The Pear Southern Bistro
720 Main Street
Napa, CA 94559Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
The Pear Southern Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: (707) 256-3900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:30am-4:00pm
Dinner: Su-Th 4:00pm-9:00pm; F-Sa 4:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern
- Executive Chef: Rodney Worth
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Pear Southern Bistro
A classic American restaurant combining flavors of New Orleans and the deep South with ingredients from Napa Valley.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Pear Southern Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (61)fit for foodies (41)scenic view (41)great for lunch (38)neighborhood gem (32)special occasion (25)good for groups (22)kid-friendly (19)romantic (15)hot spot (14)great for brunch (13)notable wine list (12)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (2)Show More
- Celebrated 3 year anniversary. thought it was goodTimthejangDined on 11/18/2014Celebrated 3rd year anniversary. Thought it was good. I wasnt thrilled with my dish but my wife got the chicken and waffles and that was really good. they also gave us a chocolate cake for free to celebrate! it was cool!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best French Dip sandwich I've ever had!TattaaVIPDined on 11/18/2014Great menu selections, had a hard time deciding. I went with the French Dip sandwich and it was amazing!! Best french dip I've ever tasted!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant in NapaOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 11/15/2014We had reservations for a Saturday evening. Even though they were busy, we were seated early. The menu is amazing with many unique items. The portions are large. The service was attentive. We really enjoyed our dinner. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Napa River WaterfrontDangDined on 11/15/2014It was great food and I will return in the Spring so I can sit on the Napa RiverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for pre-theater dinnerJAMaudeVIPDined on 11/14/2014Our first time at Pear Southern Bistro was good, but not great. Location is ideal for pre-theater dinner. Service was very good, decor is really nice; the food was not great, but not bad. Having lived in the south for many years, we are familiar with great tasting, but not overly bad for you, southern cooking. Pear seems to be trying to figure out the balance. Fried pickles with mustard aioli were great, while cheddar tator tots were dry and not flavorful. Simple dishes like cheese grits were lumpy and course, while more complicated dishes like the ribs were done really well. Portion size on the really good chicken and waffles was gargantuan--a reason why southern food gets a bad reputation. Who doesn't like shrimp wrapped in bacon? But, on a bed of not great grits and smothered in gravy is just too much. The serving size of gumbo could have fed our entire table. The beet and goat cheese salad was really nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland dishAHMHVIPDined on 11/2/2014We chose this place on our visit to Napa - had read some good reviews. We were there on a Sunday night and not too many people were there although it could have been too early. Ordered the gumbo and it was very good. My husband ordered chicken and dumplings and there was not one drop of salt on it. EXTREMELY bland with few dumplings. Tasted like flour and water with some vegetables and chicken thrown in. That dish was supposed to be one of their specialties - not so much. We had the pear tart for dessert and it was delicious. The service was great.Special Features:
- Fabulous foodPattyDined on 10/30/2014The food was delicious! I'd highly recommend The Pear to anyone wanting a wonderful atmosphere and a fantastic meal. We had the tater tots, shrimp and grits, chicken and dumplings and the pear tart. The portions were huge so plan on taking home leftovers. Everything, including the service was fabulous.Special Features:
- The Pear - OctoberLMizeVIPDined on 10/29/2014One of my favorite restaurants in Napa - food and service is always consistent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME!dinnerwithfriendsDined on 10/25/2014Had dinner Saturday night. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Food was excellent. Have been there a few times before and have never been disappointed. Love this place!Special Features:
- Over-soldOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The service was great, but the food disappointing. The Cobb salad was good, especially the chicken, but not fabulous.
- Great for Business LunchNCTPADined on 10/16/2014The Pear is a great place for a business lunch. We orginally had 5 people in our party, but had to reduce the size to 4 and push the reservation out 30 minutes since our business meeting went over schedule. The Pear was very accomodating for us. The food and service was great. Our business will definitely return to the Pear for another business lunch.Special Features:
- CreativeLion1VIPDined on 10/12/2014The food was delicious and the descriptions on the menu were not only creative, but they "hit the nail on the head"! The service was outstanding and their flexibility in making slight modifications to the menu was greatly appreciated! Truly a winer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!NapaFoodieDined on 10/6/2014My husband and I are locals and celebrated our wedding anniversary here. The food was amazing. Loved their cucumber margarita. Overall had an amazing experience. Would recommend it to locals and tourist.Special Features:
- Great Evening at The PearsoutherneatsDined on 10/4/2014We recently visited the The Pear Southern Bistro to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We enjoyed the patio seating with a lovely view of the river. The cheese fondue appetizer was excellent and the service was friendly and relaxed. We would definitely visit again.Special Features:
- Voodoo SfewDaveSD3Dined on 10/2/2014The Voodoo Stew was very good. The ambience makes you feel like you were in New Orleans. Our waiter was so-so, but they have a good support system so that when the food was ready the first available waiter delivered it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eatsCBDRVIPDined on 9/29/2014Everything was good, as usual, except the hostess seemed determined to turn tables as quickly as possible in a nearly vacant restaurant. Even though there were plenty of open table we were seated directly next to another couple. Understandable when the restaurant is busy, but this was not the case and privacy would have been nice. I had barely taken my last bite and the hostess wanted to clear the table. Having said that the food was good, the server was very good and we love The Pear. It does seem that most Napa restaurants have a hard time keeping staff for any length of time.Special Features:
- Food is great!Wine24VIPDined on 9/27/2014If you are looking for something different in Napa for a dining option, The Pear is a fun place to enjoy some southern comfort food options. Located in the new downtown river walk on the east side which has views of the Napa river. I really enjoy the variety of the menu and I love the Chicken & Waffle entree which is my favorite. My only complaint is the food is slow coming out of the kitchen. We order some appetizers to start with as we were hungry. Patience is a must at the Pear!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood findArchsgalVIPDined on 9/26/2014Went for lunch, had a nice patio table nice view of the River. Food was down home goodness:) I had the Mac&Cheese, my husband had the pulled pork sandwich. Server was attentive but not overbearing we will definitely go again. Looking forward to trying dinner menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!SpartanDinerVIPDined on 9/24/2014Definitely have to get the rib while you're there!Special Features:
- JABnGADined on 9/24/2014The menu had so many tempting options we couldn't make a decision. In the end we ordered four dishes and split them between three of us. I still want to go back for the chicken & waffles. Great location right on the water. The best meal we had ind downtown Napa!Special Features:
- Awesome!macmoes4Dined on 9/22/2014We dined at The Pear for the first time as a party of four. The experience was amazing from start to finish! All of the food was very flavorful, the service was exceptional! We would highly recommend the Chicken & Waffles, Shrimp & Grits and the Chicken & Dumplings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!CharlieDined on 9/21/2014Living in Napa for over twenty years I have been to most if not all of the restaurants. Pear ranks up as one of the best for dinner. We have been there a few times and always have a great dinner and a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodebkbcbDined on 9/21/2014Went with our grandson and granddaughter and shared different things. The mac and cheese, fondue, chicken and waffles and fish and chips were awsome but was disappointed in the tater tots. Maybe they changed the recipe. If so please go back to the original. A table of four and we didn't finish them. But we still love the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i wanted it to be betterabbCVIPDined on 9/20/2014it wasn't bad, don't get me wrong, and maybe my expectations were high. as a party of 4, we got 4 apps, 3 entrees, and a side, so it should be pretty good representation. everything was good to ok. nothing really jumped out. i did get the chicken & waffles, and i agree w/ other reviewers: the chicken was very good but the waffle could use some work. i would've liked the waffle to be crispy/crunchier, and i'm not sure the bacon did it any favors. the syrup was definitely flavored, but i don't remember or could tell with what, and it really didn't need to be either. oh well. maybe i'm just not a chicken/waffle fan... oh, and next time, i'm sitting outside where there's live music and not nearly as noisy as inside.
- Chicken&WafflesWickettDined on 9/18/2014Where southern comfort and elegance collide. This is not a place you pass up! Food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2014What a great find in Napa. We sat outside overlooking the Napa creek. The shrimp and grits and the roasted chicken was incredible. The chicken was moist not dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- business lunchwholepackageDined on 9/18/2014We often go to Celedon when clients or friends come into town, and we love it there, but extremely enjoyed the food, service, location and price of The Pear Bistro for our last reservation. This is a fantastic spot!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicely done!NicoLiscioudVIPDined on 9/13/2014I lived everything about this place except one: they do not carry spirits, rather only beers and wines. It would be nice if, when asking about a "cocktail" order, servers let patrons know that, for instance, the Cucumber Margarita does not contain tequila; it contains agave wine. Just a suggestion. Other than that, the chicken and waffles were succulent, crispy, balanced and decadent. The meatloaf was tender, tangy and hearty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Gem!LovedItDined on 9/13/2014This place was recommended by one of my foodie friends. She did not disappoint. From when I was greeted at the door to when I left, service was excellent. The food was fantastic as well, we had a burger, the gumbo, and a special sandwich for that day and all were great. It's right next to the Napa River and walking distance to everything downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pear is amust !bud0727Dined on 9/12/2014The hostess was greatvin getting us outside, where the music and people watching were both GRES. But the Food was best...yumB dbI would recommend this to a friend.
- Huge disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/10/2014I used to go in for the chicken & waffle. On this visit the glassware had a funky smell that made the wine smell foul (there was nothing wrong with the wine) and the chicken tasted as though it was fried in the same oil as the fish & chips. Our server alternated between condescending and attitude. We won't be back.
- Great food, not so great serviceNapamomDined on 9/10/2014The food at Pear is very good. We tried many things on the menu and honestly they were all delicious. This is the second time I have eaten at Pear, and both times the service has not been great. This time the manager noticed the "lack of enthusiasm" by our server and that seemed to improve the service. The food does make up for the relatively poor service.Special Features:
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/7/2014We enjoy Pear every time we go. Bruch has become our new favorite as they do staple items with a twist. My primrib hash with two eggs and fresh zucchini was amazing. This is also the second time that I have seen an omelet perfectly cooked (I prefer my eggs without any browning). It was hard to not get their chicken and waffle as it is probably the best in the valley.Special Features:
- Location, Location, LocationRanfoodieDined on 9/3/2014This is great spot to sit outside and watch the surrounding area. Our server took good care of us. The food is a little overpriced for mostly comfort food. If you are going to charge these prices, then you need to kick it up a notch or two. I would stick with appetizers and a glass of wine and enjoy the Napa River.Special Features:
- Highly RecommendPJANDJJDined on 9/2/2014My Family and I had a wonderful dinner. Half a rotisserie chicken seasoned perfectly with mashed potato's and green beans. It was delicious and a healthy portion of food which we had to take half of it home. Fried chicken and waffles very tasty and also a large portion. I would highly recommend you try this gem.Special Features:
- Awesome ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2014We came in several days after the earthquake and the Pear was up and running. Several staff members stopped by to ask how we were doing and if our house "survived". They also shared their stories. It was great to be back among our neighbors and fellow Napa folks.Special Features:
- bland and disappointingChamyDined on 8/25/2014My boyfriend and I were really looking forward to eating at The Pear, but ended up being very disappointed. The crab dip,chicken and dumplings and gouda mac and cheese were terribly underseasoned. We needed a steak knife to eat the ribs...they were very chewy as well. For spending $100, we should have had at least a decent meal. I work at a bed and breakfast where I used to always recommend The Pear to my guests, but I won't be doing that anymore. On a side note, however, our server was great and the wine and strawberry basil mojito was delightful! Beautiful restaurant as well. It's a shame the food couldn't match up.
- GOOD . . . BUT NOT GREAT ! ! !FoodiesGaloreVIPDined on 8/21/2014We went for lunch and sat outside overlooking the Napa River, which was very nice. Bistro Certified Angus Burger ($13) lettuce, tomato, mayo, red onions and pickles. Add Bacon, Brie, or Cheddar for $1 or Gruyere or Point Reyes Blue for $2 . . . the burger was good, but not great. The Po’ Boy ($14) Crispy Gulf rock shrimp with lettuce, tomato and a cajun remoulade was very good, but salty. Good food . . . but we wouldn't rush back.
- Lots of Food!KrisVIPDined on 8/21/2014The Pear Southern Bistro may be a bit too Southern in its portion size. I could only make it through half my lunch, but, that being said, it was tasty and I enjoyed it. Just hate to waste food....Do not, however, order the tater tots: they are fried mushy mashed potatoes and not worth the calorie intake!Special Features:
- The Hidden PearBirdieDined on 8/19/2014We could not find this place without asking in a nearby shop. A sign with arrow would be helpkful. The fish and chips was too much for me to finish but tasted good - good slaw . The four of us were happy until the waiter scolded us for not telling him sooner that we wanted seperate checks. Also, the math on our bills giving tip amounts is questionableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.