The Patio on Guerra
116 S 17th St
Mcallen, TX 78501Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
The Patio on Guerra
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.patioonguerra.com/
- Phone: (956) 661-9100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00 PM - 11:00 PM, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 2:00 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Vladimir Cruz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Patio on Guerra’s beautiful private "Centennial Room" is perfect for business meetings and special events. It is appointed with rich brick walls, gas lights and original regional artwork that reflect the same historic and elegant setting as the main restaurant. The room is also fully equipped with an lcd projector, drop down screen and wireless microphone. It is Webinar-ready with internet access and table speakerphones upon request. The Patio on Guerra's on-site event coordinators will assist you in planning your event. Whether you decide on a sit down dinner or informal mixer, we will develop personalized menus that work with your meeting or special occasion budget. Our table arrangements are also completely flexible and can seat up to 60 guests comfortably. There is no room fee for the use of the private room or the equipment therein. Please visit our website to view our gallery of photos under the heading "private room.”
- Private Party Contact: Becky Guerra or Annette Mata 9566619100x
- Entertainment: Enjoy delicious signature cocktails, including our Akita Mary, winner of the 2011 Absolut Vodka National Bloody Mary Competition, along with great live music indoors and outdoors. The Patio on Guerra hosts many of South Texas" best local musicians. Inside the main dining room we feature instrumental music and classic favorites. In our beautiful outdoor patio, guests dance under the stars during our cool Valley evenings to the rhythms of the 70's and 80's on Fridays and to the beats of Salsa and Merengue on Saturdays.
- Cross Street: Business 83
- Public Transit: We do have free shuttle service available upon request.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is plenty of metered parking in front of the restaurant along 17th Street; after 6:30 PM the parking in front is free. There is a large 60 car public lot directly behind the restaurant where parking is free 24 hours a day. A guest who parks in this area will find easy access to the restaurant using our convenient back entrance.
A word from The Patio on Guerra
Our story starts at the turn of the century in 1908, three Guerra Brothers from Starr County went to San Antonio to sell mules. They returned to the Rio Grande Valley and with the profits, opened a ranching and mercantile store in downtown McAllen. Some 100 years later, Guerra family descendants have revived this site on 17th street, (originally known as "Guerra Street.") The Patio on Guerra restaurant opened in 2008 in one of the oldest buildings in downtown McAllen. The main dining room is set in the original brick walls of this historic structure. With its comfortable chairs, subtle lighting and linen-topped tables, diners feel the warmth and ambiance of romantic yesteryear. Featuring USDA Prime Steaks, seafood and regional favorites, our commitment to fine dining and excellent service make for a memorable experience whether you choose our main dining room or lovely outdoor patio surrounded by tall delicate palm trees. Recipient of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Patio on Guerra - Best Restaurants in McAllen ›
The Patio on Guerra reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (12)romantic (10)notable wine list (6)good for groups (6)great for outdoor dining (5)late-night find (5)fit for foodies (4)neighborhood gem (3)scenic view (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- The PatioOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014Good food just somewhat pricey. Wine is definitely overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014I requested reservations online for my in-laws 85th and 87th birthday dinner. My quest for a quiet table in the corner was met as well as a surprise birthday dessert and singing by the guitarist in the bar area. The service was outstanding and made the evening even more special.Special Features:
- just one problemAADApolonioDined on 11/1/2014So, it turns out I waited a good 20 to 25 minutes for my food and as soon as it reached my table it was cold! My pasta tasted as if it was sitting under a non working lamp for a good 10 minutes. I was very disappointed because I had high hopes for the restaurant. Luckily my dates food was cooked to perfection. That's all that matters except I would've like a warmer or sizzling meal. This place in my eyes had plenty of potential.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful night outKATandKENDined on 10/18/2014We had a wonderful night out. The food as well as the drinks were outstanding. The staff was amazing . The perfect spot for a special night outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Patio plays the part of CupidRGVaggieDined on 8/20/2014The Patio on Guerra helped me plan an amazing, romantic night and atmosphere perfect for my night to propose! I made a reservation and hours before received a call to confirm and was asked what I wanted help with. I requested a private area of the restaurant for a little more privacy and received a perfect spot. Then, I hadn't even thought of this but I was asked if I wanted the table adorned with rose petals and maybe a rose in the center with a candle to make it more beautiful and romantic. Yes, please! I was thinking of maybe taking some flowers myself but didn't know how to hide these but this was absolutely perfect. The musician, Brooks, also did a beautiful job serenading us with romantic acoustical music right by our table. Loved it!Special Features:
- Slow ServiceRainydaysDined on 8/8/2014The drinks and food were great, and the ambiance on the patio where we sat was very romantic. However, it was hard to hear conversation over the live band, and the service was very slow. Our waiter disappeared for over half an hour, and I had to ask the bartender twice to find him so we could get the bill. Overall, though, I would recommend this to anyone looking for a nice dinner atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 18 reviews are from the The Patio on Guerra reviews archive.
- McAllen's Very Best!CapitalvisitorDined on 7/21/2014The Patio on Guerra of McAllen, Texas made available the Private Back Room for our party of 20. The room is very well appointed, and the service was Excellent! We had a very sophisticated group, who all commented how well everything went. I can only state that this 'event' will be done annually because of the interest and service provided by the Staff of The Patio on Guerra.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening SpotTrvlgManDined on 7/18/2014Excellent choice with nice decor, food selections, and even live music. Just a bit noisy and service missed ob my latest visit with my four guestsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs grass fed beef knowledge.ItisjustmeDined on 7/15/2014I would have rated the restaurant 5 star if they had grass fed beef. When the waiter was asked if the beef was grass fed, he nor the chef had any idea which led me to believe it was not. The are several restaurants in town that understand how important grass fed is, but I would rather eat at The Patio for everything else. Please look into the health benefits and start carrying it, and I will have no other reason to go anywhere else in McAllen.Special Features:
- Energetic & Great FoodPicketfences101VIPDined on 6/28/2014Great Food from the appetizers to the desserts. Truly exceptional for what's around. It was loud, due to a few large parties, but it's an energetic place. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Excellent all around!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Dined with my husband... Memorable, romantic and Worth the price...quality service at its finest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinner5yrCelebrationDined on 6/20/2014It was a spectacular evening. They had our table prepared with a "Happy Anniversary" sign with heart shaped glitter on our table. Service was phenomenal! Amazing food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dessert and DrinksTruthonGuerraDined on 6/18/2014The Patio on Guerra is attempting an upscale dining experience and is on track but needs tweaking. Our party well satisfied with the main items each of us ordered. The charge for an apple martini and a manhattan @ $11.09 each (what's the 9 cents?) is a real rip off. A virgin mary was $6.00, basically tomato juice. Although I will return for a meal, no drinks, nor dessert. The desserts were not up to par. The apple dumpling had a whole uncooked apple in the bottom of the dish, occupying most of the space. Difficult to cut up or eat. The dough a bit mealy. Taste was pleasant. The Perfect Fudge cakelacked presentation and taste appeal. Not enough characters allowed. Overall, a pleasant but costly evening, with ups and downs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a special night!Momof2Dined on 5/9/2014We planned a very special night for two special people. It was absolutely perfect from the waiter to the food. No flaws!Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in McAllensulmxVIPDined on 5/8/2014Great food... Great ambiance... Superb service... Definitely the best Restaurant in McAllen. My favs: guerra tapas, crab cakes, New York strip, patio potatoes and for dessert the apple dumpling!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedIsmaelGDined on 5/3/2014I came to The Patio with the expectations of great ambience, friendly service, and delicious food. The decor and music were perfectly fitting for an evening with my wife. We were seated and started to look through the menu, finished, and kept waiting for someone to see what we'd like to drink. We saw tables that arrived after us get their drinks before we were even asked. Finally, we were able to place out order and the food was out promptly. Unfortunately, my plate had to be sent back, as my cut of meat was overcooked. It was brought back, undercooked this time. Not worth the price, in my opinion, but it's a nice place aesthetically. I paid my ticket and promptly left without saying a word. I won't be recommending The Patio.Special Features:
- Excellent!!njd1VIPDined on 4/25/2014My husband and I took my mom out to dinner when we were in town and all of us absolutely loved this place! Food was delicious, service excellent, the piano singer was fantastic- can't say enough good things!! Plan to go back whenever we are in McAllen :)Special Features:
- wonderful experiencepiruliDined on 4/17/2014We went as a last minute choice and for sure will come back again. Guerra Tapas are heavenly!!!Special Features:
- Everything was prepared perfectly.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014Everything was prepared perfectly. This is our second time that we have eaten here on our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemJKMISSISSIPPIDined on 3/18/2014While the menu appears to be simple the flavors go to remarkable depth. Our table favorite for appetizer was the Texas Butter, a inspired guacamole. Top notch Lent entrées made for a very notable evening. Glad this establishment showed up on Open Table or it may have gone unknown to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun timeMackDined on 3/5/2014Everything was spot on. Food was amazing. They comped wife's plate because it wasn't perfect. Wait staff gave great service and attention. Live music was soothing where you could still have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a gem!SuzseeDined on 2/19/2014This restaurant not only is simply beautiful, the service and food is impeccable. If I lived locally, I would visit often!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Placefood4meDined on 2/13/2014One of the top places in the RGV to go. Whether it is a night out with your special someone or a group event, this is the place to go. We normally go here for business dinners and the folks here always shine. You cannot go wrong at The Patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent eveningthedeerslayerswifeDined on 1/30/2014The atmosphere was beautiful. The original structure was beautifully preserved in the restoration of this historic downtown building. We came for the quail. It didn't disappoint. Flavorful, tender, and juicy. Nice presentation. Chef Vladimir came out to talk to us. He was great. Service was excellent. Waiter was perfectly attentive. There was music that was subtle and not overpowering, lovely. Excellent evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.