The Pelican Club
3802 Seawall Blvd.
Galveston, TX 77550Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Pelican Club
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.pelicanclubgalveston.com/
- Phone: 4097629625x503
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Ross Warhol
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Pelican Club
A hangover from the Prohibition days, Tradewinds Lounge, operated by the Gaido family, was one of few shops that operated as "speakeasies". Opening in 1951, and in accordance with the Texas law, each member had a private liquor locker at the club stocked with their favorite spirits and could mix their favorite cocktails. The first expansion relocated the Club to its present location. An article in a fall issue of Reader’s Digest caricaturizing politicians as "pelicans" gave Mike Gaido Sr. the idea to change the name to the Pelican Club. In 1959 Texas changed the law again, doing away with the "locker" system, and allowed restaurants to sell memberships to a private club. In 1972, the laws loosened further allowing restaurants to publicly sell liquor by the glass. Pelican Club members stayed loyal, appreciating the personal service, ability to avoid waiting for a table, and Gaido's food in a private club environment.Continued
Today, the promise of the Pelican Club remains the same.
Today, the promise of the Pelican Club remains the same.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Pelican Club - Best Restaurants in Galveston ›
The Pelican Club reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (25)fit for foodies (25)romantic (24)notable wine list (13)neighborhood gem (8)good for groups (8)hot spot (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Always excellent food and service. A definite go back to.Special Features:
- buffalo2dineVIPDined on 9/12/2014Very good, innovative new American food. Menu is limited but sufficient.Special Features:
- Amazing Experience!SunnyVIPDined on 8/8/2014This was our first visit to the Pelican Club but definitely won't be our last! The service, ambiance, décor and food were all amazing! We were treated like royalty from the time we walked in the door until we left. Our waiter, Robert, was very informative and attentive. The food was imaginative and delicious. This will absolutely be our new "go to" spot!Special Features:
- A very nice changeAmalina52VIPDined on 8/1/2014Having been to the original club behind Gaidos I would say is a vast improvement in decor, seating and food. They have a variety of large menus posted on the wall as you come in to show you the different dishes they will be preparing for the Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer.We very much enjoyed our meal although the Maching fish that was prepared was slightly dry. The sauce though was very tasty. I think Halibut might have been a better choice though. It was a cross between swordfish and halibut. We loved the mac and cheese. That was our dessert haha. I will definitely go back again and we were surprised that the young new chef they hired was only 26 yrs old but has had a variety of cultural experiences and is definitely off to a good start.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiencecharles1Dined on 8/1/2014Great seasonal menus that offer farm to table. Presentation was beautiful. Great service and a nice bar area.Special Features:
- Special placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014The Pelican Club is located behind Guidos. It had no sign out front but the walls around it had pelicans painted on them. The hostess said they will be getting a sign. From the hostess to the waiter to the manager, everyone was pleasant and very attentive and informative. In short, they made us feel they were glad we were there. The dishes we enjoyed the most were the peach gazpacho (refreshing),and the sweet corn agnolotti (elegant comfort food). We enjoyed the S'mores dessert but would try something else next time. We will definitely return whenever we are in Galveston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TikiIslanderDined on 7/12/2014We were a group of 6 on Sat night, we have very good service, but not great, by Galveston standards we were happy. 1st round of drinks were slow coming, had to request H2O refils, inappropriate banter from the staff that brought H2O to the table, but nothing major. The food was EXCELLENT! Bread was some of the best I've had at a restaurant, ever! Cheese appetizer was incredible. My friend is still raving about the peach gazpacho. Everyone was happy w/ entrees. Our entree orders included scallops, fish special, pasta and lamb. Highly recommend them all. The only criticism I heard - Ceasar salad was a bit "fishy". Prices were also very reasonable for the quality. I would rate the food and service above that experienced at Pier 13.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place to celebrateGalvestonFoodieDined on 7/12/2014We came to The Pelican Club to celebrate my son's college graduation with a special dinner. We were not disappointed! The restaurant is a lovely place to be, special but not too formal. Our meal began with a selection of very good freshly baked breads with 2 different types of butter. Entrees we tasted were the fresh seafood (sea scallops and Catch of the Day) and homemade vegetarian pasta dish and all were delicious! We enjoyed our meal with a great bottle of wine. Unique desserts we tried were the smores with smoked ice cream and a deconstructed cake. We were surprised with freshly baked cookies and Chai Truffles to complete the meal. Fabulous!!The service throughout the meal was excellent. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best dining experienceFoodieDined on 7/5/2014The Pelican Club is 5 star all the way. The food was the best that I have ever eating. Chef Ross Warhol is a true master of his craft. His entire staff and wait service was top notch. Thank you for a memorable evening. Will make this my #1 place to eat every time I am visiting Galveston Island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You will be impressed!FriendswoodVIPDined on 7/5/2014We did the tasting 10 course menu with wine pairings and it was fabulous! I do not think you can find another restaurant like it in the Houston/Galveston area. I would compare it to top notch restaurants in Napa or Sonoma, Very creative chef and delightful wait staff! Pelican Club is no longer a private club and has redecorated and hired a very impressive chef from California.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I am dreaming about that crab cake!babybearVIPDined on 7/4/2014We loved our first experience at the new and improved Pelican Club! We were wowed by the new decor but equally impressed with what the chef has to offer. I was particularly impressed with the level of service by each and every person we talked with. Antonio, Mike, Dee and Robert were all engaging and friendly without being overbearing. We will definitely come back. The crab cake was out of this world!Special Features:
- Pelican ClubvivzeeDined on 7/3/2014Great food and loved the "dinner club/speakeasy" atmosphere. Definitely worth a try if you are in Galveston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding MealOutstandingMealDined on 7/3/2014The Pelican Club has to be the best fine dining restaurant on Galveston Island. Our group started with the crab cakes and summer salad which were both excellent. We had the lamb and scallops for dinner and both were prepared perfectly. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at Pelican ClubHarborwalkcplVIPDined on 6/28/2014The service and food presentation was absolutely superb. Bar tender excellent and his concoctions delicious. Could not initially figure out parking versus Guidos, but once we discovered teh entrance to the restaurant was " around the back" all was good. We eat out a lot, especially up in Houston. This is the best value for a top line restaurant we have encountered recently. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatEaterDined on 6/21/2014Attentive and knowledgable wait staff without hovering, gracious maitre de and hostess, delicious food with beautiful presentation, quiet. A great dining experience.Special Features:
- No clear rumOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014They have a small bar. The night before had a large party that drank most of the rum they only stock 2 bottles second bottle was dropped rather then send some out for more they were waiting for the delivery the next day. Why would you think no more rum drinkers would show upSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gemAtascocito1Dined on 6/20/2014Staff ready to respond to any request or problem. Small selection, but since we went back two nights in a row, we can attest to the consistently superb cuisine. The wine list is again, limited, but perfectly tailored to the menu. Not a place for boisterous types, But, if you love food and dining for its own sake, you must visit here. When we had questions about how certain dishes were prepared that the wait staff couldn't answer, the chef came out to explain and answered all our questions. We cannot imagine a future visit to Galveston without dining here! I would rank this right up there with our best Manhattan experiences.Special Features:
- FabulousMJLFROGVIPDined on 6/19/2014The menu is very inviting, the food is delicious, the service is outstanding, and the place is beautiful - how could one ask for more? Our group had the peach gazpacho, gulf crab cake and farmstead cheese for starters - all were wonderful. For entrees we had the sea scallops, the lamb rack, and the agnolotti; and all were outstandingly delicious. For dessert, we shared the s'mores and stout - quite an experience in creativity and taste! If you like fine dining (particularly in Galveston where there is almost none), you will have a treat participating in this young imported (not from Texas) chef's fabulous dishes!! MAKE A RESERVATION and go there soon. The restaurant is on the street behind Gaido's with its own entrance and parking lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular DinnerBeachcomberDined on 6/11/2014The newly renovated Pelican Club was the perfect place to enjoy a fantastic dinner with close friends. The service was unforgettable, out server, Robert, took the time to learn our names and guided us through the menu. He was very attentive to our needs. The food was also very good. My absolute favorites were the dessert selections. They were masterfully crafted, and the flavors went well together. My only complaint was the other occupied table in the restaurant who seemed to have a poor attitude, but that did little to hamper this fantastic evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 5 reviews are from the The Pelican Club reviews archive.
- Nice for family celebration!lovegoodfoodVIPDined on 5/31/2014We had dinner here on a Saturday night, celebrating our twenty-something daughter's birthday. It was very quiet, good for conversation. The décor is lovely and the food outstanding. Would have liked to have a few more entrée choices but what we ordered was delicious and beautifully presented. One member of our party had a steak and it was tasty and perfectly prepared. Several in the party had the Halibut and it did not disappoint. My favorite would have to be the blackberry/fennel dessert. So unusual and very light! Our server was very attentive and the bartender most charming. Don't go if you are in a hurry this place is to savor and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCEgbwcDined on 5/30/2014There were 6 of us in the party and we all got something a little different. The food was delicious and the cocktails exceptional. The menu is driver by the season of the year and it is limited in choices, so you should look at the menu prior to arriving. The wait staff, manager, and head of the bar area all came to make sure we were OK. Great service, but not overly pushy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointment.LocalDinerDined on 5/10/2014The setting was lovely but the menu selection was very limited. It will be interesting to see if there is actually a market for this in Galveston. The service and setting were both great but I would hesitate to take guests because of the limited selection of menu items and lack of Pelican Club favorites. However, that may be the marketing plan - to find a different clientele.Special Features:
- Elegant and a class actTimbointxVIPDined on 5/3/2014What a beautiful dining room and one of the most exciting new menus Galveston has ever seen. A bright young chef in the kitchen has brought new life to an almost forgotten island staple. The bar is a stunner and the cocktail menu is intriguing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YayasaysDined on 5/3/2014We were greeted by friendly staff the moment we walked in. I recommend that you arrive early and enjoy the bar area before dinner. Very relaxing atmosphere. Each part of our meal was outstanding and unique. You won't find a more enjoyable dining experience on the island!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.