The Patio on Goldfinch
4020 Goldfinch St.
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Patio on Goldfinch
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thepatiosd.com/
- Phone: 6195015090x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pml; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 8:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: John Medall
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Patio on Goldfinch
Relax. Enjoy. Share.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Patio on Goldfinch - Best Restaurants in Mission Hills ›
The Patio on Goldfinch reviews from OpenTable diners
287 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (232)great for outdoor dining (200)fit for foodies (163)hot spot (133)great for lunch (116)great for brunch (98)vibrant bar scene (86)good for groups (77)special occasion (70)notable wine list (52)romantic (50)late-night find (32)kid-friendly (23)scenic view (7)Show More
- Wonderful atmosphere and foodDelMarBillDined on 10/21/2014First time at this restaurant. So glad we discovered it. The menu had a nice variety of choices and food was extremely tasty. A little slow coming out of the kitchen, but well worth the wait. We were there on a Monday evening and the place was full the entire time we were there. Our table of 4 ordered a selection of salads, soup, seafood pasta, risotto, and flatbreads. All the food was very well prepared, we were all quite satisfied. They served an interesting apple cinnamon infused vodka. It was good. I would have it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local spot!SDdiner73VIPDined on 10/20/2014Have now had breakfast lunch and dinner here and all three were good. Service is great, reservations are easy, decor is fantastic and food is good. Would like more veg friendly options, but anything can be modified.Special Features:
- Betsy is awesomecjm1VIPDined on 10/20/2014I am a "local" and have had Betsy as my server more than once; I think she is an amazing young woman--love her attention to detail and to our every need. THANK you Betsy!Special Features:
- Good food - good servicePDQ619VIPDined on 10/20/2014Good food - interesting choices on the menu, good service, great ambiance and setting.Special Features:
- Great local eateryBigRVIPDined on 10/19/2014The Patio has great atmosphere - modern, but not as severe as many modern places are - light and airy. Love the plant wall in the back. Really competent and likable staff, from hostess to servers, and an interesting and appealing menu. The restaurant has become a favorite! Be sure to reserve if you can, there is often a wait otherwise. All in all, love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pet Friendly!JeffVIPDined on 10/19/2014Amazing place for pets. They even cook their own dog biscuits. Five woofs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerSanDiegoServerVIPDined on 10/17/2014The Patio on Goldfinch is definitely a place to visit!! First off, I had requested a nice table which the host pleasantly surprised us with a wonderful 4 person table by the fireplace. Our appetizers came in a timely fashion. Our server Stephen also suggested some great cocktails to start our night that arrived just in time for the first course. Again, just as we moved into our main course, water arrived and our main course drinks, perfect timing!! Our Filet was cooked to med. rare perfection, veggies and mashed potatoes were delicate and seasoned just right. I love the atmosphere and just the beauty of the restaurant itself is breathtaking! Both Locations PB and Goldfinch are lovely. Thanks again for a great experience. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations a must for hereMissDewDined on 10/17/2014I had a business meeting on a Friday here 30 mins after it opened and it was packed! He is a vegan and chose a salad that he said was delicious. Dressing was light and did not overpower. I had the squash (smaller plate) which I wish I had the recipe for because I would make it everyday! Iced tea is delicious and they are good about re-filling it. Sun in our eyes was a temporary issue but the wait staff was great about angling the umbrellas to block it out.Special Features:
- Great!LizNDined on 10/16/2014One of my favorite local gems. The atmosphere is wonderful and yd food is terrific.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemsucculant14morselsDined on 10/16/2014Started off with viewing menu on website- interesting format, instead of traditional printed menu had complete gallery of image of each dish. When clicked on each image, the name of the dish came up. We were seated in an outside corner in front of restaurant that allowed a panoramic view of the entire place. Atmosphere was comfortable and energetic, like a backyard dinner party. Chris, the General Manger introduced himself and gave us quick history of the conception of the new eatery. Service was efficient and pleasant. Just ordered a few mouth treats: French onion soup was amazing, along with the Beef & Blue. Look forward to next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TweetypDined on 10/16/2014Limited menu. Very noisy. Food is good but pricey.great for happy hour. Outdoor area the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- angelq33Dined on 10/15/2014This place is amazing! The entire restaurant is nice but the back has the amazing living wall and the chairs are so comfortable, perfect for lounging. I visited for the first time on Monday and like the food, service and ambience so much that I brought 3 co-workers on Wednesday. All of the wait staff were so friendly and attentive and every single food item I tried was delicious! I also love the house ketchup and hot sauce. This is definitely a place that I'll recommend for any type of occassion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent neighborhood restaurant!SharDined on 10/11/2014The food and service are really good! Love the ambience too!Special Features:
- gsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014great menu w/ lots of variety - shared 3 different dishes with friends and they were all very good. super friendly and knowledgeable staff. will definitely go there again and recommend it to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mission Hills hotspotPatioDined on 10/10/2014We recently had dinner at the patio for the first time. The restaurant was very busy and there was little elbow room. Our food was delicious, but our service was very slow. We had a nineteen month old infant with us, and asked that food be brought out as soon as possible. Our main entries took forever, and we had to keep tracking down our waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceWolfgangTravelsVIPDined on 10/9/2014Great restaurant with great decor. Always enjoy going to a restaurant where I can see the kitchen and the chefs at work. DELICIOUS food. We ended up ordering 6 appetizers (for party of two). Service was ok. I would go back, just for the food.Special Features:
- Patio on GoldfinchmichebillDined on 10/8/2014We love this place. Have introduced many of our friends to it and some of our East Coast visitors are anxious to try it next time they visit. It is definitely a wonderful place to dine.Special Features:
- Three little old ladiesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014We three little old ladies enjoyed your restaurant very much. We were concerned that it just might be too noisy, too hip, too modern for the three of us to enjoy a birthday lunch there. We enjoyed it thoroughly as did the table next to us of obviously young professional people. So your style and food seems to fit all ages and types. We'll be back again. I'm sure. I loved your "reservations on line"... It was so easy for digitally challenged older adults.Special Features:
- Wonderful Patio!GailCVIPDined on 10/6/2014We had to be at the airport early and then had time for a breakfast/brunch-- Patio on Goldfinch was a delightful find!! The patio is gorgeous--filled with plants and shaded as needed. The service was perfect--attentive, helpful, and friendly enough. The coffee was delicious! We had fresh orange juice--perfect! The Vegetable Frittata was fresh, tasty, and more than ample-- The Bourbon Dutch Pancake was fabulous and will be ordered again--light with a yummy crust and lots of fruit and yummy toppings! We also enjoyed a perfect brownie with ice cream--wonderfully decadent! Many thanks!Special Features:
- Food was good - service okOmniguyDined on 10/5/2014We have been here many times now. It's our new neighborhood gem. We took some friends for Sunday brunch. The service was a bit slow this time. Didn't see our regular waiter Ari this time. The guy who waited on us took a very long time to get our drinks to us. Didn't get his name. One of our guests ordered a mojito. Unfortunately it was not made to his liking. He's very particular and a lot goes into making a perfect mojito. The food was alright this time, but not superb like our past experiences. I had the open faced fish sandwich (cod) which is usually very good, but I think this time it may of been over cooked. The other meals were pretty good. We will likely come back hoping for a slightly better experience.Special Features:
- VictorVIPDined on 10/3/2014There were too many FLIES in the restaurant which made eating a real problem!Special Features:
- Amaaaaazing food! One of my top 5!DeboiraDined on 10/2/2014The Patio is one of my top 5 restaurants at the moment. Food is consistantly delicious. Although every dish we have ever ordered is truly delicious, the octopus and risotto dishes are to die for! Service is always great and the restaurant itself is chic and hip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but Can be Pricey.RyewhiskeyDined on 10/2/2014We have now visited there on 3 different occasions. It's surely a great addition to Mission Hills. Service has been hit & miss. Mixed drinks are not the greatest with need for improvement. And the prices really add up for how little you get. This last visit for lunch. 2 appetizers & 4 glasses of wine =$100.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect NightOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014Wonderful night!! We dined here for an anniversary and had a wonderful night. Our waiter, Ryan, was great, guiding us on cocktails and dinner suggestions. Everything we ordered was spectacular. The octopus and the fig bruschetta were standouts. Great ambiance and great food. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great small plates menuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014The Patio has a broad array of small plates to choose from and share. What is even better is the small plates are not small at all-- they are healthy portions and done with quality ingredients. The wild mushroom risotto was rich but well balance with cheese, mushrooms and truffle oil. I also give the ahi, crab stack an A+. The atmosphere is hip and edgy and is great for a casual night out, watching the game or date night. Beware it is very busy so be sure to make reservations well in advance and be prepared to talk over the crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite!LuvpradoDined on 9/25/2014Love this place and very proud it is in our neighborhood! I do wish that something could be done about the crazy flies (not the Patio's fault, just the heat...any solutions?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gem!KateVIPDined on 9/25/2014Great local neighborhood find. Creative food, great atmosphere, good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekSplinterVIPDined on 9/24/2014First time dining here, for Restaurant Week. Took 20 minutes after my reservation to be seated as I did not want to sit inside on the high bar stools. Service was OK, but nothing special. Crab & crawfish cakes, filet, and key lime cheesecake. Both the fish cakes and filet were very salty; otherwise good flavor. Key Lime cheesecake was actually a pudding with a graham cracker "cookie" on the side, but was pretty good. As usual, parking in the area is difficult to say the least...finally found a spot 4 blocks away.Special Features:
- 2YtravelDined on 9/24/2014We had a great dinner experience...and will return. Everything was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad I Tried The PatioBernie92103Dined on 9/22/2014I had lunch at the patio during restaurant week of San Diego. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The food was very good. The luncheon for restaurant week was a great value. I was able to take a look at the regular menus and will certainly be back to dine at The Patio. I had every intention of having the fish especial however the Kobe burger caught my attention.the server indicated that I couldn't go wrong with either choice. I have to tell you the Kobe burger was one of the best but I've ever had dining out. the small plate, cheese, and wine list all look pretty extensive. I will need to go back to try those items as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New SpotMSpearsDined on 9/21/2014My wife and I came here for our anniversary dinner. The service was great. We ended us just sharing a lot of plates. The braised octopus was definitely our favorite.Special Features:
- Great new spotFoodie92102Dined on 9/21/2014Food and ambiance were amazing. Our server was very unfriendly Brandie I think was her name. I started a friendly conversation about Restaurant Week and she had the wrong start date and was very unpleasant overall. She also failed to bring sweetner for tea after we requested it however the busser brought that to us within seconds after asking him. Overall, we had a good time wish the server about her clients more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE ITOksanaOzDined on 9/21/2014The space itself is done beautifully. They have 2 outdoor areas. Brunch was absolutely delicious. If you are ever there for brunch, stay away from boring mimosas and opt in for a French Kiss :-) And make sure to at least try their Gran Marnier French ToastSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWJakeVIPDined on 9/20/2014Wonderful menu. Choices you don't see elsewhere. Excellent service. Recommend reservations.Special Features:
- Dinner was great!OmniguyDined on 9/20/2014Ari our waiter made us feel special. Took care of all our needs. Food was gourmet and was very tasty. We had the fish of the day, octopus (yum), osso bucco, hummus plate, abalone (yum). One of our favorite places in our neighborhood.Special Features:
- firstname.lastname@example.orgEgoddessDined on 9/19/2014I've been to The Patio four times and have enjoyed all of the experiences. The food is consistently good and the waiters are fun and attentive. My only challenge has been the issue with the flies...when I came and ate at the bar one time, the flies were so bad that we couldn't even eat without having to shoo them away the whole time...it made that experience annoying... Other than that, gotta love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!rioballardDined on 9/19/2014I read some of the earlier reviews for this restaurant, and the general impression was that the service was spotty, to say the least. When I went for lunch last Friday, I expected to be unhappy with the service too, but to my great surprise, it was super. Our server was friendly, attentive, funny, knew the menu and made great recommendations. I ordered a salad, expecting it to be a small serving, but it was more than I could finish. So yummy! We sat in the front patio, which is not as fabulous as the rear patio, but still very nice. My only complaint is with the flies. They are to be expected when dining outside, but the constant hand waving can get annoying. Other than that... a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- lunch with my daughterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014El Patio is a beautiful restaurant, really amazing.... but: it is very noisy and we had flies, lots of them. We ordered their Hummus Trio... sorry, Fresh and Easy sells better Hummus Grilled Cheese Sandwich was ok and the Fish Sandwich was good quality, good portion, but no flavor at all, we had to ask for salt French Fries were terrible Wine: expensive Waitress: kind, smiling Parking: difficultSpecial Features:
- Interesting and Flavorfulluv2dineVIPDined on 9/18/2014I started with the beet bruschetta and loved every bite…a nice and interesting change from the typical tomato-based bruschetta. I had the Patio BLT for my meal but substituted the T (tomato) for an A (avocado). They were happy to accommodate my request. The server also suggested changing bread from the grilled ciabatta to sourdough because I expressed that I liked my bread only lightly grilled and soft. That was a great suggestion. The sandwich had a generous portion of applewood smoked bacon and avocado that wasn't overpowered by too much lettuce. All tasted fresh…delish! I loved the food, the atmosphere and the service. I sure hope to go back some time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great brunch spot!emlakeDined on 9/14/2014We really enjoy our outings at The Patio. The food, the ambiance, the service is always consistent & top notch.Special Features: