The Penthouse Restaurant
1111 2nd Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Penthouse Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thehuntleyhotel.com/
- Phone: 3103938080
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: 7:00 am - 11:00 am
Daily Lunch: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Lounge Menu 3:00 pm to close
Dinner Sun - Thurs: 6:00 pm - 10:30 pm Fri-Sat: 6:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Bar & Lounge Sun - Wed: Until Midnight Thurs - Sat: Until 2:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Seth Greenburg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: DJ, Friday & Saturday
Starts at 9:00 pm until close
- Special Events: From an intimate gathering to an elaborate corporate function. The Penthouse offers the perfect modern beachside atmosphere.
A word from The Penthouse Restaurant
THE PENTHOUSE at The Huntley Hotel, a breathtaking restaurant and ultra lounge, with beach cabanas, open skies, silver bars, and open flames. Famed designer Thomas Schoos (best known for his work on restaurants such as Koi and TAO New York/Las Vegas) has teamed up with executive chef Seth Greenburg, to manifest a new visual celebration of the senses. The Penthouse features a contemporary American Menu with bold global influences. Chef Greenburg who draws inspiration from the foods of France, Spain and beyond, presents a menu utilizing seasonal ingredients sourced from the Santa Monica farmers markets combined with unique ingredients from across the globe. This innovative menu includes dishes such as Crispy Duck Confit with Shaved Apple, Arugula and Black pepper Gastrique; Charred Octopus with Cannellini Beans and Spring onion Chimichurri; New Zealand Snapper with Potato Gnocchi and Steamed Clams; House Cured Charcuterie; Natural Premium Angus Beef. Available for private events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
The Penthouse Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
The Penthouse Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
181 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (148)special occasion (115)romantic (90)great for brunch (73)hot spot (67)vibrant bar scene (61)good for groups (55)fit for foodies (55)great for lunch (52)neighborhood gem (38)late-night find (26)notable wine list (22)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Noisy AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014Some of people in the Penthouse Restaurant were very noisy and it was very difficult to enjoy food in moderate level of noiseSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2014Service and food were good, not great. Beautiful restaurant with great views. Female Bartender was quite rude, not friendly or helpful at all, so evening started off poorly.Special Features:
- reviewVIPDined on 10/13/2014We had a very lovely lunch here. We did the Gilt City special. The food went through all the ranges of taste. The worst being the crab cakes, it was like deep fried dough mush that came from a warehouse store. The salmon was delicious. We really liked the calamari appetizer and the jidori chicken, so very tasty. The profiteroles were delicious, the molten cake was good but very little. Overall we had a nice lunch and the view is just breathtaking.Special Features:
- Great Birthday BrunchDonnaJDined on 10/12/2014Great brunch. Terrific bloody marys. Wonderful view and atmosphere.Special Features:
- awesome!!winkyDined on 10/8/2014We had a fantastic dining experience here. Service was excellent - our waitress gave us great recommendations on what to order. the speck and burrata salad is amazing. The wine list also has some great selections. Plus views of the city are spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Possibly OveratedWestSideGuyVIPDined on 10/7/2014The food was OK, but there is not really much of a selection. That would be OK if there were one or two sort of... "normal" types of selections. My wife and I are foodies and hoped to love the place, but I would say that the food was just OK. Especially for such an expensive place. And it is LOUD. Very loud. I would probably choose to go to Gordon Ramsay at the London if I wanted to spend that kind of money again.Special Features:
- Awful ExperienceDddddVIPDined on 10/5/2014I made a brunch reservation for a birthday get-together over a week and a half ago and requested a booth window table. The first people in our party to check in were told, that a window table was saved for us. Five minutes later when the rest arrived, the host told us we couldn't have a window table despite it being in the reservation for over a week. When, we called her on it and reminded her that she told us a window table had been set aside, she LIED and said she hadn't said as much (despite there clearly being multiple window tables available). Furthermore, it took them 40min to seat us. This place needs to hire new host staff, pronto. The used car salesman hard sell on bottled water (at brunch?) and cocktails wasn't appreciated either.
- GorgeousLaMargaritaLoca7Dined on 10/4/2014Gorgeous views of the city, ocean, and sunset but you can only watch the actual sunset if you are on the right side of the restaurant where the lounge area is (there are a couple big booths there too). Terrific service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was not thrilled so 3stars for meclassyNightingalesDined on 10/1/2014This was our first time dining at the Penthouse. It is very $$$ for food that we ordered (3star dining menu). Had it not been for the ambiance of the restaurant I would've graded this for 1star. But I'll give you the credit--- the place was spectacular. Service was alright. classyNightingalesSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/1/2014I was there for lunch. Excellent food and the waitress was great. Nice decor and beautiful view. My only criticism is that the height of the table in the booth is much too high compared to the height of the bench. My friend and I commented that we had to raise our arms too high to pick up the food with our forks. Then it felt awkward getting the food from our plates to our mouths. I will probably not sit in any of the booths in the future and will not recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- BaronDined on 9/29/2014Menu is a bit limited but the food was all very well prepared. I had the Maine scallops and they were moist and tender and the sauce was quite good. The gazpacho to start was a completely pureed which is ok although I would have liked a few garnish options as they do in Spain. Everyone enjoyed their meals.Special Features:
- Special Requests not acknowledgedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/28/2014I noticed that the theme of the other reviews was 'discontented was with the hostess staff.' When put in your Special Requests to them it notes 'please note that not all requests can be accommodated.' Communication would be when I arrived and was to be seated to say, 'we're sorry, but we're not able to give you a window seat at this time but if you'd like to wait 20 minutes, we could accommodate you then.' Instead there was no communication and just seated 3 tables deep in from the window. I spoke up, we waited and got the window table so thank you for that. Just want to emphasize that they need to work on their hostess customer service because EVERYTHING ELSE WAS SPECTACULAR! Hint-Parties of 6 probably get some of the best tables!Special Features:
- We tried it once..that's enough.selectiveDined on 9/27/2014We celebrated our anniversary, I made reservations days in advance for a window table. We called to say our Uber car arrived late picking and we were en route. We arrived to be seated quite a distance from a window. Asking to wait for the 1st window table available, we were told we'd be seated in a window soon. We moved to the bar, loved our social chemist, Andrew. We had a nosh. Waited 45 minutes watching the hostess/staff (not the best staff for customer service) seating people at window tables (the whole restaurant is basically framed by windows). We asked why they'd forgotten us and they apologized, finally seating us at a window table. The service spiraled down from there. Would not suggest going between 7:30pm-10:30pm on weekends.
- Great view and good foodMellanDined on 9/27/2014Love the basket och pastries we ordered to start. The view is great even if you don't sit by the window... Dress upSpecial Features:
- Great Time.. Great ViewFoodieDined on 9/20/2014I had a great time here with my date. We were seated near the windows but was in the middle. My date was able to see the ocean view which was a plus. It was pretty noisey. We would need to talk really loud to hear each other. The food was great and the service too. I parked at one of the parking structures and didn't know you can do valet parking at the building. The waiter/waitress will asked for your valet ticket in the end so they can validate it for you.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant for Special MomentsLd20051Dined on 9/19/2014Best kept secret in California!!! If you want to have a great ambiance or a romantic evening, then this is the place.Special Features:
- Worst waiter I've ever receivednothappyDined on 9/19/2014I thought the restaraunt was very nice the view was spectacular, and the food was great. The men who served me food were all incredibly nice. However, the main waiter was very rude. I felt he was very passive aggressive. He made it seem like he did not want to come to our table and it was pretty obvious he didn't. He had a rude attitude the start. I did not feel very welcomed in the restaraunt what so ever. During the end he came up to us to talk to us about the bill because he felt like we didn't tip him enough, and he walked away with a rude head tilt. I did not have a very good experience with the waiter, my date and I had an extremely unpleasant experience with him. It was very unwelcoming.Special Features:
- xxxxVIPDined on 9/14/2014We went for brunch. View is spectacular. You can see Malibu and Palos Verdes. I didn't think the hostess was very friendly or welcoming. Waiter was good. Food was high quality and tasty.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Had brunch with my friend at the penthouse. Love the view and the food. I will definitely visit here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the penthouse!PetrihatDined on 9/14/2014Periodically the Penthouse offers a brunch deal through Gilt. We purchase the deal every time. The food is good, the views are great, add a couple friends and you have an amazing Sunday morning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionStelaDined on 9/13/2014Had a very nice evening celebrating my friend's birthday at the Penthouse. The drinks were good, the cheese plate - delicious! Food was great, and service impeccable considering The Penthouse was packed. Just a great experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jamesDined on 9/13/2014Waitress was inexperienced and inattentive. No wait on arrival. Food very average. Sent back the salmon is not cooked well. Beautiful view, and we requested it, but given a very small, isolated table away from ocean view. Will not return.
- The Penthouse is highly incredibleSunFoodFabDined on 9/7/2014We love every aspect of the food experiece from the hosts to the amazing servers, the view, the cleanliness, the design and the incredibly tasty food!!! Win win win win!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic viewFaberDineDined on 9/4/2014View, food, service and the vibration the penthouse is a restaurant that you must go in Santa Mônica!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A room with a viewFatGirlSlimVIPDined on 8/31/2014The Penthouse's location in Santa Monica and the view is awesome! Love sunny so-cal..Special Features:
- Bachelorette partyJambajuice87Dined on 8/30/2014We had an amazing time here. Our waiter was so attentive and playful. The views were breathtaking. Perfect way to start our bachelorette weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!Familyof5Dined on 8/25/2014The stunning view of Santa Monica is only the beginning. The larger tables are all booths and you can enjoy your dinner without feeling that you are sitting on top of another table. It is romantic and yet we had a wonderful evening with our children there. The food was absolutely delicious (fit for our foodie daughter!) and they had a great kids menu for pickier kids. The service was excellent and they were on top of every little detail. This is a great spot for a special occasion or an outstanding meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticJocerDined on 8/24/2014I won a $100 GC to this lovely restaurant and used this for my husband and my 12 year anniversary. The appetizer and main dish were fantastic. My Martini and my husband's wine was delicious. The views of the ocean, cities and mountains were breath taking. The place was so beautiful and clean. The service was overall nice - but slow in getting the drinks and then the check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchBrunchDined on 8/24/2014Great view, realy good brunch, they did overcook our eggs so might mention that if you go, excellent service. The glass elevator ride up is the best part. Would like to see more organic / free-range options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy on Saturday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014Everything was great except that they were about 30 min late to give us our table, we could barely hear each other speak... or rather scream (waaaaay too loud on Sat night) and that the food took a long time to come. I think they were just overstretched. It's nice to see a place busy but this was just too busy for our taste. Otherwise a very nice festive place with a great view and great food.Special Features:
- Great dining experience!1FoodieWizDined on 8/23/2014Great food with a spectacular view- We've tried several items from the menu and there were all delicious- It has become our favorite restaurant for special occasions- You must try it at least once!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Million dollar viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Wonderful view of the ocean, the food and service were also very good. we had a lovely time and would go back.Special Features:
- Going downhill very fast!DonnaJVIPDined on 8/23/2014This was my 4th time going there. Hostess: Maybe she was a trainee, but in a practically empty restaurant, she gave us the worst table possible, in spite of my request at the time of reservation for a booth. Our family of 4 was always given window booths, but she insisted the booths are for 6+ only. Until the time we left the place, the booths sat empty. Noise/Customers: it was a Sat brunch/lunch. I don't know if it's b/c they were tourists, but the customers had no manners. Their voices were out of control. Many "tacky" uncouth people on Sat, 23rd when we were there. Food: Pressed juice @ $9 each (2 varieties) were the worst we've had. Food quality has been maintained, but nothing to write home about. Overall, we would NOT return.Special Features:
- Pricey but worth itMcFlyDined on 8/22/2014We had a group of 6 and the table had amazing views of Santa Monica. We had a very energetic and attentive server. The menu is very pricey - the drinks are excellent (but they better be at $15 or more for a cocktail) and the food is ok, but not amazing. Still had a great time, if you can afford it it's worth going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- badOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014If you want an amazing view, but with snotty service, kids running around, and patrons wearing t-shirts, ball caps and shorts, this is the place for you. If you are expecting anything close to the sleek, contemporary finer dining establishment that it is advertised to be, do not come here. Whenever I come to coastal California it is almost impossible for anything to cause me to be in a bad mood, but the overtly, brazenly rude service and crowd that clearly came from the pier - no stop, shower, change of clothes - pushed me into a bad one. My only hope is the staff thought I was a casting director and was doing an intentional, improv audition for acting in a movie scene with bad restaurant service. If so, they deserve an Oscar.
- Beachy diningGirlsnitediningDined on 8/17/2014The restaurant is gorgeous and for the high prices they charge, it understandably has gorgeous decor. The food is good but the portions are tiny. It's a nice place to go with a group for celebrating but I would warn the people in your group to stock up on appetizers because the main courses are very small.Special Features:
- bottomlessmimosasDined on 8/17/2014Everything was pretty wonderful except for our service. Our waitress was not very friendly nor was she very attentive. She seemed to have a bit of an attitude towards us, which we did not appreciate at all. And we were frequently faced with the bottom of our bottomless mimosas.Special Features:
- I love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014I only go here when we have out of town guests. Its show Santa Monica at its finest.It never fails to disappoint. Awesome!!Special Features:
- Hands Down The Best Experience!Capone930VIPDined on 8/15/2014We came to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday and her newlywed status. The service, food, ambience, and breathtaking views absolutely made our night. It is hard to find "the perfect place," but this truly is!Special Features:
- reviewacpeezyDined on 8/14/2014The Penthouse was a really good experience. I had a great time with my family and the food is amazing. They have very good customer service and friendly waiters. I would recommend it and there good for birthdays too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.