The Penthouse Restaurant
1111 2nd Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Penthouse Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thehuntleyhotel.com/
- Phone: 3103938080
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: 7:00 am - 11:00 am
Daily Lunch: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Lounge Menu 3:00 pm to close
Dinner Sun - Thurs: 6:00 pm - 10:30 pm Fri-Sat: 6:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Bar & Lounge Sun - Wed: Until Midnight Thurs - Sat: Until 2:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Seth Greenburg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: DJ, Friday & Saturday
Starts at 9:00 pm until close
- Special Events: From an intimate gathering to an elaborate corporate function. The Penthouse offers the perfect modern beachside atmosphere.
A word from The Penthouse Restaurant
THE PENTHOUSE at The Huntley Hotel, a breathtaking restaurant and ultra lounge, with beach cabanas, open skies, silver bars, and open flames. Famed designer Thomas Schoos (best known for his work on restaurants such as Koi and TAO New York/Las Vegas) has teamed up with executive chef Seth Greenburg, to manifest a new visual celebration of the senses. The Penthouse features a contemporary American Menu with bold global influences. Chef Greenburg who draws inspiration from the foods of France, Spain and beyond, presents a menu utilizing seasonal ingredients sourced from the Santa Monica farmers markets combined with unique ingredients from across the globe. This innovative menu includes dishes such as Crispy Duck Confit with Shaved Apple, Arugula and Black pepper Gastrique; Charred Octopus with Cannellini Beans and Spring onion Chimichurri; New Zealand Snapper with Potato Gnocchi and Steamed Clams; House Cured Charcuterie; Natural Premium Angus Beef. Available for private events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Penthouse Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
The Penthouse Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
180 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (151)special occasion (106)romantic (81)great for brunch (70)vibrant bar scene (63)hot spot (61)great for lunch (55)fit for foodies (49)good for groups (47)neighborhood gem (33)late-night find (22)notable wine list (16)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Bachelorette partyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014We had an amazing time here. Our waiter was so attentive and playful. The views were breathtaking. Perfect way to start our bachelorette weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!Familyof5Dined on 8/25/2014The stunning view of Santa Monica is only the beginning. The larger tables are all booths and you can enjoy your dinner without feeling that you are sitting on top of another table. It is romantic and yet we had a wonderful evening with our children there. The food was absolutely delicious (fit for our foodie daughter!) and they had a great kids menu for pickier kids. The service was excellent and they were on top of every little detail. This is a great spot for a special occasion or an outstanding meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticJocerDined on 8/24/2014I won a $100 GC to this lovely restaurant and used this for my husband and my 12 year anniversary. The appetizer and main dish were fantastic. My Martini and my husband's wine was delicious. The views of the ocean, cities and mountains were breath taking. The place was so beautiful and clean. The service was overall nice - but slow in getting the drinks and then the check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchBrunchDined on 8/24/2014Great view, realy good brunch, they did overcook our eggs so might mention that if you go, excellent service. The glass elevator ride up is the best part. Would like to see more organic / free-range options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy on Saturday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014Everything was great except that they were about 30 min late to give us our table, we could barely hear each other speak... or rather scream (waaaaay too loud on Sat night) and that the food took a long time to come. I think they were just overstretched. It's nice to see a place busy but this was just too busy for our taste. Otherwise a very nice festive place with a great view and great food.Special Features:
- Great dining experience!1FoodieWizDined on 8/23/2014Great food with a spectacular view- We've tried several items from the menu and there were all delicious- It has become our favorite restaurant for special occasions- You must try it at least once!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Million dollar viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Wonderful view of the ocean, the food and service were also very good. we had a lovely time and would go back.Special Features:
- Going downhill very fast!DonnaJVIPDined on 8/23/2014This was my 4th time going there. Hostess: Maybe she was a trainee, but in a practically empty restaurant, she gave us the worst table possible, in spite of my request at the time of reservation for a booth. Our family of 4 was always given window booths, but she insisted the booths are for 6+ only. Until the time we left the place, the booths sat empty. Noise/Customers: it was a Sat brunch/lunch. I don't know if it's b/c they were tourists, but the customers had no manners. Their voices were out of control. Many "tacky" uncouth people on Sat, 23rd when we were there. Food: Pressed juice @ $9 each (2 varieties) were the worst we've had. Food quality has been maintained, but nothing to write home about. Overall, we would NOT return.Special Features:
- Pricey but worth itMcFlyDined on 8/22/2014We had a group of 6 and the table had amazing views of Santa Monica. We had a very energetic and attentive server. The menu is very pricey - the drinks are excellent (but they better be at $15 or more for a cocktail) and the food is ok, but not amazing. Still had a great time, if you can afford it it's worth going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- badOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014If you want an amazing view, but with snotty service, kids running around, and patrons wearing t-shirts, ball caps and shorts, this is the place for you. If you are expecting anything close to the sleek, contemporary finer dining establishment that it is advertised to be, do not come here. Whenever I come to coastal California it is almost impossible for anything to cause me to be in a bad mood, but the overtly, brazenly rude service and crowd that clearly came from the pier - no stop, shower, change of clothes - pushed me into a bad one. My only hope is the staff thought I was a casting director and was doing an intentional, improv audition for acting in a movie scene with bad restaurant service. If so, they deserve an Oscar.
