The Patio on Goldfinch
4020 Goldfinch St.
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Patio on Goldfinch
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thepatiosd.com/
- Phone: 6195015090x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pml; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 8:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: John Medall
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Patio on Goldfinch
Relax. Enjoy. Share.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Patio on Goldfinch - Best Restaurants in Mission Hills ›
The Patio on Goldfinch reviews from OpenTable diners
221 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (176)great for outdoor dining (153)fit for foodies (117)hot spot (100)great for lunch (91)great for brunch (79)vibrant bar scene (75)good for groups (56)special occasion (53)notable wine list (39)romantic (34)late-night find (33)kid-friendly (21)scenic view (6)Show More
- Good food, mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014waited 30 mins after our reservation time to get seated. Noticed this occurred for other diners with reservations as well. Poorly planned. Noticed food took a while to get out, but someone the staff knew came in with two other people, and that table received their starter quicker than other diners. Servers complaining about customers at the hostess station with the hostess. Unprofessional. Food was good, and really liked the fact that diners can bring their dog. Would give this place another chance because of dog friendliness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch at the PatioCharboDined on 9/13/2014Lunch on a very hot & humid day! The restaurant did have a fly problem, they should have moved us to a different table as we were fanning our food the entire time. Our server was less than interested in us. I would go back to and try again. Sandwiches were good, salads were small but tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for pets, outdoor ambianceSFinSDVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had brunch here on Saturday and enjoyed the food and the ambiance. The design is awesome, with a large outdoor seating area, lots of plants and cool architectural features. They have a cool cocktail list and basic brunch items. The food was good, we had the chilaquiles and Patio breakfast, so didn't get too crazy. Tried the muffin, was pretty good. Best thing is they are super dog friendly, have dog treats and very friendly staff.Special Features:
- Not as good at PBiheartpasta1VIPDined on 9/12/2014I'm a big fan of The Patio in PB. Love to sit outside and eat. I was looking forward to the new location and set up a business lunch there. I was so embarrassed. The place was filled with FLIES ... I mean all we did was swat away the flies from our food and faces. It was horrible. I also need to mention the prices. When I see a section of a menu titled SALADS ... and the cost is $11, I'm thinking that it is a meal and not a side salad. I ordered the Hearts of Palm Salad ... so small that it couldn't even classify as a side salad. I just really hate it when restaurants take advantage of you with a salad - seriously it is lettuce! It really made me sad because it was YUMMY and I would never have it again. I hope these things get sorted out.Special Features:
- LOVE the new patio!RobinVIPDined on 9/11/2014I've always liked the Patio at Lamont, but this new restaurant from the same owners, is just a LITTLE bit better in almost every aspect. I like the room a little more, the food, the open kitchen ... even the hanging garden is a little cooler! And a cheese cave ... are you kidding me? That has to be one of the first in San Diego!Special Features:
- Dog-Friendly and deliciousSanDiegoDined on 9/11/2014I made a reservation and called afterwards to make sure we were seated in the dog-friendly area, which the restaurant made sure of. The fig bruchetta, vegan salad, and twisted Elvis dessert were all delicious in a cool indoor/outdoor environment.Special Features:
- First timer was WOWEDCitizenKurtDined on 9/10/2014It was my first time visiting The Patio. It was truly amazing! I can't wait to go back for more.....and go back often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much improved since its openingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014Food is very good and the service has vastly improved since it first opened. Great spot for outdoor dining in Mission Hills. The only downside was the flies, but then again it is outdoor dining.Special Features:
- Perfect in almost every wayGlobalTravelerVIPDined on 9/8/2014Great neighborhood find that has a super-hip vibe, while also feeling totally casual and comfortable...like your favorite sweater that also happens to hide a designer label. My go to place now for intimate gatherings and business lunches / dinners.Special Features:
- Sad service, food keeps me coming!BabbsDined on 9/7/2014I have dined at the Patio at least 10 times as it is about 3 blocks from my house. The bartenders are amazing, the kitchen staff must be superb because the food is consistently incredible. The service is decent 1 out of 5 times. Unfortunately most people I talk to have the same thing to say. I keep going back because it is beautiful and the food the food the food! At some point I am sure I will stop unless something happens to help the servers represent this amazing place in a better way. 3 times I have either ordered a bottle of wine or champagne and had to ask for a cooler, food forgotten & server blames it on someone else (teamwork anyone?), server doesn't know the menu, the list goes on. 10 times I have had amazing food!Special Features:
- The PatioLainersDined on 9/5/2014This new Patio location is in a quaint, vibrant neighborhood. The restaurant decor with the Living Wall, skylights & front patio gives the entire restaurant space an outdoor feel. Happy Hour drink prices are reasonable, & the Bites are enough for a meal. The bruchetta & hummus are fabulous, & bLove the whole fish entree for 2 as well as the cioppino & chopped salad. Working my way down the menu! Every bit as good as the PB location.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/1/2014Nice outdoor concept. Food was ok, drinks were good, service was decent.Special Features:
- Girls BrunchElizabethVIPDined on 9/1/2014Glad I made a reservation, since it was apparently a popular place for brunch that morning. Didn't like the tables so close together, and as a party of 2, we were sat in the middle of the room. Service was slow and a little discontinuous, but the food was delish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love!jrsandiegoVIPDined on 9/1/2014Love this place! Great food, great service! Keep it going!Special Features:
- You will love itMeMoDined on 8/31/2014I wanted to move in! Walls covered in plants, great patio, great food and killer bloody marys. You will love the vibe!Special Features:
- Dog friendly brunchSunnyJaneVIPDined on 8/31/2014Hard not to love a dog friendly brunch that opens as early at 8 am. I just visited this past Sunday. I was a bit disappointed in the value - wish I got more for $50 for two. Side order of bacon tasted like the cheap stuff I could have gotten at grocery store. I think the Patio on Lamont has much better quality of bacon. French toast was yummy, but a 1 1/2 teaspoon worth of berry compote? Not genuine maple syrup? I think they should try harder.Special Features:
- Best meal ever.JenniferDined on 8/30/2014Our dinner here was one of the best we've ever had. Excellent recommendations from the server made for an unforgettable meal. I had been here once before for happy hour but was really blown away this time by the food. It's really one of the best restaurants in town.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014This is the second time I had been to The Patio... it did not disappoint. It's a bit on the pricy scale but was so delicious with great decor (the chairs were super comfortable).Special Features:
- FUN FINDlindafoodieDined on 8/30/2014This was my first time dining at The Patio and it was very enjoyable. Good waiters, good service and excellent brunch menu The noise level was high on the morning we were there, but it was a fun atmosphere Parking is an issue, but I was grateful to see they had valet parking The food was delicious and we would definitely go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Anniversary DinnerGillianDined on 8/29/2014We came here for our anniversary dinner and had a wonderful evening. The staff was excellent... friendly, informative, never let my water glass get empty. The food was devine! We will definitely be back since we filled ourselves up on wonderful small plates before ever getting to dessert. We also hear their brunch is fabulous and really want to check it out. It's defintely a nice new hot spot in Mission Hills!Special Features:
- Up and runningBayAreaBitesDined on 8/28/2014Came for a small dinner. The wall of epiphytes was a great touch to dine under. Bit noisier in side. Small plate Rib Eye was perfect in preparation and seasoning. Nice selection of tequilas for those interested....Special Features:
- Really love this place!KMBBVIPDined on 8/27/2014Just had a nother meal at Goldfinch location and seems the recipes are changing and getting even better. Had crab clawas and they had better seasoning and the octopus had more spices as well. Wasnt a fan of the cheese board we had but that is just a preference thing. They got rid of my two favorite Buffala cheeses and kept the one I dont like. Service still a tiny bit slow. Would think they would be trying to turn tables more quickly. Other than that, meal was outstanding.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemOmniguyDined on 8/25/2014Overall the food and atmosphere make this place work. Been here several times for lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch. Love the atmosphere and the service is getting better as time goes. Opening on Fathers Day weekend the staff was shall I say confused, but that has cleared up fairly well. The only slight negative is that if we didn't have to swat away the flies that would be awesome. Might be a summer thing or the fact that there are dumpsters to the left of the entrance. We are glad not to see an unfinished gray block building every time we drive by. The plant walls are very cool as is the rest of the place. You can talk when the place is fully packed and hear your friends talking back at you. No flies 5 stars.Special Features:
- Great Fun!PLTravelsDined on 8/24/2014Excellent food and service, a bit noisy at first. This was our first visit and we would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is terriblejamroxsDined on 8/24/2014The Patio needs a new chef or a complete menu revision. The good is flavorless and boring.
- Food only so-soSdtigsVIPDined on 8/23/2014This is a lively spot that we had enjoyed for brunch, and wanted to return to check out dinner for my husband's birthday. The ambience is great and the service was also first-rate, but I regret to say that the food did not really match up. Perhaps we would have done better with the main dishes or even one of the sharing options, rather than opting for the small plates. We'll definitely be back for lunch or brunch, but not sure about dinner. However, I must say that our experience was not helped by the party at the next table, who were drinking quite a lot and were speaking loud enough to be heard from several blocks away.Special Features:
- The Patio on GoldfinchRik1Dined on 8/22/2014The online reservation system worked great. We were seated exactly on time even though the restaurant was extremely busy.Special Features:
- Love this place!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Trying the Sassy Sangrita is a must! Amazing tequila menu. Reservations are a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingakamamoDined on 8/21/2014I went with a friend on a Thursday night around 8:30. The restaurant is "very cool!" The bartender was great, our food server was unfriendly, my entree, the stuffed fish, smelled fishy and was very salty. They did exchange it and the steak was just ok. Wines are pricey. Would not go back
- It's OKFBreviewDined on 8/20/2014Their iced tea was too strong and there were too many flies.
- a favorite spot anytime.....charVIPDined on 8/20/2014a new addition to the Mission Hills neighborhood, The Patio is a real gem. We love it anytime for any occasion. great food, a varied menu, lovely ambience and friendly staff.....Special Features:
- Great lunch dealMKC53Dined on 8/19/2014Food is delicious - and the local lunch is a real bargain. Sandwich, salad and dessert for $15- Try the fresh fish sandwich - melts in your mouthSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somes Great Restaurants Can MissFoodie411Dined on 8/13/2014I have frequented The Patio a handful of times now. I will say that my dining experiences have been memorable and not a disappointment until now. It may have just been a bad night for them. Their stuffed fish was quite salty & over-seasoned; the couscous was cold and not appetizing (we left it); the fig bruschetta this time was just bland; and finally the BBQ Chicken Flatbread, which was a first time we ordered it, missed the mark completely. The chicken tasted like it had been boiled, strained and then dropped on the flatbread with bbq sauce. Again, I really enjoy The Patio, but WOW, the entire meal was a complete miss, except for the the carrot cake, that was pretty awesome. And for the price paid that night, just a disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $30 Buck ChuckOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/13/2014Wow, this burger is worth the $30, it is outstanding, Kobe Beef, Prime rib, 2 cheeses and Iberico Ham. I eat burgers everywhere I go and this is not only enormous and great reheated the second night, but so moist and flavorful!Special Features:
- Great New Neighborhood SpotSDdiner73VIPDined on 8/12/2014Love Mission Hills already and this addition makes it even better! We had a nice dinner w/friends, good food and service. Decor was great, as was the wine and beer list.Special Features:
- carmendarleneDined on 8/12/2014Went to The Patio on a Tuesday night and was very surprised with how busy it was. Food was excellent, bartenders were on point and very good. Servers...I think they are still getting it dialed in. They were all friendly and kind, but there were a few mix ups about who was attending our table. The roasted cauliflower was incredible, as were the tuna tacos. I'll be back, for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hit!Happy2commentVIPDined on 8/12/2014I've been to the original Patio on Lamont many times and mostly enjoy it...the space is much smaller and I think a tiny kitchen causes a lot of problems. Their new Goldfinch restaurant has a much larger patio. Great space, the salted beets (great share dish) and baked spaghetti squash were both great. Very dog friendly and with more room, it's a lot nicer. Service was much better than I've at at Lamont.Special Features:
- 2nd trip as lovely as the 1st!emlakeDined on 8/10/2014Once again our experience at this new boite was terrific. Our server, Stefon (sp) was knowledgeable, gracious & attentive. The food was abundant & extremely tasty. The drinks were a new experience as well. My husband is very impressed with their iced coffee as, apparently, not many SD restaurants know how to make them correctly.Special Features:
- Good food. Bad service.AngieDined on 8/10/2014We were excited to try out this newer restaurant in the Mission District for lunch after it being recommended by a friend. The food was good and the options were good; however, the service was awful. Our server was not friendly and the responses to questions we had were very vague. Bottom line, if you want good recommendations from the menu, don't ask a server: ask someone who has already eaten there. At least your friends will answer your questions!! Side note: very crowded eating area. Servers had a hard time walking through tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful From Start to FinishmmebearDined on 8/7/2014Our evening started out with a lost reservation & just got worse. They quickly found us a table but we then waited about 10 minutes for our waiter to take our drink order. Which he screwed up (FYI they do NOT have Tanquerey & he subbed without asking). After almost AN HOUR & having not seen our waiter again, we finally complained to the manager...who took (and screwed up as well) our order. Overall just a disappointing evening...drinks were bad, sevice was beyond bad & food was bland & tasteless.