49 E Main Street
Los Gatos, CA 95030Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thepastaria.com/
- Phone: 4083993477
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Su-M 5:00pm-9:00pm
Dinner: T-Th 5:00pm-9:30pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian
- Executive Chef: Devon Coen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Donna Novi 4082023960
A word from The Pastaria
When Donna and Paul first met, they discovered that they shared a common heritage: food-loving Italian families and grandfathers who were chefs. The result of their partnership is a rich collection of authentic family recipes passed down through generations. Raised on Baked Mostaccioli with Aurora sauce, Devon developed a taste for gourmet cuisine at a young age. He trained formally at The Culinary Institute of America at Greystone in Napa so that he can carry on the family tradition of working as a chef.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
The Pastaria - Best Restaurants in Los Gatos ›
The Pastaria reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (77)fit for foodies (45)special occasion (20)romantic (19)kid-friendly (18)notable wine list (11)hot spot (6)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (3)great for lunch (3)good for groups (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Nice Dinner OutDesdeVIPDined on 8/26/2014The place is cute. Small, not a lot of room for a big party. It seemed as though they were understaffed when we went, took the server at least 10-15 min to even acknowledge us. He was very apologetic for having us wait, it seemed as though he was the only server there. Apart from having to wait time to time it was a nice dinner. The food was excellent. I recommend a reservation, we went on a Tuesday and it was packed.Special Features:
- YummmmOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014The kale salad and gnocchi skaldic via are fabulous! So is everything else and the servers are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just fabulousgbtfromsjDined on 8/23/2014What a great little Italian place on the edge of LG downtown. Excellent food and great service in a very cozy little place. I was very impressed by the reasonable prices on the wine list, we had a nice Nebbiolo for $40 which is unheard of LG. Really fresh ingredients and perfect sized portion. The ariabetta gnocchi special was perfect and we paired it with the Fruitti De Mare and had a great dinner. One note to previous reviews: outdoor seating here is not for real, its 2 tiny round tops.Special Features:
- Highly recommended!SirishDined on 8/22/2014My wife and I had several of our friends highly recommend the Pastaria so we weren't surprised that it was good, but the food was even better than we imagined. I had the black truffle chicken pasta and my wife had the Gnocchi special, which was stuffed with house made ricotta cheese. Both were so good that it will be difficult to venture away from those dishes. The service was also amazing -- from the host to the servers to the bus staff. The place is pretty small and cozy so I would definitely recommend reservations.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/22/2014every time we go the food and services is great. we keep returning. It's a quiet neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Simply delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2014Delicious food coupled with comfortable service. I love my neighborhood pasteria.Special Features:
- Good food, slow serviceMattKDined on 8/10/2014Definitely enjoyed the meal. Every dish looked and tasted like it was hand crafted. But the service was quite slow. Waited an inordinate amount of time for the waitress to introduce herself and take a drink order. Waited a long time for the first course and an equally long time for the second. Had to wave her down to get the check too. Other than that, a very good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a level ....RayrayfromNLDined on 8/10/2014We are experienced travelers, both business- and leisure, and have visited many Italian restauarants around the world, incl.Italy. This one is for sure in our TOP 3 of memories, quality and taste of food is realy pure and superb level. Cosy and small restaurant with energetic service-level. They really care about their customers.Special Features:
- Like being in ItalyFoodFanDined on 8/10/2014The Pastaria is a journey to Italy. The smaller sized room and the freshly made pasta are wonderful reminders of the intimate restaurants in Tuscany. Of course, come for the food. Our party of four ordered unique dishes and everyone seemed very happy. So order what sounds good to the stomach, it probably won't mislead you! =Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love outside table when dining sologoodNhealthyDined on 8/7/2014taking into consideration there are approximately 7 italian restaurants within 2 miles here in downtown los gatos...and that i love living 'walking distance': when i want to go out to get my 'italian' fix:La Pastaria is my 1st choice. Seeking reservations on line makes it soo much easier... i absolutely love the low key dining experience when i am at la pastaria, not to mention the ability to sit outside and enjoy the surroundings..to 'relax' with a glass of wine, while i await my oh soo delicious pasta (usually the primavera)...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fresh and quaintscarlettosarahVIPDined on 8/5/2014Wonderful atmosphere, feels like a cozy neighborhood cafe. Fresh made pasta dishes were excellent. One of the imported pasta entrees tasted a bit gummy, but that may have been because they brought it out before we finished appetizers, so it sat staying warm. Lots of vegetarian choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Authentic Italian FoodSpikermikeVIPDined on 7/27/2014This restaurant was a good choice in the Dana Point area. Had a good selection on the menu and the food was very good. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding quality Italian foodFirsttimerDined on 7/26/2014First time diners here. Loved it! Our best Italian find around so far. Very high quality food, good portions, lots of options. Classic Italian options but also some nice nuances and ones that aren't always available. Small dining area so reservations are recommended. Adequate wine list. We'll be back for sure!Special Features:
- Amazing!JennyDined on 7/20/2014Made a last minute reservation for a sunday night...the place was packed! Westin was our server and he provided us with great service from beginning to end. Gnocchi are a must have. We will be back!!!!!Special Features:
- Short-staffed and Over-saucedMisterSeriousVIPDined on 7/20/2014On a recent Sunday night they seemed understaffed with a single server, single bus dude and the manager trying to handle all the tables. The restaurant isn't that large but on Sunday concert in the park days, it gets completely full with many customers with kids who expect fast service and rapid table turns. Table spacing is very close. There is no air conditioning and they leave the front door open on summer nights. Decor is simple. The food is almost all pasta combinations. Dishes tend to be over-sauced in my opinion. I had a serious pasta coma afterward!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pastaria is wonderful!JayceeVIPDined on 7/20/2014Great dinner, flavorful, great presentation, exciting menu, plentiful salad portions, congenial, accommodating staff. Introduced our friend to this great restaurant we have enjoyed over the years. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodAnotherunhappydinerDined on 7/19/2014Good food. Good service. Honored reservation on time....it's a place we will return toSpecial Features:
- Authentic Italian!StephVIPDined on 7/18/2014Some of the best fresh pasta we have ever had, and we have been to Italy a few times! Especially love the pesto dish! Truly a gem!Special Features:
- Gnocchi. I'm happyrwarkovVIPDined on 7/16/2014House made and delicous. Donna and Paul have done a wonderful job since they opened in '96. Consistently good food at fair prices. Very nice wine list too.Special Features:
- CindyVIPDined on 7/12/2014Service was horrible. 20 minutes to take our order. 20 minutes until the salad showed up. Thank God for the bus boy.
- What a little gemNYCgalDined on 7/3/2014This place is great. It is tiny with only 10 tables so that you have to wait if you don't have a reservation. The food is Italian but with an eclectic touch. Everything is fresh and made to order. I had the shaved fennel and kale salad and then penne with wax beans and arugula. Another had the gnocchi with meatballs. Delicious. Wines are reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but not greatAhkenbertDined on 6/23/2014Food was ok. Pasta did not taste like and had the mouth feel of fresh pasta, possibly over cooked. It was Monday. Restaurant was not busy but service was slow. Server took order without writing them down. Sure enough the appetizers were forgotten.Special Features:
- YumBonnieDined on 6/19/2014We actually were surprised at how much we enjoyed our evening at La Pastaria. We live in the neighborhood and the food has always been great but the service....not so much. Well this particular night, the stars aligned and both the service and the food were perfect. If you go, just manage your expectations that the service may lag or.....you may hit it right as we did the other night!Special Features:
- LuvGemsDined on 6/14/2014Great charming place. Great pasta and ambience. Give you the feeling you are dining locally in Italy while in Los Gatos. Owner and all servers are warm, friendly and personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great ServiceTimhr950Dined on 6/4/2014The Pastaria has been serving great Italian food for years. It is a small restaurant with warmth and charm. Whether you choose the evening special, or some of the you'll have a great meal. Due to the quality of food and service, it still draws a crowd and there is normally a line so book reservations.Special Features:
- Have loved The Pastaria for years!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/3/2014This is a family favorite! The food is outstanding. We use many excuses to frequent the joint: just a dinner out, birthdays, visiting guests. Always great.Special Features:
- Food is FreshTonyVIPDined on 5/31/2014The food is amazing. Really enjoyed the fresh pasta.
- WendyVIPDined on 5/28/2014Great as always. Love the homemade pasta. Yum! Any Italian wine is always good. Great cellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truffle RaviolisCS333Dined on 5/28/2014Love the Raviolis. A favorite The wedge was very good. Tiramisu was amazing soaked in espresso.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recent visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/26/2014We had reservations. Most people coming in did not but it was 5:00 so it was pretty early and easy to get a table. For some reason our table was not getting the attention the other tables were. Everyone had bread at their table. We had to ask for bread. We were not offered the wine list. 2 of the 4 dishes were not good. Added Chicken on the Mushroom and Black Truffle. It was delivered to us without Chicken. My "special" was smothered in sauce. There was so much sauce I could not enjoy it. The Frutti de Mar was not a favorite. It was extremely hot. No AC so not a great option on hot days. I have been here a few times and have always liked this restaurant but not this time. The waiter did apologize and bought us desserts which was nice.
- Pasteria is just like Italy!DJayDined on 5/25/2014Daily made fresh pasta is the key to this place. Also all the sauces are amazing. The Black Truffle pasta is amazing. Simple menu with a nice variety. We havent had a dish we didn't love. Try the Baked Brie and Garlic to start. Their Kale Salad is also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very quaintOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/24/2014This is a SMALL restaurant, with only about 10 tables.The food was very good,I would go again.On Saturday night, some guy walks in smoking a cigarette, talks to the receptionist for about 3-4 minutes. She says absolutely nothing about his cigarette.People in the restaurant are all looking around to see where this cigarette smoke is coming from.Finally, my daughter,who suffers from asthma,says something to a server who then finds the manager.By this time everyone's dinner is affected since the whole place smells like cigarettes, and the receptionist does zero. Finally, he is asked to leave. Management needs to know the smoking law and inform their employees!Special Features:
- great atmospherediskokidDined on 5/22/2014This restaurant has a classic Italian food, and with their imported wines, fresh made pasta, and participating owners it provides an excellent Italian dining experience. A must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!JcwalDined on 5/22/2014This place is amazing! The best food I have ever eaten!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Time before EventslglighthouseDined on 5/22/2014We love to visit Pastaria, especially before an event at the high school. Owner and staff are always friendly and attentive. The pasta dishes are rich and savory, full of flavor. We enjoyed Aglio Olio with steak, salad with tri tip, walnut pesto chicken, ravioli, and pomodoro. All delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pasta in the South Baydontpanic503Dined on 5/18/2014This restaurant has ruined other Italian places for me. Quite simply EVERYTHING is good here. Definitely try the gnocchi, and the crab cannelloni if it's on the menu (it's seasonal). It's tiny, so it can get loud with just one rowdy group, and fills up quickly, so get a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Found our gnocchi!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/17/2014I found Pastaria when doing a search for good gnocchi in the area as it's one if our favorite Italian entrees when made correctly. Theirs are delicious! All four if us enjoyed our tasty food! Small, casual restaurant, make reservations! Warning: warm fresh baked bread served...try not to fill up before dinner! We'll be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't botherHappilyDiningVIPDined on 5/10/2014The place was packed, and it's incredibly loud..even in a booth it's hard to hear your companion. The service was very slow and it looks more like a small pizza parlor than nice restaurant. The tables are covered with plastic and you get cheap, paper napkins. Not what I expected at all. The food is good, but IMO that's only part of the equation, and the rest is lacking.
- Super Small Place with Quality FoodSueinCADined on 5/7/2014We had been searching for new pasta places and decided to give this a try on a recent Wednesday night. Food quality was very good. We had a house salad, which was good but nothing unique, Mushroom Agnolotti with meat sauce, Tagiatele with meat sauce and Meat Ravioli. The meat sauce was different from many I have tried, but I liked it. Probably our least favorite was the ravioli which was a bit al dente for our taste. The location is super small so tables are packed together with no privacy from the neighbors. A group of 10 was being seated next to us as we left, so we were glad to be going as it is very loud. Will definitely return to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 41 reviews are from the The Pastaria reviews archive.
- DisappointedKeeksDined on 5/2/2014Made a reservation for 7:45 - got there and all the tables were full. The staff made a bunch of excuses for why they couldn't seat us. Finally, around 8:15 they sat us in the bar. We ordered a bottle of wine, that after 15 minutes, never arrived. Food was decent. Loaded with cheese and extremely greasy.Special Features: