The Pelican Club
312 Exchange Alley
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
The Pelican Club
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.pelicanclub.com/
- Phone: 5045231504x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Creole / Cajun / Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Richard Hughes Jr.
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering Available
- Entertainment: Piano player on Friday and Saturday nights in the bar.
A word from The Pelican Club
The Pelican Club, offering a wide range of fabulous New Orleans dishes, consists of three dining rooms and a large bar fashioned from a handsome, 19th-century French Quarter townhouse, rising from the corner of Bienville Street and Exchange Place in the heart of the French Quarter. Owner, Richard Hughes, and his wife, Jean Stinnett-Hughes, transformed a neglected architectural gem into a welcoming restaurant decorated in a crisp blend of traditional and contemporary. Each room has its own ambiance, created with such diverse elements as burnished Louisiana cypress, contemporary paintings by New Orleans artists, antique prints, and the dramatic contrast of black-leather banquettes against cream-colored brick walls. Such an atmosphere is sure to make your meal feel like a truly New Orleans experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCreole / Cajun / Southern
The Pelican Club - Best Restaurants in French Quarter ›
The Pelican Club reviews from OpenTable diners
194 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (141)fit for foodies (105)romantic (100)notable wine list (65)neighborhood gem (61)good for groups (55)hot spot (21)vibrant bar scene (18)late-night find (9)great for outdoor dining (7)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)scenic view (5)Show More
- It was goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014The experience was good, not the greatest but not close to bad. I just wasn't as I expected and was hoping for more favorable dishes when it can to the appetizers and entree. Dessert was the best.Special Features:
- Don't order the lobsterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014We made reservations a month in advance yet we were seated in the noisy white room. Impossible to carry on a conversation, especially when two large parties are in the center of room. When inquiring about noise, waiter said it wasn't too bad tonight (don't know how it could be worse!). Appetizers were very good. However, lobster was like rubber and barely warm. No response from waiter when complained. And about the waiter... Last time we were there we had superior service. This time we got a waiter that was just going through the motions. Nathan did not smile once. We got the feeling he didn't want to be there. We have dined at Pelican Club in the past, but will not return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Our server was very unpleasant and not attentive. We did not have a good experience at all. Food was fine but we won't be going back.
- Best of New OrleansOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014The food was outstanding! I had the whole lobster with wedge salad, bread pudding and their signature lemonade cocktail. Everything was fresh and light. I will definitely be returning on my next trip to New Orleans.Special Features:
- MrsPatriciaDined on 9/12/2014This was our first time dining at The Pelican Club. The food was outstanding and the service wonderful. Our waiter recommended items on the menu and was very attentive. Bring a jacket or sweater, it was a bit chilly.Special Features:
- Old concepts Old restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Nothing special here. Fish with crab - wow how original. Boring presentation, over attentive waiter that really wanted to remove our dishes from the table. ( plate shortage in the restaurant ?). I had a very similar plate at GW Fins - great presentation, friendly waiter, the fish was great. There are other restaurants in New Orleans that will gladly take your money and deliver ambiance, flavors that jump at you (SoBu) and you're not worried about losing your plates. Don't bother with this one.
- Lenny1Dined on 9/11/2014Great place for a very nice dining experience, wether two people, or a crowd!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodWonderfulDined on 9/11/2014Had the Baked Oysters, Escargot, Crab Cakes and Shrimp for Apps...Dinner was Filet w/Crab, Korean Ribs....wonderful!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week Surprise!JferDined on 9/10/2014Had the lobster special and my guest the filet mignon. Both our meals were done to perfection. Vegetables were crisp bread was hot. Dessert, (bread pudding) was warm and so good. Our waiter was attentive and there when you wanted him. A delicious, well prepared meal!Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014I thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience. The food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014both the hostess and waiter greeted us "Happy Anniversary", great food and serviceSpecial Features:
- Birthday DinnerBIGBENDined on 9/8/2014The food was superb, the service outstanding. Perfect!Special Features:
- Great menu!LaurakDined on 9/3/2014They were running a special "Summer Coolinary" menu when we went - we got an appetizer, Whole Lobster with two sides and a dessert for $42! Great meal, great food, great service!Special Features:
- Nolalove1Dined on 8/31/2014About the single worst meal we have had in New Orleans ! Restaurant was dead yet service was still slow at best . Our people in our party and each agreed worst meal we have had ! Btw we are all locals and eat out often
- Pelican Club is a 5 Star ExperienceOffhsoregourmetDined on 8/31/2014Great cocktails, large and delicious! Very nice wine list and waiter helps you to match wine with your food experience! Food was delicious, fish was fresh and filet mignon was cooked to order! Overall this dining experience as excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too lould for fine diningPatF1025VIPDined on 8/30/2014Great food but so lould you have to scream at your guest Lunch might be better
- Great DinnercypinsDined on 8/30/2014Went in August to take advantage of Coolinery menu and Pelican Club is excellent. Food is great and wait staff very attentative. I would recommend them!Special Features:
- Oh PelicanchifdlvrDined on 8/29/2014Coolinary August menu. Small bar area, nice front area, 2nd room cozy. NOW unless you like a lot of noise the 3rd room do not sit there. We were seated in that area and requested to be moved to the 2nd room, the maître de was accommodating, some reviews called his impersonable, however he was very nice to our group of 5. Dinner, lobster with scallops lovely, filet mignon was OK, crab cakes very good, seafood martini ravigote very good, corn and crab bisque good. Bread pudding was not great. I really wanted to like you Pelican, however after eating at different places in NOLA, Muriels. Irene's, Sylvain I don't know if your special enough for a re try. I can't put my finger on it but it was just OK.Special Features:
- Great Food, Service, great Value!NOLA1chickDined on 8/29/2014Dined during Coolinary special pricing. Delicious meal with nice variety of choices. Great service. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a good experience but loudronhDined on 8/29/2014We were seated right away. The waiter was knowledgeable and immediately took our drink order. The food was excellent and even though some ordered appetizers as the main course, all the food was served at the appropriate time. The one down side to the experience was the noise level was high due to a rowdy table of women who were obviously celebrating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE LOVE LOVEsinceyouaskedDined on 8/27/2014Incredibly fantastic food, a wonderful, romantic setting and outstanding service. Have never been disappointed with a meal at The Pelican Club. In my opinion, one of the top 2 or 3 restaurants in New Orleans, hands down. HIGHLY recommend. Every course was top quality products, presentation, temperature, etc. Cannot wait to go back. Be sure to make a reservation; this restaurant is very busy and oh so worth it. You will thoroughly enjoy the dining experience at The Pelican Club!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PRusso111Dined on 8/27/2014Very nice place, food is good, but in a City like New Orleans I will try at least 10 other places before I go back.Special Features:
- Superb eveningbyuboyDined on 8/27/2014Outstanding food, unique cocktail pairing for the coolinary dinner, superb service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful experienceLindaDined on 8/25/2014This was my first visit but it won't be my last. I had the lobster dinner and it was delicious! The waiter was very helpful and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Host/RecptionistPASalesguy1990Dined on 8/25/2014This guy needs an attitude adjustment. Doesn't smile, unfriendly. Acts like everything is a big deal. He is a buzz kill to the dining experience before you ever get started.Special Features:
- A TreatGibsongirl2Dined on 8/24/2014Went for "Coolinary in New Orleans" menu. It sounded delicious and it was. Our waiter was very good. We enjoyed talking with him. Loved that we had white table cloths, candles, and a standing fanned napkin but were able to come in dressed informally since we had no formal attire with us. We felt welcomed and enjoyed every part of the menu we chose. Appetizers were very good, entres also very good, and both of our desserts were very good. Wine was also excellent. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone and we will go back when we come again in August of 2015.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantLmb123Dined on 8/23/2014This was by far some of the best food in New Orleans. The "coolinary menu" offered several different choices so there is something for everyone. The only downside was that we were seated in the bar where there was a piano player playing some tunes so it made it kind of hard to talk to my date (It was a little loud). We had a wonderful time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Noisy!unnamedDined on 8/23/2014Sound buffers are desperately needed. Noise levels this high are not acceptable in a finer dining restaurant. Food and service were very good.
- excellentHDANGDined on 8/23/2014excellent food and services! great for recommendation!Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceKolleen1977Dined on 8/23/2014My group recently ate dinner at The Pelican Club. We all enjoyed our meals and the service was first rate. I would definitely encourage people to dine at The Pelican Club if they have the opportunity. They will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic EveningWBNOLADined on 8/23/2014Would highly recommend The Pelican Club. Had the 4 course prix fixe. More food than 1 person can handle. The seafood martini is not to be missed. Another hidden gem is lobster/crab mushroom ravioli - to die for!. Service was great. Food was outstanding. All in all, Fantastic Evening.Special Features:
- Good place to goMeh606Dined on 8/22/2014Good was good. Service was good. Enjoyed our dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RosieVIPDined on 8/22/2014The Pelican Club continues to have some of the best food in New Orleans, and to be one of the noisiest restaurants in New Orleans. We went fot the Coolinary. Pelican Club offered the widest menu choices of any of the partcipating restaurants. The appetizers at our table included calimari, crab cakkes and seafood martini. All were delicious. Entrees were Korean style barbecue ribs (outstanding), sauteed drum with crab meat (very good) and barbecue shrimp hot pot (ok). The creme brule for desert was up to Pelican Club standards (in my opinion, the best in town). converstaion was almost impossible because of the noise level.Special Features:
- So glad we went!NolaFoodie5Dined on 8/21/2014I hadn't been to the Pelican Club in quite some time. When I saw the Coolinary menu I told my husband we have to go. By far the best Coolinary offering of all the restaurants and I looked at almost all of them. We took our son & daughter-in-law and everyone loved it! We also took advantage of the cocktail/wine pairing they offer with this - nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coolinay WIN!NOLAgirlseatDined on 8/20/2014It's rare to get my mother, sister & I together, so when it happens, we look to have the best experience possible. We certainly got that at the Pelican Club with the delicious Coolinary menu options, cocktail & wine pairing menu, lovely ambiance, exceptional food & fantastic service. I have read some reviews about slow service or loud atmosphere at PC, but we experienced none of that negativity. We were there on a Wednesday night so that may have something to do with it. Our server was attentive but no too so. She was friendly, answered questions, made suggestions and left us to talk when it was appropriate. The food was superb; my mom's steak was perfect. Exceptional value during Coolinary as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinner at Pelican ClubcoffeeladyDined on 8/20/2014I recently had my anniversary dinner at The Pelican Club. My husband and I have been dining on our anniversary for the past 5 years, and they never disappoint. The food is fantastic, especially the seafood martini, and the white chocolate bread pudding. The wait staff was pleasant and very helpful, their recommendations were on point. I would definitely dine there again, and have recommended others try as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for the Coolinary menuWeLiveToEatVIPDined on 8/19/2014and we were incredibly surprised. The menu had a ton of choices and the flavors were so delightful. Marcus and David were our servers - absolutely amazing people. It was a perfect evening.Special Features:
- RobertOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014One of the great restaurants in New Orleans and the Counrty.Special Features:
- consistently goodTerriDined on 8/16/2014I've dined here several times and have been impressed every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!!JoeLDined on 8/14/2014Excellent front of house and wait staff, felt special from the moment we walked in. Everyone enjoyed the food. I had the Barbeque Shrimp...it was one of the best things I've ever eaten!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.