- Beachy diningGirlsnitediningDined on 8/17/2014The restaurant is gorgeous and for the high prices they charge, it understandably has gorgeous decor. The food is good but the portions are tiny. It's a nice place to go with a group for celebrating but I would warn the people in your group to stock up on appetizers because the main courses are very small.Special Features:
- bottomlessmimosasDined on 8/17/2014Everything was pretty wonderful except for our service. Our waitress was not very friendly nor was she very attentive. She seemed to have a bit of an attitude towards us, which we did not appreciate at all. And we were frequently faced with the bottom of our bottomless mimosas.Special Features:
- I love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014I only go here when we have out of town guests. Its show Santa Monica at its finest.It never fails to disappoint. Awesome!!Special Features:
- Hands Down The Best Experience!Capone930VIPDined on 8/15/2014We came to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday and her newlywed status. The service, food, ambience, and breathtaking views absolutely made our night. It is hard to find "the perfect place," but this truly is!Special Features:
- reviewacpeezyDined on 8/14/2014The Penthouse was a really good experience. I had a great time with my family and the food is amazing. They have very good customer service and friendly waiters. I would recommend it and there good for birthdays too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - very noisy2eatis2liveDined on 8/9/2014Food and service was really good, but we where only two people and where surrounded by groups of very loud people. Lots of dressed up people and a lot to look at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014The food was great the view was amazing it did get noisy cause of the crowd it was a great experience and plan to go againSpecial Features:
- Love this placeMamafergDined on 8/6/2014I've taken my Mom here for a brunch birthday... And I just went for a second time with a girlfriend of mine. The ambiance in this hotel is absolutely amazing... And the restaurant is to die for. Great food, great drinks, great setting... This place is fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the sunset!MTL4Dined on 8/6/2014This is definitely a must visit for sunset! Awesome views of the beach and mountains and gorgeous sunsets. The food was enjoyable but our teenagers found the menu a bit intimidating. Waitress had a bit of an attitude though she was very knowledgeable about the wines and made a great suggestion. Tip: If arriving while sunset is in progress, take the glass elevator with the view on your way up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't get any betterSC44Dined on 8/5/2014Have been to the Penthouse many times on trips to LA. Incredible views of the Pacific, sunsets over the water/mountains, views of city lights, great bar and bar scene, terrific food, still maintains it's chic ness. Recently brought family members here and they were blown awaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the pent-rock your houseanimalfriesDined on 8/4/2014Just want to start off by commenting on the celestial view. After we ordered, we got 2 shots of this tropical goodness compliments of the chef! Overall great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great once againRB36VIPDined on 8/4/2014We keep going back to the penthouse because it just keeps getting better and better. From food to ambience to service it's really tough to beat. We recommend it to all our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Wouldn't Go BackSchincatDined on 8/3/2014Only eat here if you are staying at the hotel otherwise they relegate you to the back of the restaurant. You feel like an uninvited guest. Although they validate the parking there is still a charge for parking. There was zero energy at the table although the view was very nice. Overall, there is nothing that would make me want to go back. For the same amount of money there are dozens of better choices.Special Features:
- Very DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/3/2014Unfriendly seating host. Bland food. Slow service. Waited awhile before seated with reservations. Did not seat where we requested. Never again.
- bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014Though I enjoyed its food and great view I do not want to recommend this restaurant. I visited there for my best friend's birthday. When we arrived in there I could not feel that we were welcomed. Because we are Asians?? Our server never smiled to us and his attitude was not pleasant and made us feel to be ignored. Dear server J, if you expected non-asian customers I am so sorry for visiting there. However, please keep in my this one. If we knew that the gorgeous restaurant and huntly hotel hired a server like you we would not visit there and due to your attitude we will remember the restaurant and hotel as a very unpleasant place. Though you did not perform a good job as a waiter we paid 25% tip to perform as a good customers.Special Features:
- ScrapperDined on 7/31/2014A beautiful restaurant. Color scheme of white and silver is spectacular. Had previously been to this location but a different restaurant. Webiste with pictures lurd me to try it and it was well worth the trip. Food server was attentive. Food pretty good. We were seated on the west side so got an amazing view of ocean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZeniDined on 7/27/2014Loved the ambience. We had an early dinner rez. and were seated right away. It however took about 10 mins. before we were acknowledged. Our waiter was nice but the service and flow was just poor. We were five at the table and basically mix reviews about the food. I had the Salmon and it was good.Special Features:
- Unfortunately, OverratedsteakmanDined on 7/27/2014While the Penthouse's view is quite beautiful, the waiters courteous, and the curtained dining booths very pretty (albeit limited...not everyone gets one of those), I cannot say I had a positive dining experience here. Our 3-course lunch took 2.5 hours altogether, and restaurant was not particularly bustling while we were there. Portions were small, prices were high, and they had the nerve to add a 20% gratuity to our receipt (for a party of 5?!). I was excited to try this place for DineLA and I really wanted to have a wonderful experience here, but alas, this will probably be my last time in this restaurant.Special Features:
- Delicious, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014My boyfriend and I went here for DineLA this past weekend. The fixed price menu was tasty and the service was great throughout the meal. The restaurant was kind of loud and the tables are packed very close together. It definitely started to feel more like a bar than a restaurant as it got later.Special Features:
- Great Dine in LA lunch!Pauli643Dined on 7/26/2014Came here during Dine in LA week. Lunch was great-three course meal! Hd never been and would definitely return. The ambience and views are amazing.Special Features:
- Excellent but noisydiningJimDined on 7/25/2014I guess that is how youg people have fun, with loud "music", yelling and getting drunk, so if you waynt to enjoy your dinner, ask for a table the farthest from the young scene at the bar zone, or better, go to the brunch on sundaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretentious LA with a nice view2muchattitudeDined on 7/25/2014The food and view are excellent, but be prepared to a deal with a waitstaff who are unattentive and management that doesn't care. Waited an hour and fifteen minutes to order the main course.Special Features:
- Cutting EdgythescbaguyVIPDined on 7/25/2014This is an edgy, hip, gorgeous place, with spectacular views of the surrounding area from almost all seats. But the decor is not skin-deep; the food is just as cutting edge. Do not--repeat, do not--miss the pappardelle main dish. There is no way to make a more perfect pasta dish. The sauce: incredible; the ingredients: fresh; the pasta: the textbook definition of "al dente." I've been thinking about it for days afterward. Appetizers, main dishes & desserts are varied & extremely well prepared, with beautiful presentation. There are some excellent values on the wine list--e.g., the Luigi Bosca Malbec. Service is professional, with the waiters knowledgeable & articulate (esp. Ashley). But the young, very noisy crowd does inhibit conversation.Special Features:
- Perfect for young couples!SeafoodloverDined on 7/25/2014Great view!!! Majority of the customers are young people and most likely singles. Great place for hang out.Special Features:
- Best view in townLauriesopasDined on 7/25/2014Love the beauty of this place. Great staff and food is always fresh. Perfect to escape above the ocean and treat yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fussyVIPDined on 7/24/2014coffee was cold, could not get hot coffee, service poorSpecial Features:
- BEWARE THE NOISE LEVELSResidentVIPDined on 7/23/2014I am a regular, and I am a Santa Monica resident. Go have a drink, food is good, and ask for a booth! If you don't want to be on top of other people, don't go during the "rush hour" lunch period or at prime dinner hours. And if you do, and you want to be able to hear each other speak, ask for a booth away from the loud humans. The 360 degree view of Santa Monica and the Los Angeles area is PERFECT. Enjoy!!! The Hotel has been through many renovations over the many years, and it's now a very hip, modern, "cool", trendy place to hang-out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining Experiencelove2dineDined on 7/23/2014Loved this place for lunch! Stunning views, the dine LA menu was perfect for lunch and the food was very good along with the service. Thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience and cant wait to go back. I look forward to dining in the early evening to enjoy the views and bar scene.Special Features:
- Hostess unfriendlyMadelief31Dined on 7/22/2014the hostess who took us to the table was very unfriendly. I had asked from the reservation through Open Table for a table by the window. But here they knew nothing about? And the hostess also did not help here? But the food is really good and the other waiters where very friendly!! we had a great evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not good for special occasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014one year anniversary and no special treatment... service was slow.. took about 15 minutes to bring dessert out after they took away our entree platesSpecial Features: