The People’s Kitchen & Citizen Wine Bar
1 Exchange Place
Worcester, MA 01608Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
The People’s Kitchen & Citizen Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.1nichexchange.com/
- Phone: 5084599090
- Hours of Operation:
The Citizen: Monday - Wednesday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am, CLOSED SUNDAY The People's Kitchen: Wednesday & Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Steve Champagne
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We provide different sized spaces to accommodate parties of 20-150
- Private Party Contact: Debra Covino 5084599090
- Entertainment: The Patio and Speakeasy feature live acts that change on the weekends.
A word from The People’s Kitchen & Citizen Wine Bar
The People's Kitchen of The Citizen is about hand crafted artisanal products prepared by our chefs for the people. We buy, butcher and utilize whole animal with our in house charcuterie and dry aging regimens. We are also committed to locally produced and grown products, as we celebrate food as it was intended to be consumed. The People's Kitchen of The Citizen is a revolution of food, drink and conversation and will not be televised. Vive la Food! Dining is available upstairs in The People's Kitchen Wednesday through Saturday with an ever-changing menu focused on seasonal products. You may also dine with us at our wine bar, which offers a full menu, including our Signature TPK steaks, with a focus on artisinal cheeses and chocolates. Outdoor Patio seating is available and heated and covered during colder months. PLEASE let us know where you would like to sit when you make your reservation in the "Special Request" box. Thank You.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The People’s Kitchen & Citizen Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Worcester ›
The People’s Kitchen & Citizen Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (104)special occasion (74)notable wine list (69)romantic (63)neighborhood gem (48)good for groups (44)vibrant bar scene (38)hot spot (22)late-night find (20)great for outdoor dining (14)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- YUMMYmuffyDined on 9/26/2014The chef is a rock star-have eaten here many times. ALWAYS wondefulSpecial Features:
- A great findGregDined on 9/26/2014I went to this restaurant for my birthday and am soo happy that I did. We did the wine pairings with our meals and it really added an extra touch. Our steaks were amazing and our server was very nice. I absolutely cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good exeriencePembury19Dined on 9/19/2014We are always looking for nicer places to eat in Worcester. Finally grabbed the Groupon and tried Peoples Kitchen. We were very pleased. 3 course menu changes often but the choices available when we went all looked great. We started out with a cheese platter which was perfect amount of nosh to get started with cocktail (nice variety of specialty drinks). food was all good from start to finish. Took about half hour for us to get appetizer, which is the only blemish on my review.Special Features:
- You don't know what you are missingRevDocDinerDined on 9/19/2014If you dine out in Worcester and have not yet gone to Citizen's Wine Bar & The People's Kitchen then you absolutely do not know what you are missing. This downtown gem features a cozy and friendly bar with an excellent selection of innovative cocktails, wine and beer on tap along with a diverse and reasonably priced wine list, delectable cheeses, and their own in house made charcuterie. Upstairs from the Citizen Wine Bar is The People's Kitchen, a remarkable farm to table restaurant where everything is prepared to order located in a serene, non rushed, quiet atmosphere where the service is polite, attentive, and knowledgeable, the food is outstanding, and a Prix Fixe option of appetizer, main course, and desert that is well worth getting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday evening treatanonDined on 9/14/2014Due to being a Sunday ate in the bar so a little noisier. Prixe fixe meal was very good, especially pork belly starter and scallop entree which was outstanding. Enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must go toOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Went for my husband's birthday. Our Server Ben was knowledgeable and a great help when deciding what to order and accommodating my allergy. TOP NOTCH food, as always. Love it here. Big fan of the Creme Brulee dessert.Special Features:
- Expecting moreLolliePDined on 9/13/2014Really wanted to love our dinner after having a great experience with Travis at the bar a couple weeks previous. But the dinner was just OK. Cocktails we ordered to start at $12 came about 3/4 full in the martini glass, just thought for that price they should have been filled to the brim ... they were tasty. We all had the three course menu, my arugula/beet salad was overdressed and just again "OK" my husbands pork belly was pretty good, son had a basic Caesar salad. For entrees we had scallops - the best of the three, tuna, and short ribs. Nothing really "wowed" us which isn't all bad. The s'mores creme brûlée was overkill will marshmallows and sweetness and the peach bread pudding had totally hard, unripe peaches. Hostess was great !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the triplockestepDined on 9/12/2014Excellent food, creative presentation. Waitress was very helpful, guided us well on choices including offering a small taste of a by-the-glass wine. Free valet parking a nice touch, decor warm. Filet was outstanding, tuna quite good. The oysters three way was a killer starter. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Dinner!TapasDelightDined on 9/9/2014My husband and I came here for my birthday the other night. Service was great, food was delicious. I had oysters 3 ways as an app, a must try! both our ribeye and short rib were cooked perfectly and the smores creme brulee, get outta here! A must stop dinner place!Special Features:
- Delish!!!AmazingVIPDined on 9/5/2014This certainly wasn't our first time to PC. We totally love this place and the service is super great! The food is phenomenal! Can't wait to go back again!Special Features:
- Great food - good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Was taking my sister to a show and the server was aware of our time limit and helped us accordingly. We had a great meal. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- mixed bagOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014My meal was a mixed bag. Filet was cooked perfect, medium rare. Glaze was tasty. Potatoes were weird. Couldn't quite put my finger on what seemed strange about the potatoes but than it came to me…they were boxed instant potatoes! Why would a restaurant of this supossed caliber use instant potatoes???Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014The food was delicious but expensive. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable evening with friendsanonDined on 8/29/2014Prix fixe meal was very good with sufficient choice. We all enjoyed both food and presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So goodCheckpleaseDined on 8/23/2014Had our third dinner here ant this was THE best. Enjoyed the wine pairing with each course. My husband had steak and I had swordfish. We were eating off each other's plates. SOOOO GOODSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencebubbachukaDined on 8/23/2014Must get the cheese board !!!! Dinner for 4 (via a Groupon) great cocktails......desert I think was the low point after the first 2 courses....Special Features:
- wouldnotgobackDined on 8/23/2014The salmon and swordfish were cooked perfectly but both sides were not very good.The barbeque sauce on the short ribs didn't work too strong as was the sauce on the potato salad but the room and service were very good.Special Features:
- Good food - eclectic menuKLD1973Dined on 8/22/2014Our first time eating here on a Friday night and it was not very full so don't know if this is typical but reservations probably not needed. Knowledgable waitress regarding cheese with great recommendation. Filet was good; not as perfect as Chop House due to a good amount of fat remaining on one side of filet and not seared off, but rest of filet was very nice. Great wine pairing for filet also. Spouse had salmon, which although waitress noted chef recommended cooking temp., came somewhat overcooked, so a little disappointing. Would definitely go back to sit in the bar area for appetizers because that seemed to be the winning food of the night, but also because the dining room chairs are uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service needs work but food greatMacdinerDined on 8/21/2014Arrived at 605pm and told waitress we had a show at 8pm. Took 20 min to get our drink order. Food didn't come out until 735 and we thus left at 810pm and was late for our show. Saw her more times in three min trying to get her money than we did the whole time we were there. I'm torn on returning because of the service only because the food was so amazing!Special Features:
- Never Disappointing - NEVERMurphy09VIPDined on 8/16/2014This place is top notch. The food, the service, the ambiance... This place consistently delivers a high quality experience. Just go and experience for yourself.Special Features:
- Beyond Expectations....GraftoncoupleDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our evening here and the food and service exceeded our expectations. We've eaten here before but it was more than a year ago. I had forgotten how wonderful their dishes are and the genuine excellence in their service. The waiter was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodfoodisgreatDined on 8/15/2014It was our third time there and we knew we would have a nice meal but this time we sat in a small room between the 2 main rooms and smelled cigar smoke from the cigar bar on the first floor. The food was still delicious and we had good table service but ask for another table if you find yourself in the same spot.Special Features:
- Great Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Wonderful place had an great meal I had the aged ribeye and duck and cheese tray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Went here for our anniversary dinner. Food was superb as usual. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Just okGardengal1VIPDined on 8/9/2014The wine selection and pairing was good. The appetizer and desserts where good but my entree was just ok. The " creamy" lobster risotto was not creamy it was dry and bland; lobster pieces were small and few and far between. This was a special for restaurant week. Perhaps the standard menu items are better.Special Features:
- I wanted to love itRitagonzVIPDined on 8/9/2014And I think that if I come for wine and cheese (their charcuterie and cheese board for $21 is a steal!), I would enjoy it more. Entree portions are huge, and we liked them. Husband had a steak and it was really good, and my salmon was cooked the way I like it. But the appetizers were not well executed, and the drinks... I was unpleasantly surprised by some of the mix drinks. It is americana comfort food, and not bad. Just not a place I think I'd crave. Maybe for a wine and cheese date.Special Features:
- Great MealRichDined on 8/8/2014We had a great meal. Everything was well prepared with excellant ingredients and wonderful service. Especially loved the peanut creme bruelle with bacon. Will be back soon.Special Features:
- Out of thier element.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014The peoples kitchen was closed so we ate at the bar downstairs. The bar staff seemed out of thier element. It took 20 min to get a simple drink from the bar. Food was very spicy. The oyster shooter I ordered came in a glass that had a lot of vodka in it, although vodka was never mentioned in on the menu.Special Features:
- Great food, great place!OnewhoflewDined on 8/2/2014Purchased a Groupon to check out this place. We were a party of 6 and requested bar seating. We were graciously greeted by the host who sat us at our table. Our waiter was professional but also very personable. The food was excellent. Well prepared and visually pleasing. Ate from prix fixe menu that had plenty to choose from, steaks, fish, veggie meals and delicious deserts. Great ambiance and delicious drinks! This is also a pretty hot spot for the bar scene as well. Situated next to a cigar bar we wandered over after for some relaxation. A member in our party forgot there takeout and our waiter tracked us down to make sure we had our food! Great place all around, I would definitely recommend it to anyone!Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceVeganDined on 8/2/2014I am vegan, which I told them when I made my reservation. The chef prepared a special appetizer for me! Fantastic! With a Groupon, this plave is great. Without one, however, I do feel it is over-priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night gemJudiDined on 8/1/2014great food and service but it also offers a bar area, a dining area, a patio are, giving you options for a perfect date night. We went on a Friday and there were no events going on downtown, so I am certain we got great attention due to that. I hear Saturday nights are packed...so call ahead...great ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was fantasticNancyDined on 8/1/2014The food was really imaginative and the wine pairings were spot on. Oysters were great, goat cheese fab, my clam chowder less successful - which was odd because I dined here a month ago and the flavor was completely different. The three of us had the duck, swordfish, and salmon entrees. I normally go to Romaine's in Northborough and I find The People's Kitchen much better. The menu is really forward thinking and changes more frequently than Romaine's.Special Features:
- Excellent al fresco diningLrw3gwwDined on 7/26/2014We sat outside beneath a beautiful night sky in the patio. You never knew you were across from the DCU or in the heart of Worcester. It was a lovely, serene setting with cafe lights and comfortable seating, both lounge and table. The waitstaff was team-oriented and provided excellent, well-timed service, even making good recommendations from the menu. I started with a grilled watermelon & endive salad, followed by swordfish and finished with sorbet. Everything was cooked perfectly and had wonderful, surprisingly tasty ingredient combos. This is one of my favorite restaurants and the groupon is a great way to try out its Prix Fixe menuSpecial Features:
- CosmoDined on 7/26/2014Food was visually well prepared but not that enjoyable. Disappointing drink. The waitress put salt on my margarita when I said not to and when I asked for a new one and specifically said please don't pour it in a different glass. Im pretty sure she did because it tasted like salty lemonaide. I had to beg for pepper for clam chowder. It was very disappointing meal.Special Features:
- PerfectionTonyk77Dined on 7/26/2014I now have a favorite restaurant. Celebrating our 25th anniversary, my wife and I visited the People's kitchen and citizens wine bar for dinner. The prix fixe dinner was terrific. Our waiter Carlos, recommended that we try the wine pairings to go along with the meal. Normally my wife and I share a bottle of wine and we choose our own based upon what we like. But because this was a special celebration we decided to go with the restaurants wine pairings. Wow, everything was perfect. Each course was complemented with a wine which the Sommelier had picked out. Each wine complemented the food perfectly. We have never had such an experience before where everything worked so well together. This is now my favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SureeatsAlotDined on 7/25/2014This is a great spot for a date night, cocktails and appetizers at the bar is the way to go. Calamari was wonderful. Nice atmosphere, good food We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent GastropubWorcesterGalDined on 7/25/2014I always love The People's Kitchen because of the creativity of the dishes and the excellent service. This visit was no exception. We celebrated my mother's birthday and everyone in my family enjoyed the cheese boards, the wine selection, and their entrees. The menu layout is somewhat unusual, but it does make it simpler to dine and enjoy once you "get" it. I will always recommend this place. :) Go! You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- delicious!newfavoriteplaceDined on 7/24/2014This was my best meal in Worcester yet. I will definitely be back. The filet & sirloin were cooked perfect. The salmon was amazing. Our server was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great bite !OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/18/2014We grabbed a quick bite here prior to a surprise party in the courtyard- The food was excellent- calamari was perfect and the croquet madame with fries was awesome...I dream of those parmesan truffle fries....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding place to eat and enjoyhappy6Dined on 7/18/2014We had a fantastic dining experience, the environment, the level of courtesy, service and food were outstanding. Highly recommendable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.