The Patio on Goldfinch
4020 Goldfinch St.
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Patio on Goldfinch
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thepatiosd.com/
- Phone: (619) 501-5090
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pml; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 8:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: John Medall
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Patio on Goldfinch
Relax. Enjoy. Share.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Patio on Goldfinch - Best Restaurants in Mission Hills ›
The Patio on Goldfinch reviews from OpenTable diners
275 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (221)great for outdoor dining (173)fit for foodies (162)hot spot (121)great for lunch (97)great for brunch (81)good for groups (80)vibrant bar scene (69)special occasion (62)notable wine list (45)romantic (43)late-night find (28)kid-friendly (15)scenic view (5)Show More
- Food was good - service okOmniguyDined on 10/5/2014We have been here many times now. It's our new neighborhood gem. We took some friends for Sunday brunch. The service was a bit slow this time. Didn't see our regular waiter Ari this time. The guy who waited on us took a very long time to get our drinks to us. Didn't get his name. One of our guests ordered a mojito. Unfortunately it was not made to his liking. He's very particular and a lot goes into making a perfect mojito. The food was alright this time, but not superb like our past experiences. I had the open faced fish sandwich (cod) which is usually very good, but I think this time it may of been over cooked. The other meals were pretty good. We will likely come back hoping for a slightly better experience.Special Features:
- VictorVIPDined on 10/3/2014There were too many FLIES in the restaurant which made eating a real problem!Special Features:
- Amaaaaazing food! One of my top 5!DeboiraDined on 10/2/2014The Patio is one of my top 5 restaurants at the moment. Food is consistantly delicious. Although every dish we have ever ordered is truly delicious, the octopus and risotto dishes are to die for! Service is always great and the restaurant itself is chic and hip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but Can be Pricey.RyewhiskeyDined on 10/2/2014We have now visited there on 3 different occasions. It's surely a great addition to Mission Hills. Service has been hit & miss. Mixed drinks are not the greatest with need for improvement. And the prices really add up for how little you get. This last visit for lunch. 2 appetizers & 4 glasses of wine =$100.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect NightOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014Wonderful night!! We dined here for an anniversary and had a wonderful night. Our waiter, Ryan, was great, guiding us on cocktails and dinner suggestions. Everything we ordered was spectacular. The octopus and the fig bruschetta were standouts. Great ambiance and great food. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great small plates menuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014The Patio has a broad array of small plates to choose from and share. What is even better is the small plates are not small at all-- they are healthy portions and done with quality ingredients. The wild mushroom risotto was rich but well balance with cheese, mushrooms and truffle oil. I also give the ahi, crab stack an A+. The atmosphere is hip and edgy and is great for a casual night out, watching the game or date night. Beware it is very busy so be sure to make reservations well in advance and be prepared to talk over the crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite!LuvpradoDined on 9/25/2014Love this place and very proud it is in our neighborhood! I do wish that something could be done about the crazy flies (not the Patio's fault, just the heat...any solutions?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gem!KateVIPDined on 9/25/2014Great local neighborhood find. Creative food, great atmosphere, good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekSplinterVIPDined on 9/24/2014First time dining here, for Restaurant Week. Took 20 minutes after my reservation to be seated as I did not want to sit inside on the high bar stools. Service was OK, but nothing special. Crab & crawfish cakes, filet, and key lime cheesecake. Both the fish cakes and filet were very salty; otherwise good flavor. Key Lime cheesecake was actually a pudding with a graham cracker "cookie" on the side, but was pretty good. As usual, parking in the area is difficult to say the least...finally found a spot 4 blocks away.Special Features:
- 2YtravelDined on 9/24/2014We had a great dinner experience...and will return. Everything was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad I Tried The PatioBernie92103Dined on 9/22/2014I had lunch at the patio during restaurant week of San Diego. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The food was very good. The luncheon for restaurant week was a great value. I was able to take a look at the regular menus and will certainly be back to dine at The Patio. I had every intention of having the fish especial however the Kobe burger caught my attention.the server indicated that I couldn't go wrong with either choice. I have to tell you the Kobe burger was one of the best but I've ever had dining out. the small plate, cheese, and wine list all look pretty extensive. I will need to go back to try those items as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New SpotMSpearsDined on 9/21/2014My wife and I came here for our anniversary dinner. The service was great. We ended us just sharing a lot of plates. The braised octopus was definitely our favorite.Special Features:
- Great new spotFoodie92102Dined on 9/21/2014Food and ambiance were amazing. Our server was very unfriendly Brandie I think was her name. I started a friendly conversation about Restaurant Week and she had the wrong start date and was very unpleasant overall. She also failed to bring sweetner for tea after we requested it however the busser brought that to us within seconds after asking him. Overall, we had a good time wish the server about her clients more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE ITOksanaOzDined on 9/21/2014The space itself is done beautifully. They have 2 outdoor areas. Brunch was absolutely delicious. If you are ever there for brunch, stay away from boring mimosas and opt in for a French Kiss :-) And make sure to at least try their Gran Marnier French ToastSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWJakeVIPDined on 9/20/2014Wonderful menu. Choices you don't see elsewhere. Excellent service. Recommend reservations.Special Features:
- Dinner was great!OmniguyDined on 9/20/2014Ari our waiter made us feel special. Took care of all our needs. Food was gourmet and was very tasty. We had the fish of the day, octopus (yum), osso bucco, hummus plate, abalone (yum). One of our favorite places in our neighborhood.Special Features:
- firstname.lastname@example.orgEgoddessDined on 9/19/2014I've been to The Patio four times and have enjoyed all of the experiences. The food is consistently good and the waiters are fun and attentive. My only challenge has been the issue with the flies...when I came and ate at the bar one time, the flies were so bad that we couldn't even eat without having to shoo them away the whole time...it made that experience annoying... Other than that, gotta love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!rioballardDined on 9/19/2014I read some of the earlier reviews for this restaurant, and the general impression was that the service was spotty, to say the least. When I went for lunch last Friday, I expected to be unhappy with the service too, but to my great surprise, it was super. Our server was friendly, attentive, funny, knew the menu and made great recommendations. I ordered a salad, expecting it to be a small serving, but it was more than I could finish. So yummy! We sat in the front patio, which is not as fabulous as the rear patio, but still very nice. My only complaint is with the flies. They are to be expected when dining outside, but the constant hand waving can get annoying. Other than that... a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- lunch with my daughterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014El Patio is a beautiful restaurant, really amazing.... but: it is very noisy and we had flies, lots of them. We ordered their Hummus Trio... sorry, Fresh and Easy sells better Hummus Grilled Cheese Sandwich was ok and the Fish Sandwich was good quality, good portion, but no flavor at all, we had to ask for salt French Fries were terrible Wine: expensive Waitress: kind, smiling Parking: difficultSpecial Features:
- Interesting and Flavorfulluv2dineVIPDined on 9/18/2014I started with the beet bruschetta and loved every bite…a nice and interesting change from the typical tomato-based bruschetta. I had the Patio BLT for my meal but substituted the T (tomato) for an A (avocado). They were happy to accommodate my request. The server also suggested changing bread from the grilled ciabatta to sourdough because I expressed that I liked my bread only lightly grilled and soft. That was a great suggestion. The sandwich had a generous portion of applewood smoked bacon and avocado that wasn't overpowered by too much lettuce. All tasted fresh…delish! I loved the food, the atmosphere and the service. I sure hope to go back some time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great brunch spot!emlakeDined on 9/14/2014We really enjoy our outings at The Patio. The food, the ambiance, the service is always consistent & top notch.Special Features:
- Good food, mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014waited 30 mins after our reservation time to get seated. Noticed this occurred for other diners with reservations as well. Poorly planned. Noticed food took a while to get out, but someone the staff knew came in with two other people, and that table received their starter quicker than other diners. Servers complaining about customers at the hostess station with the hostess. Unprofessional. Food was good, and really liked the fact that diners can bring their dog. Would give this place another chance because of dog friendliness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch at the PatioCharboDined on 9/13/2014Lunch on a very hot & humid day! The restaurant did have a fly problem, they should have moved us to a different table as we were fanning our food the entire time. Our server was less than interested in us. I would go back to and try again. Sandwiches were good, salads were small but tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for pets, outdoor ambianceSFinSDVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had brunch here on Saturday and enjoyed the food and the ambiance. The design is awesome, with a large outdoor seating area, lots of plants and cool architectural features. They have a cool cocktail list and basic brunch items. The food was good, we had the chilaquiles and Patio breakfast, so didn't get too crazy. Tried the muffin, was pretty good. Best thing is they are super dog friendly, have dog treats and very friendly staff.Special Features:
- Not as good at PBiheartpasta1VIPDined on 9/12/2014I'm a big fan of The Patio in PB. Love to sit outside and eat. I was looking forward to the new location and set up a business lunch there. I was so embarrassed. The place was filled with FLIES ... I mean all we did was swat away the flies from our food and faces. It was horrible. I also need to mention the prices. When I see a section of a menu titled SALADS ... and the cost is $11, I'm thinking that it is a meal and not a side salad. I ordered the Hearts of Palm Salad ... so small that it couldn't even classify as a side salad. I just really hate it when restaurants take advantage of you with a salad - seriously it is lettuce! It really made me sad because it was YUMMY and I would never have it again. I hope these things get sorted out.Special Features:
- LOVE the new patio!RobinVIPDined on 9/11/2014I've always liked the Patio at Lamont, but this new restaurant from the same owners, is just a LITTLE bit better in almost every aspect. I like the room a little more, the food, the open kitchen ... even the hanging garden is a little cooler! And a cheese cave ... are you kidding me? That has to be one of the first in San Diego!Special Features:
- Dog-Friendly and deliciousSanDiegoDined on 9/11/2014I made a reservation and called afterwards to make sure we were seated in the dog-friendly area, which the restaurant made sure of. The fig bruchetta, vegan salad, and twisted Elvis dessert were all delicious in a cool indoor/outdoor environment.Special Features:
- First timer was WOWEDCitizenKurtDined on 9/10/2014It was my first time visiting The Patio. It was truly amazing! I can't wait to go back for more.....and go back often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much improved since its openingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014Food is very good and the service has vastly improved since it first opened. Great spot for outdoor dining in Mission Hills. The only downside was the flies, but then again it is outdoor dining.Special Features:
- Perfect in almost every wayGlobalTravelerVIPDined on 9/8/2014Great neighborhood find that has a super-hip vibe, while also feeling totally casual and comfortable...like your favorite sweater that also happens to hide a designer label. My go to place now for intimate gatherings and business lunches / dinners.Special Features:
- Sad service, food keeps me coming!BabbsDined on 9/7/2014I have dined at the Patio at least 10 times as it is about 3 blocks from my house. The bartenders are amazing, the kitchen staff must be superb because the food is consistently incredible. The service is decent 1 out of 5 times. Unfortunately most people I talk to have the same thing to say. I keep going back because it is beautiful and the food the food the food! At some point I am sure I will stop unless something happens to help the servers represent this amazing place in a better way. 3 times I have either ordered a bottle of wine or champagne and had to ask for a cooler, food forgotten & server blames it on someone else (teamwork anyone?), server doesn't know the menu, the list goes on. 10 times I have had amazing food!Special Features:
- The PatioLainersDined on 9/5/2014This new Patio location is in a quaint, vibrant neighborhood. The restaurant decor with the Living Wall, skylights & front patio gives the entire restaurant space an outdoor feel. Happy Hour drink prices are reasonable, & the Bites are enough for a meal. The bruchetta & hummus are fabulous, & bLove the whole fish entree for 2 as well as the cioppino & chopped salad. Working my way down the menu! Every bit as good as the PB location.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/1/2014Nice outdoor concept. Food was ok, drinks were good, service was decent.Special Features:
- Girls BrunchElizabethVIPDined on 9/1/2014Glad I made a reservation, since it was apparently a popular place for brunch that morning. Didn't like the tables so close together, and as a party of 2, we were sat in the middle of the room. Service was slow and a little discontinuous, but the food was delish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love!jrsandiegoVIPDined on 9/1/2014Love this place! Great food, great service! Keep it going!Special Features:
- You will love itMeMoDined on 8/31/2014I wanted to move in! Walls covered in plants, great patio, great food and killer bloody marys. You will love the vibe!Special Features:
- Dog friendly brunchSunnyJaneVIPDined on 8/31/2014Hard not to love a dog friendly brunch that opens as early at 8 am. I just visited this past Sunday. I was a bit disappointed in the value - wish I got more for $50 for two. Side order of bacon tasted like the cheap stuff I could have gotten at grocery store. I think the Patio on Lamont has much better quality of bacon. French toast was yummy, but a 1 1/2 teaspoon worth of berry compote? Not genuine maple syrup? I think they should try harder.Special Features:
- Best meal ever.JenniferVIPDined on 8/30/2014Our dinner here was one of the best we've ever had. Excellent recommendations from the server made for an unforgettable meal. I had been here once before for happy hour but was really blown away this time by the food. It's really one of the best restaurants in town.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014This is the second time I had been to The Patio... it did not disappoint. It's a bit on the pricy scale but was so delicious with great decor (the chairs were super comfortable).Special Features:
- FUN FINDlindafoodieDined on 8/30/2014This was my first time dining at The Patio and it was very enjoyable. Good waiters, good service and excellent brunch menu The noise level was high on the morning we were there, but it was a fun atmosphere Parking is an issue, but I was grateful to see they had valet parking The food was delicious and we would definitely go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.