 7/6/2014The "Millionaire of Havana" cocktail was amazing. It was a perfect blend of sweet, smooth and tart. The Oyster Trio was superb! My companions has the Lamb & Beef Tenderloin Meatballs and the Pan-Fried Chive-Infused Goat Cheese and raved about both. One of us opted for the 16oz. Dry-Aged Bone-In Ribeye and loved it and three of us had the Grilled Line-Caught Swordfish. The swordfish was done perfectly, delicately seasoned yet full of taste. Two of us had the Ginger Granita was light and delicious. We loved the chocolate dessert and peanut butter creme brûlée. It was a perfect meal and the french press coffee topped off the night. Did I tell you I love this place?!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014Waiter was nice and attentive. Everything came out fast and was delicious. We used the Groupon for their Prix Fix menu and saved a ton. Wine list is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodCody64Dined on 7/4/2014The food here is excellent. The service is good. It took 10-15 minutes to be greeted by a waitress and order drinks, but she was very good after that The décor is just ok. Nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itmuffyDined on 7/4/2014Oysters fresh and outstanding. Grilled watermelon and endive salad awesome. Peanut utter crime brûlée to die forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food, wine and service near DCUAdderley3CVIPDined on 7/2/2014If you are in downtown Worcester, near the DCU center, check out this spot. The food is great, the service superb, and great beer and wine. The portions are nice so try and save room for dessert! Nice atmosphere and you can actually carry on a table side conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dinner had by all!iheartfoodDined on 7/2/2014I recently ate at The People's Kitchen with my husband and brother (who is an executive chef of a restaurant and was visiting from out-of-state). Both the guys had a steak and I had the swordfish with the pomegranate butter. Ooohhh my god, good! Perfectly cooked, vegetables were hot and tasty. Both steaks came out MR as ordered. The apps and cheese plate was delish and lastly, the desserts (peanut butter creme brulee & banana fosters) ended the night on the perfect note. Our server was very knowledgeable and we liked and appreciated his recommendations. Overall, great great night. We don't get out much due to the small children at home but oh so worth getting a babysitter and coming here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014My husband, two kids and I went here for dinner on a Sunday afternoon. I have some of the most picky eaters ever and they adored this. The steak was incredible, vegetables cooked to perfection. I highly recommend the Celery Root and Parsnip Bisque, it was a perfect balance.Special Features:
- Great Prix Fix MealMammaTDined on 6/28/2014We had a lovely 3-course dinner. everything prepared and served perfectly. The wine pairings were perfect and we thoroughly enjoyed every bite of this dinner.Special Features:
- Great for friendsWannaBeFoodieDined on 6/28/2014We've been here a few times and have had great experiences every time! We love bringing friends here b/c we know that it will be a sure thing... always great food, great service, and great drinks! We love that the menu is always changing! Swordfish - bananas... and bananas is good!Special Features:
- pippy5Dined on 6/28/2014This is our second time here, we had a Groupon for the pre-fix meal. Our meal was delicious, we both had the filet. We sat outside, it is like eating in a outdoor living room with a lot of privacy. As we were enjoying our dinners my husband found a piece of plastic from the meat markers in his mashed potatoes. We let our waiter know and within a few minutes a manger came over to our table. He explained what he thought might have happened and apologized many times. He then told us we would not pay for the dinner. Not only did they comp us for my husband's dinner the didn't charge us for the app or dessert. You don't find great customer service very often and this place gets an A+. We will definitely go back the food was AMAZING!Special Features:
- TheyCameToBostonVIPDined on 6/28/2014Another nice meal at People's Kitchen. The price fixe is quite a bargain. Lamb Meatballs had a hint of asian spice for a deeper flavor. Pan roasted duck was wonderful, but the winner was Peanut Butter Creme Brulee, served with slices of banana and bacon. I must report that the service was not what I was used to. Perhaps it was the table of 16 30-something men that threw off the waitstaff, but it took 40 minutes from the time our entree dishes were cleared to until we got in the car. This was not us lingering over dessert & coffee, but a lengthy delay in getting our dessert (one of which was wrong, but quickly corrected), settling our bill and waiting for the valet to bring up the car. a quibble but not enough to keep us away.Special Features:
- Uneven experience with great foodMaineDinerVIPDined on 6/27/2014I actually do like this place alot, but tonight's visit was just a bit off. This place should be packed all the time, and it rarely is. Not sure why, as the food is good, the service usually pretty good, and the value is there for what they offer. Maybe it's the experience I had on Friday, which has people spending their food dollars elsewhere. The food was great, so that was not the issue. We only had entree's as we had eaten an app elsewhere before arriving. ...but, we probably should have ordered another app as it took about 30 minutes for the entree's to arrive. Surely this was unusual, as our server was apologetic. The bartenders downstairs just seemed like they didn't want to be there either. Will surely go back though.Special Features:
- Great start, poor finishFoodieVIPDined on 6/20/2014Hot bread from oven was fantastic. Ordered fixed menu (Groupon). Groupon specified "signature steaks" had $10 suuplemental charge. I mentioned that I was surprised the aged serloin was outside of th "signature steaks" box and that the supplemental charge did not apply. She was surprised too. Appetizers started off great with fried goat cheese - had great flavored! Aged serloin was tough. Double duck had enjoyable flavor. When the bill came there was an additional $10 for the supplement. The waitress brought the manager over and she the Groupon fine print did not specify all supplemental charges. Not wanting to make a scene, we paid the building and left. We won't be back.
- Exceeding expectations!EricaLynn1Dined on 6/20/2014Great food, ambiance, and service! Requested a private area and what we got was even better than we imagined! Thanks for always exceeding out expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/19/2014The food was wonderful, however, it took quite a long time between the first and second courses - so long that we chose to bring our desserts home for the next night (excellent chocolate assortment)Special Features: