The Pear Southern Bistro
720 Main Street
Napa, CA 94559Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
The Pear Southern Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 7072563900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:30am-4:00pm
Dinner: Su-Th 4:00pm-9:00pm; F-Sa 4:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern
- Executive Chef: Rodney Worth
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Pear Southern Bistro
A classic American restaurant combining flavors of New Orleans and the deep South with ingredients from Napa Valley.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
The Pear Southern Bistro - Best Restaurants in Napa ›
The Pear Southern Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
163 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (102)scenic view (89)fit for foodies (63)great for lunch (61)neighborhood gem (54)special occasion (46)good for groups (36)romantic (30)great for brunch (30)notable wine list (23)kid-friendly (21)hot spot (13)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (8)Show More
- Good not greatJeffTVIPDined on 8/17/2014We had been told of this place by a winery and decided to do a later evening meal down from our hotel. The service was good though some things we wanted to try that we were told about weren't always on the menu or available. The crab appetizers and some of the main courses sounded good. We did a few appetizers and the waiter was very cool knowing we weren't doing a full meal. The crab can be strong so make sure you taste with the cheese on the artichoke dip.. The staff seems to have fun and since this place is open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner it's a good option. I hear the waffles and chicken are great also. Overall reasonable and good food. Right off the river walk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service. Bad Quality foodLizToddVIPDined on 8/16/2014Three of us went and all three disappointed. The shrimp in the Po'boy was previously frozen and tasted like it. The buns on that sandwich and the hamburger tasted days old. The actual hamburger was supposed to be medium rare and was so thin, dry and overcooked it was almost inedible. The third one for us had chicken and waffles. Looked like the chicken breast had previously been grilled with the inside grill marks, then fried. Yes that was dry and over cooked too. The waffle, she tells me was amazing. Too bad we paid eighteen dollars for a good waffle. The service was wonderful and attentive. I feel for them working there but the location will get lots of tourists so they'll probably survive without us.
- Comfort food for travelersTexan52Dined on 8/11/2014We ate dinner at 730 on a Tue evening after a day on the Wine Train. The food and service were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- naamaVIPDined on 8/8/2014The only good thing I can say about this place is that they have a good singer. We really enjoyed him but not the food
- Pear Southern for real!vmacsDined on 8/8/2014This is a great little piece of New Orleans, please take the journey; the food and staff are really great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/7/2014Someone at Pears called the day before our reservation to confirm, which was a good thing. However, at the restauranat, it was exceptionally noisey. We ordered the fondue as an appetizer and that was good. Our entre of sirloin tips salad was so tough we left most of it. We were given two desserts; flourless chocolate cake and pecan caramel tart. Both were mediocre. It's too bad because the setting lends itself to greater things. We expected more. In the future, we may try it again. Hopefully, it was just an "off" night.Special Features:
- Not recommendedrobangDined on 8/6/2014My husband and I are in Napa for the week for our anniversary and decided to try this restaurant after reviewing what seemed like a delicious menu with some good, traditional options. We started with the tator tots which were a version of croquettes, fried with a mashed potato center, and they were okay. I had the shrimp & grits and my husband, the chicken & waffles. Two staple dishes that we thought we couldn't go wrong with but were mistaken. The shrimp were wrapped in soggy bacon, over literally glops of grits with no flavor and a sad excuse for brown gravy. The chicken was dry, also lacking if flavor and the breading that tasted strongly of flour, fell off the chicken. The best part of the entire meal was the waffle and the service
- OverallPattysrDined on 8/5/2014They were out of four items on the menu. Two of which I was going to choose. Salad had bitter greens. Service was very slow. We were in there for two hours just for lunch for two. Sorry but it was not a good experience.Special Features:
- otdinerVIPDined on 8/4/2014We would have given this restaurant a better rating if they had not been out of three of the main entrees. Only 2 of our party of 8 was able to have a first choice of their opted entrée. Also, the cobb salad did not have bacon or blue cheese when served to one of our guests. Outside seating was delightful, and the server apologized for the unavailable entrees, as did the manager. Our bill was adjusted and we were given desserts that were delicious. Overall, we felt that if an item is on the regular menu, it should be available.
- "Pear" with meLSeghiDined on 8/3/2014This restaurant is tucked around the corner overlooking the river. While initially taken in by the New Orleans rustic / modern fusion style; it didn't take long for the stain of this place to be exposed. I am unsure if it was because it was going to be closing or that the place was almost empty; but after our order was taken there was no follow-up. No one to see how the food was, no one to see if drinks or water needed to be refreshed. Overall, the food was good though I would have preferred traditional maple syrup with the chicken & waffles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/3/2014Restaurant was just ok, service was fair, Gumbo Ya Ya was So So at best. Very attractive interior and nice location along the river but certainly not a top Napa valley restaurant in our opinion.
- The Pear for dinner.DatenightDined on 8/2/2014For a quieter dinner we arrived at 5:45. The food was fresh, light and tasty. I recommend the Chicken and Waffles. It was excellent and the chicken was very tender. The espressos arrived swiftly after dinner but the one dessert took a good 20 minutes to arrive after the coffee. However the staff was very accommodating for a friend with a very strict duet due to health issues. Overall I would recommend The Pear to locals and visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MixedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Voodoo Stew was great. Gumbo was just okay. Tater tots were really good. Bloody Mary was just okay. Didn't really feel like a southern bistro.. Open and glassy and shiny.
- LovetolunchVIPDined on 8/1/2014Even though mixed reviews, we chanced it because of the 1000 pts reservation time, cute restaurant front and being on the Napa River. Ordered the prime rib sandwich (sour dough roll great, the meat was horrible--brown, overdone slabs-inedible; fried chicken & waffles equally inedible: big puffy batter-- gross and the waffle is what you get in the continental breakfast at the Marriott that you pour and bake yourself. $50 down the drain. It's really a shame when a restaurant that has waffles on the menu doesn't do a good waffle--like maybe chop up some pecans and serve with WARM syrup, not cold thick Karo based maple flavored, and thin, pinkish prime rib that's succulent and juicy. Table next to us complained about overdone hamburger, too.
- PleasantJaneDined on 7/31/2014In the past we have had lunch at The Pear and sat outside where we prefer. This night we had dinner and sat inside where it is quite noisy. Ambience was OK. Service Fair. Food average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot with outdoor diningtsocerDined on 7/29/2014Quality meal with exceptional service, waitress had energetic pace and very pleasant attitude. Out door seating with a view of the river in dowtown Napa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden fruit on Napa Riverfrontvgk53Dined on 7/29/2014The Pear Southern Bistro was a nice surprise both for the food as well as the ambience. Located right on the Napa Riverfront we were able to set outside and enjoy our dinner. All of the food was prepared nicely. We found the service to be very friendly. When back in Napa I would definitely return to The Pear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice DinnerAlg1913Dined on 7/28/2014With the reservation, we were not seated promptly. The host asked to wait as he went about seating others. Another person came up to verify the reservation, and seated us. The server stopped by to take our drink order, and later for the dinner order. The place was really busy and noisy. I had trouble hearing due to the noise. The meal itself was really good - baked chicken and chicken with waffles. The dessert was also good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniqueDickVIPDined on 7/27/2014Tater Tots and Grits were delicious. We ate them as appetizers. I had the Voodoo Stew which was good, not great but the seafood portions in the stew were small. The ribs were very good and plentiful.
- Never a disappointmentRosieDined on 7/27/2014Having dined at Pear many times both for lunch and dinner, we are never disappointed. Tho we had a hiccup in our reservation, I had requested patio seating but hostess wanted to seat us inside, the manager quickly accommodated us. We had a wonderful meal, pleasant evening after the Napa Porchfest. Pear is clearly one of my top 5 Napa restaurants and one of best locations along the Napa "river promenade". I love the Black and Blue salad, others had the Cobb and the prime rib sandwich. For appetizers we had our fave -- "tater tots" and mac 'n cheese and a refreshing Arnold Palmer drink. Great food, excellent value and wait staff. patio dining is very nice too, on shady side in the hot afternoons.Special Features:
- New Favorite RestaurantGeorbynDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I thought we'd try some place different then are usual favorite restaurant and oh what a wonderful surprise The Pear was! Outside dinner with great music, the weather couldn't have been better, drinks and appetizers were a huge hit and the dinner hit it out of the ball park. Service was professional and friendly from the hostess to the waitstaff and the Manager. Watching the couples, family and groups of people all walking by enjoying the evening was enjoyable and added to the experience. Definitely our new FAVORITE restaurant in Napa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Pear Southern BistroDaMominatorDined on 7/25/2014Fabulous Food!!! There were seven of us…first time at the Bistro and we were all blown away by the quality and yumminess of the food. Will make it a staple every time we are back in Napa…generally twice a year. Thumbs up!Special Features:
- Wonderful experience at The PearjustbevDined on 7/18/2014Forget the high end restaurants that you hear about in Napa Valley. The Pear has exceptional cuisine and ambiance. This is the best kept secret in the valley. We sat outside overlooking the Napa River. Our food was exceptionally good. The service was very attentive, without hovering. There was live music that made the experience unforgettable. If you are traveling to the Napa area, put The Pear on your dining list!Special Features:
- Great Food with a ViewNapaFoodieVIPDined on 7/9/2014The food was wonderful as usual. This is a favorite spot. When work on the river is not in process, the outdoor seating is lovely. Luckily during noisy worktimes on the river, the indoor atmosphere is enjoyable as well.Special Features:
- Great Place!luvtoeatDined on 7/5/2014This was a diamond in the ruff. This place is great . Food great ! People very friendly. ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeKathyDined on 7/4/2014This place was great overall. Amazing menu. All of the dishes our group ordered were fantastic. The portion size of a couple of the dishes was ridiculously small though. The service was just ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining outdoorsSZFamilyDined on 7/4/2014We had the Cobb salad and rotisserie chicken. The salad was made with fresh veggies and crunchy bacon. The chicken had delicious flavor, slightly dry but overall very good. The outdoor setting it lovely if looking for somewhere to eat while enjoying the weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Birthday LunchAbaldacciDined on 6/30/2014My friends and I are always looking for a new & interesting restaurant for our monthly birthday celebrations-- The Pear Southern Bistro was the perfect place-- delicious food and a beautiful location! Try the fried pickles!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014Beautiful night for us to celebrate an anniversary dinner on the outside patio area. Our hostess accommodated our request to change to an outdoor table due to the warm weather and beautiful view. The food was delicious and plentiful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicken and DumplingsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014Chicken and dumpling soup was salty, but the chicken and waffles was excellent.Special Features:
- VincenzaVIPDined on 6/27/2014Would not recommend at all. Service from the kitchen was quite poor. People who came in later than our group were served and finished before our entrees arrived. portions were small. the dinner plate of gnocchi consisted of six gnocchi, which might have worked as a small plate but not as an entree. Not at the price charged.
- Very goodebkbcbDined on 6/26/2014We have been to the Pear many times and it has been consistently good. We took our son and grandson on our last visit and they really enjoyed it. My grandson especially liked the chicken Ana waffles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- samrVIPDined on 6/25/2014Very bad service had to leave after 1 hour not served
- Yummy in my tummyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2014So glad we tried this place! We got the fryed pickles which were ok. I got the strawberry basil mojito and it was soooo good! Could drink those all day. For the main dish we got the chicken & waffles which were bomb! Sooo sooo good! You have to get it! It is a big plate too, it could feed two people. We also got the burbon ribs! Also very good! It came with the mac&cheese which was the best!! Highly recommend! The service was good. Our waitress was nice. Just something you would expect. Nothing above & beyond though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedJmccartneyDined on 6/21/2014I was really excited to try this place since I love The Peasant and the Pear in Danville. I ordered the chicken and waffle. The waffle was good (it had bacon in it) but the chicken was gross. It was skinless boneless chicken breast breaded and deep fried. It was dry and had some sort of weird pinkish gel between the breading and the chicken itself. I only ate two bites of the chicken but finished the waffle. I was really looking forward to having the bread pudding since their sister restaurant makes such a great one, but I skipped it and went next door for gelato instead.
- MattycDined on 6/18/2014Food was delicious. We went on half off wine Wednesday. Chicken and waffles was to die for. Sat on patio. Service was a little slow but the view outside was nice so we didn't mind too much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tastykasmcallenDined on 6/14/2014We had the shrimp and grits, shrimp poboy and salad with salmon. It was all good, but the salad was outstanding. I'm hoping to go back for chicken and waffles before we hit the road.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find of restaurantMytwocentsDined on 6/14/2014The overall lunch experience was a memorable one. Waiter was great. Our water was kept filled which I drink a lot of water. Our 3 lunches were tasty. I had chicken and waffles. The chicken breast was so moist and waffle very tasty. The shrimp po boy was just as tasty and pulled pork sandwich was delicious. We had a very enjoyable time at this restaurant. Will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LaniDined on 6/14/2014The gumbo was quite authentic and had just the right amount of heat. Liked that there were four Napa sparkling wines on the menu, three of which are my favorite. Good place to gather friends and family for lunch.Special Features:
- A great patio!KgirlDined on 6/14/2014We have never been and decided that it would be the place to meet friends who were visiting Napa. We loved the food, service, and patio space. We felt totally relaxed and welcomed. Thanks for the experience.Special Features: