The Peacock Inn
20 Bayard Lane
Princeton, NJ 08540Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Peacock Inn
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thepeacockinn.com/
- Phone: 6099241707x
- Hours of Operation:
The Peacock Inn Bar: Open daily at 5:00pm
The Peacock Inn Restaurant: Open daily at 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Manuel Perez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: We would be happy to host your event with seating up to 85 guests. We are able to accommodate private functions 7 nights a week. Please contact Michelle Cwiek, Event Coordinator for additional information at firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from The Peacock Inn
The Peacock Inn – which was named "Restaurant Of The Year" by the Star-Ledger newspaper and one of the Top 25 Restaurants of New Jersey in 2013 by NJ Monthly – offers guests an elegant and exceptional dining experience. Attentive service, chic décor, and the contemporary approach to Chef Manuel Perez’s “New American” cuisine, make The Peacock Inn the perfect choice for a romantic evening, business dinner, or special occasion. The intimate dining rooms blend elegance, comfort, and sophistication. The walls showcase prized artwork, murals, and menus from the 1930’s, some of which were discovered behind cement walls in the basement of this historic building. Spend some time in the contemporary bar at The Peacock Inn while enjoying small plates prepared by Chef Perez while sipping your favorite cocktail or a choice wine.The restaurant is open for dinner seven days a week and Sunday Brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Peacock Inn - Best Restaurants in Princeton ›
The Peacock Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (89)romantic (75)fit for foodies (72)notable wine list (43)neighborhood gem (35)great for brunch (15)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (8)great for lunch (4)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Absolutely AMAZINGAwesomeScottVIPDined on 10/18/2014I had moved away from the area so hadnt been here in years and frankly the last time I was here it was just OK. This time wow, from the cocktails in the bar to the food to the service. Home Run. I will absolutely be going back and bringing friends. Only comment is if you are seated near the kitchen door and have a reservation later on like I did, be prepared the chef has a tendency to drop some colorful language rather loudly.Special Features:
- AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/18/2014This was a return trip for two couples and the first time for the third and it was exceptional. Service, food, company (which Peacock Inn had nothing to do with) - we celebrate our anniversaries together every year and selected Peacock Inn for this year and were very happy we did. The evening was perfectly paced and the wait staff was ever present but unobtrusive. In short, we had a wonderful dining experience. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your mom's mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014If you are looking for a restaurant where the chef can combine ingredients in ways that you have not tried anywhere else and where these combinations work together so much better than you could imagine, this is the place for you. And this doesn't even mention the professionalism of the staff who strike a perfect balance between being solicitous and not overbearing. I would absolutely recommend indulging in the tasting menu and if so inclined try the wine pairings as the selections are a beautiful match for the dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best restaurants in NJ!MaryGDined on 10/16/2014This is my second time at the Peacock Inn. Enjoyed the 5 course menu with wine pairings. Our server, Manny, was so accommodating. When we noticed the lobster had been swapped out for a salmon dish for the 3rd course, he added it back in for us. My friend did not like any of the appetizers on the prix fixed menu. Again, no issue. Manny let her pick another one. Every course was delectable and the service, divine! Our kudos to the chef, Manny, and everyone else who works at the Peacock Inn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- And it was here all the time.DebbieDined on 10/12/2014The last time I was here must have been over 15 years ago. There's been quite an improvement. The current setting is intimate and comfortable. The three of us ordered nine dishes; an appetizer, entree, and dessert each. We felt that the scallop appetizer, the salmon entree, the warm toffee cake dessert, and the cheese plate were the standouts. Dinner for three adults including wine was approximately $300. This is expensive for Princeton but cheaper than NYC, where the same quality would run about $400, without counting the commute. The service was excellent. Overall, I'd say this was a good deal for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional dining...PrincetonPauperDined on 10/11/2014Exceptional dining in a class all it's own. Service was very attentive, although staff was a bit pompous...but matches the $$$$. Even though we did not arrive until nearly 10pm, they did not rush us out. We didn't wrap up until well after midnight. We did the 5 course tasting menu with Grand Wine pairing. Preparation and presentation was simply outstanding. More expensive than most NYC restaurants, but far superior. The beef was a little underwhelming, but everything else was scrumptious. Will definitely return for client dinners or another special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb with wonderful food and winesigugDined on 10/11/2014We had the 5-course wine pairing menu. The soup, scallops and salmon were better than perfect - the best we've had. But the duck breast and bison were a bit disappointing. The wines were superb and a perfect selection for every course, really enhancing the food and experience. The desserts are very good. Service was the way it should be.....very attentive and helpful, but not overbearing. The portions were the right size. We have been to many fine restaurants and and plan to return. Perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Simply fabulous!RichVIPDined on 10/11/2014Perfect romantic evening with great food, great wine list and great service from a friendly staff.Special Features:
- One of 25 Best in NJwineguyDined on 10/3/2014We went to the Peacock Inn for a special occasion, our anniversary. We had been there once before many years ago before the renovation. We wanted to go to a special restaurant and it had been rated a top 25 in NJ by NJ Monthly. We were not disappointed. We splurged and had the 5 course tasting menu along with the grand wine choices. You have to try the sticky toffee date cake for dessert. Each dish was excellent and so were the wine choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/30/2014Martini up glasses were not full. Only 2/3s full for $15 per.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unforgettable!pickyeater1Dined on 9/27/2014Excellent Food and service made my wife's Birthday celebration unforgettable. The 5-course tasting menu provided one surprise after the next. Service was attentive and on point. Do not pass on the Tuna Tartar, the only sushi dish my wife will ever try again. Truly a remarkable fine dining experience, we can't wait for our anniversary to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another enjoyable eveningArthurJacobVIPDined on 9/23/2014We had a great time, as usual. I would only point out that an ordered chicken entree, unlike many of the other entrees, was disappointingly bland and unimaginative for the usually stellar restaurant food-wise.Special Features:
- Everything consistently greatGreenVIPDined on 9/23/2014Prior visits found many hits and one or two misses on food or service. Last visit was consistenly outstanding. The most romantic in Princeton too. Try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Equal to its reviewsSUMomDined on 9/21/2014Peacock Inn entirely fulfilled what I had read of its wonderful food reviews. We did the tasting menu in order to sample many menu items as the list of a la carte entrees gave entirely too many good choices. In addition the staff was wonderfully attentive without being obtrusive, informational without being snobby. Despite its upper class ambiance and food the Peacock Inn is a wonderfully friendly place. (I have gone to restaurants in Princeton where the food was not as good and the staff was insufferably snobby!) Not that you should walk in with jeans and a tee shirt, but we were warmly welcomed on a Sun night dressed in khakis and polos. The valet parking was impeccable. If I went there on a Fri or Sat night I would dress up more.Special Features:
- Sunday DinnerwineanddineVIPDined on 9/21/2014This was a great way to spend the last sunday of summer; perfect food and wine pairings with the usual first-rate service. They're still the best in central Jersey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprised by service blundersoverweightdinnerVIPDined on 9/20/2014The food was outstanding (as usual!). We waited an unusually long time for our pre-dinner cocktails to arrive. We ordered our pre-fixed dinners to include wine pairing. Our first course arrived without wine and we needed to request an appearance of our waiter. Service for that course was further delayed while bottles were opened. The second and third courses were appropriately served with the wine arriving slightly before the food. Yet, the meat course was again 'wine tardy'. We waited with our plates presented waiting for the wine presentation and pouring. Not acceptable at this price point!Special Features:
- Perfect night outstealth520Dined on 9/20/2014My husband and I had a wonderful anniversary dinner at The Peacock Inn. The food was delicious! I had the corn soup and butter poached lobster and my husband had the tuna tartar and the bison mignon. The chocolate napoleon and a cheese plate finished our meal perfectly. We ordered off the a la carte menu but I definitely want to try the tasting menu on my next visit. Service was attentive without being annoying and the wine recommendations were on point as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice restaurantdianedDined on 9/20/2014The food was excellent, the decor sophisticated, the service impeccable. We had a lovely evening and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful mealKathrynDined on 9/17/2014We absolutely loved the menu choices and how fresh the food was. The service was very attentive and charming. We loved the all the dishes especially the lobster.Special Features:
- Finally, a great oneGenoDined on 9/16/2014Having moved to the greater Princeton area, we have been looking for resturaunts on a par with NYC and Bergen county. At last we have found one. If you are looking for a resturant where the food and wine are paramount, this is it. Not for the two-fer crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014We had the 5 course tasting menu and it was incredible. Best meal I have had in NJSpecial Features:
- Excellent and consistently soArthurJacobVIPDined on 9/9/2014The Peacock Inn's restaurant is wonderful. As usual....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YolyOVIPDined on 9/7/2014Celebrated my birthday here the other day and enjoyed every minute and every morsel! One note to the restaurant however: please don't accept guests that come in tattered short-shorts, since it gives the place an air of trashiness that it doesn't deserve. This is an upscale restaurant that makes you feel like it's a special night out, not a night at the county fair. If someone had shown up like that at an upscale NYC restaurant, they would've been turned away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surpassed the finestLOVEFINEDINEDined on 9/6/2014By far better than any 5 star NYC dining experience. Elegant, refined, top cuisine. Will return again and again. Class act.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sharing with FriendsAikiman31Dined on 9/6/2014My wife and I celebrated her birthday here, on August 2nd, and feel in love with the people, food and ambiance of the Peacock Inn. During our wonderful meal my wife thought of two dear friends that she wanted to share this experience with. She knew they would enjoy everything as much as we did. So on September 6th we returned to share with them the sites, sounds and flavors of the Peacock Inn. Just recently we recommended a place for the two of them to try in Paris France, the Auberge Nicolas Flamels'. As we were eating they stated that this was the second place we recommended that they will go to again, Auberge Nicolas Flamels' & The Peacock Inn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- collegedinnerDined on 9/5/2014I took my son to Peacock Inn for a dinner the night before his start of his freshman year at Princeton university. The environment and food were perfect for this occasion!Special Features:
- Fancy Restaurantvery41Dined on 9/3/2014I proposed to my girlfriend there, and the 5 course thing is awesome!Special Features:
- docdentmedDined on 8/30/2014Great food and great ambiance. Pricey but well worth it. Perfect for that special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!MemphisMomVIPDined on 8/29/2014We celebrated my daughter's send off to college with a lovely evening at The Peacock Inn. The service was lively and the food delicious. We were a party of five and each one of us enjoyed our choices and wanted to share! I highly recommend the restaurant, bar and hotel! In the heart of Princeton!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!BucksfoodieDined on 8/28/2014We were looking for a special night out where we could dress up & feel romantic. Had the 5 course summer tasting menu. Each of us had 1 of the 2 options so we tried all 10 items on the menu. Delicious! Definitely going back for the fall tasting menu! 3 things on the ambiance rate it a 3. Rooms are nice but too bright, can't hear the music & billing work station is in plain sight, which hurts the romantic feel. Also, the bar is under renovation so they've used a dining area as bar/work area for the servers. There are pocket doors meant to hide the mess but were open often so took away from the fine dining atmosphere. Should be more orderly so if door is opened customers don't see a mess. Once bar is renovated probably won't be an issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!mmcdoleDined on 8/28/2014My husband and I visited Peacock Inn for the first time when we went there for his birthday dinner. We were instantly smitten by the decor and atmosphere, and it turns out that the food is very good and the service was excellent, too! The staff was prompt and courteous without being intrusive. The menu had lots of options, and even though we chose the five-course tasting menu, I was able to request a substitution for one of the courses. Our only (minor) criticism was that the portions were a bit large (at least for the tasting menu) - they could have halved most of courses and it would have been the perfect amount of food. But that is the only suggestion we have for improvement; the food and service were excellent overall - we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, but expensiveHeartyEaterDined on 8/25/2014This is a great restaurant that consistently serves well prepared dishes across a moderately wide spectrum of styles. Excellent for special occasions. However, it can be quite expensive. A fixed price, 5 course meal ran $91 (plus tax and tip), with an additional $50 if you wanted the wine pairings (5 separate "wines" - included a sparkling wine and a port). Careful selections of perhaps 3 courses would run about $60. However, it is definitely worth the money on a periodic basis.Special Features:
- Brunch at Peacock InnnotimpressedDined on 8/17/2014I thought the brunch was very over-priced. Coffee and tea were not included in the fixed price menu ($32 a person) and the food was nothing special. While the service was good the meal was not worth the price. I was waiting for a dessert tray to be included and desserts were an extra $10. There are other places to go for less money and just as good, if not better.
- Long time comingRenaissanceManDinesDined on 8/14/2014This review has been a long time coming. My wife and I have had the pleasure of dining here many times, and it was really this last time that made it personal enough for me to want to share it with the world. We decided to go for our anniversary and I wanted to make the meal extra special for my wife, so I simply sent a few requests to the hotel and Chef Perez responded promptly that fulfilling my requests would be no problem. The small details can turn a meal into a memorable experience and that is what Chef Perez did for us. I do want to mention that the staff is always on their toes and the food is ALWAYS consistent, but more than that, consistent with perfect execution. Let's just say that we always leave here planning the next visit...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foie gras and duck breastFriederVIPDined on 8/14/2014Had the foie gras pate as an appetizer and the duck breast (medium, cooked to perfection!) as main course along with a half bottle of brunello (thanks for offering a half bottle for single diners). Was on business. Visited the Peacock Inn before. Will visit again.Special Features:
- Had Sunday BrunchPeacockPerfectDined on 8/10/2014We enjoyed the Peacock Inn Brunch very much. The food was very good, well prepared and tasty. The service could not have been better. In the upcoming months we plan to have lunch and dinner there (several times) as well .....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- peacockiesDined on 8/9/2014Entire meal stunning. Could make an entire meal of appetizers. Cynthia took over for her husband. since this was our first visit, cannot imagine that her husband could create a meal any better. Can't wait to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall satisfied8HH8Dined on 8/8/2014It's a good spot for a semi-casual date, small group gathering, or a private party for special occasions. Service here is excellent, if the environment would be more conversation friendly, like those private rooms, should also be a perfect place for family reunion or business meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingmareDined on 8/4/2014If you want to celebrate a special occasion in your life or just want to enjoy a romantic dinner for two, I would sternly recommend the Peacock Inn. The menu is unique and the food is outstanding. I would strongly recommend the duck breast. It is the best duck that I have ever had anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menu was phenominaldhp8446Dined on 8/3/2014The tasting menu was really good - great to get to sample some different things on the menu! Everything was amazing! The service was good but not impeccable. A great anniversary dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.