The Patio on Goldfinch
4020 Goldfinch St.
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Patio on Goldfinch
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thepatiosd.com/
- Phone: 6195015090x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pml; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 8:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: John Medall
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Patio on Goldfinch
Relax. Enjoy. Share.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Patio on Goldfinch - Best Restaurants in Mission Hills ›
The Patio on Goldfinch reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (132)great for outdoor dining (115)fit for foodies (86)great for lunch (72)hot spot (69)great for brunch (59)vibrant bar scene (59)special occasion (42)good for groups (36)notable wine list (32)late-night find (26)romantic (24)kid-friendly (16)scenic view (4)Show More
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/25/2014Overall the food and atmosphere make this place work. Been here several times for lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch. Love the atmosphere and the service is getting better as time goes. Opening on Fathers Day weekend the staff was shall I say confused, but that has cleared up fairly well. The only slight negative is that if we didn't have to swat away the flies that would be awesome. Might be a summer thing or the fact that there are dumpsters to the left of the entrance. We are glad not to see an unfinished gray block building every time we drive by. The plant walls are very cool as is the rest of the place. You can talk when the place is fully packed and hear your friends talking back at you. No flies 5 stars.Special Features:
- Great Fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Excellent food and service, a bit noisy at first. This was our first visit and we would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014The Patio needs a new chef or a complete menu revision. The good is flavorless and boring.
- Food only so-soSdtigsVIPDined on 8/23/2014This is a lively spot that we had enjoyed for brunch, and wanted to return to check out dinner for my husband's birthday. The ambience is great and the service was also first-rate, but I regret to say that the food did not really match up. Perhaps we would have done better with the main dishes or even one of the sharing options, rather than opting for the small plates. We'll definitely be back for lunch or brunch, but not sure about dinner. However, I must say that our experience was not helped by the party at the next table, who were drinking quite a lot and were speaking loud enough to be heard from several blocks away.Special Features:
- The Patio on GoldfinchRik1Dined on 8/22/2014The online reservation system worked great. We were seated exactly on time even though the restaurant was extremely busy.Special Features:
- Love this place!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Trying the Sassy Sangrita is a must! Amazing tequila menu. Reservations are a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingakamamoDined on 8/21/2014I went with a friend on a Thursday night around 8:30. The restaurant is "very cool!" The bartender was great, our food server was unfriendly, my entree, the stuffed fish, smelled fishy and was very salty. They did exchange it and the steak was just ok. Wines are pricey. Would not go back
- It's OKFBreviewDined on 8/20/2014Their iced tea was too strong and there were too many flies.
- a favorite spot anytime.....charVIPDined on 8/20/2014a new addition to the Mission Hills neighborhood, The Patio is a real gem. We love it anytime for any occasion. great food, a varied menu, lovely ambience and friendly staff.....Special Features:
- Great lunch dealMKC53Dined on 8/19/2014Food is delicious - and the local lunch is a real bargain. Sandwich, salad and dessert for $15- Try the fresh fish sandwich - melts in your mouthSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somes Great Restaurants Can MissFoodie411Dined on 8/13/2014I have frequented The Patio a handful of times now. I will say that my dining experiences have been memorable and not a disappointment until now. It may have just been a bad night for them. Their stuffed fish was quite salty & over-seasoned; the couscous was cold and not appetizing (we left it); the fig bruschetta this time was just bland; and finally the BBQ Chicken Flatbread, which was a first time we ordered it, missed the mark completely. The chicken tasted like it had been boiled, strained and then dropped on the flatbread with bbq sauce. Again, I really enjoy The Patio, but WOW, the entire meal was a complete miss, except for the the carrot cake, that was pretty awesome. And for the price paid that night, just a disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $30 Buck ChuckOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/13/2014Wow, this burger is worth the $30, it is outstanding, Kobe Beef, Prime rib, 2 cheeses and Iberico Ham. I eat burgers everywhere I go and this is not only enormous and great reheated the second night, but so moist and flavorful!Special Features:
- Great New Neighborhood SpotSDdiner73VIPDined on 8/12/2014Love Mission Hills already and this addition makes it even better! We had a nice dinner w/friends, good food and service. Decor was great, as was the wine and beer list.Special Features:
- carmendarleneDined on 8/12/2014Went to The Patio on a Tuesday night and was very surprised with how busy it was. Food was excellent, bartenders were on point and very good. Servers...I think they are still getting it dialed in. They were all friendly and kind, but there were a few mix ups about who was attending our table. The roasted cauliflower was incredible, as were the tuna tacos. I'll be back, for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hit!Happy2commentVIPDined on 8/12/2014I've been to the original Patio on Lamont many times and mostly enjoy it...the space is much smaller and I think a tiny kitchen causes a lot of problems. Their new Goldfinch restaurant has a much larger patio. Great space, the salted beets (great share dish) and baked spaghetti squash were both great. Very dog friendly and with more room, it's a lot nicer. Service was much better than I've at at Lamont.Special Features:
- 2nd trip as lovely as the 1st!emlakeDined on 8/10/2014Once again our experience at this new boite was terrific. Our server, Stefon (sp) was knowledgeable, gracious & attentive. The food was abundant & extremely tasty. The drinks were a new experience as well. My husband is very impressed with their iced coffee as, apparently, not many SD restaurants know how to make them correctly.Special Features:
- Good food. Bad service.AngieDined on 8/10/2014We were excited to try out this newer restaurant in the Mission District for lunch after it being recommended by a friend. The food was good and the options were good; however, the service was awful. Our server was not friendly and the responses to questions we had were very vague. Bottom line, if you want good recommendations from the menu, don't ask a server: ask someone who has already eaten there. At least your friends will answer your questions!! Side note: very crowded eating area. Servers had a hard time walking through tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful From Start to FinishmmebearDined on 8/7/2014Our evening started out with a lost reservation & just got worse. They quickly found us a table but we then waited about 10 minutes for our waiter to take our drink order. Which he screwed up (FYI they do NOT have Tanquerey & he subbed without asking). After almost AN HOUR & having not seen our waiter again, we finally complained to the manager...who took (and screwed up as well) our order. Overall just a disappointing evening...drinks were bad, sevice was beyond bad & food was bland & tasteless.
- Good for great locationPDQ619Dined on 8/5/2014Great variety on the menu - had a hard time picking what to have for lunch. Looking forward to going back and trying more.Special Features:
- Place gets better & betterKMBBVIPDined on 8/5/2014Had fish sandwich for lunch. Not sure how they make it so good. Fries were excellent as well...only bummer, no happy hour during lunch.Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/4/2014i love pets. However, allowing a small dog to be up on the dining table followed by the dog drinking from a glass of water did not set right with me. unfortunately, it move a huge damper on the evening.
- Cold potatoes and cold dry biscuitsBMan1008Dined on 8/3/2014Our service was outstanding. We were there for brunch for our first time. We ordered the Crawfish Benedict, the NY Steak and Eggs and a French Toast to be brought out when the first 2 breakfast entrees were finished. The server came back to tell us that they were out of French Toast so we ordered the pancake instead. The Benedict came out with only 1 egg and the biscuit portion was cold & dry along with cold potatoes. The other entree was good also but the biscuit was cold & extremely dry but those potatoes were like warm. Our pancake took an extremely long amount of time and was not fluffy like a pancake but more like a pancake batter that was made on the fly with too much flour in the batter. Maybe it was an off day but that was my last.
- Mission Hills gem-TatiDined on 8/2/2014This is a great place with excellent food. Love the smaller portions offered during happy hour as it allowed us to try a nice selection. Our server Jason was excellent as he made some recommendations that were perfect. This is our 3rd time to this location and we are very pleased with this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch in Mission HillsSonnyDined on 7/31/2014Love the amibiance of this place. Unfortunately, it has become so popular, that it becomes quite noisy, even for lunch mid-week. Have eaten there twice and found the quality of food a bit inconsistent. Service rather impersonal.Special Features:
- Very good food overall, but spottyMissionHillsEatsDined on 7/27/2014The food was very good overall, but quality control was a bit spotty. For instance, the vegetables were way too salty and garlicky which sort of overwhelmed the very deliciously delicate whole fish that the vegetables were meant to accompany.Special Features:
- Great Food but LoudDinerGirlDined on 7/26/2014We really enjoyed dining at the Patio however I would suggest requesting a table away from the kitchen as this is where we sat. It was our first time so never again without requesting the actual patio or front dining room. Other than that.....the food was good if you are into small plates or large plates. I really enjoy traditional dining so the small plate/big plate thing didnt really turn me on. The crowd was vibrant and energetic with a lot going on in the restaurant but it's new so its to be expected. Honestly, it was a nice place to be on a Saturday night but would I go back? Maybe when things die down a bit as it was just so loud I couldnt hear my friends talk or maybe a special occasion.Special Features:
- Worst Meal We've Had in Miss. HillsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2014We are locals and live in Mission Hills. We tried this place because of all the "hype" and were very disappointed. Shocked, actually, at the low quality of food. We ordered watermelon salad, risotto, poutines and grilled shrimp skewer. The salad was the only edible part of the meal. The risotto came out and we thought the order was wrong because it resembled a cheese casserole, lol. It was rice soaked in a heavy salty cream sauce....the rice was literally drowning in it. That is NOT risotto and my husband (risotto is his favorite meal) refused to eat it after two bites. To answer the question of "why didn't you say anything"...we shouldn't have to tell you your food isn't up to par! Not going back...too many other good restaurants nearby.Special Features:
- Mission Hills winnerfreshfreshfreshVIPDined on 7/24/2014Interesting menu and everything is better on the plate than promised by the menu. That is rare.Special Features:
- Good food - great spacePDQ619Dined on 7/24/2014The food was good. The space, setting, & decor are terrific. The service was confused and needs more time to get into a rhythm.Special Features:
- Excellent Lunch...again!KMBBVIPDined on 7/23/2014Enjoyed the open face fish sandwich...not fishy. Shared the Buffala cheese board, which has two unbelievable cheeses on it. Highly recommend. I over-ate a little but it was worth it. Been here several times and seems the service is getting better with each visit. Person I ate with had poke tacos and he really enjoyed them... Friendly staff, lots of people pouring water and food comes out well prepared and consistent. Just a cool place with really good food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014Love the location, ambiance, food and overall vibe of The Patio, not to mention the stunning "living walls". Very nice addition to the Mission Hills restaurant scene. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be backDinersforFoodDined on 7/21/2014Fabulous atmosphere, varied menu with delightfully new ingredients. Loved it.Special Features:
- Terrific Meal with 3 year old girlKMBBVIPDined on 7/20/2014Short rib and octopus for me, cheese pizza and side of fries for three year old (she had a nutritious lunch at least). Spicy ketchup was too spicy for her and the octopus portion was too much food for me so I took home the short rib...which was terrific heated the next day. Highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- Light DinnerLabbieDined on 7/20/2014We had onion soup and small plates this time. The chop chop salad is yummy and certainly different. The crab/crawfish cakes were also enjoyed by my husband. We both enjoyed our soup as it wasn't flavored heavily with the usual beef broth. Cheese on top, delicious! And the bar is always top notch.Special Features:
- Worth a VisitMinouVIPDined on 7/20/2014So glad that there's now a Patio in Mission Hills - I love the one in Pacific Beach and tried the Mission Hills location for breakfast. Food was okay but not outstanding but we loved it just the same.Special Features:
- Epitome of Patio DiningRobertoVIPDined on 7/20/2014I have dined at the Patio Location in Pacific Beach, and I must say this new location in Mission Hills further enhanced on the original concept. Clearly the investor in this project made every effort to ensure there was a high level of consistency and quality in every aspect of the original concept; high quality ingredients/furnishings/tableware, etc. I was very satisfied with my experience at The Patio (on Goldfinch), however the parking availability is clearly an issue for this location, and I feel the restaurant should strongly consider a validated parking option (perhaps with the nearby garage) or some other alternative than the valet charge.Special Features:
- Worth a Second TryDanielDined on 7/19/2014My partner and I had a mixed first experience. The ambience was beautifully appointed, warm and inviting. While we were not able to sit in the back patio seating section we were offered a table next to the front door which turned out to be a bit drafty and removed from the room next to a utility switch wall. While the drinks came late the service was friendly attentive and helpful. The food and drinks were outstanding, however, I did find a rubber-band in my main course. The manager quickly apologized and comped my dinner and dessert which was very nice and appropriate. We decided that this is a new gem in the neighborhood and to definitly return for a second visit but will insist on the more comfortable back patio or fireplace sectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantDonnaEVIPDined on 7/18/2014Appealing decor, good food, reasonable prices, and excellent servers.Special Features:
- Wow can't rave enough!lovefoodandcookingDined on 7/18/2014First dined at the Patio when they hadn't even had their grand opening yet and have been back twice more. Everything is delicious. Our friends ordered the octopus and abalone and we shared a beef and blue cheese flatbread. I had the grilled shrimp, excellent, and my husband had the poke tacos and he was going to give me a bite but then he ate them all, moaning the whole time. Can't wait to try the brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDowntownGirlVIPDined on 7/17/2014I have heard excellent reports from several friends about this new establishment. Unfortunately our experience was not all positive. We had to return one dish because it was very over cooked and too tough to eat. Our replacement choice which was the ahi tower was okay, but nothing exceptional. The daily fish special was excellent. The atmosphere is inviting with good energy. Staff was exceptional pleasant & helpful. Will give a second chanceSpecial Features: