The Peacock Inn
20 Bayard Lane
Princeton, NJ 08540Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Peacock Inn
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thepeacockinn.com/
- Phone: 6099241707x
- Hours of Operation:
The Peacock Inn Bar: Open daily at 5:00pm
The Peacock Inn Restaurant: Open daily at 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Manuel Perez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: We would be happy to host your event with seating up to 85 guests. We are able to accommodate private functions 7 nights a week. Please contact Michelle Cwiek, Event Coordinator for additional information at email@example.com
A word from The Peacock Inn
The Peacock Inn – which was named "Restaurant Of The Year" by the Star-Ledger newspaper and one of the Top 25 Restaurants of New Jersey in 2013 by NJ Monthly – offers guests an elegant and exceptional dining experience. Attentive service, chic décor, and the contemporary approach to Chef Manuel Perez’s “New American” cuisine, make The Peacock Inn the perfect choice for a romantic evening, business dinner, or special occasion. The intimate dining rooms blend elegance, comfort, and sophistication. The walls showcase prized artwork, murals, and menus from the 1930’s, some of which were discovered behind cement walls in the basement of this historic building. Spend some time in the contemporary bar at The Peacock Inn while enjoying small plates prepared by Chef Perez while sipping your favorite cocktail or a choice wine.The restaurant is open for dinner seven days a week and Sunday Brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Peacock Inn - Best Restaurants in Princeton ›
The Peacock Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (88)romantic (75)fit for foodies (68)notable wine list (42)neighborhood gem (34)great for brunch (17)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (9)great for lunch (6)hot spot (4)scenic view (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- Unforgettable!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014Excellent Food and service made my wife's Birthday celebration unforgettable. The 5-course tasting menu provided one surprise after the next. Service was attentive and on point. Do not pass on the Tuna Tartar, the only sushi dish my wife will ever try again. Truly a remarkable fine dining experience, we can't wait for our anniversary to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another enjoyable eveningArthurJacobVIPDined on 9/23/2014We had a great time, as usual. I would only point out that an ordered chicken entree, unlike many of the other entrees, was disappointingly bland and unimaginative for the usually stellar restaurant food-wise.Special Features:
- Everything consistently greatGreenVIPDined on 9/23/2014Prior visits found many hits and one or two misses on food or service. Last visit was consistenly outstanding. The most romantic in Princeton too. Try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Equal to its reviewsSUMomDined on 9/21/2014Peacock Inn entirely fulfilled what I had read of its wonderful food reviews. We did the tasting menu in order to sample many menu items as the list of a la carte entrees gave entirely too many good choices. In addition the staff was wonderfully attentive without being obtrusive, informational without being snobby. Despite its upper class ambiance and food the Peacock Inn is a wonderfully friendly place. (I have gone to restaurants in Princeton where the food was not as good and the staff was insufferably snobby!) Not that you should walk in with jeans and a tee shirt, but we were warmly welcomed on a Sun night dressed in khakis and polos. The valet parking was impeccable. If I went there on a Fri or Sat night I would dress up more.Special Features:
- Sunday DinnerwineanddineVIPDined on 9/21/2014This was a great way to spend the last sunday of summer; perfect food and wine pairings with the usual first-rate service. They're still the best in central Jersey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprised by service blundersoverweightdinnerVIPDined on 9/20/2014The food was outstanding (as usual!). We waited an unusually long time for our pre-dinner cocktails to arrive. We ordered our pre-fixed dinners to include wine pairing. Our first course arrived without wine and we needed to request an appearance of our waiter. Service for that course was further delayed while bottles were opened. The second and third courses were appropriately served with the wine arriving slightly before the food. Yet, the meat course was again 'wine tardy'. We waited with our plates presented waiting for the wine presentation and pouring. Not acceptable at this price point!Special Features:
- Perfect night outstealth520Dined on 9/20/2014My husband and I had a wonderful anniversary dinner at The Peacock Inn. The food was delicious! I had the corn soup and butter poached lobster and my husband had the tuna tartar and the bison mignon. The chocolate napoleon and a cheese plate finished our meal perfectly. We ordered off the a la carte menu but I definitely want to try the tasting menu on my next visit. Service was attentive without being annoying and the wine recommendations were on point as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful mealKathrynDined on 9/17/2014We absolutely loved the menu choices and how fresh the food was. The service was very attentive and charming. We loved the all the dishes especially the lobster.Special Features:
- Finally, a great oneGenoDined on 9/16/2014Having moved to the greater Princeton area, we have been looking for resturaunts on a par with NYC and Bergen county. At last we have found one. If you are looking for a resturant where the food and wine are paramount, this is it. Not for the two-fer crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014We had the 5 course tasting menu and it was incredible. Best meal I have had in NJSpecial Features:
- Excellent and consistently soArthurJacobVIPDined on 9/9/2014The Peacock Inn's restaurant is wonderful. As usual....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YolyOVIPDined on 9/7/2014Celebrated my birthday here the other day and enjoyed every minute and every morsel! One note to the restaurant however: please don't accept guests that come in tattered short-shorts, since it gives the place an air of trashiness that it doesn't deserve. This is an upscale restaurant that makes you feel like it's a special night out, not a night at the county fair. If someone had shown up like that at an upscale NYC restaurant, they would've been turned away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surpassed the finestLOVEFINEDINEDined on 9/6/2014By far better than any 5 star NYC dining experience. Elegant, refined, top cuisine. Will return again and again. Class act.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- collegedinnerDined on 9/5/2014I took my son to Peacock Inn for a dinner the night before his start of his freshman year at Princeton university. The environment and food were perfect for this occasion!Special Features:
- Fancy Restaurantvery41Dined on 9/3/2014I proposed to my girlfriend there, and the 5 course thing is awesome!Special Features:
- docdentmedDined on 8/30/2014Great food and great ambiance. Pricey but well worth it. Perfect for that special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!MemphisMomVIPDined on 8/29/2014We celebrated my daughter's send off to college with a lovely evening at The Peacock Inn. The service was lively and the food delicious. We were a party of five and each one of us enjoyed our choices and wanted to share! I highly recommend the restaurant, bar and hotel! In the heart of Princeton!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!BucksfoodieDined on 8/28/2014We were looking for a special night out where we could dress up & feel romantic. Had the 5 course summer tasting menu. Each of us had 1 of the 2 options so we tried all 10 items on the menu. Delicious! Definitely going back for the fall tasting menu! 3 things on the ambiance rate it a 3. Rooms are nice but too bright, can't hear the music & billing work station is in plain sight, which hurts the romantic feel. Also, the bar is under renovation so they've used a dining area as bar/work area for the servers. There are pocket doors meant to hide the mess but were open often so took away from the fine dining atmosphere. Should be more orderly so if door is opened customers don't see a mess. Once bar is renovated probably won't be an issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!mmcdoleDined on 8/28/2014My husband and I visited Peacock Inn for the first time when we went there for his birthday dinner. We were instantly smitten by the decor and atmosphere, and it turns out that the food is very good and the service was excellent, too! The staff was prompt and courteous without being intrusive. The menu had lots of options, and even though we chose the five-course tasting menu, I was able to request a substitution for one of the courses. Our only (minor) criticism was that the portions were a bit large (at least for the tasting menu) - they could have halved most of courses and it would have been the perfect amount of food. But that is the only suggestion we have for improvement; the food and service were excellent overall - we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, but expensiveHeartyEaterDined on 8/25/2014This is a great restaurant that consistently serves well prepared dishes across a moderately wide spectrum of styles. Excellent for special occasions. However, it can be quite expensive. A fixed price, 5 course meal ran $91 (plus tax and tip), with an additional $50 if you wanted the wine pairings (5 separate "wines" - included a sparkling wine and a port). Careful selections of perhaps 3 courses would run about $60. However, it is definitely worth the money on a periodic basis.Special Features:
- Brunch at Peacock InnnotimpressedDined on 8/17/2014I thought the brunch was very over-priced. Coffee and tea were not included in the fixed price menu ($32 a person) and the food was nothing special. While the service was good the meal was not worth the price. I was waiting for a dessert tray to be included and desserts were an extra $10. There are other places to go for less money and just as good, if not better.
- Long time comingRenaissanceManDinesDined on 8/14/2014This review has been a long time coming. My wife and I have had the pleasure of dining here many times, and it was really this last time that made it personal enough for me to want to share it with the world. We decided to go for our anniversary and I wanted to make the meal extra special for my wife, so I simply sent a few requests to the hotel and Chef Perez responded promptly that fulfilling my requests would be no problem. The small details can turn a meal into a memorable experience and that is what Chef Perez did for us. I do want to mention that the staff is always on their toes and the food is ALWAYS consistent, but more than that, consistent with perfect execution. Let's just say that we always leave here planning the next visit...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foie gras and duck breastFriederVIPDined on 8/14/2014Had the foie gras pate as an appetizer and the duck breast (medium, cooked to perfection!) as main course along with a half bottle of brunello (thanks for offering a half bottle for single diners). Was on business. Visited the Peacock Inn before. Will visit again.Special Features:
- Had Sunday BrunchPeacockPerfectDined on 8/10/2014We enjoyed the Peacock Inn Brunch very much. The food was very good, well prepared and tasty. The service could not have been better. In the upcoming months we plan to have lunch and dinner there (several times) as well .....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- peacockiesDined on 8/9/2014Entire meal stunning. Could make an entire meal of appetizers. Cynthia took over for her husband. since this was our first visit, cannot imagine that her husband could create a meal any better. Can't wait to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall satisfied8HH8Dined on 8/8/2014It's a good spot for a semi-casual date, small group gathering, or a private party for special occasions. Service here is excellent, if the environment would be more conversation friendly, like those private rooms, should also be a perfect place for family reunion or business meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingmareDined on 8/4/2014If you want to celebrate a special occasion in your life or just want to enjoy a romantic dinner for two, I would sternly recommend the Peacock Inn. The menu is unique and the food is outstanding. I would strongly recommend the duck breast. It is the best duck that I have ever had anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menu was phenominaldhp8446Dined on 8/3/2014The tasting menu was really good - great to get to sample some different things on the menu! Everything was amazing! The service was good but not impeccable. A great anniversary dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change of CourseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014We brimmed with anticipation for the 5 course tasting w/wine pairing as described online. When we arrived, they changed 2 dishes to our chagrin - Scallop to Gnocchi and Lobster to Salmon. There wasn't, however, a change in price. Nonetheless, we moved forward without protest. Each dish was solid with some stand-outs (Fois Gras Terrine, Corn Agnolotti, Glazed Duck). Sadly with the wine, I didn’t feel any complemented my dishes. The Inn itself is charming but the tables might be a bit too close for comfort. Service was attentive but not overbearing. Considering the dish downgrades and wine selections, I would have appreciated a more palatable price tag but in the end the negatives were salvaged by service and dishes I highlighted.Special Features:
- romantic brunchmschleisDined on 7/27/2014Romantic brunch for two in a special ambience. The food and service were very good, the $5 cocktails simple but very tasty and affordable. I recommend the sweet corn soup which was delicious. The staff was very friendly and professional. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good all around experiencenzplz2bDined on 7/23/2014Pleasant atmosphere, very good chef with dining ambience included, good bar atmosphere with pleasant surroundings, and pleasant rooms to retire to at the end of the evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as great as it used to be.JCranburyVIPDined on 7/19/2014been to this restaurant a few times before. won't return. upon arrival (arrived a few minutes early): asked to wait for "2-3 minutes" (really, 10), then sat down in an empty room...which continued to be pretty unoccupied throughout our meal. service: mediocre. the waiter appeared to be uneducated about the menu. the support staff was great (asking if we wanted more bread, explaining the dishes). waited for at least 10 minutes after finishing entrees, waiter walked by several times, finally called his name and asked for the check. we would have likely had dessert (at least coffee), if the service had been better. food: not as great as it used to be. portions for a la carte are too big and off balance. no vegetarian entree options.
- FantasticBonesVIPDined on 7/18/2014My wife and I selected the five course tasting menu and every dish was excellent although the very tasty beef was somewhat gristley. This is clearly as good a restaurant as there is in New Jersey.Special Features:
- Should be a five star!tiachan00Dined on 7/14/2014I stayed at the Peacock Inn the night I eloped in Princeton. I knew nothing about it as an undergraduate at Princeton, but when I was looking for accommodation, the restaurant at the Peacock Inn swayed my decision. My husband and I got the 5 course tasting menu, and it was completely worth it. Every dish was a revelation, and we enjoyed the range of flavors prepared by the chef. Hopefully we will be able to return there the next time we are in town, and Zagat will recognize that they should be a five star establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely BrunchArthurJacobVIPDined on 7/13/2014We enjoy dining at Peacock Inn since it re-opened, but had yet to try it for Sunday Brunch. It was lovely. Elegant, relaxed, civilized. We all enjoyed our dishes very much. P.S. The gnocchi was back to its original awesomeness! Best. Gnocchi. Ever.Special Features:
- Nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014The meal at the Inn was very good, though portions are small. The greens salad was delicious, and, while the corn soup was tasty, it was somewhat disappointing. The entrees, lamb chops and sirloin were excellent, the best part of the meal. Deserts were not extraordinary. We had the cherry and almond tart, more of an almond cake with cherries in it. The marscapone cheesecake was the better choice. The ambience was a bit dull and understated for my taste. That being said, we enjoyed the experience and would go again.Special Features:
- nice but not greatexperiencedtravelerDined on 7/10/2014Receptionist was arrogant. My son and I were clearly placed in the non local section of the restaurant. Food was good but over priced for what it was. Service was very good.Special Features:
- MEP1120Dined on 7/6/2014Excellent brunch menu nice ambience first visit to Princeton would return again-lovely meeting spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice experienceeeglewingDined on 6/23/2014We had the 5 course menu. The food was presented in an appealing way and the preparations were excellent.Special Features:
- CompletewineanddineVIPDined on 6/22/2014Everything was perfect. From the seared sea scallop, the glazed duck breast (both with great wine pairings) to the cherry tart with port, I could not have had a better dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.